• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Was Sandman even a big character in the comics or animated show?

Dragon said:
Peter didn't use his powers for "petty revenge". He tracked down a murderer to bring him to justice. In neither the comics or film did he intend to kill the burglar. But even if he had, he'd have had a much better reasion than Eddie.

And Eddie has nothing to seek revenge for. Spider-Man didn't do anything wrong. Eddie did. He deserved to be fired.

If they had made Spidey actually make some sort of mistake that damaged Eddie's life, then that would be a good idea. Then Spidey would actually be guilty of creating Venom. But such as things are, I maintain his motivation is weak.

I'm not the biggest Venom fan, so I can't really get in depth in defending him.

But I will say that his real motivation is: he's insane. The "got fired and blames Spider-Man even though its his own fault" thing is SUPPOSED to sound weak and petty, in order to illustrate how insane he is.

bbf2 said:

But I will say that his real motivation is: he's insane. The "got fired and blames Spider-Man even though its his own fault" thing is SUPPOSED to sound weak and petty, in order to illustrate how insane he is.
He's one of those people who needs a scapegoat to blame all his problems on so he won't feel its his fault. In reality this is a pretty average psycological disorder, but I forget its proper name. Only difference is in reality noone ever recieved superpowers to wreak havok on there scapegoat.

bbf2 said:

I know he's insane. And the thing that broke him, made him insane is simply ridiculous. Not only is he a cliche'- but he's not even a good cliche'.

Dragon said:
Peter didn't use his powers for "petty revenge". He tracked down a murderer to bring him to justice. In neither the comics or film did he intend to kill the burglar. But even if he had, he'd have had a much better reasion than Eddie.

I wasn't referring to that. I'm referring to the movie here, but I was thinking more of the "I forget the part where that's my problem" Peter. Uncle Ben's murder was a result of that, but by the time he was after the murderer he had learnt his lesson. It's before that happened Peter was arrogant and was only thinking of himself.

Perhaps if Venom had an uncle who died after similar circumstances then things could have been different for him too (well, if the symbiote also didn't drive him crazy, of course).

Sandman wasn't that big in the comics, but I think it's a good idea to use lesser known villians because it makes them more popular and gives them a better story.

Doc Ock said:
Yes he was. And I'll gladly prove it to you if you wish. One of the most major Spidey/Ock stories occurred in the 90's.

Yeah, KINDA. Not completely.

And Venom extinguished the torch with a myriad of crappy stories.

Terribly written villain.

I've been a Spider-Man fan for 14 years, and this is the first I've heard of this.

Sour grapes from a Venom fan me thinks ;)

He's not the most popular Spider-Man villain.

And IF he was, I would piss myself laughing. As Dragon said above, what has he got going for him?? Weak motivations, weak stories, the only thing that is remotely good about him is his appearance.

Kids seem to dig slobbery tongued monsters with brain eating fetishes.

Venom is like a nicely wrapped present, but open it up and there's nothing but an empty box inside. No substance.

If hes not so popular there must be alot of Venom posers on this board because, when the Venom teaser pic came out all the fanboys here had there pantys in a bunch and i bet you were one of them. If he's such a bad Character why was everyone so hyped???

Dragon said:
I know he's insane. And the thing that broke him, made him insane is simply ridiculous. Not only is he a cliche'- but he's not even a good cliche'.

"Simply ridiculous" How so? he lost his job his wife and his father's love....that could make anyone go insane with revenge.

Venom4SM4 said:
"Simply ridiculous" How so? he lost his job his wife and his father's love....that could make anyone go insane with revenge.

It happens EVERYDAY. Many times a day. And people don't go postal over it. And again, when you think about the fact that it was his own fault, - that if he did what he was supposed to and investigate thoroughly, then it makes it even worse.

Venom is purely a visual character, and that Marvel's edtorial policy made him invincible, however unbelievable that is. If Spidey kicked his ass, as it should be, Venom would've burnt out long ago. He's shallow. It isn't as if it would've been hard to make him a great character, but then comic book writers aren't very creative.

bbf2 said:
ASBM#4, Annual 1, and ASM 18/19 all occured in the same amount of time...1963/64. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with Sandman's four appearances there. But they all happened at the same time.
I don't really care about Marvel Team-Up, that's a bit of a free for all, I'm just talking about Spider-comics. And I don't really care about FF comics either.

