• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Was Sandman even a big character in the comics or animated show?

Batman333

Civilian
Reaction score
Cuz I was looking at most Spider-Man comics the other day and noticed there really arent that many Sandman as the main villain vs. Spider-Man....

In fact, the issues that I finally found of Sandman, it was always Spider-Man vs. the Sinister Six and Sandman wasnt even the main guy.

I guess in the 60's comics he was big. I wonder what happened?

I know he wasn't in the 90's cartoon due to legal reasons or something. Cheers!!!

He wasn't even that big in the 60's. Mysterio and the Vulture were bigger and greater threats to Spidey than he was.

Sandman's only infamous moment is when he joined the Sinister Six. He's a C-list villain at best. He turned good for years and fought with the Avengers and Silver Sable.

I'm guessing Sam picked him for the visuals of his powers, and that he's a break from the scientist villains.

Nah, he wasn't that big of a villain ever. However, his first appearance was in Amazing Spider-man #4...so it isn't like he is a completely random villain.

On a side note, I just saw this on the Marvel page about him. Knowing these boards I'm sure someone has already posted this. I'm sorry in advance. Either way, I thought it was interesting...it probably has to do with a recent comic arc but it is a good way to get rid of Sandman without adding in Hydroman...

Recently, he was poisoned by a bite from Venom, and as a result, Baker began to lose bits of himself until he eventually dissipated. Delirious from his condition, he sought out Spider-Man to exact his final vengeance. In his weakened state he was unable to defeat the wall-crawler. With his last bit of strength, he made peace with Spider-Man and asked that he say goodbye to his mother for him. The despondent Sandman then lost cohesion and was washed away into a New York City storm drain.

Link: http://marvel.com/universe/Sandman_%28William_Baker%29

Doc Ock said:
I'm guessing Sam picked him for the visuals of his powers, and that he's a break from the scientist villains.
Yes, that was getting a bit tiresome. Sandman's visuals are gonna be SICK!:word:

The movies don't work on the same A-List, B-List, C-List of villians of the comics (thank God!), that you geeks like to write home about. If they did, The Lizard would be in SM3 instead, even instead of Venom.:dry:

there only useing sandman in this movie to tie him into uncle bems death, it couses more drama and with more drama more action scenes!!!

Kmack said:
Yes, that was getting a bit tiresome. Sandman's visuals are gonna be SICK!:word:

Ironically enough , I think the Lizards story has basically been done with Doc Ock in 2 , and Sandman in 3. The scientist Peter admires with a heart was Doc Ock while the whole family aspect with the wife and child is being done with Sandman .

paulyfknt90 said:
there only useing sandman in this movie to tie him into uncle bems death, it couses more drama and with more drama more action scenes!!!
how is that a reason for using sandman, they could of just a easily connected a number of other villains, to bens death.
but i agree that this whole bens killer thing is just more drama, to establish a connection between sandman and spidey

Sandman is a visually amazing villain, but since all are in the comics it doesn't mean much. As a character he is a boring second-stringer. In the movie by basically ripping off Lizard's main subplot (and the other for Doc Ock in SM2) and putting him in Spidey's origin they are trying to make him a more interesting character than he ever was in the comics though.

I like it when people ask stupid questions to begin a thread. There is a Sandman thread, as well as a Search function, on this site. Act like you've used the Internet before.

Please.

paulyfknt90 said:

I guess grammar isn't covered in high school these days. I suggest outside assistance before you begin filling out those college applications.

He's not the biggest character, but he's Sam and Tobey's favourite villain. Probably why he's in the movie.

I think Sandman's one of the classic villians. I think it's his character that takes him down a notch or two in some people's eyes (including writers). Maybe it's because his back story is that he's more or less a thug that people seem to underestimate him.

He could easily have went the way of the Rhino who is also underused because people just don't consider them worthy. Not every villain should be an evil genius.

On a side note, I hope they don't use the storyline about Venom poisoning Sandman with his bite. I'd hate to see another Spidey film where the bad guy apparently dies.

deathshead2 said:
He better be sucked into a durt devil.
im not sure but i think he might get killed by getting a bite from venom not sure though. sandman is awesome he looks awesome in cgi.:venom:

Sandman did not appear on the 90's animated show because at the time he was set to appear along side electro in the cameron flick.However when it fell through electro did make one appearance but still no sandman. The only major villain not to appear.

he was never one of the mega villains, but he was picked because he is sams favorite villain and is going to be visually amazing.

Yurka said:
he was never one of the mega villains, but he was picked because he is sams favorite villain and is going to be visually amazing.
same here.:venom:

Personally,he was never a favorite of mine. I would've much rather seen the Lizard in Spidey 3,but Sandman does look cool from what I've seen.:up:

deathshead2 said:
He better be sucked into a durt devil.

Dirt Devils didn't exist in the 60s ( or did they?) but sucking Sandy into a vacuum cleaner was acutally how Spidey caught him in Spidey #4.

I would really love to see that happen.

Wesyeed said:
I would really love to see that happen.

I want to see Sandy solidify himself so he almost breaks Spidey's hand when punched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"