Daredevil Vincent D'Onofrio Cast as Kingpin!

Regardless, he's a guy with some martial arts and he still knocked the crap out of Fisk. This is also a universe where we've seen organizations like SHIELD or the military have special prisons to deal with superpowered criminals, while Fisk ended up in a normal jail with human prisoners. It's a pretty fair assessment that Fisk doesn't have superpowers.
Martial arts and superpowers.

His superpowers don't make him super strong or super fast or super invulnerable. He still ultimately took out Fisk with a bunch of punches and kicks and hitting him with metal batons. Nothing about that suggests Fisk had super strength and he really didn't go down much harder than any of the dozens of other human criminals Daredevil has defeated throughout the show.

And again, even if you do believe Daredevil has superhuman strength that'd allow him to overpower a superpowered Fisk, there is the detail I just mentioned of Fisk being sent to a normal human prison, not someplace like a superpowered holding facility like we know exist in the MCU. I'm sure if he had powers that would have come up at some point, even as a throwaway during the scenes in Season 2 where we see his life in jail.

MCU Fisk does not have super powers and if someone like Daredevil was able to beat him down, Spider-Man is completely out of his league physically.

Last edited:

As already stated, no superpowers that make him stronger than a normal person. He wasn't even as strong as Fisk.

So, original point stands. Spidey would easily wipe the floor with this Fisk in a physical fight. But, as I've said a few times now, that's fine. He doesn't need Fisk to be a physical threat to be a compelling villain.

As already stated, no superpowers that make him stronger than a normal person. He wasn't even as strong as Fisk.

So, original point stands. Spidey would easily wipe the floor with this Fisk in a physical fight. But, as I've said a few times now, that's fine. He doesn't need Fisk to be a physical threat to be a compelling villain.
When Fisk gets angry he gets stronger unbelievably stronger.

When Fisk gets angry he gets stronger unbelievably stronger.

No, that's the Hulk.

Fisk, in this incarnation, is still clearly only a very strong human. Very strong, he was benching around 500lbs in the prison scene.

But Spidey could move that with one hand pretty easily.

Fisk isn't superhuman. No other way to put it. Dude won't be a physical match for Spidey outside a mech suit or special drugs to give him super strength, which I personally don't want to see. He doesn't need to be a physical threat. Hell, some of the best villains aren't scary because of their physical power, and the scariest part about Kingpin has never been his physical prowess.

Does anyone hope that he'll wear white suit jackets in Season 3?

I think him wearing it a couple times as a shout out maybe. He doesn't seem to be all flashy yet.

1488212224Spiderman_kingpin.jpg

Though a lot of newer Marvel fans know Vincent D’Onofrio’s crime lord Kingpin through Netflix’s Daredevil, older comic readers do know that the powerful business-minded antagonist used to pose as Spider-Man’s foe in Marvel comics. The villain first debuted in Amazing Spider-Man #50 back in 1967, playing as one of Spider-Man’s major enemies for ten years in the comics until Frank Miller took over Marvel’s Daredevil comic series in the early 80’s.

Now, it seems like a few die-hard fans want Kingpin to return to his roots by going up against the studio’s newest Spider-Man. Taking to Twitter, a few fans have been discussing how great it would be if D’Onofrio’s Kingpin took on Marvel Studios’ witty, teen-age, big screen Spider-Man, Tom Holland. After one suggested a showdown between the two, this is how the Netflix star reacted:

Last year, the Hollywood star and producer also reacted to rumors about Kingpin and Spider-Man action in a similar manner, asking fans to suggest the showdown to Marvel.

Knowing that Kingpin was originally rooted in Spider-Man comic history, there’s a good chance that Marvel may consider the small screen to big screen crossover of D’Onofrio’s villain. Not only would it please die-hard fans, but it would also tie the growing Marvel television universe with the wide and well-founded MCU. Let’s wait and see what Marvel will do about the Kingpin and Spider-Man clamor.
Spider-Man: Homecoming premieres on the big screen on July 7, 2017.

source: http://epicstream.com/
logo.png

It would be so awesome to have him in a Spider Man flick. At least a shout out. It would appease many of the whiney fanboys who want tv characters going to film. I wonder if the Feige/Perlmutter relationship would hinder this though.

I wouldn't mind it. He is one of those villains Spidey can't beat by just webbing up or punching.

He's been saying this for awhile now, and I think it was shot down at one point. Probably still not going to happen.

I wouldn't mind it. He is one of those villains Spidey can't beat by just webbing up or punching.

Problem is, you could just write that as "Can't beat" and be basically accurate. Spider-man as he exists has practically no relevant skill or experience to do anything against Fisk, and it rather stretches credibility that they'd even especially cross paths. The stuff Peter does shouldn't even really *matter* to Fisk in any way, and 95% of his criminal activities are stuff Peter wouldn't even notice.

It would be so awesome to have him in a Spider Man flick. At least a shout out. It would appease many of the whiney fanboys who want tv characters going to film. I wonder if the Feige/Perlmutter relationship would hinder this though.

I highly doubt their relationship would kill any crossover. Even if Perlmutter was to be vindictive enough to try and torpedo an actor's inclusion to a product, Fiege doesn't answer to him if he wants Vincent all he has to do is clear it with Disney, make a deal with Vincent, probably call up Jeph Loeb to talk creative direction and make sure scheduling works, and that's that. Now really the only response Perlmutter has is to order Leob to not bring Vincent back ever on TV. Which I really can't see him doing as it would accomplish nothing. Above else Perlmutter care's about is money, if crossing over the tv and films brings in a boost to the TV side of things I don't think he'd reject it.

