• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Silver Age Superman is back now and Birthright is the new origin!

Pardon my ignorance here, but what's so silver age about Superman now? I read Birthright when it originally came out and dug it, but someone tell me what hte big deal is in general?

Movies205 said:
Pardon my ignorance here, but what's so silver age about Superman now? I read Birthright when it originally came out and dug it, but someone tell me what hte big deal is in general?

You know the Superman from Superman I and II. Pretty much that.

Darthphere said:
You know the Superman from Superman I and II. Pretty much that.

Isn't that how he's been depicted for a while, i.e. since OWAW, when he was 'meaner' and suposedly 'darker'.

To be fair i dont care what anyone says, Action and Superman are two of the best books around at the moment, IMO. I never thought i would ever give a **** about Zods return, but G.J's recent arc has been brilliant. As has Brusieks, love the bit when Superman causes an exstinction level 'natural disaster' by being flung into the planet.

So he has the power to go back in time now? Will Nuclear man be showing up as well :D

Hopefully, if he does, he'll have that sweet feathered rock star hairdo!

With Donner writing, anything is possbile. :csad:

Movies205 said:
So he has the power to go back in time now? Will Nuclear man be showing up as well
Really Silver Age Superman had the power to go back in time, the last GL ring, the sword of truth, could move planets, knew Lex Luthor since childhood, was Superboy before Superman, had the Supermoblie, and different color kyptonite all over the place.

yahman said:
Isn't that how he's been depicted for a while, i.e. since OWAW, when he was 'meaner' and suposedly 'darker'.

To be fair i dont care what anyone says, Action and Superman are two of the best books around at the moment, IMO. I never thought i would ever give a **** about Zods return, but G.J's recent arc has been brilliant. As has Brusieks, love the bit when Superman causes an exstinction level 'natural disaster' by being flung into the planet.

Sadly, I dont think anyone gives a **** about comic book Zod, theres been like 12 versions of him and none of them have really done ****.

All-Star Superman said:
Really Silver Age Superman had the power to go back in time, the last GL ring, the sword of truth, could move planets, knew Lex Luthor since childhood, was Superboy before Superman, had the Supermoblie, and different color kyptonite all over the place.

So he was basically Superman Prime ?

Darthphere said:
Sadly, I dont think anyone gives a **** about comic book Zod, theres been like 12 versions of him and none of them have really done ****.
That I agree with. So much could be done with Zod but they write him badly. For Tomorrow IMO had the best use of Zod.

Darthphere said:

Agreed, but i do now ..... especiallyb seeing he has a kid.

All-Star Superman said:
Not at SP power level but yea he was pretty much like that.

He's pretty near Silverage power levels at the moment, have you read the most recent issue of Superman ?

yahman said:
Agreed, but i do now ..... especiallyb seeing he has a kid.

See but theres the paradox, why should I care about the kid of a character I could care less about?

I would just like to take a few seconds to put these quotes together in one post to illustrate something for the people who skim threads, or like Doc Destruction. I'll even take out the fanboy accusations, to protect Doc's good name.

An argument on mature-label characters crossing over into their regular comic universes, by Darthphere and Doc Destruction.
Doc Destruction said:
Marvel did the same crap with the Max line, what's so hard to comprehend?
Darthphere responds:
Darthphere said:
Jessica Jones, Nick Fury, Luke Cage, Howard the Duck, Squadron Supreme, Punisher, all former and one current MAX characters that appear in the Marvel universe proper. Explain to me then "Because Marvel does the same crap with the MAX line" how Didio's comments make sense.
The Doc eloquently counters:
Doc Destruction said:
That's okay, trying to have a conversation with you is like hitting yourself in the head with a ball peen hammer, and I'm not in the mood.

Awesome. Note how he avoids answering the question due to acute wrongness

Clarification: Squadron Supreme is showing up in the Ultimate Universe, in an all ages comic.

Oh, are you my big, bad prosecutor now, Not Jake?

I bet you were just grinning from ear to ear while you were having your little quote festival. Well, give yourself a big hug you maniac! GO YOU!

Anyway, the characters from the Max line moved into the 616 verse before they started mixing it up with other characters, so your argument is invalid. I really didn't feel like getting into it, but there it is...

Movies205 said:
So he has the power to go back in time now? Will Nuclear man be showing up as well :D
Probably. Lex Luthor does suck again after all.

Doc Destruction said:
Oh, are you my big, bad prosecutor now, Not Jake?

I bet you were just grinning from ear to ear while you were having your little quote festival. Well, give yourself a big hug you maniac! GO YOU!

Anyway, the characters from the Max line moved into the 616 verse before they started mixing it up with other characters, so your argument is invalid. I really didn't feel like getting into it, but there it is...

Swamp Thing and John Constantine werent originally Vertigo characters, and Tim Hunter isnt even in a comic right now.

Oh, and for the record, I don't see why the Vertigo gang can't mix it up with the regular DC universe, either.

SO wait why would they do this. Does this mean that Lex gets his jollys off from kryptonite like he did in Birthright now. Well i mean honestly who knew what he was doing behind those big led doors at luthor mansion with all that kryptonite.

I kind of understand the logic behind the VertigoDCU characters embargo.

It's the same idea behind don't show smoking in children's TV because then they won't be exposed to it or influenced or don't put 18 movie characters into PG movies because then the kids won't go out to search for the 18 movie.

However, in comics I don't think it really work comics are hardly for kids - and I don't think anyone is asking for Swamp Thing to show up in Teen Titans Go or Constantine to guest in The Batman because that defiantly would cause a problem.

Comic publishers when they respond to criticism saying that comics can be rather mature say "comics aren't for kids. we have comic lines for kids the main comics can be quite adult in some nature (Infinite Crisis was multilayered & violent) so parents should read through comics first before giving them to kids".

But then they say Vertigo is for adults not kids so Vertigo characters don't appear in the main DC line.

It doesn't make sense both statements oppose each other.

For me it sounds like an agreement that has been dreamed up by Veritgo/DCU lawyers who are telling the publishers how to adhere to the censorship laws.

But if Constantine showed up in Shadowpact for instance, whats the problem as long as he doesnt curse or do any other objectionable thing? It seems hypocritical that we have a comic where the blue Beetle had his brains blown out, on panel and that a smoking british man is unacceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"