Toys!

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
Anyone else here a toy collector? This thread is to discuss recent toy purchases, or simply share some pictures of drool worthy geek merchandise.

It doesn't have to be simply comic book stuff in this thread. Gaming, animation, cinema, all kinds of geek oriented merchandise goes here.

Recently picked up this Sonic the Hedgehog Pez Dispenser by Funko.

93bdf6f9-9365-44bf-9005-ce6323596be0.jpg

Neat little piece of Sonic merch. A good value. Got mine for only $3.88 at Wal Mart.

Got this for Christmas. Diamond Select put a lot of detail into this pretty inexpensive figure. Love the packaging too.

71146WUA8NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I got a silly amount of figures, lol! I collect all MCU based Marvel Legends figures, I have most of the DCEU figures from the Multiverse line, and I collect some old school G1 Transformers. I actually should be receiving wave 2 of the Black Panther line soonish as well as the Captain Marvel wave.

Recently got the Power Rangers Legacy Collection: Auto Morphin Tommy figure.

I'm really impressed with this. They faithfully recreated the packaging of the original 1994 release of this toy, and put it in a slick looking, silver box. Looks great on display.

71s6RGLjHKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm currently working my way through collecting the NECA Gears of War Action Figures (boxed obviously) but I have noticed that certain runs of figures are available in B&M (UK) including Ghostbuster rerelease figures and a large range of DC figures.

The issue I have with the GoW figures is A NECA stopped making them and now McFarlane has taken over and made them statuettes rather than figures and also B I can't seem to find a genuine up to date list of all GoW figures including the exclusive releases and boxsets. For instance I've found a poster online which shows the images of the figures with v1, v2 etc but I bought a box of 4 figures - Delta Squad and for some reason this isn't showing up in any of the listings I've found. Is it a one off? Is it a combination of the first series figures conveniently boxed up together?

Who knows? Not me

Anyway. Thought I'd share

So following on from my Gears of War collection, I'm buying different figures as I go but it doesn't say on the boxes which varient they are.

Ie v1, v2 or which series it is released from. Anyone have any knowledge of how I would find out?

Mattel's been dropping the ball on their WWE products too. Some of the male high-end figures are pretty good, but all the female figures are repulsive, even when compared to previous licensee Jakks.

I'm looking forward to more of the Star Wars 6" Black Series, Samurai Marvel and Samurai Star Wars figures:

AXZBdO6.jpg

Marvel%2BMuhomono%2BWolverine%2BMeisho%2BManga%2BRealization%2BAction%2BFigure%2Bby%2BBandai%2BTamashii%2BNations%2B%25282%2529.jpg

I also want to post something that will hopefully raise some positive support for something (not comic related, sorry)...and before anyone says, it, I'm not a fan of the character, but would buy a figure for customizing.

Sign the Petition

I chipped in $6 to the cause...not necessary, but they need 100 names on the petition to convince the manufacturer into making one, so every little bit helps. Apologies to Mods...didn't see a generalized 'figure forum' or 'Star Wars Black Series Forum' here, so that's why this post was made.

Last edited:
came across an auction up for a lot of 569 pounds of misc lego's that went for $1,400...
legos.jpg

what would you build with that?

Last edited:
Picked up some of the new Jakks Pacific Sonic toys.. Bendy Sonic, Bendy Knuckles and the rare Ray the Squirrel booster!

apieauj6w__56913.1552058546.jpg
latest
latest

I don't collect them as I'm too on the fence in regards to the packaging, how to display them, and just not having enough room in the apartment I own and wish I bought a house. LOL

I posted something on the Batman Villains thread after trying to solve a mystery on a particular character I used to think was a silver age Batman villain from since I was a kid (found out about a month ago his name is Tyr and not actually a Batman villain which I pretty much guessed but wanted to double check).

Who here remembers Kenner's "Super Powers" collections or tie-in products from the 80's? (Can click on photos to enlarge if wish). I don't have any of these toys anymore as they've been long gone so the name of this toyline escaped me for quite a while.

Villains we need to see in this Batman solo franchise
Did anyone know Mr. Freeze had a buddy?

23933092a77b157acb00bee5e86974f0.jpg

BvNEM5dIgAAi-LS.jpg

As a kid I had both these action figures and would refer to 1 as Mr. Heat and the other as Mr. Freeze. I couldn't remember the red dude's actual name but did some digging and found that it's Tyr.

Kenner and DC comics had a Toyline that they introduced together in the 1980's described here: Super Powers Collection - Wikipedia

A number of tie-ins including cards and comic miniseries were made each year that new toys were released that fell outside of regular DC comics continuity. In the 3rd "Super Powers" miniseries (correlating with the 3rd wave of toys) illustrated by Carmine Infantino had Mr. Freeze and Tyr appear together...

The Legion of Super Bloggers! : LEGION TOYS: Tyr (DC Universe Classics Series 14) ...him and Mister Freeze went off and had a buddy movie to the tune of 48 Hours in the mini-series, so I will forever associate the two characters as being 2 peas in the (Super Powers) pod.

So yeah, Tyr's not a Batman villain (DC Comic based appearances seen here: Tyr (Character) - Comic Vine). This bit of toy nostalgia and the event tie-ins that existed outside of continuity though I think call for this most unlikely of duos to return in a Kirby like animated short of some sort.:cwink:

If Mr. Freeze does appear in this Batman live action movie franchise though it would be funny to put a little easter egg in concerning a buddy he may've had at some point but can't remember if it was a cryogenically induced delusion or not.

