Iron Fist Tom Pelphrey IS Ward Meachum

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
“90210” alum Jessica Stroup has been cast in “Marvel’s Iron Fist” on Netflix, Variety has learned exclusively. Tom Pelphrey (“Banshee,” “Guiding Light”) has also been cast in the upcoming superhero series.
Stroup will play the series regular role of Joy Meachum. Pelphrey will play her on-screen brother, Ward Meachum.

The duo joins the title star Finn Jones (“Game of Thrones”), who will play Danny Rand/Iron Fist; Jessica Henwick, who will co-star as Colleen Wing; and David Wenham, who will play Harold Meachum, the father to Joy (Stroup) and Ward (Pelphrey).

The children of Harold Meachum (Wenham), Joy and Ward have spent their lives building Rand Enterprises to its current standing in the world, only to have all their work put in jeopardy when Danny returns to claim his birthright. They are childhood acquaintances of Danny Rand’s who now play an important role in Rand Enterprises.

“Marvel’s Iron Fist” follows Jones’ Danny Rand as he returns to New York City after being missing for years. He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his incredible kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist. “Dexter” alum Scott Buck will serve as showrunner.

Stroup and Pelphrey are the final two series regulars to be cast in “Marvel’s Iron Fist.”

Stroup starred on the CW’s “90210” reboot, plus Fox’s Kevin Bacon vehicle “The Following.” She is repped by ICM.

Variety

Interesting that they chose to make Ward Meachum her brother instead of her uncle like in the books.

Interesting that they chose to make Ward Meachum her brother instead of her uncle like in the books.

I guess it just gives him and Danny a stronger connection than in the source material.

It's clear they are trying to make Joy and Ward like Danny's childhood friends. Maybe not best friends but they were clearly together in their childhood.

I wonder how bad they will make Joy and Ward as well and if any of them will have the potential to redeem themselves.

Joy was one of his love interests in the comics if I recall correctly.

Can Joy be a potential love interest?

EDIT: Okay, Verick just answered that question... :funny:

Joy was one of his love interests in the comics if I recall correctly.

In the more recent Iron Fist comics Joy and Danny were sleeping together.

Joy was like revenge obsessed Harry Osborne in the Raimi Spider-Man movies in the comics most of her history. She blamed Iron Fist for her fathers death and spent years trying to have him killed. Eventually she finds out Danny is Iron Fist and can't kill him.

It's clear they are trying to make Joy and Ward like Danny's childhood friends. Maybe not best friends but they were clearly together in their childhood.

I wonder how bad they will make Joy and Ward as well and if any of them will have the potential to redeem themselves.

I think Ward will be more ruthless than Joy. From the leaked character descriptions:

http://mcuexchange.com/new-characte...els-iron-fist-seemingly-hint-at-colleen-wing/

Character Name: WALTER

30 — 35 yrs old, male, Caucasian, intelligent and insecure, brilliant in the office but has a ruthless streak. (Series Regular.)

Character Name: JODY

25 – 30 yrs old, female, Caucasian, highly-educated, logical, compassionate. (Series Regular.)

They seem to be setting Joy up as being the more open-minded of the two. I think they'll have her be a semi-love interest here, but I hope nothing comes of it, because I really want to see Danny and Misty together.

Last edited:
I thought Tom Pelphrey was really good as Ward. Even though the writing was sometimes all over the place, I surprisingly found him to be the most interesting character. After seeing Tom in Banshee, I wished he was more of a badass here, but I guess that just wasn't his character. It was a little weird that the drug addict was in better shape than Iron Fist, who had been training for almost his whole life.

Pelphrey showed so much range in this show...Ward was definitely one of the best characters.

Stole the show in my opinion. When Ward and Harold were on screen.... absolute gold!

Haven't seen the guy in anything else, but he was pretty good here. He's one of the reasons why I think a season 2 still needs some boardroom drama with Danny spending part of his time trying to work with Ward & Joy. I'd also like to see how they would develop Ward as a character given he's no longer a slave to his father.

I liked his character arc the most of all the characters in the show. Great actor too he really felt like a jerk when he wanted too but i also felt sorry for him at the end of the show.

The thing about Ward that makes him such a great character is that he's as much his own worst enemy as anyone else.

• He embezzled from his company; it was to get away from his horrible father, but he stole it from the workers' pension fund.

• He was verbally abusive and distant to his sister; it was to protect her, but he ultimately didn't respect Joy enough to trust her with the truth.

• He was a bully to Danny; he came from a broken home and probably didn't know better (we see the same thing with Trish in Jessica Jones season 2), but he never really seems to get away from that kind of mentality towards Danny as an adult.
I think it's a real testament to Tom Pelphrey's performance that Ward is a character that is both so sympathetic and easy to hate at the same time.

Completely agree. During the first episode I thought I had the character figured out, but they created a really great redemption arc. One of the few things in season one I thought was handled incredibly well. As oppose to Joy who didn't really have a solid story arc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"