Unpopular Comic Book Opinions - Part 1

Am I the only one who thinks all the current Superman books are sub-par? Snyder's Superman Unchained is ok but the entire Superman group of books is pretty ordinary in the New 52. Compared to the awesome stuff coming out for Batman and Wonder Woman, Superman is really lagging behind.

I'm not a smoker at all, but I totally miss characters in Marvel being able to smoke. It gave Nick Fury, Jameson and Wolverine a bit of colour and diversity to things. I get why Quesada did it, but I just find it weird that absolutely no one can smoke even bg characters yet there's still a noticeable presence of alcohol and such. I've guess I've been looking at too many back issues or something.

Remember that moment when Spider-Man gave Jameson a box of cigars while Jonah is bed ridden in a hospital?
Stupid $#%^ is so funny

I'm not a smoker at all, but I totally miss characters in Marvel being able to smoke. It gave Nick Fury, Jameson and Wolverine a bit of colour and diversity to things. I get why Quesada did it, but I just find it weird that absolutely no one can smoke even bg characters yet there's still a noticeable presence of alcohol and such. I've guess I've been looking at too many back issues or something.

Don't forget the Thing. And Pete Wisdom always had a cigarette in his mouth. I don't smoke either, but damned if it didn't still make those characters look cooler.

Ah yea, the council of stogies haha; totally forgot ol' Benjy, Pete Wisdom, and Gambit smokes as well.

Barry Allen is the best Flash
Pre-Crisis version of him to be exact

I enjoyed Spider-Man's House of M story, but hate pretty much every crossover event Marvel has put out since Disassembled. Haven't read any of the cosmic ones though.

The only cross-overs I enjoyed are "Acts of Vengeance" and "Civil War"

Annihilation is the best event comic ever written.

I wish original collections/graphic novels like Joker by Azzarelo and Bermejo or the new Spider-Man one by Waid and Del'Otto was a bit more commonplace in the industry. It seems, in concept anyway, a great way to get more progressive stories out there with more bang for the buck than the typical single issue.

The first Nightwing costume isn't downright fugly

I wish Marvel would have letted their characters age properly, 60s Marvel had a sence of progression, it seems like after Marvel Time it's more difficult for writers to give their characters events that can remain integral in their history, after the 60s and when Marvel Time was started to be put into practice they just kept reusing the properties Stan Lee and Jack Kirby had created before.

I kinda wish both Marvel and DC characters grow out of their comics, age, and really leave behind room for a new generation

Considering how big DC was on superhero legacies (until the New 52, anyway), it'd really make sense for them to age their characters, write them out of their comics, and allow the next generation of heroes to take over.

As for Marvel, half of their most popular heroes were teenagers to begin with. They still have miles in them.

Considering how big DC was on superhero legacies (until the New 52, anyway), it'd really make sense for them to age their characters, write them out of their comics, and allow the next generation of heroes to take over.

As for Marvel, half of their most popular heroes were teenagers to begin with. They still have miles in them.

Geoff Johns would just swoop in and bring all the old heroes back from the dead.

How old are the DC characters post Flashpoint? Before that it felt like most of the first generation went near 50

X-Men will always be the best Marvel team.
Isn't that how they are in comics, and have been for decades?
I prefer the Fantastic Four

Most of todays comics (especially dc comics) = boring and depressing trash.

I'm glad I'm not a kid today. The stuff in todays comics would've scared me away from reading comics...

Barry Allen is the best Flash
Pre-Crisis version of him to be exact

I wholeheartedly agree!

It's so disheartening to look up anything about Barry Allen on the Internet these days and all you see is bashing. I completely understand the Wally West fans' frustration that DC booted him in favor of Barry and Bart - especially if they grew up reading him as the Flash.

But the thing is, they're just being so bitter about it and it pains me to have to read "Barry sucks" "Barry has no personality" "Best part of Barry is when he died" "blah blah etc." There is so much to love about the character, especially since he's pretty much been the blueprint for most of the Flashes that followed him.

This is particularly evident in the fact that elements of him have been woven into pretty much every media portrayal of any Flash - JLU Wally West had his backstory and civilian life, Smallville Bart also had some elements sprinkled in, the Barry from the 90s show had a bit of Wally inspiration but maintained Barry's backstory and so on. He's the core of the Flash mythos and a legend of the DCU!

How old are the DC characters post Flashpoint? Before that it felt like most of the first generation went near 50

Before Flashpoint, I think Superman, Batman, etc. were all in their 30's and 40's. Bruce Wayne was just about 40 before the reboot, and I know Green Arrow was in his 40's and in a much younger body.

Now, everyone is in their 20's.

I wholeheartedly agree!

It's so disheartening to look up anything about Barry Allen on the Internet these days and all you see is bashing. I completely understand the Wally West fans' frustration that DC booted him in favor of Barry and Bart - especially if they grew up reading him as the Flash.

But the thing is, they're just being so bitter about it and it pains me to have to read "Barry sucks" "Barry has no personality" "Best part of Barry is when he died" "blah blah etc." There is so much to love about the character, especially since he's pretty much been the blueprint for most of the Flashes that followed him.

This is particularly evident in the fact that elements of him have been woven into pretty much every media portrayal of any Flash - JLU Wally West had his backstory and civilian life, Smallville Bart also had some elements sprinkled in, the Barry from the 90s show had a bit of Wally inspiration but maintained Barry's backstory and so on. He's the core of the Flash mythos and a legend of the DCU!
Exactly
This post sums it all perfectly well

Before Flashpoint, I think Superman, Batman, etc. were all in their 30's and 40's. Bruce Wayne was just about 40 before the reboot, and I know Green Arrow was in his 40's and in a much younger body.

Now, everyone is in their 20's.
Not surprising some said in the Arkham Origins game thread the age in Batman comics is confusing
All his wards are grown ups even now

I really loved Adam Kuberts Superman arc (aside from several panels where he was clearly rushing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"