The Stephen King Thread - Part 2

Red Screen: New Short Story
Posted: September 9, 2021, 20:51:52
King has a new short story out called Red Screen. It’s available in eBook format exclusively from Humble Bundle for one week only starting September 9th.

"RED SCREEN"

In this unsettling short story, a city detective interrogates a deranged plumber who just murdered his wife, only to discover something far more insidious.

"RED SCREEN" is available in eBook format exclusively from Humble Bundle for one week only starting September 9th. Humble Bundle is a digital content retailer that builds charitable donations into each and every sale. Since 2010, The Humble Community has contributed over 199 million dollars to causes across the globe. In this special solo offering, 100 percent of proceeds will go to the ACLU, a charity handpicked by Stephen King.

"RED SCREEN" on Humble Bundle

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2021]

King On His Next Book
Posted: September 18, 2021, 23:21:15
During the Bloody Scotland event King held up a couple of pages from the book his currently working on. He also said it’s a Holly Gibney book taking place in 2021 and that he wanted to use the Corona virus as a major thing in the book.

ce30899a-f93f-446e-90ea-594991.jpg

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2021]

What's everyone's favourite short story collection? I've usually always answered with Just After Sunset, but lately I've really been gravitating to his Nightmares and Dreamscapes and Everything's Eventual collections. There's a certain mundanity to a lot of the horror in those three specific collections that I really respond to. Oddly, while I still love his Night Shift, Skeleton Crew and Bazaar collections, I've found that the generally more outlandish, overtly dark and supernatural tone of those collections don't do as much for me.

Last edited:
Night Shift. Because of "Jerusalem's Lot," "The Last Rung on the Ladder", and especially "The Woman in the Room," still my favorite King story.

Fairy Tales: New Book By King
Posted: January 23, 2022, 09:41:02
Section: Book » Fairy Tales
Today Simon & Schuster listed King’s fall 2022 book. It’s titled Fairy Tales and it will be released om September 6. Here is a description of the book.

74f686e4-02f2-4f04-a07a-a9982a.jpg

Legendary storyteller Stephen King goes deep into the well of his imagination in this spellbinding novel about a seventeen-year-old boy who inherits the keys to a parallel world where good and evil are at war, and the stakes could not be higher—for their world or ours.

Charlie Reade looks like a regular high school kid, great at baseball and football, a decent student. But he carries a heavy load. His mom was killed in a hit-and-run accident when he was ten, and grief drove his dad to drink. Charlie learned how to take care of himself—and his dad. Then, when Charlie is seventeen, he meets Howard Bowditch, a recluse with a big dog in a big house at the top of a big hill. In the backyard is a locked shed from which strange sounds emerge, as if some creature is trying to escape. When Mr. Bowditch dies, he leaves Charlie the house, a massive amount of gold, a cassette tape telling a story that is impossible to believe, and a responsibility far too massive for a boy to shoulder.

Because within the shed is a portal to another world—one whose denizens are in peril and whose monstrous leaders may destroy their own world, and ours. In this parallel universe, where two moons race across the sky, and the grand towers of a sprawling palace pierce the clouds, there are exiled princesses and princes who suffer horrific punishments; there are dungeons; there are games in which men and women must fight each other to the death for the amusement of the “Fair One.” And there is a magic sundial that can turn back time.

A story as old as myth, and as startling and iconic as the rest of King’s work, Fairy Tale is about an ordinary guy forced into the hero’s role by circumstance, and it is both spectacularly suspenseful and satisfying.

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2022]

Looking forward to it. :D

109: A Conversation With Stephen King - Fangoria

King Has Finished The Holly Gibney Novel
Posted: March 2, 2022, 13:01:13
Section: Book » Holly

In his interview with The KingCast. King casually mentioned that he had finished his next novel and that it was called Holly. This is the book about Holly Gibney that he has mentioned in the past. No info on when it might be released but a good guess would be 2023.

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2022]

Gwendy’s Button Box: The Graphic Novel
Posted: March 28, 2022, 10:02:34
Section: General news » Gwendy's Button Box (comic)
In his last newsletter Brian Keene reveals that he is doing a graphic novel adaptation of Gwendy’s Button Box. The thing that makes this one extra interesting is that it will go beyond the novella and explore the other residents of Castle Rock.

Here is what Keene write in his newsletter:

I worked on INVISBLE MONSTERS and PROJECT CASTLE (and a lot of people have figured out what the latter is, and Rich Chizmar confirmed it during a YouTube Livestream, so the heck with it — let’s dispense with the codename. PROJECT CASTLE is actually a graphic novel adaptation of Stephen King and Richard Chizmar’s GWENDY’S BUTTON BOX. However, it goes beyond the novella and explores the other residents and denizens of Castle Rock, and what they were up to during the time period of the novella. So, for example, while Cujo, or Deputy Andy Clutterbuck, or Frank Dodd didn’t appear in the book, they could very well appear in the graphic novel. Basically, I’ve been allowed to run riot all over Castle Rock in the 1970s, and it has been a lot of fun. We’re still a while from publication (I’m on the final draft now) and I’ll stay mum about the artist and the rest of the team (because Rich didn’t speak about any of that on the livestream).

