The Worst Sequel Concepts of All Time

That-Guy

Avenger
Reaction score
Well, the Boondock Saints 2 trailer is finally out, and as much as I love the first movie, I'm still not sure that it's the type of film that can have a sequel. I'll reserve my judgment until I see it, but it got me thinking... what are some of the worst sequel concepts you've seen in movies?

I know that films like Batman & Robin are considered to be awful sequels, but conceptually, it's a pretty straightforward idea: Batman and Robin taking on two supervillains (or three if you count Bane). It's just the execution that is terrible (bad writing, directing, acting).

What I'm talking about are sequels that, conceptually, were so far-removed from the previous film that it just left you scratching your head. Films that had virtually nothing in common with their predecessors, as if they could have been part of a diffent series altogether.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

Blair Witch 2: Apparently since a lot of people went to see the original and thought it was real footage (only to be disappointed and learn that it was all staged), the filmmakers of the sequel thought it would be a BRILLIANT idea to have the sequel based around the premise that the first movie was all BS. The result was a bunch of idiots having an orgy and later finding out that evil spirits can apparently edit video equipment.

American Psycho 2: Oh, where can I begin on this one? I know it was one of those lame, DTV sequels with none of the original actors and those are never good... but I swear, they were TRYING to make a sucky movie here. First, you replace Patrick Bateman as your main character with... um... Jackie from that 70's show. And don't be fooled here... Mila Kunis plays Jackie in this movie, despite the fact that she's killing people. Her narration makes this painfully obvious. And then, as if to rub in how bad the movie is, William Shatner shows up. I didn't even make it through half of this film.

Halloween 3.

I agree with Blair Witch 2. So many people I know wanted to catch that in the theatres and I still to this day cannot figure out why. It was a unnecessary sequel and didn't have any of the good things the first one had going for it.

Halloween 3.

I agree with Blair Witch 2. So many people I know wanted to catch that in the theatres and I still to this day cannot figure out why. It was a unnecessary sequel and didn't have any of the good things the first one had going for it.

I remember them saying that, starting with Halloween 3, the Halloween franchise was supposed to be an anthology of different stories. But when they went back to Michael Meyers in 4, it killed that idea. So that's why 3 was such a different movie. Still, the movie had a very very weird concept.

I'll say pretty much all of these movies that are sequels in name only. They have none of the original actors (maybe one in a cameo so they can claim it's a sequel), and they're just excuses for the studio to cash in on the exact same story over and over.

Halloween 3.

Yeah, exactly. I'm just glad it didn't totally derail the career of Jeffrey Donovan, like it apparently did the other actors in the film.

Highlander II....Whoever greenlit that script needs shooting.

Highlander II....Whoever greenlit that script needs shooting.

I still need to see this movie, simply because I've heard it's flat-out one of the worst movies ever made.

They Call Me Mr. Tibbs
-way to turn a great American film into a blaxpoitation cop franchise

Cruel Intentions 2
Exorcist 2: The Heretic
-WTF?

Spot on with all the rest previously mentioned

Big Mamma's house 2 and 3.

The first one was mildly entertaining but the second was simply not needed.
Now the third is in development. :dry:

i'm gonna go with EVERY SINGLE SEQUEL TO THE AMITYVILLE HORROR.

I agree on Blair Witch 2.

Wasn't the point of the first film that it was a scary faux documentary? Then they go meta on us, and actually make a film narrative with Blair Witch 2? Not only that, it was POORLY MADE. IT was so bad.

It was never made (and hopefully never will be made), but the planned sequel for ET sounds absolutely horrible.

resident evil 3.... like really? a desert wasteland?

Crank: High Voltage

The concept was wacky enough, but I didn't like the execution...
Still, I wouldn't mind a third one.

The CROW/HIGHLANDER SEQUELS:

Nont only are they disrespectful to the originals, both franchises didn't know where to take the sequels. They were both mishandled and mismanaged. And worst of all, they all sucked.

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey - Though it has a lot of funny moments, this movie on the whole was one of those WTF? sequels that, at least to me, never captured the essence of the original. As goofy and ridiculous as the first movie was, it was a pretty straightforward film about time travel, whereas its sequel ditches most of the time travel stuff in favor of sending our moronic heroes to the afterlife. Once there, they encounter the Grim Reaper and a bunch of other characters that don't have the charm of the Napoleon, Joan of Arc and all of the supporting cast of the previous film. When "Station" shows up, you know the filmmakers clearly ran out of ideas. Also, this sequel suffers from one of those annoying trends in which it is inconsistant with the previous film. The future looks drastically different than it did in the last film (and it's not a change for the better). I wish directors would realize that just because the sequel is a new movie, that doesn't mean you have to change all of the set designs. Tim Burton did this in Batman Returns and it annoyed me (though it wasn't as drastic of a change as in the Bill & Ted sequel).

The Neverending Story 2 - Having never read the book, I can't say for sure how far out of step this movie was with its predecessor... but from a film standpoint, this movie ditched everything that made the first movie so endearing. Bastian is an annoying and cowardly prick, while Atreyu and Falkor are reduced to background characters in favor of some *****e that looks like Howard the Duck. And then you have your typical "evil sorceress" villain who wants to take over Fantasia by manipulating Bastard... er... Bastian to forget who he is or something. I really don't remember all that much more about this film other than, when I saw it (at age 12) I thought it sucked. And bear in mind, at this age I like pretty much anything.

How about all of these straight to dvd sequels that you don't even know exist until you look up the original movie on Wikipedia and see that it had multiple sequels. Ain't that right, American Pie? How 'bout you, Bring It On?

How about all of these straight to dvd sequels that you don't even know exist until you look up the original movie on Wikipedia and see that it had multiple sequels. Ain't that right, American Pie? How 'bout you, Bring It On?

Well, that's Universal for you; they've always been masters at beating a dead horse mercilessly into the ground - from the monster movies of the '30s to Airport to Jaws to The Land Before Time To Beethoven.

Jurassic Park 4 with guns on dinosaurs made me lol pretty hard.

Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiin.

Kevin Smith explained it perfectly. "Didn't we pretty much said all we needed to say with the first Beetljuice? Muct we got tropical?

Did the The Hustler need the Color of Money:huh:

The CROW/HIGHLANDER SEQUELS:

Nont only are they disrespectful to the originals, both franchises didn't know where to take the sequels. They were both mishandled and mismanaged. And worst of all, they all sucked.

Blame the Mouse and Eisner.

Yeah, if Eisner was still at Disney, I'd be seriously afraid for Marvel. Fortunately, Iger doesn't seem like as much of a colossal dick-head, though he was Eisner's right-hand man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"