Thor's power level

We can't go by the current movie comparison, Thor is extremely powerful in the comics, His combined strength has no equal in the marvel comics world...Plus he is a God, Superman is not...Something one cannot dismiss as irrelevant.

It is. It really is.

Anyway, they are both around the same pwr lvl in the comics. But in the movies, Superman has Thor beat.

We can't go by the current movie comparison, Thor is extremely powerful in the comics, His combined strength has no equal in the marvel comics world...Plus he is a God, Superman is not...Something one cannot dismiss as irrelevant.
Head to head Thors combined powers would defeat Superman...Please note even Thor has enemies he cannot handle one on one...So I am not saying Thor is the end all of super heroes...He is clearly not...But with his extensive battle experience, being a god, the power to summon magical powers unseen by man and his planetary control of the elements and lets not forget his hammer, Superman but most importantly Zod are clearly outclassed...
Thor has faced threats his whole life which spans thousands of years,his sole purpose is to defend the realms... Superman is young and has a long way to go before he can stand as Thor"s equal....
Remember we are talking the comic book world...As for the movie world we shall see how much of Thors true power is revealed in TTDW...

:whatever: Comic book world Superman destorys solar systems with sneezes and can fly into and out of super massvie black holes. He can fly several times the speed of light. He's can speed blizzed into differnet demintions. He punches holes in reality. I don't think any Superhero in any comics have out done any of his highest feats. You make it seem as if superman doesnt' stand a chance.

Last edited:
It is. It really is.

Anyway, they are both around the same pwr lvl in the comics. But in the movies, Superman has Thor beat.

It is irrelevant. A God by definition is omnipotent. See all, hear all, be all. Thor is not that. Odin is slightly closer in the comics. But still is not. That's why the movie's interpretation is great. Because them being "gods" is dismissed as human ignorance. They are instead just an extremely powerful race from another realm/dimension. Much like Man of Steel Supes. Superman, similarly, in the comics has ridiculous feats like lifting "quintillions" of tons, moving the earth, etc. (see above post).

Both Superman and Thor's movie power levels are far more logically appealing to me.

It is irrelevant. A God by definition is omnipotent. See all, hear all, be all. Thor is not that. Odin is slightly closer in the comics. But still is not. That's why the movie's interpretation is great. Because them being "gods" is dismissed as human ignorance. They are instead just an extremely powerful race from another realm/dimension. Much like Man of Steel Supes. Superman, similarly, in the comics has ridiculous feats like lifting "quintillions" of tons, moving the earth, etc. (see above post).

Both Superman and Thor's movie power levels are far more logically appealing to me.

Yea Monotheistic gods are omnipotent. Pagan god's are not and only excell within there field of power. The classic beyonder is the only thing close to that.

I was saying it is irrelevant. BTW, a god is not be definition omnipotent as seen in many of our world's mythologies.

Yea Monotheistic gods are omnipotent. Pagan god's are not and only excell within there field of power. The classic beyonder is the only thing close to that.

I was saying it is irrelevant. BTW, a god is not be definition omnipotent as seen in many of our world's mythologies.

"God," not to be confused with "god." It's all in the details my friends.

And I was agreeing with you ares, that it is indeed irrelevant.

"God," not to be confused with "god." It's all in the details my friends.

And I was agreeing with you ares, that it is indeed irrelevant.

:funny: I was agreeing with you also. I was just reaffirming what you where saying only in sightly more detail.

Nothing is omnipotent since that concept is a logical fallacy. Omniscience is possible though, in the sense that it doesn't contradict itself.

On another note, the notion that a hero has destroyed a galaxy by sneezing must be one of the dumber things anyone has ever come up with in comics on several levels. :D

Mjölnir;26214037 said:
Nothing is omnipotent since that concept is a logical fallacy. Omniscience is possible though, in the sense that it doesn't contradict itself.

On another note, the notion that a hero has destroyed a galaxy by sneezing must be one of the dumber things anyone has ever come up with in comics on several levels. :D

It was a solar system. my bad. I think it was a dead unpopulated one. Precrisis superman was extreme which is why they rebooted him twice. (Post crisis and new 52)

Let get back to talking about Thor. I'm just hope that the fighting choreography in Thor TDW reflects his abilities.

