• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Arrow What should be the next Arrow?

"My name is Victor Stone. Before the accident, my body was made of flesh and blood. Now it's made of steel and electricity. With nothing left, it's up to me to avenge my mother and protect my father's technology from the unsavory, the unknown and the unbelievable. But to do this, I'll have to become something more than human... something inhuman..."

icon_zps488c3e80.gif

The Pitch

This is basically to the Iron Man Trilogy what Arrow is to the Dark Knight Trilogy. This Victor Stone kid is involved in an accident, and using his father's legacy and tech, he has to defend corporate baddies who misuse the tech, as well as international criminals and competitors, and a large number of other flavors of using his incredible tech that merges humanity with technology.

Production Issues

This also solves the expensive imagery problem. Just like Iron Man, Victor has a prosthesis to keep him alive after his accident. Use the old 70s Cyborg design for inspiration of this prosthesis.

cyborg-3_zps2169642c.jpg

So all this unitard stuff happens under the costume, with the possible exception of the faceplate, but even then, it could be removed to show all sorts of charred skin and missing/cybernetic/eyepatched eye. Very cool. Very dark. The chest power source is still totally in place with the New 52 costume, something which is actually affordable on a TV budget, so long as the character doesn't fly, as testified to by Dr. Who's Cybermen characters.

rise_of_the_cybermen.jpg

But obviously he'd be outside of that for the majority of the drama. That'd be, like Iron Man's suit, a big deal for big action scenes and such. Cannon for Repulsor Blast is a relatively cheap effect, not as cheap as arrows, but cheap enough. Smallville superstrength. All doable.

Episodes/Story

So, now we've got the core appeal down, the budget taken care of. The deeper appeal is about the loss of humanity. Holding hands when one of them is metal. Not knowing if you're really alive, or if a machine is just animating you (a little dark, I know). Connecting to the internet in your head, and losing yourself, just like many people do on their keyboards, but also making commentary on hacking and how much everyone is connected to their machines, really.

Every episode deals with some other gadget from STAR Labs from his dad, and how he deals with it, incorporates into his costume or how others deal with it. Basing it on real life gadgets just makes it cooler and more relevant. The goal is recovering the tech... that simple. It of course gets more complicated as more tech makes him less human, more cybernetic.

Cast

After that, it's just a matter of casting towards the melodrama that makes people like this stuff. Lots of young pretty attractive people, arguing, loving, fighting, doing their own thing and all being dramatically changed by the arrival of this Cyborg vigilante. Comparisons to similar roles in the Iron Man series in parentheses, but note they don't necessarily die as quick as in Iron Man's cinematic story, some may die quicker, some may turn evil, it's all fluid, up in the air.

Victor Stone - Main Character, burgeoning genius, former sports star, entering nerd world, finding his lost humanity, very confident. (Tony)
Wendy Kuttler- Robotics tech genius that first conflicts with Victor, but they become allies. (Yinsen)
Marvin Kuttler- Brilliant promoter, Wendy's brother, becomes the jovial foil to Victor's seriousness. (Happy)
Silas Stone - Estranged father, works for STAR Labs, caught up with bad guys, working with them. (Howard Stark)
Latonya Charles - Tech assistant to Silas, potential love interest, annoying little sister type, fusion of Sarah Charles and Cyborgirl. (Rhodey)
Sarah Simms - Good friend, teaches kids with prostheses, real heartwarming type, potential love interest. (Pepper)
Ronnie Evers - Old friend that's trouble, very charming, very dangerous (Hammer)
Elinore Stone - Victor's deceased mother. Her voice, and protectiveness is his on-board computer. (JARVIS)
Rick Flag - Agent of Checkmate seems to keep tabs on Victor, can be help sometimes, but often is a hinderance. (Coulson)
Noah Kuttler - The Calculator, season 1's Big-bad. Uses STAR Labs to fuel a global empire. (Stane)

