Arrow The Vertigo Thread!

For me dour and humorless, really don't equal fun.

I'd say the show is very humorous in a good way

I just don't get what they have against calling him Arrow.I mean even in the Hulk's 70's show (which pretty much discarded any and all comic book references) they had sense enough to have Mcgee actually call him "The Hulk".

I don't think Ollie gives a **** what people call him, so unless he starts telling people to call him that there's no reason for them to know it.

I just don't get what they have against calling him Arrow.I mean even in the Hulk's 70's show (which pretty much discarded any and all comic book references) they had sense enough to have Mcgee actually call him "The Hulk".

Honestly, seeing as they want to drag out the origin for five years, it'll probably either happen in the season finale or some time in season two.

I'm guessing they'll actually call him "Green Arrow" at the end of the series,but I expected them to just call him "Arrow" by now.

No, he'll never be called Green Arrow, it's too comic book-ish according to the showrunners. I know, who'd have thought something based on a comic book would be comic book-ish.

You're probably right.I was just taking "smallville-ization" into account.I figured maybe the last shot having a newspaper headline saying "Green Arrow sightings continue" just so they can say,"see,he had to become green arrow during the series" or some such nonsense.:oldrazz:

so is anybody going to even acknowledge the pics that were posted? you know, the pics of the character for whom this thread was created...
anyway, I like the direction they went, I wonder if they'll give him an eastern european accent, to honor the count aspect of his character.

^I would be good if they avoided the accent unless the actor can do it convincingly. The actors trying to act italian in the last episode was tough enough to watch, lol.

Vertigo's never had a great costume so whatever they do is fine with me. Although I do remember the batman cartoon wasn't bad.

The guy looks fine. He can do a sort of eastern european accent if he wants, but doesn't have to. They can just explain it by saying he was schooled in the states and part of the U.K. which explains him not having a thick accent or something. I think he will be fine.

They're not going to do that, because he's not Vertigo.

His name's The Count.

You're unlikely to find two characters as diametrically opposed as Seth Gabel's new villain (dubbed "The Count") on "Arrow" and his understated performance in new film "Allegiance" (released Dec. 28 in New York and Los Angeles, available on VOD now) -- but that's probably the point.

The 31-year-old actor may be best known for playing Lincoln Lee on Fox's "Fringe" and the dysfunctional Jeremy Darling in ABC's gone-but-not-forgotten "Dirty Sexy Money," but his latest performances seem poised make you view the star in a whole new light.

The Huffington Post caught up with Gabel earlier this week to discuss his villainous "Arrow" role. Light spoilers ahead.

Let's talk a little bit about your role on "Arrow," since it sounds like your character is pivotal to the story.
Yeah, that was so much fun to do, and so much fun to be a part of. I love how much people are interested in it because it seems like a smaller show, but they are doing really great work over there, and a lot of people are paying attention. So I’m honored to have been a part of it, and I hope I get to continue to do so. The character is the most fun I’ve ever had playing a part.

What can you reveal about your first episode, Episode 12 [titled "Vertigo"]?
I play a character called The Count, who is based on Count Vertigo of the comic book series. And the super powers that the comic book character had are manifested in a drug called Vertigo that I sell on the street. So my character is a street drug kingpin that basically rules the streets of Starling City, and he’s quickly rising to a higher station and [forming] a evil empire and The Arrow needs to stop him. And I, interestingly, welcome the challenge because I love having a force for me to fight against, and the opportunity to really prove my power over Starling City.

The show has been subtly teasing Thea's [Willa Holland] experimentation with drugs since the pilot. Do you have any direct scenes with Willa or are they mostly with Stephen Amell?
It’s mostly with Stephen, but I like to feel like I have ... I’m kind of involved in what Thea is going through.

