Dark Phoenix "TOAD has a Wicked Tongue" - The Evan Jonigkeit / Toad Thread

I hope he and Alex Shipp remake the "Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lighting?" scene :hehe:

just kidding! :woot:

It's gonna be Toad vs Nightcrawler

Surprised they are bringing him back. I am uessing he will be part of Magneto's team?

this is exactly how they should approach this franchise. Characters than can still play a part, even if small, shouldnt be killed or recast after their 1st movie. They dont have to appear in all movies, but now that Magneto has built Genosha, makes perfect sense to use the characters/actors already introduced two movies ago. Id do the same with Blob. Blob appeared in XMA, so now that Magneto has become a mutant leader and all his classic followers have already been introduced (toad, quicksilver, blob....), the best option is to use them and having a classic roster. instead of random people from different comics for no reason.

Last edited:
this is exactly how they should approach this franchise. Characters than can still play a part, even if small, shouldnt be killed or recast after their 1st movie. They dont dont have to appear in all movies, but now that Magneto has built Genosha, makes perfect sense to use the characters/actors already introduced two movies ago. Id do the same with Blob. Blob appeared in XMA, so now that Magneto has become a mutant leader and all his classic followers have already been introduced (toad, quicksilver, blob....), the best option is to use them and having a classic roster. instead of random people from different comics for no reason.

Huh? I thought Magneto joined the X-Men at the end of Apocalypse and was working with Xavier. He helped to rebuild the mansion didn't he? Is he going to go off on one of his rampages again, taking those mutants who could form the Brotherhood?

I don't remember Blob in Apocalypse. I thought he was in X-Men origins.

I hope this Toad has more stuff to do and can act better than Ray Park.

what?

Magneto helped Charles but he left the mansion at the very end, he didnt accept to live there with all the X-Men. Didnt you hear about the Genosha rumor? he more than likely will have his own subplot/location, apart from the X-Men and the school.

and you didnt see Blob? did you forget the movie or what? he was the one fighting Angel on that mutant cage at the beggining. He even had the comics costume, or a clear nod to it.

Toad never was one of Magneto's Acolytes as far as I remember...he really shouldn't be on Genosha or Asteriod M then. Would be COMPLETELY comic book inaccurate. :p

what?

Magneto helped Charles but he left the mansion at the very end, he didnt accept to live there with all the X-Men. Didnt you hear about the Genosha rumor? he more than likely will have his own subplot/location, apart from the X-Men and the school.

and you didnt see Blob? did you forget the movie or what? he was the one fighting Angel on that mutant cage at the beggining. He even had the comics costume, or a clear nod to it.

I don't have a great recollection of the movie. It wasn't the greatest. I only remember a few bits and pieces here and there.

this is exactly how they should approach this franchise. Characters than can still play a part, even if small, shouldnt be killed or recast after their 1st movie. They dont have to appear in all movies

Apocalypse was a perfect time to sit out Mystique, Magneto. These people only see each other once every decade. Is it so out of the realm of possibility Mystique saw Xavier in a different year in the 1980s other than 1983? Ditto Magneto.

Yeah, thats one of my big script issues of these movies. Its so unrealistic, not to mention that has become a formula: 10 years later something important happen to the XMen and these two curiously pop up again, leading us to the next question: during those 10 years nothing important happens to Xmen lifes or school? Seriously? All of this feels fake in all levels

Apocalypse was a perfect time to sit out Mystique, Magneto. These people only see each other once every decade. Is it so out of the realm of possibility Mystique saw Xavier in a different year in the 1980s other than 1983? Ditto Magneto.
Its called convenient writing.

Mystique could have stayed at the mansion for like 5 years and then she went with quicksilver to help Magneto for the next 5 years.

There is nothing to say that after apocalypse they didn't see each other for 10 years.

Yeah, thats one of my big script issues of these movies. Its so unrealistic, not to mention that has become a formula: 10 years later something important happen to the XMen and these two curiously pop up again

Thats not unrealistic, its just convenient.