Last edited:
I hope so as well, but I'm doubtful. As most of us know, TDW is being directed by Alan Taylor who did GoT. I think Thor will come across as more of a sword and sorcery hero then his more super-heroic self.

It was a solar system. my bad. I think it was a dead unpopulated one. Precrisis superman was extreme which is why they rebooted him twice. (Post crisis and new 52)

Let get back to talking about Thor. I'm just hope that the fighting choreography in Thor TDW reflects his abilities.
It's funny since it's so overboard that if a sneeze destroys a solar system he should be wiping out cities by blinking. But it's not very important, especially not here as you point out.

It will be interesting to see what they have come up with since Chris did say that they wanted Thor to fight more like a god this time because he's not just a hammer-throwing viking. Although the power comparisons to Superman are inevitable I'm satisfied as long as they make it work well in it's own context. I definitely don't want to see some sort of power race starting between the companies.

I hope so as well, but I'm doubtful. As most of us know, TDW is being directed by Alan Taylor who did GoT. I think Thor will come across as more of a sword and sorcery hero then his more super-heroic self.
Why would he not be able to do superhero stuff? He did Mad Men before GoT so by that logic he would have made the Blackwater episode into pure drama. Marvel knows what they want and will hire a director they think can deliver it.

Not to mention that Kenneth Branagh of all people directed the first movie.

Last edited:
Mjölnir;26214621 said:
Why would he not be able to do superhero stuff? He did Mad Men before GoT so by that logic he would have made the Blackwater episode into pure drama. Marvel knows what they want and will hire a director they think can deliver it.

Strawman.

Anyway, it's been mentioned how Taylor is making TDW a more "grounded" fantasy movie along the lines of GoT.

BTW, making Thor's powers more limited isn't a bad thing and doesn't mean Marvel doesn't know what they are doing. It's just trying something different which could lead to a far better movie.

Except for the fact that Hemsworth said in an interview that Thor is going to fight more like a god in this film than a viking. That quote in itself throws that out of the window, not to mention Thor leaping into the air and smashing the ground in the trailer.

Marvel recently stated in a prequel comic that Thor was weakened by dark energy during the events of The Avengers. They wouldn't say that if they didn't have plans on portraying him more powerfully in Thor:TDW and future films.

Except for the fact that Hemsworth said in an interview that Thor is going to fight more like a god in this film than a viking. That quote in itself throws that out of the window, not to mention Thor leaping into the air and smashing the ground in the trailer.

Link please.

In fact I've seen Hemsworth say this instead, "You can see he doesn't want Thor or the Asgardians to seem like some distant race or god-like."

Marvel recently stated in a prequel comic that Thor was weakened by dark energy during the events of The Avengers. They wouldn't say that if they didn't have plans on portraying him more powerfully in Thor:TDW and future films.

No it doesn't. It says that sending him through with the use of Dark Energy will be bad for Thor's health. Which we see later on when Thor lands on earth injured. That doesn't mean he is weakened.

Last edited:
he doesn't have to provide a link if he can't find it. I can vouch for him, many of us read that interview.

In terms of destructive power, no, Thor has a better feat, he destroyed a city size landscape in jotenheim, MoS supes hasnt done that. What Supes has is speed, strength, and extreme durability, but we haven't seen how supes would handle anything besides blunt force trauma. That machine he tried to destroy seemed to be hurting him a bit, and I would imagine thor can put out much more than that, if he has the casual power to level a mile of land. which I did over look, but it's tough to say who is superior in the movies cause we haven't seen thor cut loose really yet...secondly, why are we even talking about the comics? The initial comment I responded to that started this page long debate was referring to their film versions, not the comics..more can be said after we see the movie

he doesn't have to provide a link if he can't find it. I can vouch for him, many of us read that interview.

Except Hemsworth's interview here basically says the opposite with Thor being less god-like.

In terms of destructive power, no, Thor has a better feat, he destroyed a city size landscape in jotenheim, MoS supes hasnt done that. What Supes has is speed, strength, and extreme durability, but we haven't seen how supes would handle anything besides blunt force trauma. That machine he tried to destroy seemed to be hurting him a bit, and I would imagine thor can put out much more than that, if he has the casual power to level a mile of land. which I did over look, but it's tough to say who is superior in the movies cause we haven't seen thor cut loose really yet...

