• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

THOR (July 16, 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superman-Prime

Sidekick
Reaction score
Sweet.

IESB did a script review on Mark Protosevich's draft awhile back in August 2007. Of course there have been I am sure several re-writes since that time, as scripts do, but the script dealt only with Thor in his native land of Asgard, his father issues with Odin and his battle with his brother turned evil-doer Loki with hopes of Asgard domination with no mention of the modern world.

We are now getting word that there has been an addition to the end of the Asgard driven Thor story that very much gives credence to further Thor stories and how Marvel plans to bring everything together for the Avengers film due out in 2011 a question even Tony Stark himself pondered, Downey Jr. said to MTV, "The danger you run with colliding all these worlds is [director] Jon [Favreau] was very certain that 'Iron Man' should be set in a very realistic world. Nothing that happened in 'Iron Man' is really outside the realm of possibility. Once you start talking about Valhalla and supersized super soldiers and jolly green giants it warrants much further discussion."

A reliable source tells the IESB that the character of Donald Blake has been added to the end of the script. Let me reiterate that he wasn't there before, the script was set entirely in the land of the Norse Gods.

The introduction of the character is essential to how Marvel will tie Thor into the Avengers that is set in contemporary Tony Stark/Hulk timeframe. It explains how the actual Thor film will be set in the ancient time of the Norse Gods and how they will subsequently bring the character into a modern time with Donald Blake discovering the magical Norse hammer Mjolnir and turning into Thor.

Now is Thor sent to live amongst the humans with no memory of his life as Thor until he finds the hammer as in the comic book? I would have to assume so but this will all happen after we see Thor in his native land battling other Norse Gods in Asgard in order for the audience to learn his backstory.

Now can they explain all this using an epilogue approach a la Samuel L. Jackson in Iron Man with the main story still focusing on the Thor character in Asgard or does the Blake character and his storyline have a bigger role?

Don't know for sure, but he's been added says our source. Take it as a rumor if you need to but it makes complete sense.

We've also been told that director Kenneth Branagh will have an acting part in the film as well - a throw back to Jon Favreau's role in Iron Man. Guess Louis Leterrier missed that boat as he didn't appear in The Incredible Hulk.

One more thing, no J. Michael Straczynski is not doing the current re-write of the script, he has confirmed this repeatedly.

Stay tuned for more THOR news from the IESB!

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6023&Itemid=99

We've also been told that director Kenneth Branagh will have an acting part in the film as well - a throw back to Jon Favreau's role in Iron Man. Guess Louis Leterrier missed that boat as he didn't appear in The Incredible Hulk.
Well, Jon Favreau and Kenneth Branagh are both actors originally.

Branagh would be a good fit for a supporting part in Asgard.

Just keep him for Donald Blake who is now apparently at the end of the script.

I'm ready for magical beings from other dimensions if Marvel Studios is up to the challenge. :up:

I'm very glad that the film will take almost entirely in Asgard with mythical monsters galore. I'm not too keen on the whole "Donald Blake" character, I would have preferred The Ultimates storyline for Thor on Earth, but this will work. I'm very excited for this film!

Interesting, I figured Blake was going to be added.

Blake is our bridge to the Avengers. And screw the Ultimates. Stan used Blake and that's good enough for me.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

HOORAY!!!
Hurry up DC!

Green Lantern Vs. Thor (July 2010)
Lets hope for the best!

Maybe at the start of the film Blake will find Mjolnir, touch it, and then all of the memories of Thor will rush into him. So basically the whole film will be a kind of flashback sorta thing.

And thus the lord Thor grabbed his hammer and exclaimed, "Verily!"

Please keep Branagh to a supporting role... seriously... the guy needs to get over himself. What we need is some casting already... HAVE to hear something by March... I mean we are getting quite close.

*subscribes* isn't it about time we get some casting news..?

Blake is our bridge to the Avengers. And screw the Ultimates. Stan used Blake and that's good enough for me.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

^^A sig-worthy statement.

And definately a mantra that I wish a few more people would take onboard at times. To read some posts, you'd think that the Marvel Universe started with the creation of the Ulimate line.

I hate all the Ultimate stuff. Just could never get into it.

I actually like the Ultimates (vols 1 and 2 only though);

The problem for me is when people see that approach as the only way to go cinematically - ignoring all the years of 616 canon.

Maybe at the start of the film Blake will find Mjolnir, touch it, and then all of the memories of Thor will rush into him. So basically the whole film will be a kind of flashback sorta thing.

that's sort of what I was thinking might happen

No.

Well, i think Branagh can play Loki.
I don't recall ONE interview with JMS that says he WASN'T rewritting some of the script. Tho I think he would be a part of the creative crew.

Wow! I upset somebody with my Green Lantern comment.... apologies sensei!

Also, what is this I'm hearing about that Kenneth Bragath is directing the movie and will also have a minor role in it? Is it true? A flashback type film would be a nice change of pace but hopefully the fan boys don't get upset because Asgard does not look real

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"