You have to include Marvel Team-Up, because that was a Spider-Man comic, just as Marvel Two-In-One was a Thing comic. Out of its 150 issue run, maybe 10 issues didn't feature him.

So breaking it down:

ASM #4, Annual #1, ASM #18, 19: All from 1963/44
ASM #154: His only other solo appearance, his only appearance in the 70's.
ASM #213-215: All in 1981. Big gaps between these appearances here. I don't think he appeared in 213. 214 and 215 were with the Frightful Four, which is something I guess, but if he's fighting Spidey as a subsidiary of The Wizard I don't think it counts as much, personally.

Electro's appearances are more spaced out, and ASM 9, 82, and 187 are all

ASM #9,
Anuual #1:
ASM #82: Solo appearance
ASM #187: Solo appearance
SSM#39,40, and you forgot 42: Frightful Four (No props for this)
You forgot one more solo appearance: SSM 66

I mean, I guess they're not THAT different, but Electro having four solo appearances in the same time with Sandman only having one is something. There's nothing wrong with appearing in other titles and not too much wrong with appearing in supervillain teams, but Electro has stuff going on for him besides that. Plus it was more spaced out than Sandman, who's had most of these appearances all at the same time in 1963/4.

But how they did from 1963-1983 isn't really the important part. This is pretty negligible. The important thing is...after those appearances, Sandman became a hero and stopped fighting him. Electro then went on to appear consistantly throughout the 80's and 90's, during which he had more solo appearances and three different three part story arcs. I'd say even if they're pretty much the same during this period....Electro appearing for 20 MORE YEARS as a consistant threat is a pretty DAMN big thing to tip the scales in his favor.

But the point is, in terms of significance, Sandman stands next to Electro and so many others. If you know who Electro is, you know who Sandman is. If you know Electro's early appearances in Spider-Man, you know Sandman's. He's as heavy a hitter in the Marvel universe as Electro or the others. Spider-Man certainly had the same amount of concern over battling him as any of his other major foes.

OK, I don't have them, so I don't know. But occasionally fighting other heroes a couple times isn't the hugest deal, but Sandman fought the same one (The FF) over and over and over. My main point in bringing that up is to show that the "appearance numbers" that guy posted were pretty bogus, with his unusually high amount of FF appearances and with all his hero appearances.

Well, the subject of this thread is how "big" Sandman is. The person starting the thread probably assumed that Sandman only fought Spidey, and just a few times, thus believing his significance was low, like a character such as the Looter. Whereas Stan Lee clearly thought Sandman was a great character of considerable power if he'd have him single-handedly defeat the Fantastic Four, and even having him fight the Hulk single-handedly. The fact that he isn't just a Spider-Man foe doesn't take away from his importance.

The longest Electro has been without fighting Spider-Man is six years. Not quite the same as Sandman not being a villain for 20 years.

Well, again, While I hated the idea of Sandman becoming a hero, the very fact that Marvel figured they could get so much mileage out of him as a hero says something of his importance. And let's not forget he made quite a number of appearances in Spidey's books during that period as well.

Really? So you don't think Doc Ock is a bigger Spidey villain than the Shocker? Or that the Vulture is a bigger Spidey villain than the Tarantula?

Please. I said in one of my previous posts that villains like Ock are ARCHVILLAINS. Not the run of the mill villain-of-the-month, but really the heroes' mirror-image. I would never suggest that Sandman is that for Spidey. But he is an important character in the Spider-Man and Marvel mythos.

OK, so Darkseid is strictly a Jimmy Olsen villain and not a JLA or Superman villain. Got it.

Well, I keep saying that Sandman isn't strictly a Spider-Man villain (And again, neither is Electro) but he is a Spider-Man villain. And, you can answer your own question. Did Jimmy Olsen fight and defeat Darkseid? Did Darkseid have to regroup and come up with a new scheme in order to defeat his sworn enemy, Jimmy Olsen? Not quite the same parameters.

He was only in the Sinister Six for one issue. One issue is not a "story arc."

Well, if you really need to play with semantics to make your point...It was an annual, a special event. And it stacks up against much of the multi-part arcs being produced to today.

I think Swarm is a great villain, but that doesn't make him a "big Spider-Man villain."

No. Swarm is not a great villain.

"Nope?" Uh, Electro had four issues devoted to him in the period you described, not to mention several during the 80's and 90's. Regardless of whether you think it was "padding," the fact that Electro had three 3-part story arcs to him (which I've read and enjoyed immensely, they gave Electro character depth and motivation without lessening his impact as a villain and fleshed out his character) is still pretty damn big, especially if you're going to argue with numbers.

