The Rings of Power Season 1 Episode 4 "The Great Wave"

I liked the episodes myself, but I'm ready for this show to kick into high gear already. I can be really patient when it comes to shows like this taking their time with the world building and developing characters, but it honestly feels like not much has actually happened since the first episode eventhough there is stuff happening.
Feel the exact same way.

It's interesting that people feel this way. I feel like a lot is happening and developing, especially in this last episode.

I wonder where the disconnect is for some. Is it because everything is being parcelled out in multiple separate storylines?

It's interesting that people feel this way. I feel like a lot is happening and developing, especially in this last episode.

I wonder where the disconnect is for some. Is it because everything is being parcelled out in multiple separate storylines?
Maybe? I'm struggling to care about anyone. :( I was mostly bored with this episode.

I liked the episodes myself, but I'm ready for this show to kick into high gear already. I can be really patient when it comes to shows like this taking their time with the world building and developing characters, but it honestly feels like not much has actually happened since the first episode eventhough there is stuff happening.

I found myself zoning out a bit at times while watching this episode outside of the stuff with Durin, Elrond and Disa and the stuff with the Orcs which has become more interesting than I thought it would be. Hopefully, these last couple of episodes are much better pacing wise and end this show on a high note.
It's halfway through the first season. From what I've seen of the writers, I won't be surprised if we have a couple of reveals over the next few episodes and end episode 8 on a cliffhanger. If that happens, I'm not happy. I don't want to be in the situation of a slow first season and then have "and now we wait".

It's halfway through the first season. From what I've seen of the writers, I won't be surprised if we have a couple of reveals over the next few episodes and end episode 8 on a cliffhanger. If that happens, I'm not happy. I don't want to be in the situation of a slow first season and then have "and now we wait".
It will certainly eliminate fence sitters like me. Too many other good shows elsewhere.

I found myself zoning out a bit at times while watching this episode outside of the stuff with Durin, Elrond and Disa and the stuff with the Orcs which has become more interesting than I thought it would be. Hopefully, these last couple of episodes are much better pacing wise and end this show on a high note.
I actually felt the opposite: this seemed like the episode when things finally got moving. The first three episodes were lots of jumping around and planting mystery boxes. This was the first episode where we really got some extended time with just two storylines. OK, technically three but they are very rapidly slamming the Galadriel/Numenor and Southlands narratives together, so it really works as one here. As a result this ep moved at a much quicker pace for me. Looking forward to the next one.

LOL. Yeah, that hit really weird in the episode, like way too modern a concept. But that said, it’s something I can see if you had a society with a mix of mortals and immortals. I mean, how many businesses use their age in their marketing? “John Smith Co., Since 1925” type stuff. How you gonna compete with “Feanor Industries, Since Before the Dawn of Time”?

LOL. Yeah, that hit really weird in the episode, like way too modern a concept. But that said, it’s something I can see if you had a society with a mix of mortals and immortals. I mean, how many businesses use their age in their marketing? “John Smith Co., Since 1925” type stuff. How you gonna compete with “Feanor Industries, Since Before the Dawn of Time”?
Hee hee, true. :p

It's not. I don't worry too much about it, though I wish they had just done this story with other names. I find it a little distracting when they put the name, for example, Galadriel on someone who was completely different soon after her arrival in Middle Earth in the 1st age (at the very latest). I mean, they aren't following the storyline and timeline of events (and often the events themselves) so I don't worry too much about the mischaracterization of the players.

Wasn't that the implication of the first episode. They first showed her on the aftermath of a battle, not in armor, but in robes tending to the dead. She didn't pick up the sword till after her brother's death. I don't know much beyond the movies, and I don't particularly care to. I have seen enough people argue elsewhere that it isn't completely off the rail interpretation, so whatever.

The timeline presented may make good lore. But lore doesn't necessarily translate into good stories or storytelling. I know there is some compression of timelines. But how important are dates and times to a story, really?

DIbeeYtXYAAlZRP

Wasn't that the implication of the first episode. They first showed her on the aftermath of a battle, not in armor, but in robes tending to the dead. She didn't pick up the sword till after her brother's death. I don't know much beyond the movies, and I don't particularly care to. I have seen enough people argue elsewhere that it isn't completely off the rail interpretation, so whatever.

The timeline presented may make good lore. But lore doesn't necessarily translate into good stories or storytelling. I know there is some compression of timelines. But how important are dates and times to a story, really?

DIbeeYtXYAAlZRP

Everyone can have their own views on the interpretation but I have a very hard time consolidating the oldest elf that we're following, who possesses great wisdom even by elven standards and is more known for magic than battle prowess, with the character that is here represented as someone that consistently fits the "young, rebellious warrior" archetype. This Galadriel is so lacking in wisdom that she has to be told to stop and think by humans, and not to see very deep meanings but rather just to not be foolish. Even having just seen the film trilogy the difference in characterization must be jarring, seeing how Galadriel is already very old at this point and isn't in some elf teenager stage to mature later.

