BvS The Super-Batusi Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gianakin_

SW Prequels Defender
Reaction score
Uninspired name, I know, but since we have our very own section, I thought I'd keep the tradition going and create a lounge where we can talk about anything and...
what_the_world_needs_now_is_love_sweet_love_no_not_just_for_some_but_for-1554.gif

Super-Batusi? Isn't that Sunny D with rum and a mint garnish? Or am I thinking of a Tatooine Sunburn?

No, it's actually a ceremonial robe worn at orgies whose only participants are King Goyers, aka King Ghidorahs with Goyer's hands pasted on them.

The queastion is: Does Cage own a Super-Batusi? Or did he have to sell his cuz of his IRS problem? I'm damned sure Charlie Sheen has one.

Now that I think about it, isn't a SUPER-BATUSI a specific kind of wedgie? Or am I thinking of an Orson Scott Card?

Well, the Batusi is whatever SHH needs it to be. Cage is too far gone. He doesn't own a Batusi, like Sheen. He IS a Batusi.

That's zen like in it's grace and simplicity.... AS A SUPER-BATUSI SHOULD BE. (Gong noise)

Good. That's the perfect time to go watch The Wolverine. Ta-ta!

You're thinking of KRAMERTUSI VS. KRAMERTUSI.

Is that a clever euphemism when Batman and Superman engage in sexual intercourse. :o

When are they ever NOT engaging in sexual intercourse?

Now that I think of it more I think I saw some women perform a Super-Batusi in Thailand once. I felt dirty afterwards, and I was just watching!

Actually I have a feeling a SUPER-BATUSI is a sea shanty of some kind.

I just watched the first episode of Batman Beyond again and boy that's a frigging sweet show still. Forgot how good it is.

The pilot kinda glossed over the whole "taking on the mantle" thing, it was way too rushed, but ultiamtely I liked the show and Terry.

I just could never get into the premise of Batman Beyond. I always had issues with the Timm/Diniverse and Beyond just made me go, "I'm out". I won't list all my problems cuz I am guessing other people who didn't like it have similar ones and people who do like Beyond have heard them all before.

So Gianakin.... How was The Wolverine?

Ah, if you had problems with that universe, it's pretty understandable.

As for TW, loved it. Here's my spoilers-blacked-out review:
Ok, so... where to begin... I think I'll just go with the MoS structure.

Direction: Magold is a master at what he does. And that's creating tension and having it followed by relaxed, real character moments. And this movie is full of that, up until the climax. Even though the climax requires OTT action, I'd say he holds hiw own pretty well. But he gets to do quite a few Mangold-isms, which is a good thing, the guy always has been a hell of a director.

Story: Really strong one, I must say. This is a deconstruction, much more than what IM3 claims to be. They share some similarities (2012-13 are the years of fall-rise, it seems), but TW actually bothers to deal with them. And the fact that they set it in Japan, other than paying tribute to the Wolverine comics, drives the point home.

Screenplay: Very very good. Aside from a couple misplaced one-liners, the dialogues work, they develop most of the characters and, even though you might foresee a couple twists coming, it's tight and it serves the narrative. Humor's great, too. Hugh helps in that respect, but the jokes are mostly well-placed, not OTT and actually add to the character development. That was refreshing!

Characters: Well, I felt Shingen was a bit wasted, but that's mainly because of my preconceptions of the actor that was playing him. Yukio was a show-stealer. Viper wasn't as annoying as I thought she would be. She was certainly out of place compared to the rest, though. Mariko was one of the best love interests in a CBM. Yashida was one of the better villains this and every year. I actually liked Harada's purpose and function in the movie. Jean was a welcome addition as [blackout]Logan's guilt incarnate (and nothing more, this isn't Jean's ghost, people) and is basically the driving force of the movie[/blackout]. And Wolverine... well... I don't want to say much, but this WAS Wolverine. Finally. They got him right. The cussing (even if it's light), the ferocity, the demeanor, the attitude, the physicality. I'm glad. GLAD.

Themes: It's a story about generations, about selfishness and selflessness, about ninjas and samurais, about letting go of the past and the pain, about what REALLY makes a person what he/she is. You'll notice some similarities to TDKR and it deals with some of them in a (imo) more satisfying way than that movie. Not all of them hit home, though, hence my not perfect scoring of TW.

Performances: Ah, Hugh, Hugh, Hugh. You ARE the Wolverine, height be damned. This isn't a case of Keaton or RDJ, this is a guy who loves the character and tries to give and give and give in every movie he stars as Logan. He reinvents himself and his performance. Honestly, I didn't find any weak performance in the film, considering what everyone had to do in it. Even Svetlana as Viper was appropriate and was wisely and visibly toned down by Mangold to fit the movie.