Connections/Future

Season 1 handles the Calculator, if things progress you can bring in Techinis as the alien incursion that caused the accident, and other portals that create Beast Boy, or find Starfire and/or Raven during season 2. If you link it with Arrow, you could have Roy be their "Robin" and have a nice version of the Teen Titans, perhaps dealing with Doctor Light for Season 3. Or if you keep going forward, with maybe linking it up with Arrow and other heroes, you have a sort of mini-Justice League, or more accurately, the Outsiders, maybe dealing with Checkmate and OMAC for a season 4. And who knows, if Arrow and Cyborg are successful enough, maybe (pipe dream warning!) maybe they could be included in the new DC movie continuity! Cameos for Green Arrow and Cyborg in the big ol' film!

justice-league-cyborg_zpseb6d5ba9.jpg

Last edited:
Dr. Cosmic: Very well thought out. Have always liked your Cyborg idea. In fact I posted your Cyborg on an article I did for a site which was basically a parallel to this topic. I did 5 characters that DC should make a tv show for. I should probably update it now....

Paradox: Thank you for having faith in SHAZAM!, did you get to read my idea? It's well thought out like Dr. Cosmics up there. If not just click the link.

I do like the Injustice costume but I'm really going for the New 52 look. I like the indented lightning bolt. And sorry but the hood is awesome.

I'm not a fan of an hood with a cape It just looks wrong to me. I've read your idea for Shazam and it's decent but I have some issues with it. I don't like the premise of magic returning to the world being a reason for the wizard to give his power to Billy. That just seems out of character for the wizard and for the dc universe home to many magical heroes, civilizations and gods such as Ares, the amazons ,Dr. Fate and etc. I would rather the wizard just be dying and passing on his power before he leaves this world forever not wanting it to be unprotected. I also think any parrells to how Smallville tried to introduce Clark's new powers should be thrown out. The wisdom of Solomon should give him all the knowledge needed about his powers.

Last edited:
The hood was intended to differentiate himself from other heroes, like Superman for instance.

The magic returning to the world is a minor reason for Billy becoming SHAZAM! I was a little vague in the blog. Basically the wizard sealed away certain magics cause he thought they were too powerful for the world. Since he's dying (he would die in the show) the magics are returning and unfortunately they're appearing in Fawcett City.

For example in one episode I have in mind Billy and Raven (it's their second episode together) team up to face a demon. During the battle Billy starts to hear whispering, he wonders what it is. Billy has the ability to see and hear magic (trust me it'll work) and suddenly realizes that a spell is in the area. The magic takes hold of the demon and the demon begins to multiply. After and epic battle Billy takes control of the spell and seals it in a scroll so that it can't be used unless spoken.

That particular spell is how I create Mary Marvel. Billy is kidnapped and she uses the spell to duplicate his powers to her so that she can save him.

It's just another wrinkle to the SHAZAM! formula to add depth. I'm not saying all magic was sealed away just parts of it. I didn't want Billy to become SHAZAM! just because Black Adam was returning or the Seven Deadly Sins were going to come back. That was too linear for me.

I honestly didn't watch Smallville (except the finale for fun) so I don't know how they introduced his powers. Also my version of Billy is based off of the New 52 which to my knowledge doesn't use the Pantheon of heroes. SHAZAM! is purely a magical being.

Them not using the Pantheon of heroes is a mistake cause that is part of what made Captain Marvel awesome. Nearly every one knows the Pantheon which makes understanding why this word holds so much power that much easier. DC has been trying to resurrect the Shazam name for decades but not using some of the key story lines doesn't help.

No matter how they try Shazam will always be compared to Superman in some way. They need to stop trying to deny it and let it be then focus on the parts of Shazam that work. I've heard about the New 52 Shazam and a lot of it I don't like the wizard is aborigines? Billy a arrogant woe is me pre-teen?

What made Billy really likeable in my opinion is that even when the world kicked him in his teeth. When his parents died then he was put in a foster home and he had to get a job just to eat he didn't give up. That is a kid who is a winner, that is a kid who will lead and be an inspiration to anybody who meets him. That is the kid who should have great power because he will use it the right way. That 52 Shazam is ******** and looks to be Shazam only in name alone.

Ok, please calm down and allow me to make some counterpoints.

Yes the pantheon is well known but if you think about it that was part of the problem. Back then they needed the pantheon to say why he's called SHAZAM! and explain his powers. Powers that reminded a lot of people of Superman. Now he still flies and has super strength but also he is a spellcaster and shoots lighting from his hands.