How did the producers describe the role to you, and how did you become involved with the show?
[Executive producer] Greg Berlanti called, who I worked with on "Dirty Sexy Money." And he said that there was a Joker-type character coming up on "Arrow," which was intriguing and something I thought maybe I wanted to avoid, because you hear "The Joker" and you think of Heath Ledger. There’s just no way to come anywhere near that. So when I saw the character I was really interested to see if I could create something that had a similar energy but definitely distinct from what Heath had done, and make sure that I can do something that was my own version of that thing, and I felt like I did. I worked really hard on it, and it’s definitely the most risk that I’ve ever taken playing a part.

And you've only shot one episode so far, correct?
I’ve only shot one, and it’s up in the air whether or not there’s going to be more. We’re kind of talking about it now.

I believe [executive producer] Andrew Kreisberg described your character as the first time that Oliver has actually created a supervillain through his own actions. Is there anything you can tease about that aspect of the character without spoiling anything?
I can say that our showdown leads to potentially more future showdowns in which I become more powerful.

Did you go back and read up on the comics out of curiosity, since the role is obviously less fantastical than the original version?
Yeah I kind of looked online. Wikipedia is definitely very helpful. But mostly it was just, in the amount of time that I had to prepare, I wanted to watch as much of the show as I could and really make sure that I understood the world of the show because when you hear “comic book” you might make impressions that it’s one thing. But I think what’s so great about “Arrow” is that they really ground everything in reality. And so in playing this character that, on the page, could be very over the top, I wanted to make sure that he still fit in the world that they were creating. And so I spent a lot of time trying to find that balance ... He’s flamboyant, theatrical, grounded, and very street. I really wanted to make sure that I was in my body, and that I was physically intimidating while at the same time not being afraid to be over the top.

"Arrow" returns Wed., Jan. 16 at 8 p.m. EST on The CW.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/13/seth-gabel-arrow-vertigo_n_2289669.html

Starling City's reckoning is brought to you by the letter V.

in all seriousness though, can't wait for this episode, it sounds really cool.

All the eps have been good though. Each time I get excited about an episode the next ep makes me even more excited lol.

Nevermind, I saw the pics of how they're doing his character. I still think it'd be cool if he shows up in later episodes in a green, and black suit to match his comics counterpart better.

Last edited:
Nevermind, I saw the pics of how they're doing his character. I still think it'd be cool if he shows up in later episodes in a green, and black suit to match his comics counterpart better.

I agree with this. Or his father comes and is the REAL Count Vertigo. Either way I think his character is fine.

There are set pics of Arrow's version of Vertigo ?!?!?!

I'm excited to see how they re-interpret the character. I originally thought that Vertigo was involved in the upper-class conspiracy/list that papa Queen was also part of.

Instead, it's Merlyn who's heavily involved with the List.

Now that another character has fit the niche of upper-class aristocratic villain, I guess they chose to re-interpret Vertigo as a Joker-type villain.

I think its funny that Seth Gabel also admitted to using Wikipedia as a reference, lol.

Last edited:
There are set pics of Arrow's version of Vertigo ?!?!?!

Where?!?!?! :) lol.....keep picturing Seth in a dark coat with fingerless gloves lol. Not sure if he'll have a black coat, but I think he sports fingerless gloves.

Where?!?!?! :) lol.....keep picturing Seth in a dark coat with fingerless gloves lol. Not sure if he'll have a black coat, but I think he sports fingerless gloves.

There are some on the last page of this thread.

Seth Gabel arrives as "the Count" in Episode 12, and he will almost certainly be back. Count Vertigo, a character from the comics, is the loose basis for this villain, but it sounds as though the writers have some tricks up their sleeves when it comes to the Count, whom Gabel discussed in this recent interview. "We love Seth and his interpretation of the character and the Count was always introduced with the plan to make him a recurring villain. In fact, Episode 12 ends with a set-up for his next appearance," Guggenheim said. "Seth plays the character with a lot of flair and it's a new color for the show. Those people who think the Arrow is all about business suited one-percenters will really want to check out this episode."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/15/arrow-cw-new-villians_n_2474482.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"