The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Snowy Cemetary

Super Jim

Sidekick
Reaction score
Over in my other thread, titled "The Scene Gwen Stacy Died", a discussion started because I posted the following picture:

b354d_amazing-1.jpg

I posted it because I was (only somewhat joking) trying to say "what if this is Peter at Gwen's grave?". Mainly I indicated that it was likely just him talking with Uncle Ben or Captain Stacy, but what if?

Anyway, someone mentioned how it appears that there is snow on the ground in this picture, and that promted a lot of timeline related issues for this movie, since we have seen so many trailer pics and how we know Peter and Gwen's High School graduation is shown.

So, first question...

Is that snow?

Simple question, but critical to this discussion.

If yes, as it appears to be, then we need to determine how this can be in this film. First, let's discuss whom Peter might be visiting at a cemetary.

The logical conclusions would be:

1. Uncle Ben
2. Captain Stacy
3. Gwen
4. Harry
5. Norman
6. Aunt May
7. His parents
8. Someone else

Now lets break down the possibility, and the logical reason and timeframe for each:

1. Uncle Ben. Ok, this one makes possibly the most sense. But when would this be? All we know is that during Peter's senior year (in TASM1) it was either summer/fall or spring/summer. We never saw snow or cold weather during that movie, so it wasn't winter. I gues I always assumed it was spring time when Uncle Ben died, and then later Spring when Captain Stacy died. If it was spring, then this scene would likely be towards the end of TASM2, since we can likely assume we will see their graduation towards the beginning. Also, why would Peter go visit Ben, just to say "what's up?"?

2. Captain Stacy. Again, what was the season when he died? If it was early in the school year, say September or October, then maybe Peter would go visit Captain Stacy's grave in the winter. But if it was in the spirng, as it sure seemed, then this scene would need to be from the next winter, which would be months later. If Peter started dating Gwen (after promising not to) and felt he needed to talk with Captain Stacy about this, wouldn't it be in the Spring time? Doesn't make a lot of sense, if this is a winter scene, for him to be talking to Captain Stacy, unless the first film was in the fall.

3. Gwen. Well, this one seems to make a lot of sense, but even still the timeline issue if iffy. Now I've been one of the main people saying that Gwen was buying it in this film, and even with all of the evidence I've shown I haven't been able to convince many. But if Gwen dies in this movie, at this point:

spiderman-clocktower.jpg

What timeline (season) is this? It does seem to be from the same timeframe as:

maxresdefault.jpg

Which doesn't appear to be winter. Looks more like summer to me.

Would Peter be shown visiting Gwen's grave months after she died? If so, why?

4. Harry. Yes, Harry could die in this film and Harry may be shown visiting his grave, but same question. Why in the winter, months after when Harry would die.

5. Norman. Come on, are they really going to kill off such a great actor without actually using him? Plus why would Harry go to his grave? I don't see this one.

6. Aunt May. They kill Aunt May and I'm not going to watch any more Amazing Spider-Man movies, period. Come on, ain't gonna happen.

7. Peter's parents. Why would he have never been shown visiting before? Even beyond that, when would he visit and why? There would need to be a purpose for us being shown this.

8. Someone else. Who?

So really, this makes almost no sense. Are we sure that is snow, because if it's not maybe things will make more sense. I am so confused by this pic!

Did this really need a whole new thread? I think it's safe to say that the cemetery scene goes with the other scenes that show Peter wearing the same clothing and Gwen wearing a heavy jacket as well, which means that it most likely isn't Gwen's tombstone that he's visiting. I have a theory regarding the placement of the graduation scene in the 'scene Gwen Stacy Died' thread.

I just want to add that she could still die, but I think that the cemetery scene and the rooftop scenes are not in any way related to that.

^ Well, first the amount of discussion that started in the "Scene Gwen Stacy Died" thread was significant and was starting to take away from the general purpose of that thread question of "will Gwen die". The amount of discussion about that cemetary shot dictated the need for this thread.

Next, I just went though a long discussion in that thread proving that you are incorrect, the clothing does not match. Peter is seen wearing both white and gray tee-shirts at different points and the gray he is wearing on the roof top and at the cemetary is different than the white he is wearing at graduation and on his date.

I also proved that the date scene most definitelly happens directly after his fight with Aleskei, which without a doubt takes place in Spring or Summer!