The Wikipedia article Super Powers Collection - Wikipedia pretty much summarizes everything. I see one guy has a fair share of the collection though:

Other user channels on youtube like Retroblasting, Alex the Comic Hoarder, and Toy Galaxy I see have videos on the main toyline as well so evidently it was a thing not everyone's forgotten about.

As far as some of the spinoff products mentioned in the wikipedia article I also found this old Burger King commercial from 1986:

**After looking through that wikipedia page again, I just noticed that from 2016-2017 a toy company called "Gentle Giant" made 3" and 12 " variations of some of the classic central figures of the Super Powers line as well. The packaging mimics the classic Kenner line from the 80's... The giant Batman figure in that collector video I linked above is actually a newer toy from Gentle Giant the collector has intermixed alongside the classic 80's figures and you can tell the packaging is very similar.

Last edited:
Got some more bendy Sonic figures. Super Sonic & Metal Sonic.

Paintjob on Metal Sonic is kinda disappointing, to be honest. It doesn't have that shiny finish the promo pictures advertise and he's a MUCH darker shade of blue than the pictures show. Dark red pupils blend in too much with his black eyes too. It's ok.

Super Sonic figure is nice. The arms are incorrectly colored yellow though (they should be tan like his cheeks)

I think they did a better job with the bendy Sonic and Knuckles toys. Still a nice line of figures, though.

apimcfmbr__58572.1575923907.jpg
apikbtudr__93230.1575924169.jpg

I was bored so I utilized Google Translate to search in Japanese for some products and this a Japanese company by the name of "Good Smile Company":
Good Smile Company - Wikipedia
Good Smile Company was established by Aki Takanori in 2001 as an event management and talent company. Thereafter it began working with Max Factory on hobby related products which soon become the main focus of the company. Good Smile Company is now primarily involved in the planning, production, manufacturing and sales of figures and toys, but also markets accessories and other goods...

Good Smile Company also acts as a distributor and for a number of other hobby related companies including Max Factory, FREEing and Phat! Company. The company has a particularly long relationship with Max Factory, and often shares booths and display space with them at events such as Wonder Festival. As of June 2012, Good Smile Company moved from Matsudo, Chiba to the Tokyo Skytree's East Tower, which has become the joint headquarters for them and Max Factory.

'Kahotan's Blog' is a popular blog which introduces both Good Smile Company and related products to the public through the eyes of one of the female staff members. The blog is available in both English and Japanese.

The products I was interested in on the Goodsmile Company website were primarily the one's they were distributing for Freeing. Some of these I see can be picked up on Amazon as well...

1) Released in 2017 were 1/12th scale miniature arcades of Namco classics made by "Freeing" and distributed by the "Goodsmile Company". I like them more for display purposes to put on a shelf more than anything as they look like an actual attempt to mimic the design of the originals with fake quarter slots for instance:

NAMCO Arcade Machine Collection (Tank Battalion / PAC-MAN / Galaga / Galaxian / RALLY-X)
Tank Battalion, Pac Man, Galaga, Galaxian, and Rally-X are pictured below:
dafb52a427f936d1d29f36c4d4050f55.jpg

5a3e674f50216dd2fcc047aaac86d7d6.jpg

2) Released in 2018 was the "Table Museum" line ("The Thinker" is displayed next to the mini arcade in picture above); the Freeing Company also made these as well while the Goodsmile company was the main distributor... Each of these figures can be put in the classic architecture/art based inspiration pose or riff on it a bit with different poses.

8973288865822.jpg

3) An earlier release in 2011 by the Freeing company that perhaps inspired the "Table Museum" line was this classic painting:figma The Scream(Re-Release) | GOODSMILE GLOBAL ONLINE SHOP

9080791498782.jpg

9080793464862.jpg

Last edited:
McFarlane's Kickstarter for his classic Spawn remaster already funded in matter of minutes...

I want that classic Spawn figure. But that's a lot of money lol. Basically paying 60 bucks for the one figure. I am still debating if I want to fund it.

I want that classic Spawn figure. But that's a lot of money lol. Basically paying 60 bucks for the one figure. I am still debating if I want to fund it.
That's what I've pledged. $97 CAD including shipping fees... :funny:

If it can help you decide, McFarlane has added some stretch goals which have been unlocked successfully and they include an additional head and hands. The box feels premium too.

I may fund it basically on the hope that Violator and others get the same treatment.

Hello fellow toy friends. Sold off a lot of stuff so it is easy to move but I still have a bunch of MAC Buffy figures, Neca Bioshock and Mezco South Park. An odd range, but I love them. Still got some holes to fill in the collection, and I customize my own too. Lockdown has been useful in this regard haha.

The industry is a lot worse than when I was a kid sadly. Only the real mainstream lines (Star Wars/Marvel) seem to succeed. A lot of cool companies don't exist anymore, and most lines don't have the depth they used to. You won't see a line like Playmates' World of Springfield or Toy Biz' Lord of the Rings anymore.

That said, the quality is insanely good nowadays. New technology, and all that. The face printing stuff can be marvelous.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"