What is your favorite Big 3 Trilogy (IM1-IM2-IM3 vs CATFA-CATWS-CACW vs T-TTDW-TR) ?

MarvelFan

The Nine-tailed White Fox
Reaction score
This is my first time create a new thread,
that being said now that Thor Ragnarok has wrapped as the final movie of Big Three (Iron Man, Cap, and Thor) trilogy, I am quite curious which trilogy is the best, the most satisfying, and the most favorite among Marvel fans here between Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3 VS Cap The First Avenger- Cap The Winter Soldier - Cap Civil War VS Thor- Thor The Dark World- Thor Ragnarok

To me, as long as I love Thor Ragnarok and Thor of course is my favorite Marvel character, but as long as the story and character arc goes, I choose Cap as the best trilogy. The fact that from the first movie until 3rd movie that the screenwriter has not changed proved that Marvel really has a solid plan for Cap arc.

And yesterday I just saw Thor Ragnarok for the 2nd time, I started to compare it to Civil War and I just thought I feel more for the emotional beating and journey which Cap is taking on from The First Avenger to Civil War.

I really love Thor Ragnarok, I really does, but as just I wrote on my review in Thor board, the more heavily on humor on big part of the movie (which not a bad thing since I loved it) is perhaps my second viewing is not as great experience as the first one watching it, It is still a great movie and as a Thor fan, I really glad Marvel Studios has bring a Thor movie that fans loved, but I cannot help thinking that if I compare it on Civil War, I just feel more for Cap:s pain and suffering through the end.

For now, I choose Cap trilogy over Iron Man and Thor.

Last edited:
I like all three trilogies, but I also choose the Captain America trilogy as my favorite. This is because I think that the Captain America movies display the most consistency in terms of overall high-quality filmmaking, and in terms of representing the hero in the best possible way. Steve Rogers is a great character, and his movies are consistently good in illustrating his journey.

I don't consider Civil War a Captain America film even though it's called Captain America: Civil War. It could quite easily have been called Iron Man: Civil War, in reality it probably should have been called The Avengers: Civil War.

Even still, if I did consider it as part of a Cap trilogy, the Thor one would probably be my favourite even though I wasn't a fan of Ragnarok.

I can't choose one. Captain America had a bland origin film. While Iron Man and Thor had a very average second solo film.

I don't consider Civil War a Captain America film even though it's called Captain America: Civil War. It could quite easily have been called Iron Man: Civil War, in reality it probably should have been called The Avengers: Civil War.

Even still, if I did consider it as part of a Cap trilogy, the Thor one would probably be my favourite even though I wasn't a fan of Ragnarok.

I am sorry but what makes you think that CIvil War should be called Iron Man movie?

To me, that is Cap movie through and through, Yes, I agree that Iron Man also had a arc in that movie, but from the point of view characters, the arc in the story through ending clearly impact Cap emotionally more than Iron Man.

Iron Man had the best origin movie,while Thor and The First Avenger were good.

Captain America had the best sequel in The Winter Soldier,while The Dark World and Iron Man 2 are average movies.

Thor had the best threequel in Ragnarok and it did to the character what TWS did to Cap. Civil War was still a Cap movie but The Avengers,Black Panther,Spidey and Ant-Man all helped to elevate the movie. Iron Man 3 was very good too and different from what came before.

Ragnarok,Civil War,Winter Soldier and Iron Man are all top tier Marvel movies.

Cap has the best overall trilogy,Thor and Iron Man are comparable but personally I preferred Thor.

So for me it's Cap,Thor,Iron Man.

Cap A, for me, by a country mile, in terms of the arc & quality of the 3 films seen as a whole. Then Thor (not seen TR yet though) then IM trilogy, as much as I despise Thor DW, I despise IM2 & IM3 more, but the first Iron Man is quality.

Thor for me. No question. I've never been totally satisfied with the MCU's treatment of him but He's definitely my favorite character/hero in the universe that they've built. I also feel Hemsworth really just embodies the role better than any of the actors in the MCU. He was just absolutely perfect casting for this and I don't think Marvel has done better since.

I am sorry but what makes you think that CIvil War should be called Iron Man movie?

To me, that is Cap movie through and through, Yes, I agree that Iron Man also had a arc in that movie, but from the point of view characters, the arc in the story through ending clearly impact Cap emotionally more than Iron Man.

It's not that I think it should be called or billed as an Iron Man movie, it's that it could have been given that I feel the movie focuses just as much on Iron Man as it does Captain America. I wouldn't imagine there is very much difference in terms of the amount of screen time both characters get.

Really? I felt the story had more of an emotional impact on Iron Man given how things ended.

Last edited:
Cap, definitely. 2/3 films of the other franchises are barely watchable.