So, the outlier is still the cemetary if indeed that is snow on the ground. No one has difitively indicated that they believe it is snow. Anyone want to speculate/put themself out there on that question?

If it is snow, then the timeline doesn't make sense.

The movie starts with Aleskei, which is Spring or Summer.

The date happens right after, which means Spring or Summer.

Graduation happens either before or not too long after, which we all know happens in early summer.

So, when would this snowy (if it is snow) cemetary scene happen?

If it's the next winter, how exactly will we jump 6-7 months during this film, and if we are jumping that much it likely makes it towards the end of the film, meaning the likely candidates for whose grave it is is Harry or... Gwen!

^ Well, first the amount of discussion that started in the "Scene Gwen Stacy Died" thread was significant and was starting to take away from the general purpose of that thread question of "will Gwen die". The amount of discussion about that cemetary shot dictated the need for this thread.

Next, I just went though a long discussion in that thread proving that you are incorrect, the clothing does not match. Peter is seen wearing both white and gray tee-shirts at different points and the gray he is wearing on the roof top and at the cemetary is different than the white he is wearing at graduation and on his date.

I also proved that the date scene most definitelly happens directly after his fight with Aleskei, which without a doubt takes place in Spring or Summer!

So, the outlier is still the cemetary if indeed that is snow on the ground. No one has difitively indicated that they believe it is snow. Anyone want to speculate/put themself out there on that question?

If it is snow, then the timeline doesn't make sense.

The movie starts with Aleskei, which is Spring or Summer.

The date happens right after, which means Spring or Summer.

Graduation happens either before or not too long after, which we all know happens in early summer.

So, when would this snowy (if it is snow) cemetary scene happen?

If it's the next winter, how exactly will we jump 6-7 months during this film, and if we are jumping that much it likely makes it towards the end of the film, meaning the likely candidates for whose grave it is is Harry or... Gwen!

I think your right Super Jim.

No Super Jim. I'm sorry, but you haven't convinced me. I really think you're wrong about this. First of all, I never said that the clothes he was wearing in the graduation scene were the same as the ones on the rooftop. They're obviously not. He's wearing shorts and a white t-shirt at graduation. I just said that they both looked like they took place in early summer/ late Spring.

but these do look the same:

Gray t-shirt and blue jeans with Gwen Stacy.

emma-andrew-spiderman-2-pic333.jpg

Andrew and his stunt double wearing the same short sleeved gray t-shirt and blue jeans (with some extra padding on Andrew's arms and legs for a stunt). The design on the front matches the one in the previous pic.

Andrew%2BGarfield%2BAmazing%2BSpider%2BMan%2B2%2BFilms%2ByveZh0gARm9l.jpg

below what appears to be the same gray t-shirt and blue jeans. Just look at the texture of the shirt.

cast-and-crew-commentary-for-the-amazing-spider-man-2-trailer-preview.jpg

So, unless that's the ghost of Gwen Stacy walking around, I don't think he's sulking about Gwen being dead.

Second of all, I firmly believe that (edit: the scenes below) take place at around the same time:

Emma-Stone-Andrew-Garfield-Filming-Amazing-Spider-Man-2.jpg

_1386254970.jpg

Gwen and Peter are both dressed for Winter. Same hair and same jacket on Peter. If it were to take place at completely different points in time (years/months apart as speculated), I don't think that they would have Andrew looking almost exactly the same (considering that he and Emma go through tons of various outfits and jackets within the movie). I could see where you are coming from with regards to the shirt looking a bit more gray in the cemetery, but I believe that it's just the lighting. Ever taken an art class before? Colors reflect off of objects and clothing. Notice that the snow has a more bluish gray hue to it as well. Also notice that it was a still taken from the trailer, as opposed to a paparazzi or set photograph.

_1386254970.jpg

compare it to this:

9y4a.png

If you look back at the trailer at some points the undershirt isn't even visible in that same scene with Gwen. So there's definitely some inconsistency.

ehsd.png

What I will say though is that it appears that he isn't wearing the backpack at the cemetery, but I believe that he most likely put it down (or took something out of it) when he got there.

I will reiterate that Gwen could still die. There is still a whole funeral scene that we haven't even seen yet and it could be her's. If you wanted to argue that, then I really have nothing to say other than it could potentially be someone else's. With regards to the scenes above, I don't think that they really have anything to do with Gwen's death.

