The Rise of Skywalker Uniting the Trilogies

I am thinking uniting the trilogies will have something to do with explaining more about the nature of the Force, what balance is, and how the struggle between darkness and light works.

I agree. It's been 8 movies, and the rules still feel pretty murky. A unifying explanation of the force would be a big help in uniting the trilogies.

Oh, and a great way to explain the force....IMO.... explain how and why some Jedi are able to disappear at death. Qui-Got did not, nor did other Jedi in Attack of the Clones. I would love a return to Qui-Gon's living force theory, essentially explaining his teachings to Yoda more in detail. That'd help it all come full circle.

The final scene of The Last Jedi really should have been saved for the end of Episode IX. It's the perfect conclusion to the entire saga - it shows there will always be another New Hope to pick up a sword and fight tyranny.

The final scene of The Last Jedi really should have been saved for the end of Episode IX. It's the perfect conclusion to the entire saga - it shows there will always be another New Hope to pick up a sword and fight tyranny.

I agree with that, and if Luke disappeared, it shouldn't have happened until the third movie as well.

Dying for some interesting lore, though this is the mindset that encouraged midichlorians. I want to see The First Order's dirty secrets at least. They're still pretty generic at the moment. Something revolutionary has to happen for us to believe for a second that this ending will stick.

If Kylo isn't going to be redeemed (I don't think he convincingly can be at this point), maybe he has had children since The Last Jedi. It could come off as really repetitive, but we've never seen a kid raised by a darkside parent.

The only thing that truly unites the narrative of the first two trilogies into a whole is The Emperor. Some ephemeral thing like The Force can't 'unite' the narrative of the trilogies.

As such, logic dictates that if the third(or fourth) trilogy is to be united with the first two, then the only way it can be is if The Emperor somehow survived RoTJ and this entire ST has been a story of how he gets back to power.

Otherwise, you're just making up a new story, fracturing the Saga into basically an Anthology of stories. Wait... weren't Anthologies supposed to be the standalones, not the Saga itself?

Some ideas as how to unite the trilogies:

-Kylo Ren reigns over / lays waste to Coruscant.

-Rey and/or Kylo Ren go to Tatooine (the Skywalker farm) and/or Naboo.

-Snoke is the Prime Jedi, a balance between light and dark, who aims to achieve peace through violent means (wheres one of his apprentices Sidious just wanted power for selfish ends). He's mastered the ability to manipulate the Force to bring himself back to life, albeit at the expense of other life, a power Kylo Ren wishes to learn as well. The looming return of Snoke is one of the stakes in the third act, which perhaps all the Force ghosts, or Kylo Ren himself, prevent at their own expense.

-Yoda suggests (not confirms) to Luke that Rey may be the next incarnation of the Chosen One, created by the Force to balance the upset in the natural order created by Snoke.

-Rey meets the ghost of her grandfather Obi-Wan before all the Force ghosts leave to whatever's next.

-The stormtroopers lay down their arms, due in large part to the actions of Finn. The cycle of war is finally broken and we never see stormtroopers, one of the faces of the 9-part saga, after this moment.

Last edited:
Open with The Resistance eliminating First Order occupation in Naboo. Poe is leading a guerilla outfit. Finn and Rose have become proficient troops, quick thinking and cunning. Rey arrives late with Chewbacca and wreck shop. The battle is won and the group settle down to catch up a little. You realize they have gathered at a memorial for Padme and Leia, and you get a nice moment to grieve.

I am thinking uniting the trilogies will have something to do with explaining more about the nature of the Force, what balance is, and how the struggle between darkness and light works.

I didn't get the impression from TFA that Abrams is really interested in exploring the spiritual aspect of the story. The Force stuff was pretty basic - nothing new.

I think he is more interested why Kylo Ren is bad than how the Force works.

Some ideas as how to unite the trilogies:

-Kylo Ren reigns over / lays waste to Coruscant.

-Rey and/or Kylo Ren go to Tatooine (the Skywalker farm) and/or Naboo.

-Snoke is the Prime Jedi, a balance between light and dark, who aims to achieve peace through violent means (wheres one of his apprentices Sidious just wanted power for selfish ends). He's mastered the ability to manipulate the Force to bring himself back to life, albeit at the expense of other life, a power Kylo Ren wishes to learn as well. The looming return of Snoke is one of the stakes in the third act, which perhaps all the Force ghosts, or Kylo Ren himself, prevent at their own expense.

-Yoda suggests (not confirms) to Luke that Rey may be the next incarnation of the Chosen One, created by the Force to balance the upset in the natural order created by Snoke.

-Rey meets the ghost of her grandfather Obi-Wan before all the Force ghosts leave to whatever's next.

-The stormtroopers lay down their arms, due in large part to the actions of Finn. The cycle of war is finally broken and we never see stormtroopers, one of the faces of the 9-part saga, after this moment.

I don't see any place for Tatooine in the movie. None of the remaining characters have any connection to it and I think the less Abrams uses the OT elements like that the better.

Naboo would be a great place for the Resistance to hold Leia's funeral. Other than that I want all new environments. I would like the big final battle to take place on, in and over Mon Cala.

If Maul can survive being cut in half, Snoke certainly can. However, cannot see how this can be done and not undermine Kylo's story. And Abrams knew Snoke's fate long before TLJ stated shooting - he was obviously fine with Snoke getting the chop. Maybe it was even the plan from the start of TFA.

Rey is not related to Obi-Wan or any other known character.

I do like the idea of the stormtroopers giving up the fight. They are victims as much as anyone and I feel it would be more interesting if Finn was a lot more hesitant that about killing them when he knows they were stolen as children like himself.