Cinematography: Other than the fact that it's digital, it's a beautiful movie. I can't help but imagine how much more beautiful it would've been had it been shot in film. Still, it captures Japan really well.

Music: Show-stealer. Marco's come a long way since his Scream days. Reflective, esoteric, with action cues that belong to an action thriller. This movie has the definitive Wolverine theme for me. And it's not "heroic". It's hopeful, with an underlying sense of tragedy. A very fresh addition to the franchise. One of the best parts of the movie for me.

Action: Look, kids, you can see what's going on in this movie! And the action works, wait for it... because yiou care for the damn characters, too! But seriously, the set pieces are quite good and it was refreshing to see more personal and toned down battles, as opposed to grander and more epic. Those are my favorite kind, anyway, so it's all good. Although, the ninja "fight" was cut down as hell. I'm sure the Extended Edition will do it justice, though. The trailers tease something far bigger than we got.

CGI: Stellar, for the most part. The opening scene is haunting.

Editing: Solid. More than solid. It serves the story and does justice to performances. The movie breathes where it has to and has tension where it needs it. Edited like a thriller rather than a CBM movie.

Overall: I love it. It doesn't have peaks or moments that make you go "HOLY ****, WHAT DID I JUST WITNESS, RAPEMENOWOMG!", but it was balanced, it developed its characters well, it had a believable and sweet romance, it drove most its points home, it was respectful to the characters and the audience, it had its fair share of action. Even the climax wasn't as OTT as I feared, because it was in line with the rest of the movie, thematically and character-wise. Same goes for Viper. I can see Poison Ivy comparisons, but only conceptually. Otherwise, not even damn close. I, uh... this is a special movie to me now.
As for the mid credit scene? It was like loving chocolate, and getting a cake you thought only has chocolate icing, only to discover it's full of chocolate! It's cemented X-DoFP as my most anticipated movie next year AND it made me care because of the entire character arc for Logan in TW. Where this movie leaves him... he's ready to be what X-DoFP needs him to be. And it was very nice to hear his TW theme play over that scene, where he gets to [blackout]interact with X and Magneto[/blackout]. It was beautiful and helps connect the movies. Beautiful.

A SOLID 8/10 (will watch a 2nd time just to let this all sink more in me)

X2
TW
XFC
X1
X3
XMOW

Ah, if you had problems with that universe, it's pretty understandable.

As for TW, loved it. Here's my spoilers-blacked-out review:
Ok, so... where to begin... I think I'll just go with the MoS structure.

Direction: Magold is a master at what he does. And that's creating tension and having it followed by relaxed, real character moments. And this movie is full of that, up until the climax. Even though the climax requires OTT action, I'd say he holds hiw own pretty well. But he gets to do quite a few Mangold-isms, which is a good thing, the guy always has been a hell of a director.

Story: Really strong one, I must say. This is a deconstruction, much more than what IM3 claims to be. They share some similarities (2012-13 are the years of fall-rise, it seems), but TW actually bothers to deal with them. And the fact that they set it in Japan, other than paying tribute to the Wolverine comics, drives the point home.

Screenplay: Very very good. Aside from a couple misplaced one-liners, the dialogues work, they develop most of the characters and, even though you might foresee a couple twists coming, it's tight and it serves the narrative. Humor's great, too. Hugh helps in that respect, but the jokes are mostly well-placed, not OTT and actually add to the character development. That was refreshing!

Characters: Well, I felt Shingen was a bit wasted, but that's mainly because of my preconceptions of the actor that was playing him. Yukio was a show-stealer. Viper wasn't as annoying as I thought she would be. She was certainly out of place compared to the rest, though. Mariko was one of the best love interests in a CBM. Yashida was one of the better villains this and every year. I actually liked Harada's purpose and function in the movie. Jean was a welcome addition as [blackout]Logan's guilt incarnate (and nothing more, this isn't Jean's ghost, people) and is basically the driving force of the movie[/blackout]. And Wolverine... well... I don't want to say much, but this WAS Wolverine. Finally. They got him right. The cussing (even if it's light), the ferocity, the demeanor, the attitude, the physicality. I'm glad. GLAD.

Themes: It's a story about generations, about selfishness and selflessness, about ninjas and samurais, about letting go of the past and the pain, about what REALLY makes a person what he/she is. You'll notice some similarities to TDKR and it deals with some of them in a (imo) more satisfying way than that movie. Not all of them hit home, though, hence my not perfect scoring of TW.

