The Rings of Power Season 1 Episode 5 "Partings"

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
OvvfST7.jpg

Nice. Time for them to up the ante and for people’s paths to cross.

By the end of the episode it looks like we are finally moving into the business end of the show. Good to see various characters coming together. Even the guy from the sky storyline is progressing.

Disa’s table :D

Very nice, but brief tree/balrog/elf shot.

Yep, loved this episode. We got more insight into Gil-galad and why he’s been kind of a manipulative jerk up to this point. The Elrond/Durin friendship continues to be another highlight. They have a bit of a Legolas/Gimli dynamic but it’s also it’s own thing because you can feel that these are two characters who have known each other for a long time and know how to win one another over.

I must say it was a surprise to see Isildur’s sister and Prince Valiant try and sabotage the mission. I wasn’t sure where they were going with those characters but I didn’t think that was the direction. I don’t think Earien actually knew about the plan to blow up the ship, though. I think that she’s mostly just understandably concerned that she could lose her father and brother.

Speaking of which, I’m also digging Isildur’s relationship with his friends. Their dynamic is really enjoyable.

The Galadriel/Halbrand relationship is also really growing on me; when both of them let their guards down, it was a nice moment. I still don’t think Halbrand (Anti-gorn) is Sauron; I think he’s a red herring, at least for book readers (mostly since we see him advising Pharazon and smithing). But I do think he’ll have a dark and tragic ending, helping the heroes and winning battles for them but ultimately falling to the power of the Ring. I like the Witch King theory and I’m sticking with it.

Lastly, the scene of tavern owner guy and Adar was interesting. I’m not sure what was going on there exactly. Adar seemed… offended when he called him Sauron? Perhaps he’s not actually working for the dark lord and is instead trying to replace him? I do think it was odd that Adar was willing to (apparently) sacrifice the young kid in order let the old man prove his loyalty. Just speaking practically, you’d think it would be the other way around since you could hypothetically get more longevity out of the kid as one of your soldiers. But perhaps he knew that the kid wasn’t sold on joining up with the orcs and figured he would eventually take off.

Regarding Halbrand:

Right now I'm thinking he's one of the Nazgûl (maybe even the Witch-king himself) or the King of the Dead. The Sauron hints are becoming so obvious that it has to be a misdirect.

He's supposedly the heir to a southern kingdom. The Nazgûl were all kings and lord of Men.

He seems really resistant to fighting wars. Perhaps he shuns Isildur during the War of the Last Alliance.

So, as a non-Simorillion reader --

..the Mithril is in the jewel that Aragorn got from his girlfriend when he left Rivendale?

I'm interested to see where the Adar storyline is going, when the old man assumed he was Sauron, it looked like (to me at least) that he genuinely hated that name

It's possible that Adar is in conflict with Sauron. It is also possible that he is not, and simply didn't appreciate the name 'Sauron' as it's basically a derogatory term if you're on the guy's side.

So, as a non-Simorillion reader --

..the Mithril is in the jewel that Aragorn got from his girlfriend when he left Rivendale?
Mithril has nothing to do with just about anything other than being a very valuable, and great, metal for the works of the dwarves.

While PJ didn't stray as far as Amazon did, he got pretty far afield himself. I don't pay attention to much of what he did in the movies and very little to the events being portrayed in this show.

When Adar said in episode 4 that the Elves have been told many lies, he wasn't kidding!

Mithril has nothing to do with just about anything other than being a very valuable, and great, metal for the works of the dwarves.

While PJ didn't stray as far as Amazon did, he got pretty far afield himself. I don't pay attention to much of what he did in the movies and very little to the events being portrayed in this show.
Okay, I thought maybe I had missed something somewhere.... :p

It felt like we hit the breaks again after the slightly quicker pacing of episode 4. Though I'm still really excited to see how things pay off (presumably) next week. From the teaser, it looks to be a big episode. Durin and Elrond were a big highlight again this week as well. I guess a part of my lack of enjoyment is also from my boyfriend refusing to watch this anymore. It's not the same tbh.