But then lets look at Logan... how convenient the X-Men are probably dead so its just Xavier and Logan alone, or the convenience that the X-Men and brotherhood will be missing in the tv show gifted because they don't have any plans to cross over with the films.

Although is deadpool gonna acknowledge the X-Men being missing? probably not.

during those 10 years nothing important happens to Xmen lifes or school? Seriously? All of this feels fake in all levels

Plenty can happen to the characters, it just doesn't have to be a regular huge event

Last edited:
Yeah, thats one of my big script issues of these movies. Its so unrealistic, not to mention that has become a formula: 10 years later something important happen to the XMen and these two curiously pop up again, leading us to the next question: during those 10 years nothing important happens to Xmen lifes or school? Seriously? All of this feels fake in all levels

the movie actually gave us a great explanation why Mystique showed up again in 1983 and why she refused living at the school with Xavier before. She was busy traveling the world and saving lives, why Xavier taught American mutants...some people just don't bother to listen to the actual plot because "it is a little different from the comic books".

The 10 year gap is actually a very smart way to keep the continuity more flexible and tell very different stories from different angles. the X-Men movies feel like small episodes in a larger history. Xavier taught at the school for 10 years without doing anything else than teaching kids. That's not nothing but less interesting to do a movie about than the re-emergence of Apocalypse and forming the X-Men. For me personally, it is great way for world building. By now Singer created quite a compelling and complex world where fictional stories are wittingly intertwined with real world history. I don't mind that I do not know what happened in these years in between.

It is forced just like the reasoning why the X-Men should still stay in the past after how many films now.

The time jump was played well in DOFP. You could understand where the characters had been and felt the weight of those 10 years even if you couldn't see it.

Apocalypse made everything feel contrived. Characters either felt like they hadn't developed, or that they were arbitrarily put in circumstances just to watch it fall apart.

I miss plain old sequels. I hope (if it's good) that Dark Phoenix marks the end of the jumps and they remain in the 90's.

The time jump was played well in DOFP. You could understand where the characters had been and felt the weight of those 10 years even if you couldn't see it.

Apocalypse made everything feel contrived. Characters either felt like they hadn't developed, or that they were arbitrarily put in circumstances just to watch it fall apart.

I miss plain old sequels. I hope (if it's good) that Dark Phoenix marks the end of the jumps and they remain in the 90's.

There was also no key event to root the film in 1983, at least none that I can remember.

The Cuban Missile Crisis and then Vietnam War/Paris Peace Accords gave some weight to the stories of the two prior instalments.

apocalypse felt like a bad filler to me.

A good installment in a series should hook you, start somewhere fresh or surprising from the getgo with no need to explain everything that's going on (not like that one scene in DOFP where they all sit down and have a chat to explain the time travel... why not have some tea while they're at it?) and, in the case of ensembles, it should bring the different pieces to a puzzle together creatively, maybe even through some crazy twists.

Apocalypse should (1) lead Mystique back into being a villain (2) have Hank dating a human and be over Mystique (after 10 years? Come on!) (3) have a better backstory, dialogue and development for new characters Nightcrawler, Cyke, Psylocke, Angel, Jean (4) Actually have Quicksilver meet his goal and join his father.

The only way you should be bound to DOFP with Apocalypse is maybe by explaining that a time-altering event awoke Apocalypse. That makes it fit perfectly into the franchise, yet you can work a very solid standalone film otherwise. Something Mangold did with Jackman's films is they are nowhere near a rehash of each other, they are very unique and well-written films on their own and they are enjoyable on several levels.

Last edited:
And Toad needs to be a little sillier, doesn't he? I feel he tends to be more comical than he's coming off on screen.

Maybe they should have the "you know what happens to a toad when..." lines that they were originally doing for X1. Then they could have Storm do everyone's favorite line again and it would actually make sense this time. :woot:

It won't be a classic the way Ginger Ale delivered the line.

Though with Kinberg directing, it would be over the top cheesy with matching background music. A Mortal Kombat II teas.

how would it make more sense this time?

I'm thinking it'd be the same. But the one who really needs some lines, and funny ones, would be Toad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"