It was a very good feat. But in the end it was a piece of "hanging" ice. What Thor did seems to have destabilized it causing the rest to collapse. Impressive to be sure, but not on some entirely other level. Heck, Hulk stopping the Leviathan or Thor killing a few with lightning both seem more impressive to me.

secondly, why are we even talking about the comics? The initial comment I responded to that started this page long debate was referring to their film versions, not the comics..more can be said after we see the movie

We were discussing The Dark World prelude comic which is presumably canon to the MCU.

Edit: Found the Hemsworth interview. This is what he says, "I really wanted to ramp up his skill set in battle. He's not just this Viking throwing the hammer. Here he's more demigod with dynamic moves we haven't seen before."

So with this quote and the other I'm not sure what's going to happen... lol

No it doesn't. It says that sending him through with the use of Dark Energy will be bad for Thor's health. Which we see later on when Thor lands on earth injured. That doesn't mean he is weakened.

Actually it said using the dark energy would come at a "cost", which certainly sounds closer to being weakened than unhealthy.

I can't really say you're wrong though, because there hasn't been enough info on it yet so I guess we'll see. :woot:

Except Hemsworth's interview here basically says the opposite with Thor being less god-like.

It was a very good feat. But in the end it was a piece of "hanging" ice. What Thor did seems to have destabilized it causing the rest to collapse. Impressive to be sure, but not on some entirely other level. Heck, Hulk stopping the Leviathan or Thor killing a few with lightning both seem more impressive to me.

We were discussing The Dark World prelude comic which is presumably canon to the MCU.

Edit: Found the Hemsworth interview. This is what he says, "I really wanted to ramp up his skill set in battle. He's not just this Viking throwing the hammer. Here he's more demigod with dynamic moves we haven't seen before."

That world makes me so Bleeping angry. Thor is a god!!!!

Not me, it's just a way for Marvel to make Thor less offensive and more acceptable to society he's still the same guy.

Strawman.

Anyway, it's been mentioned how Taylor is making TDW a more "grounded" fantasy movie along the lines of GoT.

BTW, making Thor's powers more limited isn't a bad thing and doesn't mean Marvel doesn't know what they are doing. It's just trying something different which could lead to a far better movie.
That's not a strawman. That point was just an addition to a question, which you didn't answer, so it was me asking why GoT would cause that but not other shows (and my statement is of the exact same logic as yours, and people actually debated his ability before they saw what he did in GoT). If anything I'd have expected that the first Thor would have killed such misconceptions since Kenneth Branagh

My post already mentioned the quote from Hemsworth that you've been discussing since and where it comes to the interview you posted I read that as he's talking about that he brings a more organic feel to the visuals (which is apparently the conclusion drawn by the interviewer as well) and try to make the characters relatable. The latter seems important since the protagonist is Thor, not Jane, and Branagh pretty much did the same thing on that account. I think more questions will be answered when we get the first real trailer.

While I want to see Thor do some impressive things I can agree that the scale isn't the most important part about the movies. The most important thing is to tell the story and make the action mean something, but they still have to go fairly big in order for it to make sense that they are making a movie about Thor. I think that if Marvel wanted less power they'd have chosen a different hero.

:oldrazz: The upcoming trailer should answer all of our questions...:doh: Next week seems so far away.....

So movie Thor can't use his hammer for dimensional transportation?

that right there has me so geeked...
i just imagined Thor traveling lightspeed attacking groups of dwarves at a time but it seeming like hes teleporting through bolts of lightning how azazel or nightcrawler teleported in the x-films, that would be sooo amazing. And it would shut up the MOS fanboys about their speedblitz permanently.

I can also see a massive scale attack on Asgard and Earth at the same time where Malekith forces Thor to choose between saving Earth or Asgard. It would be incredible to witness Malekith summoning an asteroid meteor shower to pummel earth but at the same time using Dark magic to deteriorate Asgard.

Thor can do alotta things but he can't be too places at once, and he's forced to decide to choose between Asgard- the only home he knows, or to defend Earth from a conflict it didn't even choose.

:woot::woot::woot::woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"