I agree with that.

I've always wanted Luke's story to end with him heading of into the sunset (so to speak) - he leaves the new heroes to fight cause while he goes on a galactic walkabout into the Unknown Regions and because almost a myth.

Johnson's take on it was excellent - it is a hell of a way for Luke to bow out but I would have preferred to see it as the end of the families story after the victory. Since Leia's is Ben's mother it does make sense for her to have been the main character at the end (which doesn't require Luke to die beforehand either). However, I'm very surprised they didn't alter the story after Fisher's death so Luke could have her role.

Truthfully, I don't care one way or the other if they "unite" the trilogies. To me, Star Wars is three really good movies--one saga nicely wrapped up. The rest is just gravy.

But, what I don't want them to do is to force (pun intended) something into the story that unites everything. Chewbacca's inclusion in Revenge of the Sith annoyed me for that very reason.

Jeez, feels like there a bunch of new posters showing up out of the blue these days. And here I thought forums were dying. Welcome Jenocide!

I kind of agree tbh. The way I look at it-- the core of the saga will always be the OT. That's the main attraction, that's the heart of the story. Then you have the PT and ST as two bookends that kind of deconstruct and recontexualize it in different ways. I think there is a potential opportunity for Episode IX to be a denouement of sorts to the whole thing, and I think it would be cool if they can pull that off in a way that feels natural. But if not, I'd be happy to just get a good movie. If it doesn't work out- I certainly won't freak out cause I'll always have the OT. Star Wars has given me more than enough joy and escapism in my life at this point, and I can always turn on those originals and feel like a kid again. So I agree that it's basically all gravy.

Jeez, feels like there a bunch of new posters showing up out of the blue these days.

New People... or Refugees?

Remember... certain sites have declared war on the fans and any deviation from the party line is considered to be trolling. The Purge is in full effect.

Thankfully, this seems to be a fairly level-headed site that allows for some level of back and forth and opposing viewpoints. Hopefully it stays that way.

Truthfully, I've been looking for a place to land since IMDB shut down their boards.

Thanks for the welcome. Hope ya'll are nicer than the folks there were...

The IMDb boards were pure chaos because they were unmoderated. That made it pretty much impossible to have a decent discussion on the really popular boards.

I miss the IMDb boards because you could find boards for anything, but I don't miss that part of it.

Agreed. The wide array of topics was appealing. But some of the people there could be down right nasty.

I like all the SW movies. Each offer something different. Jar jar and talks about sand never bothered me. Plus original trilogy had ewoks defeat the empire. Nuff said. I never thought I'd get a sequel trilogy or spin offs so its exciting. I thought Disney would make the new movies even more kid friendly but I was dead wrong. I love the new direction. Bleek, moody and violent and aimed towards my tastes. Love that the prequel trilogy is being incorporated into the new movies too and not ignored because of fanboy manbabies. Prequel fans are just as entitled as original trilogy fans plus they are both Lucas creations anyway. Disney are just adding to what Lucas created. I hope all three trilogies are united in a way that they feel like a beginning trilogy. Middle trilogy and end trilogy to a bigger, overall story.

Truthfully, I've been looking for a place to land since IMDB shut down their boards.

Thanks for the welcome. Hope ya'll are nicer than the folks there were...

If you find yourself missing the heated arguments, visit the Dark Phoenix section. It's delightfully insane.

I still remember the IMDB boards for TFA. It was about half people trying to actually have conversations and half trolls who were just posting dirty threads to get a reaction Just got to be too much after a while.

So now that we have one pretty major answer for how this film will unite the trilogies, I figured this thread could use a bump.

One thing I'm really loving about the Palps reveal. If he's back as some sort of Force Ghost...the first title in the saga being "The Phantom Menace" becomes a pretty awesome piece of foreshadowing.

Well, he was already clearly "the phantom menace" all through the prequels, but yeah, it certainly adds another layer of significance to it.

I do really love the idea of his return here. Not only in a practical sense in that it's the most elegant way of tying the three trilogies together without getting bogged down in too much minor lore from the books and cartoons that 90% of viewers won't know, but also it's perfect with how George always talked about Sheev as literally "the devil". He's pure evil, the GFFA satan analogue.

Of course he's gonna be back. :up: To me it doesn't cheapen Anakin's arc at all, the redemption there was Anakin turning back and balancing his soul to save the next generation, killing Palpatine wasn't the important factor there. Just the means.

Still thinking he did physically kill him though. It's just that, as we know, that's not necessarily the end for someone that potent in the ways of the Force.

Well, he was already clearly "the phantom menace" all through the prequels, but yeah, it certainly adds another layer of significance to it.

I do really love the idea of his return here. Not only in a practical sense in that it's the most elegant way of tying the three trilogies together without getting bogged down in too much minor lore from the books and cartoons that 90% of viewers won't know, but also it's perfect with how George always talked about Sheev as literally "the devil". He's pure evil, the GFFA satan analogue.

Of course he's gonna be back. :up: To me it doesn't cheapen Anakin's arc at all, the redemption there was Anakin turning back and balancing his soul to save the next generation, killing Palpatine wasn't the important factor there. Just the means.

Still thinking he did physically kill him though. It's just that, as we know, that's not necessarily the end for someone that potent in the ways of the Force.

Agreed. Him coming back from beyond the grave is more mystical than "welp, actually he survived" anyway.

And yes, he is the embodiment of pure evil in SW. There is no better villain to have in the final chapter. I can't imagine there's a single person going "but...Snoke!".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"