Batman Begins Was anyone disappointed about the lack of the detective aspect?

That's it. Then I have seen the detective aspect in B89, BR and BB.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Well, yeah....Genius Level. But, he doesn't automatically get there. Look at BATMAN YEAR ONE, for example. He is sooooo far from being the legendary grizzled veteran there.

How did Ra's outwit him?

By lying to him about his identity? That's kinda a bull**** outwit I think, seeing as how it's just lying.....and not actually outwitting.

Bruce probably would have figured it all out, that's why Ra's sped up his plans. Remember, his line at the Mansion "Your antics at the Asylum forced my hand".....which, to me, means he had to speed up his plans because of Batman, he was starting to get close and had essentially ****ed his plans up in a way.

He told. She didn't figure anything out.

Lots of cursing. Wash that mouth out with soap mr. bias. :hyper:

Don't lie to me. you know Batman just dropped a hint and my woman had to figure it out herself. She's a true gumshoe if I ever saw one.

Batman if I recall correctly (I haven't seen the movie in a long time. forgive me if this is incorrect) didn't really figure out the fear flowers he sniffed up in ra's place had much of a link to the fear powder he sniffed up in scarecrow's place so ok, you say he would have figured it out eventually. That would have been sweet.

chosen1 said:
That the only thing Keaton has on Bale. He was a better bruce wayne.

The scene in batman returns when he is doing research on the red triangle gang and is starting to suspect fowl play w/ penguin was a masterpiece.

Yes that's the batman I love to see, always using that head of his as much as those muscles.

But if Batman could solve anything without a second's thought, there wouldn't be much point of all these supervillains, would there?

They're not meant to be easy, they are there to challenge Batman. It's better to see an opponent outwit the hero a few times. Makes a change.

Your....kidding......right?

Bale pwns Keaton as Wayne. The reason Keaton and Bale debate exists is b/c Keaton was soooo cool as Batman. But, I think most people would agree.....Keaton's Wayne was too much like Clark Kent.....not enough Bruce Wayne.
The scene in batman returns when he is doing research on the red triangle gang and is starting to suspect fowl play w/ penguin was a masterpiece.

I dunno. Just looked like a retro-background check to me.

I actually think the scene where he hands a file full of solutions and answers about Joker's toxins over to Vickie is better. Although we didn't see him do the work, it's suggested that he did.

That's it. Then I have seen the detective aspect in B89, BR and BB.

Yeah, it's there.

Btw.....I'd like to add, BR did show us the mechanic aspect of Batman. That's something I've probably never seen before. Him in a mechanic's outfit and all.

Lots of cursing. Wash that mouth out with soap mr. bias. :hyper:

Don't lie to me. you know Batman just dropped a hint and my woman had to figure it out herself. She's a true gumshoe if I ever saw one.

Dude.....if she had to "figure" it out....then she'd be mildly ******ed.

She had a "mini" argument with her ex-boyfriend, and told him "it's who he is underneath" that counts.

This masked man, who just saved her life, looks her in the eyes and says the same thing that she told her ex-beau.

That's like 3rd grade math. So ****ing easy. Batman told her he was Batman. Her figuring it out would have been her piecing things together, and putting more than just 2 and 2 together.

Btw, Batman usually does it that way in the comics. Most of the chicks that know....he's told them.

Batman if I recall correctly (I haven't seen the movie in a long time. forgive me if this is incorrect) didn't really figure out the fear flowers he sniffed up in ra's place had much of a link to the fear powder he sniffed up in scarecrow's place so ok, you say he would have figured it out eventually. That would have been sweet.

He did, actually.

After he woke up from being knocked out for a few days.....the first thing he talks to Alfred about is "I've felt these effects before, only this was so much more potent....."

So, yeah. He knew there was there was a connection. He'd felt the effects before.

But if Batman could solve anything without a second's thought, there wouldn't be much point of all these supervillains, would there?

They're not meant to be easy, they are there to challenge Batman. It's better to see an opponent outwit the hero a few times. Makes a change.

That's been one of the problems plaguing the Batman books for a good while.

He's so good, it's kinda impossible to give him an actual challenge. And, if we're to believe he's so good.....how come he can't find a way to keep most of these bastards behind a good set of bars for longer than a week?

It's just part of it all, I guess. But.....well, Bat-god does have a special place in my heart.

I just prefer to see him stumble and then rise again better than before.....kinda like how he was hit with the toxin and we saw him in a weak place.....that's something we don't see enough of. His humanity is part of the reason why we all love the character, but for alot of places.....he's kinda lost that.