Last edited:
just remember that not every scene we have scene will make it into the final cut

No Super Jim. I'm sorry, but you haven't convinced me. I really think you're wrong about this. First of all, I never said that the clothes he was wearing in the graduation scene were the same as the ones on the rooftop. They're obviously not. He's wearing shorts and a white t-shirt at graduation. I just said that they both looked like they took place in early summer/ late Spring.

but these do look the same:

Gray t-shirt and blue jeans with Gwen Stacy.

emma-andrew-spiderman-2-pic333.jpg

Andrew and his stunt double wearing the same short sleeved gray t-shirt and blue jeans (with some extra padding on Andrew's arms and legs for a stunt). The design on the front matches the one in the previous pic.

Andrew%2BGarfield%2BAmazing%2BSpider%2BMan%2B2%2BFilms%2ByveZh0gARm9l.jpg

below what appears to be the same gray t-shirt and blue jeans. Just look at the texture of the shirt.

cast-and-crew-commentary-for-the-amazing-spider-man-2-trailer-preview.jpg

So, unless that's the ghost of Gwen Stacy walking around, I don't think he's sulking about Gwen being dead.

Second of all, I firmly believe that (edit: the scenes below) take place at around the same time:

Emma-Stone-Andrew-Garfield-Filming-Amazing-Spider-Man-2.jpg

_1386254970.jpg

Gwen and Peter are both dressed for Winter. Same hair and same jacket on Peter. If it were to take place at completely different points in time (years/months apart as speculated), I don't think that they would have Andrew looking almost exactly the same (considering that he and Emma go through tons of various outfits and jackets within the movie). I could see where you are coming from with regards to the shirt looking a bit more gray in the cemetery, but I believe that it's just the lighting. Ever taken an art class before? Colors reflect off of objects and clothing. Notice that the snow has a more bluish gray hue to it as well. Also notice that it was a still taken from the trailer, as opposed to a paparazzi or set photograph.

_1386254970.jpg

compare it to this:

9y4a.png

If you look back at the trailer at some points the undershirt isn't even visible in that same scene with Gwen. So there's definitely some inconsistency.

ehsd.png

What I will say though is that it appears that he isn't wearing the backpack at the cemetery, but I believe that he most likely put it down (or took something out of it) when he got there.

I will reiterate that Gwen could still die. There is still a whole funeral scene that we haven't even seen yet and it could be her's. If you wanted to argue that, then I really have nothing to say other than it could potentially be someone else's. With regards to the scenes above, I don't think that they really have anything to do with Gwen's death.

Great rebutal analysis.

The only area that you did not address, which is significant, is how I effectively proved that the Aleskei armored car chase scene and the date scene are from the same day.

The Aleskei scene is, without a doubt, spring/summer, not winter!

You also contradict yourself when you stated:

"Gwen and Peter are both dressed for Winter", while refering to their date picture, but then you say:

"I firmly believe that these scenes take place at around the same time", when refering to the picture of Peter on the top of a building wearing the gray tee-shirt.

If it was winter ("Gwen and Peter are dressed for Winter") then Peter wouldn't be wearing just a tee-shirt on top of that building (if "these scenes take place at around the same time").

Now I will agree that the pic of Peter in the gray shirt at the top of the building isn't necessarily from the same time from the cemetary scene, and that it is possible that the lighting in the cemetary pics cause his white tee-shirt to look gray, but most likely gray is gray (since we have him in a gray shirt in pics) and white is white (since we have him in white shirts in pics).

The truth is that I'm still not 100% convinced that that is snow in the cemetary. If not then the timeline makes much more sense and the cemetary scene could be towards the beginning of the movie, which I feel I've effectively proven is late spring/early summer! But if it is snow, then as I've proven, the scene must be much later in the movie, like 6 or 7 months later. And yes, that doesn't make a lot of sense, so it really all comes down to...

Is that snow or not?!!???

Going forward, let's keep our seasonal questions and debate in this thread, yes?

^We kind of already moved past this in the other thread, so I just responded to your most recent post/ argument over there since it's not here. We might as well just leave everything there. :yay:

Gwen Dies.
That is Peter visiting her grave
It's a part of a montage, the scene has multiple seasons at her grave

That shot was actually supposed to be of Peter visiting Uncle Ben's grave.

That's why he's wearing the exact same outfit, from before
Gwen died

Man...some of y'all arent playing when it comes to your CBMs.

Jeez. All that for a still frame?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"