What do people mean by "back to the Silver Age?"

Lorendiac

Civilian
Reaction score
Over the last few years, I've regularly noticed fellow fans accusing various people at DC of deliberately trying to make the modern DCU revert back to the Silver Age, or words to that effect. I usually found myself scratching my head while muttering, "Gee, whenever I buy a new comic book or TPB collection of a recent arc from DC, I don't get the feeling that they're selling me the Silver Age approach all over again!"

I finally decided that the key problem -- and I've said this before, in other threads -- is that different fans assume, without clearly stating their assumptions, a wide range of answers to the underlying question: "What were the most important distinguishing characteristics of DC's Silver Age?"

If we could reach a general consensus on the correct answer to that question, it would become much easier to figure out whether or not it's "reasonably accurate" to claim that DC has put things in reverse and is frantically dragging its storytelling approach back into Silver Age territory all over again . . . at least in the "most important" respects. Once we all agreed on what the necessary ingredients of a new "Silver Age" ought to look like, then we could at least share a common foundation for the debate as we moved on to loudly disagree about whether or not the aforementioned "second Silver Age" could be a good thing if it happened. Unfortunately, we don't even come close to agreeing on exactly what "reverting back to the Silver Age" means in theory, much less whether or not it's already gradually happening in practice, which makes it very easy for us to simply frustrate and confuse each other as we use the same words ("Silver Age") to mean very different things!

To me, the answer to that question about the Silver Age's key characteristics would start out along these lines:

1. Stories that almost always had a beginning, a middle, and an ending, all in the same issue. And even if a story was serialized in three or four installments, you were never slapped in the face with Big Crossover Events which supposedly "required" you to buy several titles in the same month in order to get "one complete story."

2. Lack of graphic bloodshed. People punched each other, and sometimes people got killed, but it was done in a "sanitary" way without blood splashed all over the page. (This had a lot to do with the rules of the Comics Code Authority.)

3. Old-fashioned rules of moral conduct for people calling themselves "superheroes" -- you didn't see DC superheroes discovering yet another "long-lost illegitimate child" a couple of times a year; nor having one-night stands. (You didn't get any rape scenes, either.)

4. By and large, new stories were not specifically written to appeal first and foremost to a core audience of "diehard fans who have memorized decades of continuity about their favorite characters!"

To expand upon that last point:

Julius Schwartz said in his autobiography that when he pushed for a new-and-improved Flash (Barry Allen, who is often credited with launching DC's Silver Age when he debuted), the conventional wisdom at DC was that the average regular reader of their comics only stayed faithful to the medium for about 4 years. Then, as he got older, he'd move on to other interests, but that was okay because his little brother (or the kid next door, or whomever) would be starting to get interested in comic books at about that time, so the sales figures would stay at satisfactory levels from year to year if the storytelling just stayed reasonably entertaining.

I have seen other sources agree that this was, in fact, the prevailing attitude throughout the 50s and 60s (at Marvel as well as DC, I gather). Accordingly, writers and editors didn't lose much sleep over whether or not a plot twist in a new story would contradict some point which had been mentioned just once in a previous story published 10 or 20 years earlier! Even if they knew it did create a contradiction, they weren't terribly worried about getting a flood of mail from angry fans threatening to cancel their subscriptions because of this! The fanbase was presumed to be far too fluid, with a high turnover rate, for there to be any great need to constantly pander to people who remembered the way things used to be, many long years ago! (Likewise, no one was in the habit of writing stories which required you to know lots of things from previous decades of the hero's adventures in order to appreciate what was happening to him this time around!)

So those four items are crucial factors in what I envision when someone mentions "Silver Age comics" to me.

Has DC recently been "turning back the clock" in any of those four departments? Not that I've noticed! When I look at the stuff they've churned out so far in the first decade of the 21st Century, I really don't find myself thinking: "Gosh, these stories would have worked perfectly in the Silver Age!"

Then I get jarred when I occasionally see other fans complaining that this is exactly what the big movers and shakers at DC are trying to force upon us! Which, of course, has prompted me to do some pondering about what those fans mean by "Silver Age" and what I mean by "Silver Age" . . .

As near as I can tell, some of the people who complain about the Silver Age being regurgitated, right before our very eyes, in DC's recent comics, seem to assume that it goes without saying that the strongest distinguishing characteristics of the Silver Age included such points as who was the regular Green Lantern of that era, who was the regular Supergirl of that era, et cetera.