It felt like we hit the breaks again after the slightly quicker pacing of episode 4. Though I'm still really excited to see how things pay off (presumably) next week. From the teaser, it looks to be a big episode. Durin and Elrond were a big highlight again this week as well. I guess a part of my lack of enjoyment is also from my boyfriend refusing to watch this anymore. It's not the same tbh.

You tell him that "I" said he can suck it up for one hour a week to make his girlfriend happy. :funny:

I've actually gone clothes shopping with my wife before (until I just couldn't anymore unless the store has a couch and a TV LOL). It consists of her slowly walking down an aisle, looking at everything for about 25 seconds, putting most of it back, taking a few of the things she's pulled out to try on, coming out after trying on each article of clothing and asking me what I think, me saying "it looks fine", putting virtually all of them back on the rack, and after about 2 or 3 hours, she's bought one or two things. :wall::wall::wall:
He can watch RoP. :funny:

Me shopping consists of walking down the shirt and pants aisle, grabbing about 7 things, checking to see if they fit, buying what does, and going home.

Competition perhaps?

Adar did say he wanted to be a god. I imagine Sauron would object.

Loved this episode. The song was amazing. I loved Galadriel handling all those trainees. As always, Elrond and Durin are amazing. I am finding I am enjoying the slower pace of the show. Its a pity it is only 8 episodes, instead of more, to fully use the slower pace.

At this point, I feel we haven't actually seen Sauron. It seems obvious to me that he has been manipulating the elves, what with the tree and fear of their loss of immortality.

I love the armour they’re all wearing at the end. They all seem very positive and have accepted Galadriel as a senior figure and one they give respect to/like. I’ve always loved seas/navies/ships in fantasy so it’s great to see this aspect in LotR. Hopefully next episode is where all the payoff really starts to all this buildup.

Loved this episode. The song was amazing. I loved Galadriel handling all those trainees. As always, Elrond and Durin are amazing. I am finding I am enjoying the slower pace of the show. Its a pity it is only 8 episodes, instead of more, to fully use the slower pace.

At this point, I feel we haven't actually seen Sauron. It seems obvious to me that he has been manipulating the elves, what with the tree and fear of their loss of immortality.
Oh yes forgot to mention the song. I really loved that and even the first time I watched this episode, I skipped back and watched it again before continuing.

Warrior Galadriel is working for me (I’ve always loved battlemages when it comes to fantasy) and it’s great to see her with the others who are now willing to follow her.

This show needed a minimum of 10 episodes IMO. I wouldn’t have complained with 12. I don’t want to already be past the halfway point with only 3 left to go.

Well, I guess I got my wish. I thought the first few episodes were way too slow, now things are flying along at ludicrous speed. I’m enjoying everything with the dwarves and hobbits the most. All the Numenor/Mordor stuff is racing along way too quickly. It’s fun to watch but I can’t get invested in any of the characters. But at least there’s a lot of great costumes, action and appropriately hammy acting. The most disappointing aspect to me so far is everything to do with the elf storyline in Eregion. I am Celebrimbored to tears by these segments. We desperately need Annatar to show up soon and add a little zip to this part.

Yeah, forgot to mention the song in my little review. LOVED it. I’ve listened to it on Spotify a lot the past couple days.

I also agree that we either haven’t seen Sauron, or he’s NOT any of the primary suspects (Halbrand, the Stranger, Adar, the Dweller). We know that he’s a shapeshifter… who’s to say he hasn’t shapshifted into someone else and taken his/her place? I don’t know, but I’m a little suspicious of Gil-galad right now. Probably not, but I think it’s possible. As the guy from Nerd of the Rings pointed out this week, we have to be rooting for Gil-galad once the Last Alliance happens. Right now, he’s been a bit unlikable (at least for some fans). Of course, if he is to be believed, he’s been manipulating things for good reasons and a lot can happen in 5 seasons to make us like him. But if it’s all a ruse and the real Gil-galad is imprisoned somewhere, then it wouldn’t be too hard to root for the real Gil-galad once all is revealed.

I’m probably wrong but I don’t know. I don’t think any of the current suspects are Sauron.

Can someone tells me who were the people at The Stranger crash site ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"