The Taliban

Thundercrack85

Avenger
Reaction score
Seriously, I just saw a documentary on them, so it may have... enraged me, but do people actually realize how terrible these people are?

Usually when you compare a group to the Nazis, it's hyperbole. But these bastards really give them a run for their money.

I've been hearing stories that we are actually negotiating with these people. This is the group that targeted a teenage girl for assassination - and after shooting her, sent her a letter explaining why (she insulted their movement).

So, Taliban, most vile group of villains ever? Runner up?

No one seems to care anymore.

They also cut the ears and noses off men who--gasp, shock--dared to "offend" them by shaving their beards.

They're not the worst villains ever. They'll be the worst villains ever when their death toll rivals the Nazis. But yes, they are complete scum.

They need to be obliterated from this planet. The Taliban are the definition of the dangerous pitfalls of extremism.

Seriously, I just saw a documentary on them, so it may have... enraged me, but do people actually realize how terrible these people are?

Usually when you compare a group to the Nazis, it's hyperbole. But these bastards really give them a run for their money.

I've been hearing stories that we are actually negotiating with these people. This is the group that targeted a teenage girl for assassination - and after shooting her, sent her a letter explaining why (she insulted their movement).

So, Taliban, most vile group of villains ever? Runner up?

No one seems to care anymore.

There are worst groups in Africa..... Our goal should be to end the conflict and prevent terrorist attacks from originating from that part of the world. If we negotiate, then so be it. If the Afghans don't want to be ruled by the Taliban they they should take up arms and fight them them selves.

It's really all relative. There's no absolute evil, just different expressions of evil. The African warlords who forcibly recruit child soldiers are evil, as are the Taliban who execute "infidels" in soccer stadiums. Trying to judge which is more evil is kinda silly and futile.

The Nazis are only the "go-to" evil group because they have all the hallmarks of what we've come to expect out of villainy, not because they were the most evil. Not saying that they weren't evil or not high on the list, but image goes a long way.

feel like I'm going to get on some kind of gov watch list just for looking at this thread

Which documentary did you see, Thunder?

I think this is the problem with any religious extremism. Seems like some in the Muslim faith are still in their Crusade, Inquisition and Witch Hunting phase. Sort of sad the Middle East for a period of time was a world leader like a 1000 years ago(much like the fall of the Roman Empire, I blame Religious extremism for it's downfall)

At least to me,the Taliban and Al Qaeda are pretty much the same thing.

Well, that's the typical ignorance America is known for talking there. :awesome:

Also, there were a ton of factors in Rome's fall.

Well, that's the typical ignorance America is known for talking there. :awesome:

I knew that was coming. :whatever: I know they're not exactly the same,but I didn't feel like giving a long explanation. Both commit murder and the Taliban does,and has supported Bin laden and his gang. So,I view them both in the same categoy,as enemies of the free world.

I think this is the problem with any religious extremism. Seems like some in the Muslim faith are still in their Crusade, Inquisition and Witch Hunting phase. Sort of sad the Middle East for a period of time was a world leader like a 1000 years ago(much like the fall of the Roman Empire, I blame Religious extremism for it's downfall)

Actually, much as I am one to give religion its fair share of the blame in societal problems, I don't think that's the case. Rome's downfall was mostly the result of insane / inept leadership, corruption, marauding bands of Germans, the Romans conquering more lands than they could rule, and... marauding bands of Germans.

Religious extremism really wasn't a major factor.

Actually, much as I am one to give religion its fair share of the blame in societal problems, I don't think that's the case. Rome's downfall was mostly the result of insane / inept leadership, corruption, marauding bands of Germans, the Romans conquering more lands than they could rule, and... marauding bands of Germans.

Religious extremism really wasn't a major factor.

The Roman Empire was doing fair enough up until the time the Roman Catholic Church took over. While one could argue they were on the decline for about 100-200 years before the Church took over, the fall from grace started soon after the RC Church took over(see the Dark Ages and 1000 years of Europe doing nothing of importance after the fact and mostly known for acts of religious ignorance)

In terms of Religious fanaticism I would say 1000-1500 much worse then 325-999, with it still tricking to as late as 1750ish(ie witch hunts). It basically took a guy top come out and say the world is round and get persecuted for it to change the system back then

My basic point though is the stupidity of the acts that the Taliban do are no difference then many of the stupid acts done in the name of Christianity over the past 1500+ years

I knew that was coming. :whatever: I know they're not exactly the same,but I didn't feel like giving a long explanation. Both commit murder and the Taliban does,and has supported Bin laden and his gang. So,I view them both in the same categoy,as enemies of the free world.

I believe his knock was against me ;)

Last edited:

:awesome:

I believe his knock was against me ;)

Nope.

:awesome:

I wish the Taliban would execute that obnoxious smiley face. :o

Here is a BBC Three documentary from earlier this year on what its like for young girls growing up under the threat of the Pakistan Taliban in the swat valley.

Shot for going to school

[YT]MPPuhqIRWuI[/YT]

It does raise the question, psychologically, what the hell is wrong with these people?

The Taliban are a mix of Fundamentalist fervor from India (Deobandi) and Saudi Arabia (Wahabbi), lack of education, hardened Soviet War veterans, and Afghan Tribalism all roled up into a nice concoction of militant mayhem.

While they were in power from 1994, they were able to depose and elminate warlordism, government corruption, pedophilia, animal abuse in the form of dog fighting and cock fighting, and bring relative safety and peace to most of the countryside. After initially supporting the growth of poppy, they eventually eliminated the entire production of poppy in one year to get agricultural aid from the US in the amount of 40+ Million dollars. They also were going to secure the transnational oil pipeline for UNOCOL. That's why they visited the USA. They were also anti Iran and Russia, and would be more than willing to support the USA if they ended their sanctions.