Performances: Ah, Hugh, Hugh, Hugh. You ARE the Wolverine, height be damned. This isn't a case of Keaton or RDJ, this is a guy who loves the character and tries to give and give and give in every movie he stars as Logan. He reinvents himself and his performance. Honestly, I didn't find any weak performance in the film, considering what everyone had to do in it. Even Svetlana as Viper was appropriate and was wisely and visibly toned down by Mangold to fit the movie.

Cinematography: Other than the fact that it's digital, it's a beautiful movie. I can't help but imagine how much more beautiful it would've been had it been shot in film. Still, it captures Japan really well.

Music: Show-stealer. Marco's come a long way since his Scream days. Reflective, esoteric, with action cues that belong to an action thriller. This movie has the definitive Wolverine theme for me. And it's not "heroic". It's hopeful, with an underlying sense of tragedy. A very fresh addition to the franchise. One of the best parts of the movie for me.

Action: Look, kids, you can see what's going on in this movie! And the action works, wait for it... because yiou care for the damn characters, too! But seriously, the set pieces are quite good and it was refreshing to see more personal and toned down battles, as opposed to grander and more epic. Those are my favorite kind, anyway, so it's all good. Although, the ninja "fight" was cut down as hell. I'm sure the Extended Edition will do it justice, though. The trailers tease something far bigger than we got.

CGI: Stellar, for the most part. The opening scene is haunting.

Editing: Solid. More than solid. It serves the story and does justice to performances. The movie breathes where it has to and has tension where it needs it. Edited like a thriller rather than a CBM movie.

Overall: I love it. It doesn't have peaks or moments that make you go "HOLY ****, WHAT DID I JUST WITNESS, RAPEMENOWOMG!", but it was balanced, it developed its characters well, it had a believable and sweet romance, it drove most its points home, it was respectful to the characters and the audience, it had its fair share of action. Even the climax wasn't as OTT as I feared, because it was in line with the rest of the movie, thematically and character-wise. Same goes for Viper. I can see Poison Ivy comparisons, but only conceptually. Otherwise, not even damn close. I, uh... this is a special movie to me now.
As for the mid credit scene? It was like loving chocolate, and getting a cake you thought only has chocolate icing, only to discover it's full of chocolate! It's cemented X-DoFP as my most anticipated movie next year AND it made me care because of the entire character arc for Logan in TW. Where this movie leaves him... he's ready to be what X-DoFP needs him to be. And it was very nice to hear his TW theme play over that scene, where he gets to [blackout]interact with X and Magneto[/blackout]. It was beautiful and helps connect the movies. Beautiful.

A SOLID 8/10 (will watch a 2nd time just to let this all sink more in me)

X2
TW
XFC
X1
X3
XMOW

I like that Yukio is a strong character. When I was an active comic reader I always wanted to see more of her in the books. I like Deathstrike in general, but if they wanted to use a female Japanese character other than Mariko back then, they should have used Yukio.

Quick story about Hugh. I work as a concierge in SOHO, NYC. Overnite (it's why I am up now, natch) shift in a nice building. 30 units in total, but each one is big for a NYC apartment. Anyways, when Hugh was filming that sex thriller with Macgregor in NYC he and his wife and kids lived in the building. I can tell you now that the impression he gives as a nice down to earth guy is not an act. Dude is the real deal. He's genuine and a devoted father and husband.

My mother always told me to not bother celebs when you see them in NYC, because it's unbecoming of a true New Yorker to be so star struck and it's rude to intrude on someone else's privacy. So I didn't try to force conversation with him even though I saw him everyday. He woke up between 4:30 and 5:30am each day to get some gym time in. When we finally did get to talk about him being Logan he really came across as caring about the character and the fans. The day before he moved out I went to Forbidden Planet comics near Union Square and picked up a collection by Wizard magazine that was like the Greatest Wolverine stories ever told. I went through it and put post it notes on the moments and stories that should influence a solo Wolvie movie and then gave it to Hugh. This was right before he was leaving to start filming XO:W. Needless to say I suspect he never read my notations. :woot:

He probably did, it was just to late to change anything for XMOW.

But yeah, there's no way he doesn't care about the character. It shows in every movie, even the bad ones.

Oh I am sure that's true. He seemed very interested in how he came across as the character to a genre fan like myself. His whole family was nice. When he left he gave the staff signed posters for The Prestige. He signed them along with Bale and Caine. I don't know if he just had a bunch of them hanging around or what but it was a nice little parting gift. I was the only one on staff to appreciate it though. I was the only one that has even seen (and really loved) The Prestige.

If you're in any way responsible about even a tiny smithereen of The Wolverine I will worship you forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"