So they would say:

"Hal Jordan was the Silver Age Green Lantern, and Hal is back as the main Green Lantern of Earth in his own title now -- therefore DC is reverting back to the Silver Age! Kara Zor-El was the Silver Age Supergirl, and a rebooted Kara Zor-El is now the star of her own Supergirl title -- therefore DC is reverting back to the Silver Age! Barry Allen was the Silver Age Flash, and now he's returned to a regular role in the modern continuity (with Final Crisis as the handy excuse for bringing him back) -- therefore DC is reverting back to the Silver Age!"

And so on, and so forth.

None of which persuades me! For instance, I don't see the new Kara Zor-El as being fundamentally the same character as the Kara of the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. And as it now stands, I hardly care whether or not Hal, as opposed to some other GL, is the current star of a "Green Lantern" title set on and around Earth at this exact moment. And I have no idea how long Barry Allen is going to stick around as "The Flash." Whether Hal and Barry, or a couple of other guys, are currently wearing certain costumes and using certain aliases strikes me as pretty trivial, if you want the truth! After all, Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne never cease to be "Superman" and "Batman" for very long, but I don't take that simple fact as "proof" that the editors and writers of their respective titles are Permanently Stuck in a Silver Age Approach! (Nor a Golden Age Approach, for that matter.)

Most of the above is something I wrote on the spur of the moment, several months ago, in one thread where the whole "they're dragging us back into the Silver Age!" complaint had arisen again.

But now I'm interested in hearing your opinions too, so I can see if we have anything roughly resembling a "consensus": What were the key characteristics of the Silver Age, the first time around? Do you think DC is moving things back to whatever it takes to qualify as "the Silver Age approach all over again?"

The Silver Age of Comic Books was a period of artistic advancement and commercial success in mainstream American comic books, predominantly those in the superhero genre. Following the Golden Age of Comic Books and the interregnum the Atomic Age, the Silver Age is considered to cover the period from 1956 to around 1970, and was succeeded by the Bronze and Modern Ages. A number of important comics writers and artists contributed to the era, including writers Stan Lee and Denny O'Neil and artists Jack Kirby and Neal Adams.

Blamed for a rise in juvenile crime, the popularity of superhero comics declined following the Second World War. However, the 1954 implementation of the Comics Code Authority to regulate comic content sparked a resurgence in the genre that began with the introduction of a new version of DC Comics's The Flash in Showcase #4 (October 1956). In response to strong demand, DC began publishing more superhero titles, prompting Marvel Comics to follow suit beginning with Fantastic Four #1. Silver Age comics have become collectible; as of 2008 the most sought-after comic of the era is Spider-Man's debut in Amazing Fantasy #15.

An important feature of the period was the evolution of the character makeup of superheroes. Science fiction and aliens replaced gods and magic. DC Comics sparked the superhero's revival with its publications from 1955 to 1960. Marvel Comics then capitalized on the revived interest in superhero storytelling with sophisticated stories and characterization. In contrast to previous eras, Silver Age characters were "flawed and self-doubting". Young children and girls were targeted during the Silver Age by certain publishers; in particular, Harvey Comics attracted this group with titles such as Little Dot. Adult oriented underground comics also began during the Silver Age. There are several suggested endpoints for the Silver Age, including changes in the Green Lantern series and the death of Spider-Man's girlfriend in a 1973 issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Age_of_Comic_Books

back to the silver age= I'm mad because they've decided to replace my favorite 90's character with the original version.....

back to the silver age= I'm mad because they've decided to replace my favorite 90's character with the original version.....
That just about sums it up.

By the way, expect me to raise hell the moment something happens to Wally now that Barry is back.

Wally West was a 90s character? Barry Allen and Hal Jordan were the originals? Wow, that's pretty amazing or, well, quite wrong, but we can go with amazing

You know what he meant, Teardrop.

Yeah, that's true, I do know, but whenever someone refers to Barry and Hal as the 'originals' I gotta say something now:) At least, I'm assuming that's who he's talking about...

In all fairness, the list also includes Green Arrow, and Ollie really is the original.

Of course, I don't know anyone shedding a tear about Ollie becoming the star of his own book again. We're upset that Connor no longer shoots arrows and his fighting skills and overall significance were nerfed by Judd Winick, but I think everyone was glad to have Ollie back.

Ollie is a Golden Age character :)

First appearance in More Fun Comics #73 in 1941.

Anyway;

The term "returning to the Silver Age" isn't a literal statement - it's figurative of the lack of support anything from 80s/90s later is getting in current comics and the fact that recently some very important landmarks for comic readers have all been broken to revert back to the Silver Age status. It feels like we are falling back into the trap, that was around in the Silver Age, that comic readers have short attention spans and previous events don't matter.

