Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Good move on getting her in a larger capacity for season two. Her episode was definitely the best paced, written and overal most dramatically successful of season one. As much as I liked and didn’t mind how season one was handled, now that we’ve got all of the pieces on the board and the settings dressed, the show can move at a more brisk and even pace.
Which episode did she direct?

Which episode did she direct?

Episode six. The one where the two battles in the village happen, two of the major plot lines (Galadriel/Numenor and the Southlands) converge and the volcano finally erupts. Pretty much the episode. It was a big turning point in the season.

Basically, I’m saying that getting her for the entire second season is a great get, because it likely means much more consistency in terms of storytelling and pacing, which was one of the biggest complaints of the first season. We spent time with all of these characters in the first season and established the groundwork. Now, the next season can pretty much hit the ground running and move at a slightly faster, more level pace.

Last edited:
Episode six. The one where the two battles in the village happen, two of the major plot lines (Galadriel/Numenor and the Southlands) converge and the volcano finally erupts. Pretty much the episode. It was a big turning point in the season.

Basically, I’m saying that getting her for the entire second season is a great get, because it likely means much more consistency in terms of storytelling and pacing, which was one of the biggest complaints of the first season. We spent time with all of these characters in the first season and established the groundwork. Now, the next season can pretty much hit the ground running and move at a slightly faster, more level pace.
Oh yeah, that is a good sign then. I hope we see a marked improvement next time out and that the show can win back any doubters.

Amazon Studios: Big Swings Hampered by Confusion and Frustration – The Hollywood Reporter
While Amazon, like other streamers, provides only limited data — and internally, it held information even more closely than usual on the series — sources confirm that The Rings of Power had a 37 percent domestic completion rate (customers who watched the entire series). Overseas, it reached 45 percent. (A 50 percent completion rate would be a solid but not spectacular result, according to insiders). The show has not been a major awards contender, either, overlooked by the major guilds with the exception of one SAG-AFTRA nomination for stunt ensemble.

Last edited:
Yeah... I've stewed on it for a few months after a second rewatch and it's just... kinda not good. :/

Last edited:
I still haven't watched the final episode. Just know desire to after how Mordor was handled and doing absolutely nothing of interest with Sauron.

I'd have to watch it through again to even remember most of it, but I won't expend that energy until the next season gets a lot closer, if at all. It wasn't terribly exciting.

That 37% completion rate is terrible, especially when they put down an extreme amount of money to get the show done. It's especially bad when looking at some comparable HBO hits that ended the first seasons with more viewers than they started with.

They can't defend themselves with that they had much setup to do either since a show like GoT had even more to set up, as there are more characters and more places of interest, as well as that it was the first time anyone that hadn't read the books got introduced to that world.

That 37% completion rate is terrible, especially when they put down an extreme amount of money to get the show done. It's especially bad when looking at some comparable HBO hits that ended the first seasons with more viewers than they started with.

They can't defend themselves with that they had much setup to do either since a show like GoT had even more to set up, as there are more characters and more places of interest, as well as that it was the first time anyone that hadn't read the books got introduced to that world.
Yeah, feels like a bit of a disaster for all that effort. It won't go 5 seasons or however many were planned if the others are received with the enthusiasm that season 1 was.

Once again, I find myself asking questions with respect to what material Amazon actually has legal access to. This show was never going to reach its full potential without material from The Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion. If they were limited to just The Lord of Rings Appendices, then it's no wonder the showrunners had to make up a whole bunch of stuff. And unfortunately, the stuff they've had to make up is largely uninteresting and cliched. They've not endeavored to do anything particularly new.

If the Estate wasn't willing to work with Amazon and approve access to material on a case-by-case basis, there was really no point in doing this to begin with. Certainly not for the amount of money Amazon spent.

If that 37% completion rate stuff is accurate than Season 2 is in a whole lot of trouble right now, because the chances of the audience for this show growing looks pretty much slim to none.

Amazon spent way too much on this for it not to retain even half of the audience that tuned in for the premiere and it looks even worse when you compare it to shows like HOTD and TLOU which grew exponentially every week due to great buzz/WOM and probably didn't cost half as much as ROP did either.

Now, I'll still check out Season 2 out because I enjoyed the first season enough but if the pacing isn't better or if we don't get more episodes like episode 7 than the show isn't lasting very long IMO.

I stopped after one episode. For all the expense, it was such a poorly told episode of a property I love, I couldn't deal with the fan fic to come. After what I've read, I was right.

lol, this is gonna suck

They can't really afford to cut corners in season 2 after misfiring in season 1. People who are unhappy with both seasons aren't going to come back for a season 3 even if it then happens to start getting great.

They can't really afford to cut corners in season 2 after misfiring in season 1. People who are unhappy with both seasons aren't going to come back for a season 3 even if it then happens to start getting great.
It's going to take a lot for me to make it through a second second if it's as choppy as the first. There were some bits I liked -- the hobbity people and the Dwarves -- and a lot I didn't-- almost all of the humans. :(

They spent so much money on this they are reluctant to can it. They just don't get that pretty sets don't equal a great story.

S2 was pretty much gonna be their last chance to win over their audience (I personally never made it past episode 3 of S1...). So much for that, I guess. :funny:
You made it to episode 3?

0bc903b2-8dbf-41eb-a6b1-2bb0d6f40337_text.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"