Electro hand 4 single appearances. Sandman had 3 (ASM #4, Marvel Team-up #1 and ASM #154). And he had even more appearances as a member of the evil FF. He was utilized because he was seen as being a great asset to the stories. If they felt as highly of Electro (And there's no reason why they shuldn't have) they'd have found a way of using him (They had him create his own team to fight DD). And if Sandman wasn't turned into a hero, they'd have used him as well, since they looked for every opportunity to cram him into stories, even unbelievably making him an Avenger.

For the last damn time, it doesn't matter if it would be in a movie script. This thread is about SANDMAN IN THE COMICS and whether he was a big Spider-Man villain.

Well, the person who started the thread, being that he placed it in THIS forum, must have at least figured there was some connection between his importance in the comics and to why he'd be chosen as a villain for this movie.

In any case, Spidey also "moved on" from having his child stolen and from thinking he was a clone, doesn't mean it didn't have significant impact at the time. (And I would hardly call killing the elderly an "adventure.")

No. There's simply bad writing- whereas Peter is told to his face that someon killed his daughter and he does nothing. And there's things that are merely "a day in the life of"... And that he deals with and moves on to the next day.

Peter Parker Spider-Man v.2 #12. A backup story that explains why he was evil in that case. This new, Wizard-manufactured Sandman was lying when he said he was a villain the whole time, considering the considerable amount of issues where we were privy to Sandman's inner thoughts and struggles where it was obvious that he was actually a hero.

Well considering that most of that period is forgotten by fans and industry folk alike, I think Sandman feigning being on the side of the angels in order to place himself in a position to fulfill more grandiose schemes (He was bodyguarding a Senator. He might have eventually gotten close to the President) is a stronger argument than being subject to the Wizard's "Mean machine".

For the last time, look at the name of the thread. We're talking about whether or not he was a big character in the comics. It doesn't matter how well he would work in the movie. This thread is asking if he was a major villain in the comics.

And he is. Like I said, the one starting the thread clearly has limited knowledge of Sandman's criminal career and didn't know that he fought others aside from Spider-Man. Now he knows. End of story.

Dragon said:
You have to include Marvel Team-Up, because that was a Spider-Man comic, just as Marvel Two-In-One was a Thing comic. Out of its 150 issue run, maybe 10 issues didn't feature him.

But it was completely random and there were different writers/artists and nothing of significance ever happened in it. There's no way it can hold the same weight as ASM or SSM.

But the point is, in terms of significance, Sandman stands next to Electro and so many others. If you know who Electro is, you know who Sandman is. If you know Electro's early appearances in Spider-Man, you know Sandman's. He's as heavy a hitter in the Marvel universe as Electro or the others. Spider-Man certainly had the same amount of concern over battling him as any of his other major foes.

If you know who The Lizard is, you probably know who Vermin is. Doesn't mean the Lizard isn't a much more important foe to Spider-Man.

Well, the subject of this thread is how "big" Sandman is. The person starting the thread probably assumed that Sandman only fought Spidey, and just a few times, thus believing his significance was low, like a character such as the Looter. Whereas Stan Lee clearly thought Sandman was a great character of considerable power if he'd have him single-handedly defeat the Fantastic Four, and even having him fight the Hulk single-handedly. The fact that he isn't just a Spider-Man foe doesn't take away from his importance.

Obviously he's bigger than like, the Looter, but I'm taking it one step further and qualifying him in terms of other Spider-villains. Like I said, the reason I brought up his numerous other appearances was to show that that one guy's "appearance number" list was bogus if we're talking about his importance to Spidey or as a Spidey villain.

And of course people "consider" him a big gun, that's one of my main points, that he's overrated by people. His worth as a Spider-villain is overrated by people because of ASM#4 and appearing in the first Sinister Six, but he hasn't done anything since then or even appeared very much.

It's not the worst thing in the world. I would rather a villain be overrated because of appearing early than for other reasons (like the Shocker being overrated because he had a cool voice in the cartoon, whereas in the comics he was barely any bigger than Boomerang or the Molten Man.)

Well, again, While I hated the idea of Sandman becoming a hero, the very fact that Marvel figured they could get so much mileage out of him as a hero says something of his importance. And let's not forget he made quite a number of appearances in Spidey's books during that period as well.