I highly doubt their relationship would kill any crossover. Even if Perlmutter was to be vindictive enough to try and torpedo an actor's inclusion to a product, Fiege doesn't answer to him if he wants Vincent all he has to do is clear it with Disney, make a deal with Vincent, probably call up Jeph Loeb to talk creative direction and make sure scheduling works, and that's that. Now really the only response Perlmutter has is to order Leob to not bring Vincent back ever on TV. Which I really can't see him doing as it would accomplish nothing. Above else Perlmutter care's about is money, if crossing over the tv and films brings in a boost to the TV side of things I don't think he'd reject it.
it really shouldn't be that big an issue they had both sam Jackson show on agents of shield and Colby smolders as Maria Hill. why this has to be problem makes no sense. they own those franchise they can do what ever they want. The only truly blocking them is them selves being difficult alone , when they should be open minded & flexible. This can only benefit them since the actors are willing to do it. And if they are willing to do so then money won't be problem ether.

it really shouldn't be that big an issue they had both sam Jackson show on agents of shield and Colby smolders as Maria Hill. why this has to be problem makes no sense. they own those franchise they can do what ever they want. The only truly blocking them is them selves being difficult alone , when they should be open minded & flexible. This can only benefit them since the actors are willing to do it. And if they are willing to do so then money won't be problem ether.

I believe the main reason they don't is because they just don't want to. They'd probably rather have new and different characters in Spider-man than have to reintroduce an existing character for everyone who don't have netflix. Plus you also have to consider netflix, I doubt they want any of their characters to be a main character in a film. They are paying for the shows so that people will subscribe to them. By having the characters have major screen time it could hurt the exclusivity factor they want.

Problem is, you could just write that as "Can't beat" and be basically accurate. Spider-man as he exists has practically no relevant skill or experience to do anything against Fisk, and it rather stretches credibility that they'd even especially cross paths. The stuff Peter does shouldn't even really *matter* to Fisk in any way, and 95% of his criminal activities are stuff Peter wouldn't even notice.

Nah, it's relatively easy to have them cross paths. Spidey keeps stopping low level crooks that are part of Fisk's empire. Fisk gets tired of it, sends more powerful goons after Spidey, Spidey traces them back to Kingpin.

Wouldn't be hard at all..

He's been saying this for awhile now, and I think it was shot down at one point. Probably still not going to happen.

Yeah. Charlie Cox also wanted to be in Civil War.

This is something where Iger would need to step in. Surprised he hasn't. Not so much for D'Onofrio showing up in Spider-Man although it would be awesome, but allowing the Defenders to make an appearance in IW.

Bob Iger is smart enough to not meddle with Feige. Certainly, he'll be monitoring what's going on and make suggestions (and, if he has specific concerns that something will be too big of a financial risk will probably steer them away from it), but he's not going to impose creative mandates a la Avi Arad requiring Venom in Spider-Man 3. Both Iger and Feige are aware of fan demand for tv-side crossover, but probably also knows the demand doesn't come from the majority of viewers. I would hope they seriously think about this issue rather than pay lip-service to it, but I'm not going to ask more than that.

I'll also stick with the view of "if not this film, then maybe the next one."

Bob Iger is smart enough to not meddle with Feige. Certainly, he'll be monitoring what's going on and make suggestions (and, if he has specific concerns that something will be too big of a financial risk will probably steer them away from it), but he's not going to impose creative mandates a la Avi Arad requiring Venom in Spider-Man 3. Both Iger and Feige are aware of fan demand for tv-side crossover, but probably also knows the demand doesn't come from the majority of viewers. I would hope they seriously think about this issue rather than pay lip-service to it, but I'm not going to ask more than that.

I'll also stick with the view of "if not this film, then maybe the next one."

100% agree. My basic point was if these crossovers weren't happening simply because of internal/personal squabbles between Feige and Ike and not about creative vision, then perhaps Iger should step in for the good of the films. I think most would assume that IKE is the problem here.

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of factors, none of which are necessarily personality conflicts.

One, I think we should take Feige at his word that crossovers are logistically difficult. Movies have much longer production cycles while TV writes things much closer to the time they're released. They're also nearly constantly filming relative to a movie.

Second, I think Feige is interested in connecting the things he's working on. I also think he's busy so he's not necessarily actively following the TV stuff. He's just not someone who will watch an episode of Agents of SHIELD and go "that's so cool, I need to put that in the next movie."

My suspicion is a crossover will occur if any of the directors or writers are fans of the TV side and ask to fit something in. Then they'd make it work.

Problem being, as others have already pointed out, Spider-man would easily overpower Fisk in a fight. Fisk is just a very, very strong man. Spidey is superhuman. A backhand from Spidey would put Fisk on his ass.

I'm old enough to remember when that wasn't true. I remember Fisk giving him a real fight in more than one comic. At one point crushing Peter's arm to the point it lost all feeling. That's the Spidey i grew up with where Fisk was a physical threat. I honestly liked him better.

Ok old guy rant done. Spider-Man has moved on from normal street level villains good or bad

I'm old enough to remember when that wasn't true. I remember Fisk giving him a real fight in more than one comic. At one point crushing Peter's arm to the point it lost all feeling. That's the Spidey i grew up with where Fisk was a physical threat. I honestly liked him better.

Ok old guy rant done. Spider-Man has moved on from normal street level villains good or bad

So am I. But we're talking about the TV show interpretation, not the comics. The DD version of Fisk would easily get overpowered by Spider-man. No if ands or buts about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"