WandaVision WandaVision: Season 1, Episode 3 "Now in Color" (spoilers)

But still, if Wanda has simply (re)created him, why not also (re)create her brother?

Of this little reality is her version of paradise, an escape from the trauma, then not only would she want a husband and kids, but surely also a brother?

Vision is the biggest obstacle in this, as I and others (I suspect) have stated, Paul Bettany hasn't any other upcoming roles in the MCU as far as I'm aware. Lizzie obviously has.

Bettany doesn't have any known upcoming roles. If they were advertised then it would be a spoiler of sorts. I'm not saying he does have but Feige wouldn't say if he did because of the nature of the show.

This ep definitely picked up steam regarding what's possibly happening. When I saw the SWORD necklace I was like, here we go.

Regarding SWORD...

If I'm right, then they're the CIA to the FBI in that the FBI deal with internal American threats, and the CIA deal with external threats, so SHIELD deals with threats of an internal nature, and SWORD deals with extra terrestrial threats.

The hell were SWORD when Thanos showed up with his army? Or Yondu showed up and kidnapped Quill? Or Loki/Thor when they appeared from outer space?

Regarding SWORD...

If I'm right, then they're the CIA to the FBI in that the FBI deal with internal American threats, and the CIA deal with external threats, so SHIELD deals with threats of an internal nature, and SWORD deals with extra terrestrial threats.

The hell were SWORD when Thanos showed up with his army? Or Yondu showed up and kidnapped Quill? Or Loki/Thor when they appeared from outer space?

This may well get answered in the coming episodes, but I think the most likely explanation is that SWORD simply didn't exist yet during these earlier events and that it is a recently-established organisation (as in, post-Endgame). This would explain why it was SHIELD - and not SWORD - who were given the job of investigating the hammer that had fallen out of the sky in New Mexico, and also why they were leading the effort against Loki (even though they most definitely knew that he was an alien). Not to mention why SHIELD was sent to investigate Carol's fall from space in the 1990s.

It's probable that in the aftermath of the Blip and Thanos' invasion of Earth, Fury decided that a new, extraordinary intelligence agency was needed to combat superhuman threats, most likely involving cooperation with the Skrulls (which is why he's on their ship at the end of FFH). But since the SHIELD name had been tainted by it's infiltration by Hydra, Fury decided that it would need a new name.

This is also supported by the fact that we know that two of the people who are now working for SWORD (Jimmy Woo and Darcy) were up until recently doing other jobs - Jimmy was in the FBI and Darcy was interning with Jane Foster.

So basically, I think the MCU version of SWORD is the successor to SHIELD, rather than a twin organisation.

Makes perfect sense. I suppose (as far as they mostly knew) there was no need for an external protection agency until recently, and so SWORD would've only been put in place after said events.

I struggle to think that SHIELD is gone though. Surely that still exists in some form or other?

Edit: Isn't the head of SWORD (per the comics) an alien or mutant anyway?

It didn't even occur to me but superspeed wasn't Vision's power, yet it is in this...

Isn't it? By that I mean. . . we only had a very limited amount of Vision appearances prior to this show, and sure, he didn't explicitly demonstrate unambiguous superspeed. However, he definitely *did* have several scenes where he acted thematically *like* Superman, including a literal Superman-rescues-Lois style scene in AoU with Wanda. So, is it possible the android superman with a computer brain had some degree of superspeed and it just never explicitly came up? Absolutely.

Basically, I wouldn't take the presence of some superspeed feats in WandaVision as an especially meaningful clue to anything.

Makes perfect sense. I suppose (as far as they mostly knew) there was no need for an external protection agency until recently, and so SWORD would've only been put in place after said events.

I struggle to think that SHIELD is gone though. Surely that still exists in some form or other?

Edit: Isn't the head of SWORD (per the comics) an alien or mutant anyway?

Why would SHIELD still exist, when it disbanded nearly 10 years and umpteen movies ago following Winter Soldier, save perhaps for the odd rump remnant?

Why would SHIELD still exist, when it disbanded nearly 10 years and umpteen movies ago following Winter Soldier, save perhaps for the odd rump remnant?
Because SHIELD is a big part of the MCU. That's all the reason we'd need really.

In the comics SHIELD and SWORD coexist. In the MCU, they could further coexist. If there are remnants still in place, then there's room for its rebuilding and restructuring.

Isn't it? By that I mean. . . we only had a very limited amount of Vision appearances prior to this show, and sure, he didn't explicitly demonstrate unambiguous superspeed. However, he definitely *did* have several scenes where he acted thematically *like* Superman, including a literal Superman-rescues-Lois style scene in AoU with Wanda. So, is it possible the android superman with a computer brain had some degree of superspeed and it just never explicitly came up? Absolutely.