If it seems like I’m taking a long time for a 100+ page graphic novel, that’s because I am. These aren’t my characters, and it’s a setting beloved by millions, and I am taking my time to make sure I deliver something that is respectful, thoughtful and loving of them. And I’m also fact-checking with Bev Vincent and other experts to make sure the stuff I’ve added matches up, continuity-wise. Bottom-line: if you’re hoping for Pennywise fighting Father Callahan in the basement of the Castle Rock VFW, you’re going to be very disappointed. But if you’re wondering what the Castle Rock Strangler was doing the night Gwendy pressed a button and ate a chocolate rabbit, I think you’ll dig it.

I’m currently reading Salem’s Lot, while I take a little break from The Dark Tower series (book 5 is next!)

I’m currently reading Salem’s Lot, while I take a little break from The Dark Tower series (book 5 is next!)
...I've been reading King every October in "chronological" order, these past few years.

The Body 4/5, Apt Pupil 3/5, 'Salem's Lot 5/5, Rage 4/5, The Shining 5/5, The Dead Zone 4/5, Cujo 5/5, The Mist 4/5, Firestarter 2/5, and Carrie 4/5...

I'll get into Thinner, Christine, and Pet Semetary this coming October. Maybe read IT after Halloween, since it might take a month to do so.

'Salam's Lot is my favorite so far. The Shining of course, being my second favorite and really enjoyed The Dead Zone and Cujo. Plus, it made me actually enjoy vampires for once. Only other time recently was Midnight Mass, which of course was paying respects/honor to King's novel.

What's everyone's favourite short story collection? I've usually always answered with Just After Sunset, but lately I've really been gravitating to his Nightmares and Dreamscapes and Everything's Eventual collections. There's a certain mundanity to a lot of the horror in those three specific collections that I really respond to. Oddly, while I still love his Night Shift, Skeleton Crew and Bazaar collections, I've found that the generally more outlandish, overtly dark and supernatural tone of those collections don't do as much for me.

I really liked Hearts in Atlantis. Besides "Low Men in Yellow Coats" being fantastic, "Hearts in Atlantis" might be my favorite non horror story he's written. So much so that I was excited to learn that it was being adapted on film, but there doesn't seem to have been any traction on that.

(To avoid any confusion, the movie "Hearts in Atlantis" is actually based on "Low Men...")

Finn: New Story By King
Posted: April 27, 2022, 15:49:45
Section: General news » Finn
Finn is set in Ireland and tells the story of a young man, unlucky since birth, who gets caught up in a case of mistaken identity. The darkly funny, unsettling tale takes Finn through existential and psychological crises in a world where bullies and madmen upend the lives of the innocent.

“Finn” will be released simultaneously in ebook and audiobook formats exclusive to subscribers of reading subscription service Scribd om May 25. A subscription is $11.99 a month and offers access to ebooks, audiobooks and magazine articles.

8f04f6d6-fe5e-45d4-9182-ac0669.jpg

New Interview With King
Posted: May 27, 2022, 21:22:58
Sections: Film » Mr. Harrigan’s Phone, Book » Rattlesnake
Here is a new interview with King. He talks about a lot of stuff but the highlights are these.

6adc33a7-bb95-42a1-b76a-e7bdcf.jpg

In passing King mentioned that he has written a new novella called Rattlesnake that’s actually a sequel to Cujo.

“I just wrote a long story called Rattlesnakes. And it involves, at one part, twins who are only four years old… falling into a rattlesnake pit. And the snakes get ’em. It’s a terrible scene.”

Unfortunately the interviewers didn’t follow up on this so we don’t really got to know how it’s connected to Cujo.

It also seams that Mr Harrigan’s Phone is done. King mentions that he’ll see it later the same day they did the interview.

He also talks about Fairy Tale and admits that the new Firestarter movie wasn’t all that good.

Signed Limited Fairy Tale Announced
Posted: July 26, 2022, 14:26:46
Section: Book » Fairy Tale
King’s UK publisher just released the news that they will publish a signed edition of Fairy Tale. Here is the info:

e8b862fa-80a0-427a-87be-f186c7.jpg

An exclusive Collector’s signed and slipcased edition of FAIRY TALE is available to pre-order now for £250 only through https://specialeditionbooks.co.uk

Limited to 200 copies, this very special signed edition is a clothbound hardback in a bespoke slipcase, with gold endpapers, head and tail bands and a blue marker ribbon.

Orders are limited to 1 per customer.

NOT available in USA, Canada and certain other territories – see website for full list and further Terms and Conditions.

Pre-order now: Fairy Tale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"