It feels like they could just as well have made another new character like Arondir to fit that role if they seemingly want a young, angry elf, lacking in wisdom, that's searching for Sauron.

For me the main problem isn't the lore though as even when I try to disregard that I don't think the show is very compelling as it is. I don't feel that the character are engaging, the story is yet to point to anything that I don't need to look at the lore to find interest in, and overall I never really get a real Tolkien feel.

The Hobbit trilogy was deeply flawed but it had it's moments where it really did feel like Tolkien and this show is yet to come close to that.

"Dey tuk er jerbs" was a little funny but I did like how Pharazon handled the crowd. He's keeping the peace while still feeding in to the Numenor exceptionalism.

I thnk the murky timescale of her life has impacted it for me. Losing her brother is fine motivation for change but the way it's presented in the show, it feels like she has spent a very long time hunting for vengeance and not been particularly good at it. She has achieved little, is very head-strong and challenges everyone, and doesn't seem to have learned much until the show started. I think this very same character arc might have worked a lot better if she was introduced in the present as the more traditional elf queen, who decides now to chase up a lead about Sauron.

Did anyone catch a glimpse on Narsil behind galadriel in the chamber of Tar Palantir?
it was 100% identical to the design of the movie trilogy. I have a picture on my iPad and post it here later

C2FFFF25-EAB6-45B2-9F56-B5798F5214A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Did anyone catch a glimpse on Narsil behind galadriel in the chamber of Tar Palantir?
it was 100% identical to the design of the movie trilogy. I have a picture on my iPad and post it here later

Yeah I saw it. Did the Dicaprio meme. Unmistakable hilt.

This week's episode definitely was the strongest so far imo. That said, my boyfriend has opted out at this point. Said he might binge it by the end of the season. This makes me a bit sad tbh because he is the bigger LOTR fan and was quite excited about the show initially. :(

The first three episodes were definitely lacking a bit in forward momentum and urgency. We know significant conflicts are coming in the future. Evil is rising and all that, but we're not there yet. It felt like we were setting the stage for more interesting things to come.

They did kinda turn that around with this episode. Most of the storylines actually progressed and the stakes felt a bit higher. We probably should've been at this point earlier, but I hope they can keep it up!

This week's episode definitely was the strongest so far imo. That said, my boyfriend has opted out at this point. Said he might binge it by the end of the season. This makes me a bit sad tbh because he is the bigger LOTR fan and was quite excited about the show initially. :(

The first three episodes were definitely lacking a bit in forward momentum and urgency. We know significant conflicts are coming in the future. Evil is rising and all that, but we're not there yet. It felt like we were setting the stage for more interesting things to come.

They did kinda turn that around with this episode. Most of the storylines actually progressed and the stakes felt a bit higher. We probably should've been at this point earlier, but I hope they can keep it up!
I also like the last episode but this is what I was afraid of. I love long setups more than most, but if you don’t engage from the off, not everyone sees your payoffs. You want everyone watching these at the same time for maximum hype/momentum. A shame that your boyfriend dropped out for now as I imagine it’s more fun to watch these together, but hopefully next episode kicks things up massively so he is forced to rejoin. :yay:

View attachment 58754
Thanks, I missed it (am generally unobservant :D ).

View attachment 58754
I wonder what Elendil’s sword was doing in Tar-Palantir’s crib?

Probably not Elendil‘s sword yet. Maybe it has something to do with the heritage of the Numenorian kings and Tar Miriel will give it to Elendil, when he leaves Numenor forever

are these episode threads spoiler or no spoilers?

I assume spoilers, as it's a discussion thread for the episode.
Yeah, spoilers up to the episode of the thread are fine in episode threads. No reason for people to click on these after the episode is out if they haven’t already seen it.

First scene with Adar was great. What a fascinating character.

Definitely! It was interesting to see how he seems to have genuine compassion for the orcs and that they seem to care about one another. I don’t mind orcs being fairly one-dimensional villains like in Jackson’s movies but I’m all for giving them a little more depth. I’ve read some really intriguing theories about Adar’s true identity; there is a lot to unpack there (potentially).

Also, if anyone is interested, Joseph Mawle (Adar) played probably the best Odysseus I’ve ever seen in Netflix’s Troy limited series. I highly recommend the show for anyone who is a fan of Greek mythology.

Definitely! It was interesting to see how he seems to have genuine compassion for the orcs and that they seem to care about one another. I don’t mind orcs being fairly one-dimensional villains like in Jackson’s movies but I’m all for giving them a little more depth. I’ve read some really intriguing theories about Adar’s true identity; there is a lot to unpack there (potentially).

Also, if anyone is interested, Joseph Mawle (Adar) played probably the best Odysseus I’ve ever seen in Netflix’s Troy limited series. I highly recommend the show for anyone who is a fan of Greek mythology.
Never knew the Troy series existed. I'll have to check it out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"