Close between Cap and Iron Man but since TWS and CW are two of my favorite MCU movies, Cap gets the edge.

Captain America wins BY FAR in terms of overall quality imo:

Captain America: TFA-Good to really good. Captain America: TWS=Great. Captain America: CW=Really good.

Iron Man=Good. Iron Man 2=Average. Iron Man 3=Alright.

Thor=Good. Thor: TDW=Bland and forgettable. Thor: Ragnarok=Good.

Honestly Captain America is in the running for best genre trilogy of all time imo

Captain America wins BY FAR in terms of overall quality imo:

Captain America: TFA-Good to really good. Captain America: TWS=Great. Captain America: CW=Really good.

Iron Man=Good. Iron Man 2=Average. Iron Man 3=Alright.

Thor=Good. Thor: TDW=Bland and forgettable. Thor: Ragnarok=Good.

Honestly Captain America is in the running for best genre trilogy of all time imo

Lol this is more or less my thoughts on all 9 of these movies.

Thor for me, easily.

The worlds of Cap and Iron Man just don't do much for me.

captain america.he is only one who has had three films i like even though civil war is really avengers film though it still is bit more cap centrix than avengers 1 and 2.

never liked the thor films.with iron man liked his first film.thought 2 was ok and hated 3.

Thor is hands down my favorite of the comic book characters, but that just means that I am more demanding, and have been disappointed by the Thor movies with the gleepy charming rom-com Hemsworth failing utterly to portray an intimidating and awe-inspiring thousand-plus-year-old god of war and thunder.

Captain America, OTOH, was probably my least favorite of the three, in the comic books, and yet has turned out to have the best movies.

So Captain America (one good movie, two great movies), then Iron Man (one great movie, one good movie, one dud), then Thor (two duds, one good movie).

Oh, I wanted to love that first Thor movie, but the decision to make them about a funny goofball who makes gleepy eyes at Natalie Portman and funnily gets tasered and backed over by her, just did not do it for me. Instead Iron Man one was *amazing* and the First Avenger was at least a good setup for the character, and a strong lead in to the amazing Winter Soldier and Civil War movies.

This is too easy. The combination of TWS and CW beats IM & IM3 or Thor and Ragnarok easily. Plus the TFA is better than IM2 or DW.

Cap, easily. Both of the others had EXTREMELY weak 2nd installments.

Cap. Civil War is my favorite MCU film and second favorite CBM ever. TWS isn't far behind. TFA is the weakest, but I'd still take it over either Thor 1 or 2 and IM2.

Definitely Cap. I've got the ranks as follows:

Cap:
7.5/9.5/10 = avg 9.0
Iron Man:
8.5/8.0/7.5 = avg 8.0
Thor:
7.0/7.0/8.5 = avg 7.5

It's not that I think it should be called or billed as an Iron Man movie, it's that it could have been given that I feel the movie focuses just as much on Iron Man as it does Captain America. I wouldn't imagine there is very much difference in terms of the amount of screen time both characters get.

Really? I felt the story had more of an emotional impact on Iron Man given how things ended.

Yes, I agree....
Civil War both in 616 and MCU is as much a Cap story as Iron Man story. It can be seen from two different perspectve narrative.

Nevertheless, why I think Cap journey is more emotional is because maybe the movie itself presented from Cap point of view. I see from the very beginning that he struggle through the event unfolded in Lagos, to the Accord, to the death of Peggy, that leads to how he let his own personal feeling gets him by chase and save Bucky with resulting in him is breaking the law and become a wanted man. And the biggest one is, Cap choose to kept the truth that it is Bucky who kills Stark parents. I cannot imagine how he feels when he choose between two people who I believe Steve already considers his best friend. At the end, Steve even admits that he might be make a mistake by kept the truth from Tony, that he might be done that to spare himself from pain. To me, that is a flaw which makes him very human. I myself has done a lot things, whether good things or bad things to the people near me without realizing it that I might done that to keep me from being harmful, blamed, or suffering.

That is why I think Cap arc is more emotional to me, Not that I say that Tony arc is bad though, It is perhaps the first time I really feel Tony Stark show his emotion, something that I believe I did not feel from him in the previous movies.

*Last but not least, I am sorry if my choose of words is a little bit weird or confusing because English is not my first language (I just graduated from English Writing and Analysis degree just 5 years ago and not often use it in my daily life, so.. hehe) but I try my best to make my point to be easy to read and understand.*

Captain America for sure, it's the only one where I would watch all three films again. I can't really see myself going back and watching TDW or Iron Man 3 to be honest.

- Iron Man

Very good movie, bad movie, bad movie

- Cap

Decent movie, great movie, good movie

- Thor

Average movie, bad movie, bad movie

Cap, easily

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"