"Get so much mileage out of him?" They turned him into a hero because he was a boring villain that they couldn't do anything with except as petty muscle. Then he got boring as a hero as well so they had to change him back. They've gotten mileage out of other villains without turning them into heros. And making appearance in Spidey books as an ally doesn't help his ranking as a Spider-villain...in fact it probably hurts it. I think most people agree that Venom allying with Spider-Man all those times hurt his worth as a villain. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Please. I said in one of my previous posts that villains like Ock are ARCHVILLAINS. Not the run of the mill villain-of-the-month, but really the heroes' mirror-image. I would never suggest that Sandman is that for Spidey. But he is an important character in the Spider-Man and Marvel mythos.

I put the "Vulture is more important than the Tarantula" in there because I thought you'd respond with something like "Well GG/Ock/Venom are like the ARCHVILLAINS of Spidey, they don't count, but everyone after them is the same." I'm qualifying him in terms of the others. Of course people "consider" him important because he appeared in ASM#4.

Well, I keep saying that Sandman isn't strictly a Spider-Man villain (And again, neither is Electro) but he is a Spider-Man villain. And, you can answer your own question. Did Jimmy Olsen fight and defeat Darkseid? Did Darkseid have to regroup and come up with a new scheme in order to defeat his sworn enemy, Jimmy Olsen? Not quite the same parameters.

Of course he didn't! You're HELPING my point! I mentioned the fact that Darkseid first appeared in a Jimmy Olsen comic to point out that your qualifications (of a villain "having to have his first appearance in that person's comic") were not valid.

Well, if you really need to play with semantics to make your point...It was an annual, a special event. And it stacks up against much of the multi-part arcs being produced to today.

Play with semantics? I was pointing out that your qualifications were arbitrary, and ironic since Sandman didn't even fit that category.

No. Swarm is not a great villain.

BUT HE'S A MAN MADE OF FREAKING BEES! FRIKKIN BEES, MAN! :woot:

Electro hand 4 single appearances. Sandman had 3 (ASM #4, Marvel Team-up #1 and ASM #154). And he had even more appearances as a member of the evil FF. He was utilized because he was seen as being a great asset to the stories. If they felt as highly of Electro (And there's no reason why they shuldn't have) they'd have found a way of using him (They had him create his own team to fight DD). And if Sandman wasn't turned into a hero, they'd have used him as well, since they looked for every opportunity to cram him into stories, even unbelievably making him an Avenger.

I don't see your point here. "They would have found a way to use Electro?" They have found SEVERAL ways of using Electro as a villain, all the way from 1964 to the present. And he even joined the evil FF at one point, after kicking the asses of the other three.

Well, the person who started the thread, being that he placed it in THIS forum, must have at least figured there was some connection between his importance in the comics and to why he'd be chosen as a villain for this movie.

But it doesn't change his worth as a Spider-villain.

No. There's simply bad writing- whereas Peter is told to his face that someon killed his daughter and he does nothing. And there's things that are merely "a day in the life of"... And that he deals with and moves on to the next day.

If you think these things are unimportant, then the occasional Sandpunch must be REALLY unimportant.
I still want you to defend yourself for calling murder of the elderly an "adventure," you sicko. ;)

Well considering that most of that period is forgotten by fans and industry folk alike, I think Sandman feigning being on the side of the angels in order to place himself in a position to fulfill more grandiose schemes (He was bodyguarding a Senator. He might have eventually gotten close to the President) is a stronger argument than being subject to the Wizard's "Mean machine".

Now this paragraph is just bizarre. A "stronger argument?" WTF? It's not up for debate! We SAW him get hit by the Wizard's machine. There was a whole backup story devoted to it. It's not up for debate, that IS what happened to make him evil again.
And then AFTER that happened and he became evil again, he pretended to be on the good side for one more issue for the Senator thing. The Wizard machine thing happened BEFORE the Senator stuff.
It doesn't make sense that he would "pretend" to be a good guy for 20 years. For one thing, how would he know 20 years ago that he would be protecting a Senator? But more importantly, we saw tons of internal monologues from him during those 20 years where we were privy to his thoughts, usually stuff like "It's hard being a hero, but I cant go back, I've made a new life for myself..." etc.

And he is. Like I said, the one starting the thread clearly has limited knowledge of Sandman's criminal career and didn't know that he fought others aside from Spider-Man. Now he knows. End of story.