On the flip side they also restricted (but not banned) women's education, banned kite flying (because people were gambling during kite flying), alcohol, television, music (although they tolerated religious music), and blew up the ancient archaeological relics like the Bamian Buddhas because foreign aid groups were more interested in the preservation of these relics than feeding and giving aid to the people.

The US did not want to make an enemy of the Taliban initially, and were willing to work with them until 9/11. It seems now the US and Kabul are in negotiations with them, and the Taliban are still recognized by a few Arab states, ie. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

The Roman Empire was doing fair enough up until the time the Roman Catholic Church took over. While one could argue they were on the decline for about 100-200 years before the Church took over, the fall from grace started soon after the RC Church took over(see the Dark Ages and 1000 years of Europe doing nothing of importance after the fact and mostly known for acts of religious ignorance)

This. This is bad history. Never walk into a academic class on Roman History. The professors will crucify you. Modern institutions for animal rights emerged strongest in Germany in the 30's, but it did cause the Holocaust.

Rome's decadence, corruption, internal issues, and overextension helped bring it down. The emergency of Christianity did not. In fact, it is arguable a more monotheistic religion helped tie together the fragments of it to the split off Byzantine Empire that resulted, and gave it a holy mission of reclaiming its glory that helped it and western society forge a common destiny.

You do realize that the US has funded, armed, and helped to create them right? So is the US evil? We are evil from the perspective. If the US or other countries that are "good" why don't they do something to stop the "evil"?

I don't like using terms such as "good" and "evil" because of their subjectivity and are generally meaningless. The concepts behind the two are based on religious teachings which once again limits the scope of the labels.

To call the Taliban, US, Nazis "evil" is pointless. It is better served to judge any person, country, or group's actions by what we as a human society find acceptable. The world fought Nazis Germany because their actions were deemed to not be beneficial to the stability of the human society as a whole. (Yes, I am aware that there were a lot of other political interests involved in the background)

As others have said, the Taliban is just one example in a long line of religious extremism. We have groups in the US that disgracefully protest at funerals of fallen soldiers. We have groups that bomb abortion clinics. The warlords in Africa are committing atrocities beyond the understanding of most people. Israel is slowly choking the Palestinian people.

But the "good" world does nothing about it. The "good" world only gets involved to serve its interest. There is no "good" or "evil" until actions are labeled as such in an arbitrary manner.

The world must come together and say enough is enough and act to put heinous actions down as it did in WWI/II, as we came together to eradicate a global disease (small pox). We should do the same by coming together to stamp out the Taliban and similar forms of religious extremism.

That is why I am such a proponent of education. I really believe that education creates stability in society and advances the sociological mindset from terms such as "good" and "evil".

This. This is bad history. Never walk into a academic class on Roman History. The professors will crucify you. Modern institutions for animal rights emerged strongest in Germany in the 30's, but it did cause the Holocaust.

Rome's decadence, corruption, internal issues, and overextension helped bring it down. The emergency of Christianity did not. In fact, it is arguable a more monotheistic religion helped tie together the fragments of it to the split off Byzantine Empire that resulted, and gave it a holy mission of reclaiming its glory that helped it and western society forge a common destiny.

Can you tell me what good the Roman Catholic Church did for Rome? Basically for 1000 years after they took over they did everything in their power to try stop forward progress and adopted many questionable strategies to make sure their religion was the one and only religion in the places they controlled.

Now one can easily argue that the Roman Empire had many questionable practices before the RC Church ever took over but their wasn't the level of religious fervor before the RC took over and the Roman Empire was a much more tolerant place to live when it come to person beliefs. As for the Byzantine Empire, I specifically was talking about the RC Church so I don't see how that applies(since the Byzantine empire sort of adopted it's own religious beliefs based on christianity)

Last edited:
You do realize that the US has funded, armed, and helped to create them right? So is the US evil? We are evil from the perspective. If the US or other countries that are "good" why don't they do something to stop the "evil"?

I don't like using terms such as "good" and "evil" because of their subjectivity and are generally meaningless. The concepts behind the two are based on religious teachings which once again limits the scope of the labels.

To call the Taliban, US, Nazis "evil" is pointless. It is better served to judge any person, country, or group's actions by what we as a human society find acceptable. The world fought Nazis Germany because their actions were deemed to not be beneficial to the stability of the human society as a whole. (Yes, I am aware that there were a lot of other political interests involved in the background)

As others have said, the Taliban is just one example in a long line of religious extremism. We have groups in the US that disgracefully protest at funerals of fallen soldiers. We have groups that bomb abortion clinics. The warlords in Africa are committing atrocities beyond the understanding of most people. Israel is slowly choking the Palestinian people.

But the "good" world does nothing about it. The "good" world only gets involved to serve its interest. There is no "good" or "evil" until actions are labeled as such in an arbitrary manner.

The world must come together and say enough is enough and act to put heinous actions down as it did in WWI/II, as we came together to eradicate a global disease (small pox). We should do the same by coming together to stamp out the Taliban and similar forms of religious extremism.

That is why I am such a proponent of education. I really believe that education creates stability in society and advances the sociological mindset from terms such as "good" and "evil".

Sorry, not getting into this topic *AT ALL*, but can you just quickly say for the record that serial killers aren't necessarily evil and it's all just arbitrary and subjective, just so I can put you on perma-ignore?
Cause I'm not interested one ****ing bit in anything a person like this has to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"