Last edited:
In all fairness, the list also includes Green Arrow, and Ollie really is the original.

Of course, I don't know anyone shedding a tear about Ollie becoming the star of his own book again. We're upset that Connor no longer shoots arrows and his fighting skills and overall significance were nerfed by Judd Winick, but I think everyone was glad to have Ollie back.

Ah, ok. I didn't really know about that situation or anything. I thought he was just referencing the whole Green Lantern/Flash thing. In which case, it kind of bugs me when people call Barry and Hal the 'original' or 'classics'. I wasn't trying to start stuff or anything, just couldn't resist the fanboy within. Plus, usually no one says anything to me whenever I post in the comic forums, so I thought I could say anything:csad:

The term "returning to the Silver Age" isn't a literal statement - it's figurative of the lack of support anything from 80s/90s later is getting in current comics and the fact that recently some very important landmarks for comic readers have all been broken to revert back to the Silver Age status. It feels like we are falling back into the trap, that was around in the Silver Age, that comic readers have short attention spans and previous events don't matter.

I think this is a very good outlook from a lot of people. I don't think anyone thinks we're literally reverting back to Silver Age status. Just seems like the big dogs in charge are all uberly fond of that era.

Ironically, they're not Silver Age-i-fying the things that need to be brought back to their classic status. Like the Marvel Family.

Wally West was a 90s character? Barry Allen and Hal Jordan were the originals? Wow, that's pretty amazing or, well, quite wrong, but we can go with amazing

It's also pretty amazing when fanboys try to deflect the point i'm making by trying to take meanings literally

Yeah, that's true, I do know, but whenever someone refers to Barry and Hal as the 'originals' I gotta say something now:) At least, I'm assuming that's who he's talking about...

but why say something when....you knew what I meant?

oh, because you're a fanboy...and fanboys somehow think that trying to be a smartass on the internet will get you personal brownie points in the real world...

Let's just drop this. We all turn into intolerable pedants every once in a while.

It was just a joke. Someone tries to be funny and you do the same and get heat. Always strange how that happens.

Let's just drop this. We all turn into intolerable pedants every once in a while.

Fine by me. I think I made it very clear that I was being tongue-in-cheek in my latter two posts after I originally quoted him. He then decided to directly insult me. If I wasn't being clear The Batman I just want to say I was, in fact, joking.

It was just a joke. Someone tries to be funny and you do the same and get heat. Always strange how that happens.

Fine by me. I think I made it very clear that I was being tongue-in-cheek in my latter two posts after I originally quoted him. He then decided to directly insult me. If I wasn't being clear The Batman I just want to say I was, in fact, joking.

i apologize...i didnt read those latter posts...

Here's the thing. It's not actually the replacing part that pisses people off. It's the replacing plus making them real ****** at the same time that pisses people off. Lets take Kyle, from the get go he was said to be immune to Parallax because he knew fear. **** that Johns said, Kyle is a ***** who now lets Parallax take over him and the only way to get him back is for Hal to save the day with a ****ing painting. How any of you thought that was great writing is beyond me.

It's also worth pointing out that the manner of the replacing is also objectionable. For example: what if they brought Barry back, made him the star of the Flash book, but also didn't nerf Wally? It's possible. Just have there be two Flashes in the DCU, both equally exceptional in their individual ways. It just happens to be that one of them has a comic book about him, and for now it's Barry. The same could have been done for Kyle.

Instead, both characters were screwed up beyond recognition. You can talk all you want about how Kyle has a prominent role in GLC, but that isn't really Kyle, is it? It's a guy who claims to be Kyle. But Kyle Rayner wasn't a punk ***** that could get taken down by Parallax because his mother died.

No, it's definitely the replacing that pisses me off. The rest is just piss-icing on the s***-cake.

But you can replace a character and have them take part in the universe somewhere else at the same time. Example, having Kyle go over into GLC without making him a ***** ass momma's boy who peed his pants in front of Parallax.

But you can replace a character and have them take part in the universe somewhere else at the same time. Example, having Kyle go over into GLC without making him a ***** ass momma's boy who peed his pants in front of Parallax.

Which makes his replacement bearable. But are you seriously suggesting that I don't mind Hal replacing Kyle, and Kyle getting knocked back to support status?

Which makes his replacement bearable. But are you seriously suggesting that I don't mind Hal replacing Kyle, and Kyle getting knocked back to support status?

That's the thing though, there are ways that you can replace a character and not have him knocked back to support status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"