My argument is that his worth as a Spider-villain is overrated because of his first appearance in 1963 when he hasn't really done anything as a strictly Spider-Man villain since then, except for a couple issues with the Frightful Four and one more solo villain appearance (and apparently a couple issues of Marvel Team Up.)

Personally, I like Sandman as a goodguy more. He should join up with the mighty Avengers.
But he still was a pretty decent spiderman villain.

bbf2 said:
But it was completely random and there were different writers/artists and nothing of significance ever happened in it. There's no way it can hold the same weight as ASM or SSM.

Marvel Team-Up wasn't random and completely within continuity. The first few issues were even written by Gerry Conway, who was also writing ASM. For example, in issue #12 Peter accepted a job assignment in San Francisco to clear his head after Gwen's death. Spidey mentions while fighting Man-Wolf in ASM #124 that he'd just fought another werewolf (in MTU #12).

If you know who The Lizard is, you probably know who Vermin is. Doesn't mean the Lizard isn't a much more important foe to Spider-Man.

Not at all. Vermin could hardly be considered a classic character. And honestly, he's just a rip-off of the likes of the Lizard. He was certainly created during a period when Marvel began to repeat themselves, which continues to this day. "We've done a man turns into Lizard (And Dinosaur- So let's try a man turns into a RAT!! That's original, right?" What's next, man turns into fluffy bunny?

Obviously he's bigger than like, the Looter, but I'm taking it one step further and qualifying him in terms of other Spider-villains. Like I said, the reason I brought up his numerous other appearances was to show that that one guy's "appearance number" list was bogus if we're talking about his importance to Spidey or as a Spidey villain.

And of course people "consider" him a big gun, that's one of my main points, that he's overrated by people. His worth as a Spider-villain is overrated by people because of ASM#4 and appearing in the first Sinister Six, but he hasn't done anything since then or even appeared very much.

So, you rate a villain based on his number of appearances in a certain book. Not how dangerous he is. Okay. Then I guess Spidey's deadliest foe must be The Jackal.

It's not the worst thing in the world. I would rather a villain be overrated because of appearing early than for other reasons (like the Shocker being overrated because he had a cool voice in the cartoon, whereas in the comics he was barely any bigger than Boomerang or the Molten Man.)

Except that he isn't overrated. Any guy who can beat Spidey, the FF, and even give the Hulk a hassle clearly isn't overrated.

"Get so much mileage out of him?" They turned him into a hero because he was a boring villain that they couldn't do anything with except as petty muscle. Then he got boring as a hero as well so they had to change him back. They've gotten mileage out of other villains without turning them into heros. And making appearance in Spidey books as an ally doesn't help his ranking as a Spider-villain...in fact it probably hurts it. I think most people agree that Venom allying with Spider-Man all those times hurt his worth as a villain. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Okay... So they used him regularly for 18 years as a villain. Then regularly for another 18 years as a hero. .....Because.... he's... boring. Okay. So i guess Sandy's fans really had Marvel spooked.

I put the "Vulture is more important than the Tarantula" in there because I thought you'd respond with something like "Well GG/Ock/Venom are like the ARCHVILLAINS of Spidey, they don't count, but everyone after them is the same." I'm qualifying him in terms of the others. Of course people "consider" him important because he appeared in ASM#4.

And he is. Obviously you don't like him as a character, thus YOU don't rank him as important. Well, I don't like Venom, but I certainly wouldn't say that he wasn't an important Spidey villain even though Marvel attempted to make a hero out of him (and after even less time than Sandman).

Of course he didn't! You're HELPING my point! I mentioned the fact that Darkseid first appeared in a Jimmy Olsen comic to point out that your qualifications (of a villain "having to have his first appearance in that person's comic") were not valid.

....Except that Spidey actually did fight and defeat Sandman, and Sandman chose to regroup and go against Spidey again. Thus making Spider-Man his foe. Not the same case with Jimmy and Darkseid. Which was my point, and doesn't help yours, actually.

Play with semantics? I was pointing out that your qualifications were arbitrary, and ironic since Sandman didn't even fit that category.

But they aren't arbitrary. A full annual is more than a single issue. And fine- ASM #18-19 is an ARC. ASM #213-215 is an ARC. ASM #217-218 is an ARC. Happy? Oh -yeah- and in ASM #217, he DOES appear solo. He isn't teamed with Hydroman.

BUT HE'S A MAN MADE OF FREAKING BEES! FRIKKIN BEES, MAN! :woot:

Exactly. And BTW- Swarm was introduced in The Champions. So he doesn't count as a Spidey villain either.

