What's your favorite 'Batman looking over the city' shot in a Nolan film?

Tacit Ronin

Avenger
Reaction score
The endless debates on BvS's version of Batman looking over the city shot vs the one in Rises inspired this thread.

Which one do you like the most?

Fig 1.
Batman-Begins-0559.jpg

Fig 2.
Batman-Begins-0653.jpg

Fig 3.
The-Dark-Knight-1224.jpg

Fig 4.
xZfgu4P.gif

Unfortunately for some reason I can't the first 3 options, but I think my favorite one is the one of Batman on top of the sears tower in The Dark Knight. I love how wide that shot starts and the push in nature of it, and I love that I know that it's Christian Bale in the suit. I mean I think the hong kong shot was him as well, but it's the width of that one that's just insane. They're all amazing though. It's the realism of them that sets them apart. The Rises one has fantastic cape movement though. Good lord!

That can only be a shot form Batman Begins because that's the only shot he's actually looking over Gotham City instead of some generic city.
Nolan had the right ideas inplace with Begins:
-Batman = feared and anamalistic
-Gotham = is a fictional city unlike any other
-Batman and Gotham work best in the dark

If he stayed true to these principles in TDK and TDKR those movies would have been even better.

This is art form Begins:
batman-begins-gotham3.jpeg

And suddenly it's al gone...TDK felt like a reboot to me, so very different.

Going to go with number 4.

All of 'em rock but I'm going with number 3.

Nolan knew how to do great Batman shots.

Sadly, fig 1 -3 don't appear on my screen, so I can't speak to them.

Anyway, I'm going to go with Batman looking down over Hong Kong (as I said, not sure if it's one of the choices) from TDK. Sure it's not Gotham, but it still looks incredibly cool, and is Batman's best flight sequence.

batmandark-knight.jpg

( note: The shot of Batfleck overlooking Gotham in the B v S teaser is also extremely cool. )

Cheers.

Sadly, fig 1 -3 don't appear on my screen, so I can't speak to them.

Anyway, I'm going to go with Batman looking down over Hong Kong (as I said, not sure if it's one of the choices) from TDK. Sure it's not Gotham, but it still looks incredibly cool, and is Batman's best flight sequence.

batmandark-knight.jpg

( note: The shot of Batfleck overlooking Gotham in the B v S teaser is also extremely cool. )

Cheers.

Ironically, this 'Batman standing on top of a tall building in a city that is NOT Gotham' is also my favorite.

Yeah, the Hong Kong sequence in IMAX was breathtaking. The moment when Bruce jumps down and the camera pans down... :hmr:

I can't see #1-#3 on either my iPad or my PC. Can someone fix them?

I'll go with his first night as Batman in BB after taking out Falcone. That moment on top of the building was awesome. He really looked like a gargoyle in that particular shot.

That said, the Hong Kong stuff in IMAX was incredible too.

I'll go with his first night as Batman in BB after taking out Falcone. That moment on top of the building was awesome. He really looked like a gargoyle in that particular shot.

Yeah, it was so long ago that I forgot I first saw TDK in IMAX. The whole
HK sequence was fantastic in IMAX. My wife, who doesn't like Batman, actually enjoyed it, partially because the IMAX viewing really enhanced the experience.

Something else that looked great in IMAX was the sonar imaging during the final action sequence at the Prewitt building. Yeah, IMAX certainly made it quite a special viewing experience - apart from the fact that it's the best superhero movie ever, of course.

Was that really Bale standing in that suit overlooking the buildings or just stunt doubles?

TS, you gotta fix your originally post. I can't vote on what I can't see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"