^^^That's kind of the same reason Kryptonite was invented. When the hero is so strong, there is no danger to him, the stories become predictable and boring. I like the uber-competent Batman, but every once in a while he has to fail, at least partially, or else he will be a most boring character.

Well, that's where ultimately...his humanity comes into play. Ya know, he can get shot, he can die, he can **** up.......dude isn't superhuman.

I do think that making him into the Bat-God....well, story-wise.....it can be a problem.

I completely understand why he isn't portrayed as a genius off the bat. After all it is Batman BEGINS. I just really hope that they continue to develop this aspect of Batman's character. It's his keen and penetrating mind that I find the most interesting about him. TAS and his role in CN's JL(/U) was even more interesting because of that. There's nothing like solving a good mystery and seeing it unravel and watching Bats figure it out complements the story.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
And if anything, B89 did get the Scientist aspect in there.....whereas Batman Begins didn't.
"Some kind of hallucinogen, weaponized in aerosol form."

It had a tiny bit of it. :)

Batman tossed some pictures on the floor. Good enough for me.

I'd say the "lack of scientist aspect" holds alot more water than the "Detective" aspect thing. I mean......he does detective work in the film.

I would have liked the scientist aspect....but, Bruce does seem to be a smart dude. They could sqeeze that in next time.

chosen1 said:

Um...no. (Do I really have to give my reasons? :huh:)

chosen1 said:

You mean like that 2 min "detective" scene where he complains about the cold food? :whatever:

Oh big babies. Now I think about it there was the detective aspect in every movie from the old series AND Begins, included BF and B&R, it is just they're not Sherlock Holmes movies. Two minutes can be enough. And the scientist aspect is very much there too.

Beelze said:
"Some kind of hallucinogen, weaponized in aerosol form."

It had a tiny bit of [the scientist aspect of the character]. :)
Oh, and I forgot, he does work on his equipment. He did construct the glider "skeleton" seemingly on his own (and got it to work very well, as we see later on), and he did some minor work on the other gadets (plus, we never see the origin of the Bat-caller, so that's something to speculate about). But, like the detective aspect, the scientist aspect wasn't prominently showcased.

No, I wasn't disappointed. But if he gets to use a disguise in TDK, then I will probably have some kind of geek-convulsion.

Meh.....I'm not too interested in the disguises.

Although....really....if he had worn a fake mustache while standing outside of Falcone's club.....it might have been enough....

Cosmic said:
No, I wasn't disappointed. But if he gets to use a disguise in TDK, then I will probably have some kind of geek-convulsion.
He was dressed as a bum twice in BR.

Re: Was anyone disappointed about the lack of the detective aspect?

"We mus'nt judge to harshly it was his first time.....
.... and thats what our boy is doing. He is refining his methods he is evloving... " -- Hannibal Lecter

They can't do everything in one film. I wasn't really looking for it, so I guess there was enough of it there for the storyline.

-TNC

There were detective aspcts in Batman Begins.

And, for the record.....yeah.....looking at it now, there were some detective stuff in B89 and BR. I don't think it's as much as BB......but stuff like picking up Napier's criminal record, and learning things about how he's a socialpathic genius through his psyche evaluation counts for something. Same as him looking for background information on Penguin too. I think they could have taken things further a bit, but those things count as detective work to some degree.

At the end of the day Keaton in B89 to seems to me to have nailed the feirce intelligence of the Bruce Wayne character you can just see it in his actions and his eyes i agree you dont have to smother the films indetective work but B89 portrayed it better in a more even way (cracking the Jokers Chemical code etc).

I dunno......I mean, with begins we get to see him build himself up, with Keaton things simply were. We didn't even get to see him crack the code, but......we know he did, so doesn't matter I guess.

In the end though, Keaton's Batman is far from a rookie. His Batman is already established and is the myth of Gotham City already by the beginning. So, it's a good thing that his Batman is so capable. It's a must, actually.

Bale's Batman is not there. Not yet atleast. Far from it, really. I know alot of people see Batman Begins as Year One......but, it's more like 2 Months or something. Keaton's Batman felt like he'd been around a good 3 or 4 years atleast.

^ QFT

He's still refining his skills...give him time. :cmad:

Since it was an Origin movie I wasn't that dissapointed with the lack of detective work, but I'm hoping for much more in the next movie. All my favorite Batman comics are really mystery stories (TLH being my #1 fav) so I'm definatley hoping to see Batman trying to solve some crimes TLH style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"