I don't see your point here. "They would have found a way to use Electro?" They have found SEVERAL ways of using Electro as a villain, all the way from 1964 to the present. And he even joined the evil FF at one point, after kicking the asses of the other three.

Simple. I'm saying they used Sandman more because they had more use for him.

But it doesn't change his worth as a Spider-villain.

But he didn't actually ask that. He asked for how big Sandman was in general, again not knowing that he's fought other heroes.

If you think these things are unimportant, then the occasional Sandpunch must be REALLY unimportant.
I still want you to defend yourself for calling murder of the elderly an "adventure," you sicko. ;)

Easy. I hate the elderly ;). Seriously though.. When was the last time Nathan was mentioned? May is currently involved with Jarvis of the Avengers. And as it's being written, this seems to be her first relationship post-Ben. About 3 years ago May is shown in a graveyard, visiting Ben, Mary and Richard. Why no Nathan? Moreover, you'll recall that wonderful bit of retconning that told us the real May was a captive of Osborn for a number of years while an actress took her place. So for all we know (or in my case, care) that might not have even been the actual May involved with Nathan. Since her kidnapping is also no longer mentioned, I doubt we'll have any definitive answer.

Now this paragraph is just bizarre. A "stronger argument?" WTF? It's not up for debate! We SAW him get hit by the Wizard's machine. There was a whole backup story devoted to it. It's not up for debate, that IS what happened to make him evil again.
And then AFTER that happened and he became evil again, he pretended to be on the good side for one more issue for the Senator thing. The Wizard machine thing happened BEFORE the Senator stuff.

Please. This is Marvel. Everything they do is up for debate. We "Saw" Gwen Stacy in love with Peter Parker and with him up until her death. Then we "SAW" her screwing Norman Osborn and give birth to his children. And now Marvel is trying to distance themselves from that wonderful imagery and even intend to retcon it again in an upcoming story according to JMS.

It doesn't make sense that he would "pretend" to be a good guy for 20 years. For one thing, how would he know 20 years ago that he would be protecting a Senator? But more importantly, we saw tons of internal monologues from him during those 20 years where we were privy to his thoughts, usually stuff like "It's hard being a hero, but I cant go back, I've made a new life for myself..." etc.

Come now. Your argument is seriously lacking if you've so conveniently forgetten that it wasn't 20 actual years that Sandy was a hero. Marvel time isn't real time, otherwise Peter's pushing 60 right about now. Sandy was good for about 5 years or so Marvel time, if Gwen has been dead for about 7-8 years Marvel time. This is certainly a reasonable amount of time for Sandy to "implant" himself. Spies and undercover cops easily have to work that long to get into a good position. Especially if as in Sandy's case, you were working for so long against (As in trying to KILL) those you now wanted to woo.

My argument is that his worth as a Spider-villain is overrated because of his first appearance in 1963 when he hasn't really done anything as a strictly Spider-Man villain since then, except for a couple issues with the Frightful Four and one more solo villain appearance (and apparently a couple issues of Marvel Team Up.)

Well, apparently you're one of the few who think so. Marvel's staff, Sam Raimi and I disagree. That's good enough for me.

paulyfknt90 said:
there only useing sandman in this movie to tie him into uncle bems death, it couses more drama and with more drama more action scenes!!!

They are not using sandman just for that. They could hve easily used any villain and do the same thing. Sandman is being used because 1. Raimi loves the character 2. Excellent visuals and contrary to what gets thrown around here, we wont be getting basic effects as seen in the mummy movies 3. Sandman's a character with a very simplistic back ground story that I dont think anybody would really care about his origins compared to say, a more recognised and established villain. This is a chance to give more depth and dynamic featyres from all angles to a grade A shallow character.
Sandman reminds me of electro in the sence that he weilds incredible power and has more than enough potential to leave a mark in spidey's history but whereas they've actually tried with electro, sandman got next to zilch, they just made him a cranky mummy's boy.
This movie intends to alter, explore and exploit the huge potential sandman has not only with his powers but as a character too.

Sloth7d said:
Personally, I like Sandman as a goodguy more. He should join up with the mighty Avengers.
But he still was a pretty decent spiderman villain.

I prefer him as a villain because if actual effort was put into it, he could be written very well and become an established supervillain one could actually take seriously. I liked his role in sm2:EE, something that was needed and shed light on the possibility of having enormous potential to at least bump up to B-list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"