And to your other point Billy shouting SHAZAM! still holds power, it's just him asking the wizard for the power.

I really do like his new costume. I have a poster of the old one in my room and while it's nice it's cheap in some ways. His cape is tied on with a rope, the lightning bolt is kind of weak. The New 52 version gave his costume an overhaul and added the hood for some extra flair.

Now I agree that the old Billy Batson was a cool kid. But you must remember the time he was created in. It was a better world back then (in my opinion), as sad as it is not many kids are like that these days. And the new version isn't a woe is me type he's just a kid who's been handed a bad deal and was shaped by it. And even with the new attitude he fights for the little guy. He helped Mary and Freddy when bullies picked on them. As the wizard said he has the potential to do good which to many is more believable.

My version uses aspects from both Billy's because both have great character aspects. I understand if you don't like the comic but trust me it is SHAZAM!, it's just a new version.

I never thought of Cyborg actually. I was so focused on the obvious choices like Nightwing, Question, etc, but Cyborg has a lot of potential. And considering how much Johns loves the character and his role in JL a series with Vic wouldn't surprise me if it were to happen.

Great post, DrCosmic. :up:

Spider-Kurt: Thanks for the compliment on SHAZAM! I agree that both him and Cyborg have a lot of potential. I'm constantly updating my pitch/blog, right now I'm some concept art done of the new Mary Marvel and will soon work on the new Teen Titans.

Frico: That's the beauty of this topic, you'll hear ideas that you wouldn't have thought about before. Dr. Cosmic totally rocked the Cyborg idea, and I've heard great ideas for Zatanna, The Flash, Firestorm, etc. And if you think of a hero that might rock a tv show just post it here and we'll let you know what we think!

Just a small update on my SHAZAM! blog, we got a new piece of concept art today! (SHAZAM! crowds cheer!) we finally got the picture of Mary Marvel who as with SHAZAM! and Billy reflects the cousin I have. It's very exciting.

Next up we're doing a "family" shot of Billy, Mary, SHAZAM!, and Mary Marvel all together so that'll be fun. Then it's the new Teen Titans and the Justice Guardians.

The blog is here if you wish to look, stay tuned for more info!

Man another character that I think would be great for Tv but really difficult to pull off would be Steel.

The premise would be easy Superman has disappeared but the super villains have remained and beginning to run amok in the city. In a city crying out for a hero it gets one in the form of the new man of steel John Henry Irons.

Story- The story would be set in Metropolis so you'd see some familar characters in the Daily Planet, Lex Luthor and various other Superman villains based in Metropolis.Lousi Lane for example would be the only person actively searching for Superman in the pilot in later episodes she would draw John/Steel into the mystery. Irons and Luthor's relationship would be different from Luthor relationship with Superman. Irons rivalry with Luthor would stem from business and intellectual supremacy between the two. John would be CEO of SteelWorks a promising construction company that incorporates robotic's into it's workforce that John creates himself.

SteelWorks would be a family business run by John, his brother Daryl who acts as foreman, and Blondell Daryl's wife who runs the office Daryl and Blondell(hate that name by way) would have one child Natasha their teenage daughter who is a sweet girl but still a teenager. Daryl would move his family to Metropolis from DC because he believed in John's vision for SteelWorks.

The brother is killed by Bruno Manheim head of intergang because John refuses to negotiate. In the wake of his brother's death he creates the suit slaps on the S shield becomes the new hope of the city.

As the Character of Steel he would come off as different to all the other people who are use to Superman. He would always shy away from the limelight never doing interviews rarely being photographed. He wouldn't kill unless he had to but when he did he wouldn't beat himself up about it.

Steel would be harder to do than Cyborg because of the connections to Superman.

And as you said it would be Superman villains but many would rather seem them go up against Superman than Steel.

I loved Steel in Superman TAS, they had him go up against Metallo and it was awesome, he was also in Justice League but he didn't do much.

Love the originality. But agree it would be hard, especially since now that Man of Steel is a hit and Smallville was already done they might put an embargo on the characters of the franchise.