Basically, I wouldn't take the presence of some superspeed feats in WandaVision as an especially meaningful clue to anything.

I dunno. I still think it's odd that Viz appears to have added the power set of Wanda's dead brother while in her sitcom bubble.

Admittedly, Marvel Studios hasn't been particularly consistent with the abilities of these two - Wanda put her mind manipulation powers on the back burner after AOU and lighter than air Vision should not be able to fly whilst carrying a young Sokovian lass. But superspeed would definitely have come in handy in avoiding a alien stabbing. Though to be fair, superspeed didn't prevent Pietro getting shot by Ultron piloting a Quinjet (Ugggh!).

Its just odd to see Vision leaving after images after not doing so in his prior appearances, and there being no compelling story reason for him moving so quickly. I think something's up.

Because SHIELD is a big part of the MCU. That's all the reason we'd need really.

In the comics SHIELD and SWORD coexist. In the MCU, they could further coexist. If there are remnants still in place, then there's room for its rebuilding and restructuring.

In the MCU it appears as though SWORD is a SHIELD replacement. With MCU SWORD focusing on Weapons rather than World concerns, having both would appear to be redundant. And there's no place for unnecessary government bureaucracy after the Blip!

Regarding Vision

Theres a clip I've seen, unsure whether it's a promo for the next episode or a clip from the trailer, but during said clip there's a scene where Vision flies upwards and sees what's going on around him.

Would that be possible if he wasn't real?

Isn't it? By that I mean. . . we only had a very limited amount of Vision appearances prior to this show, and sure, he didn't explicitly demonstrate unambiguous superspeed.

Sure, but there were also plenty of moments when superspeed would have come in handy. Like, in Civil War, when Steve and Bucky were running to the jet, he could have just zoomed straight over instantly and blocked their path. Or he could have used it to blitz Corvus Glaive.

However, he definitely *did* have several scenes where he acted thematically *like* Superman, including a literal Superman-rescues-Lois style scene in AoU with Wanda.

True, although you could argue Thor has acted thematically like Superman as well at points, like when he rescued that woman from her car in AoU, or arriving out of nowhere to save the whole team in IW. And Carol certainly behaved in a very Clark-ish fashion when she obliterated Thanos's ship.

Doesn't mean Thor or Carol are speedsters though.

The powerful women go crazy type of thing has been done to death. Marvel has two huge exemples of that in Wanda and Jean.

I'm glad it's a woman writing this. I trust they will find a respectful way to tell this story with Wanda.

Yeah, agree with you there 100 percent.

By the way, how do you post messages with spoilers in them?
In the reply box, you should see a button that looks like a "+" inside a square. That's the "Insert" button. One of the options there to insert is "Spoiler." Or you can just put it in tags that look like this: [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] (remove the spaces)

Regarding SWORD...

SWORD didn't exist yet, is what my assumption is. I'm drawing a blank, but I thought I remembered Fury or someone else mentioning monitoring extra terrestrial threats after Thanos. Or, I'm just assuming something along those lines.

I might be wrong now that I think about it, but it was a theory as to why the Fantastic 4 would make even more sense now. They can explore and monitor threats as well as SWORD.

I might be wrong now that I think about it, but it was a theory as to why the Fantastic 4 would make even more sense now. They can explore and monitor threats as well as SWORD.
But that isn't going to explain where Reed, Sue and co have been until their appearance.

I assumed for the MCU, SWORD was formed because of what happened after the snap. Maybe SHIELD has completely morphed into them, maybe not. I'm still not expecting mutants to be brought in any time soon tbh.

I assumed for the MCU, SWORD was formed because of what happened after the snap. Maybe SHIELD has completely morphed into them, maybe not. I'm still not expecting mutants to be brought in any time soon tbh.
What even is the MCU status of SHIELD at the time of the snap? Because after Whedon BS'd them back into AOU as his dumb deus-ex-machina, I don't think they've really been mentioned at all? But you're right that the remaining infrastructure was likely repurposed when SWORD was formed.
Except she redoes the moments when Vision starts to question the reality. What's the point of giving him free will if she changes what he says and essentially erases his choices? That doesn't make sense.

I think he's real, but something is keeping Wanda in this alternate reality and she's scared to face the real world.
She created him with free will, but he keeps making the wrong choice. She can both want him to have autonomy and also prevent him from learning the truth about what's going on.

