• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

BvS Who is Miscast in this cinematic universe?

Obviously Lex Luthor was horribly miscast. Lois was slightly miscast. I think the rest were well cast.

I've never understood the complaint that Lois was miscast. Why, exactly? Because of her hair color?

I hope it's not solely based on looks, but Amy's performance has been rather soft. I see potential in her Lois, but I've never seen it fully realized.

Eisenberg doesn't have the range required for Lex. I think the Kathy Bates video wonderfully showed it is possible to go from goofy and wacky to legitimately threatening and terrifying. We never get that with Lex. The scenes that are meant to come off as scary or intimidating just seem like more goofiness, best exemplified with the ominous "The bell is ringing! Ring ring ring! RING RING RING!!!!" scene. They were going for unsettling or scary and it just didn't work.

I've never understood the complaint that Lois was miscast. Why, exactly? Because of her hair color?

Jessica Chastain is on my list as a potential good Lois.
I feel sorry for Jesse's Lex...I think he did good but he was just too far from the norm for people to accept. I knew as soon as that jolly rancher thing happened that there was no way he could be redeemed.

Last edited:
I hope it's not solely based on looks, but Amy's performance has been rather soft. I see potential in her Lois, but I've never seen it fully realized.

Pretty much my feelings at this point. Amy's good, but there hasn't really been anything stellar about her performances thus far.

As for Jesse's Lex, I love Jesse, but I have to agree that maybe he just doesn't have the range for it. I didn't mind his interpretation of Lex, but I definitely see why others were so put off by it.

Eisenberg doesn't have the range required for Lex. I think the Kathy Bates video wonderfully showed it is possible to go from goofy and wacky to legitimately threatening and terrifying. We never get that with Lex. The scenes that are meant to come off as scary or intimidating just seem like more goofiness, best exemplified with the ominous "The bell is ringing! Ring ring ring! RING RING RING!!!!" scene. They were going for unsettling or scary and it just didn't work.

Agreed.

Yeah, Eisenberg is a good actor but Lex just isn't in his wheelhouse. Granted, the writing was atrocious but his hammy performance made it 100 times worse.

It's not Eisenberg's fault. This was their unique, modern take on who Lex could be. And even if annoying (he's supposed to be), he's also intelligent, manipulative, wicked and down right creepy. And his actions at based on insecurities. He's a more entertaining version than I've ever seen. And no more bumbling, stupid real estate schemes.

Yeah, nothing against Eisenburg,he did his best, he was just miscast to begin with, I think. They were trying for this new, modern take, reflective of this new generation of young tech billionaires who do things their own way and don't wear suits to work and have basketball courts, yadda yadda. Thing is, it actually would've been so much more appropriate to their modern day allegory and probably well received to have a Trump-like powerful businessman who is getting involved in politics and wears one face to the public and another in private, who plays the calm, confident businessman "Lex For President", but there's a disturbing and frightening rage beneath if you push the wrong buttons or he doesn't get his way (like Forrest Whitaker's John Kavanaugh in The Shield), played by Daniel Day Lewis, for example.

Thing is, it actually would've been so much more appropriate to their modern day allegory and probably well received to have a Trump-like powerful businessman who is getting involved in politics and wears one face to the public and another in private, who plays the calm, confident businessman "Lex For President", but there's a disturbing and frightening rage beneath if you push the wrong buttons or he doesn't get his way (like Forrest Whitaker's John Kavanaugh in The Shield), played by Daniel Day Lewis, for example.

If you're talking about two face. One who pits sides against one another (racist and sexism) ... who is one way in public with a façade, but an egotistical wicked evil person behind close doors?

I think your comparison would be more accurate to career politician Hillary Clinton. Which is exactly how Lex is portrayed from BvS.

You always know where you stand with Trump, he wears his heart on his sleeve. And he doesn't hold his words in for better or worse, to tell you how he really feels.

Yeah, Eisenberg is a good actor but Lex just isn't in his wheelhouse. Granted, the writing was atrocious but his hammy performance made it 100 times worse.

Exactly. Bad performance to accompany bad writing. Terrible combo.

If you're talking about two face. One who pits sides against one another (racist and sexism) ... who is one way in public with a façade, but an egotistical wicked evil person behind close doors?

I think your comparison would be more accurate to career politician Hillary Clinton. Which is exactly how Lex is portrayed from BvS.

You always know where you stand with Trump, he wears his heart on his sleeve. And he doesn't hold his words in for better or worse, to tell you how he really feels.

I wasn't meaning to get political or trash on Trump or start a debate. I just didn't articulate it well. The Trump comparison was just the "powerful businessman who is getting involved in politics and running for President" The "two faces" part was only in reference to Luthor. Having Lex more like Trump than Zuckerberg. I think they could've taken advantage of the whole President Lex storyline from the comics. Have him running on a platform of protecting us against Superman and metahumans. They could've used that to really underscore Luthor's need to be adored and worshipped and his obsession with power, and his subsequent hatred of Superman. That would've fit perfectly with the whole theme of the public's perception on Superman's existence and what he should be allowed to do, and they still could have kept the tension between Lex and Senator Finch, maybe make her his opponent in the Presidential race. I think it would've fit into the overall story they're telling

Still not quite sold on J.K. Simmons as Gordon, I think he's a great actor and will probably do well, but I wasn't as excited when I found out who was cast as Gordon as I was hoping I'd be. After I saw somebody suggest it on here, I really had my hopes set on Kurt Russell. I believe I read he's cast for a future Marvel film, maybe GotG 2. I think he'd have made a great Gordon. Maybe when I see Simmons with the mustache and overcoat, I'll start to come around.

Last edited:
I think it's the fault of the writing and direction really.

Luthor on the other hand is the fault of the writing, direction, casting and performance.

It's not Eisenberg's fault. This was their unique, modern take on who Lex could be. And even if annoying (he's supposed to be), he's also intelligent, manipulative, wicked and down right creepy. And his actions at based on insecurities. He's a more entertaining version than I've ever seen. And no more bumbling, stupid real estate schemes.

Yes it is. He didn't read any comics and didn't know anything about the character.

Eisenberg played the role the exact way I feared he would.

I wanted cold, calm, and calculated.
I got spastic, hyperactive, and over-the-top.

There is a great Lex Luthor in Jesse Eisenberg, but it required him to go against type. Instead, he was content going with his usual shtick, only amplified times a hundred. It's a shame.

Last edited:
It's basically a performance where Eisenberg thought he was playing The Joker or The Riddler and Zack Snyder failed to tell him he was playing Lex Luthor. And yes, he is at fault for that.

If Eisenberg is back as Luthor and it's completely changed, the only reason its changed is because of the over-whelmingly negative reaction toward his performance.

Or, as seen by the end where Luthor gets his iconic bald head, the change will be because that's where Lex as a character was at the end of BvS? Lex is WAY more unhinged and apparently privy to some kind of cosmic information by the time we see him again after the Doomsday fight.

Also... I seem to recall Lex spending liteally DECADES being called a "Renegade Mad Scientist". A calculated schemer? Sure. But he's also been unhinged, often after his plans go awry.

I still will never get the Joker and Riddler comparisons.

Outside of some visual similarities, I don't get the comparison to Jim Carrey's Riddler either. Nor am I even reminded of The Joker all that much.

^ Neither am I. Jesse may not have gotten Lex 100% right but it's a huge jump to say he's anything like Carrey's Riddler or that he tried to evoke a more Joker-esque performance.

I loved Jesse . Strictly from a money standpoint I would have stuck Will smith in for a green lantern role and the rock as aquaman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"