• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Rebirth of the Silver Age?

Meh, well whatever then. It was a horrid story anyway and it's probably the best that I don't really remember anyway

Once cool, now overused and overrated (to me, anyway).

I just say that because Johns had a great run on The Flash, then did Green Lantern Rebirth, Green Lantern, jumped over to Superman, and now he's at the helm of the Blackest Night.

Morrison was one of the guys involved with 52, then a run on Batman, and, of course, he just did Final Crisis.

Just saying between those two writers they had their hands in some of the biggest stories in the DCU in the past few years.

And not to mention Morrison on All Star Superman which was freakin' awesome, by the way. :o

I feel like noting that Neil Gaiman's Metamorpho strip, and to a slightly less extent the Flash strip, in Wednesday Comics are much truer throwbacks to the Silver Age than returning some characters to the living in the DCU proper. Stories full of plot, high concepts, action, and humor.

While, at the same time, the Busiek / Quinones Green Lantern is simply a modern story, with an emphasis on characterization and motivation, with a retro setting rather than a Silver Age story.

Well, as said before earlier in the thread, I don't think anyone was being literal in the rebirth of a Silver Age in the sense of storytelling or characterization, just the SA status quo seemingly become the standard status quo again

Well, as said before earlier in the thread, I don't think anyone was being literal in the rebirth of a Silver Age in the sense of storytelling or characterization, just the SA status quo seemingly become the standard status quo again

Sure, but that's why I think it's important to point out that much of it is more a Bronze Age revival than a Silver Age revival. Similar status quos, but significant difference in stories.

Basically, Metamorpho and Flash in Wednesday Comics are what actual modern day Silver Age style stories would be like. I think they're relevant points of comparison, especially since they've come out since the thread was started.

That maybe true, I don't really know all that much about the Bronze Age.

Last edited:
Bronze Age was the period before GrimGritty. Basically O'Neil/Adams were on Green Arrow/Green Lantern and Batman, Gerber was doing Howard the Duck, when Kirby moved to DC to do New Gods, Byrne/Clairemont were doing Uncanny X-Men, when Perez/Wolfman did New Teen Titans and Starlin did Captain Marvel.

It's really the start of comics growing up, there was a change in the comics code in the early 70s that launched and I think Death of Gwen Stacy around the same time as that.

Was ended by COIE, DKR, Miracleman and Watchmen.

So about early 70s to 84.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back