What even is the MCU status of SHIELD at the time of the snap? Because after Whedon BS'd them back into AOU as his dumb deus-ex-machina, I don't think they've really been mentioned at all? But you're right that the remaining infrastructure was likely repurposed when SWORD was formed.

She created him with free will, but he keeps making the wrong choice. She can both want him to have autonomy and also prevent him from learning the truth about what's going on.

Eh I don't see it. I don't think this reality was created by her anyways if the radio in the second episode was any indication ("who is doing this to you?"). Whoever did create it wouldn't have created a Vision that questioned the reality and threatened it's existence. So I think Vision is real and is being manipulated along with Wanda, except Wanda is keeping the reality alive and Vision is unfortunately along for the ride.

Obviously this could be wrong but it's the way I see it currently.

Eh I don't see it. I don't think this reality was created by her anyways if the radio in the second episode was any indication ("who is doing this to you?"). Whoever did create it wouldn't have created a Vision that questioned the reality and threatened it's existence. So I think Vision is real and is being manipulated along with Wanda, except Wanda is keeping the reality alive and Vision is unfortunately along for the ride.

Obviously this could be wrong but it's the way I see it currently.

I think there is a possiblity that Vision is conjured in some way by Wanda.

If so... Then Vis is perhaps acting as a part of her subconcious. The part that is for whatever reason, fighting against this fantasy?

Of course, if Vis was being "rebooted" or what have you given the MCU origin then we are possibly playing around with something that has a connection to the Mind Stone in some way. Say, Vis is being repaired and something goes wrong. Wanda is called in or was already there given their relationship and somehow both are caught in this illusion. It could go a lot of ways.

I dunno. I still think it's odd that Viz appears to have added the power set of Wanda's dead brother while in her sitcom bubble.

Admittedly, Marvel Studios hasn't been particularly consistent with the abilities of these two - Wanda put her mind manipulation powers on the back burner after AOU and lighter than air Vision should not be able to fly whilst carrying a young Sokovian lass. But superspeed would definitely have come in handy in avoiding a alien stabbing. Though to be fair, superspeed didn't prevent Pietro getting shot by Ultron piloting a Quinjet (Ugggh!).

Its just odd to see Vision leaving after images after not doing so in his prior appearances, and there being no compelling story reason for him moving so quickly. I think something's up.

Wanda declining to use her mental powers when her main prior association with them is "Taking other heroes and screwing them over" is hardly the biggest leap. As for Vision, where are you getting the idea that "lighter than air" would be an issue? Remember: movie, not comic. Something being the case in the comic does *not* automatically make it the case in the movies. At no point did the movie go "Vision has to turn intangible and barely-present to fly, ergo he can't lift stuff". Instead the movies invoked other images and allusions, including Superman.

( As for avoiding getting stabbed, honestly, it wouldn't have mattered much, the Corvus Glaive stabiness was always from surprise. You can't dodge an attack you don't know is coming. Beyond that, speedsters pretty much always forget to use their powers fully, its dumb but its a known thing. At least Vision is only implied to be a fairly minor speedster here. )

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsUvTKAXUAAzVNv?format=jpg&name=medium

EsUvTKAXUAAzVNv

I think about the ad during the episode 3. We all know each commercial symbolize wanda's traumas, right ? And what if the one from episode 3 imply hydra had implanted false memories into wanda and pietro brains, like parents death by stark weapons for example. It would be a good way to establish the blood relations between magneto and wanda for the future. What do you think, guys ?

In the reply box, you should see a button that looks like a "+" inside a square. That's the "Insert" button. One of the options there to insert is "Spoiler." Or you can just put it in tags that look like this: [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] (remove the spaces)

Thanks so much!

Wanda declining to use her mental powers when her main prior association with them is "Taking other heroes and screwing them over" is hardly the biggest leap. As for Vision, where are you getting the idea that "lighter than air" would be an issue? Remember: movie, not comic. Something being the case in the comic does *not* automatically make it the case in the movies. At no point did the movie go "Vision has to turn intangible and barely-present to fly, ergo he can't lift stuff". Instead the movies invoked other images and allusions, including Superman.

I agree with the point about Wanda. Good girls don't mess with people's minds. But while I can't find the quote, but I kinda remember CA:CW writers Markus & McFeely being critical of Vision being depicted as a flyer and not a floater in AOU (though he can glide on wind currents). I though his power set in CA:CW was handled correctly. He floats, can go intangible and can pack a punch by increasing his mass. But he can't carry a payload while flying.

In any case, Vision is moving so fast in WandaVision that he leaves after images. That's not something he does in the comics or in the movies. But her brother, as well as other speedsters, do. I don't see any reason to grant him this ability unless something is up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"