You can't do Steel without the connections to Superman to do so otherwise comes off as some Tony Stark wanna be. Steel has become more and more important to the Superman mythos in the comics over the years to the point Steel has become the Nightwing to Superman's Batman.

With that said I don't think you'd have to worry about any Superman franchise embargo cause essentially he's part of the franchise. In fact there was suppose to be a scene in the Man of Steel where Kal-El saves this black guy in the battle of Metropolis hinted at being John Henry Irons.

To be fair I did say Metropolis based Super villains and I don't think any of them would be the real heavy hitters like Brainiac,Darkseid or Doomsday. I'm thinking the guys Irons would go after would be Toymaster, Parasite,Metallo, Cyborg Superman, along with Steel enemies like Ameritek.

His battles with Lex would be more of a chess game played in business. Lex would still do shady business deals however Irons wouldn't be in a position to really understand how dangerous he is. The stories I envision with them two would be adversarial, then Lex wants to be his mentor, then his partner and in true Luthor fashion tries to buy the company SteelWorks right from underneath him.

Still tricky, first off Lex Luthor I truly believe would not be in the show. He's reserved for Superman. The other ones could work but I just don't see it happening.

It's an inspired choice, but with Smallville over and MOS out and getting a sequel it would be really difficult to do a tv series of any character based on the Superman side of the DCU.

I always wanted them to do Flash. His powers aren't expensive for TV and he's a big enough name to draw a crowd while small enough that I don't DC will be making a solo movie for him within the next 5 years.

Flash is very popular on this thread. Yeah he'd be easy enough to do with his speed powers as they've already done them with Superman. And his villains would be easy as well.

As long as they kept him funny and true to the character I could definitely see him getting his own show. And I also agree that he most likely won't get a solo movie until most likely after JL.

Flash would be best, imho. He goes with a TV show so very well. As you said, he's very affordable, he's also a relatively large name, and he even has the CSI angle that's really popular nowadays. Having the 'twist' for this procedural Cop show be that the guy is a Superhero is kinda cool.

The Question (ha ha ha) is will they do it? I don't know.

Let's pose a question. If the Flash is made who should be Barry Allen? Or should it be Barry at all?

Barry Allen is my Flash and he will always be my Flash as much as Wally West is different he is essentially a copy of Barry he is CSI lab geek and he got his power due to lighting. Barry doesn't have the personality of Wally which can be pretty amusing but Barry like I'm sure many have forgotten created the Justice League and once their leader. This was long before Batman and Superman ever signed up.

I would suggest Barry as well. It leaves room for a younger actor to grow into the Wally West role, much the way Colton Haynes is doing Roy Harper some kind of justice. Meanwhile, you aren't giving Wally Barry's CSI job, y'know? And while Barry may not be the jokester that Wally is, Barry is a total - TOTAL science nerd, that's something a lot of people can relate to. He's interesting because he's not cool, he's a little eccentric, and still has a lot of his young sense of wonder. He's also, strangely, very much an everyman. He makes simple everyday mistakes that cost him. Kind of like an older version of Spider-Man in that way.... in a lot of ways, actually. His foes are people he has relationships with, and there's this real relatable social fabric in his conflicts.

As for who should be him... Charlie Hunman seems to be a popular choice for everything nowadays. Another TV actor that I think is underrated that would do it some crazy real justice is Joshua Jackson from Fringe. He'd knock it out of the park as far as gravitas. Also John Krasinski from the Office would be a really fun, extremely cool Barry Allen. In fact, I think Krasinski would be my favorite.

Last edited:
I'm gonna give you a name for Barry Allen who is not popular at all. I mostly know him from the Clone Wars but Matt Lanter .he'd have to bulk up some and dye his hair but I think he'd make a fine Barry.

I agree it should be Barry Allen, especially with the New 52. I wouldn't mind a no-name doing the part but if someone somewhat famous did it and did it well I wouldn't mind.

Wonder Woman ('Amazon') will be the new 'Arrow'.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. Yes they're trying hard to make it happen but that doesn't mean it will. Remember that NBC Wonder Woman show actually had a pilot but didn't get picked up.

Nothing is certain in tv world. That's why we're having fun here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"