• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is the greatest "world" sportsman of all time?

The hell are you smoking? Mr. Handball... :huh: ???

Maradona is the greatest of all time. When you think of soccer you think of maradona. Maradona has made the greatest goal in the history of soccer. As good as Jordan was he is not at the same level as Maradona. To this day Maradona attracts millions of people where ever he goes.

Not bigger, no, but, what they did was beat American league teams who were all white, allowing blacks and whites to play on an equal level. Without them you would perhaps not have had Jordan as the NBA would have been formed later. In many ways they caused its creation.

I still think that's a ******** reason, but I'll compromise and say that they did pave the way somewhat. Despite that, I'm positive Jordan would have played no matter what, I mean come on he is the best basketball player that ever lived.

But without Jordan, the NBA isn't close to what it is today. You can have every other suoerstar of and before Jordan's time and it wouldn't really make a difference, if there is no Jordan, the NBA is nowhere as big as it is today internationally and in the country. Individually, he has done more for his sport than than a Pele or a Mardonna has done for soccer. That's not taking anything away from those guys, but it's tough to pin it on one guy who brought the game into what it is today. In basketball, there is only one, that is Jordan. Is basketball the world's game? No way. No argument there. But the only reason basketball is even recognized and has a following outside of the US is due to Jordan.

I still think that's a ******** reason, but I'll compromise and say that they did pave the way somewhat. Despite that, I'm positive Jordan would have played no matter what, I mean come on he is the best basketball player that ever lived.

But without Jordan, the NBA isn't close to what it is today. You can have every other suoerstar of and before Jordan's time and it wouldn't really make a difference, if there is no Jordan, the NBA is nowhere as big as it is today internationally and in the country. Individually, he has done more for his sport than than a Pele or a Mardonna has done for soccer. That's not taking anything away from those guys, but it's tough to pin it on one guy who brought the game into what it is today. In basketball, there is only one, that is Jordan. Is basketball the world's game? No way. No argument there. But the only reason basketball is even recognized and has a following outside of the US is due to Jordan.

I actually watched the Globetrotters in Brighton England in 1979! I don't disagree Jordan did a lot for Basketball. That said, he is not the "worlds" greatest sportsman. He is nowhere near as recognisable worldwide as many of the others mentioned.

The hell are you smoking? Mr. Handball... :huh: ???
It's the Hand of God.

The thing is, he was good. Good enough that he didn't have to use that Hand of God. Didn't he know that Hands are not allowed in FOOTball?

I actually watched the Globetrotters in Brighton England in 1979! I don't disagree Jordan did a lot for Basketball. That said, he is not the "worlds" greatest sportsman. He is nowhere near as recognisable worldwide as many of the others mentioned.

Even saying that is grossly understating Jordan. Mercy..

Maradona is the greatest of all time. When you think of soccer you think of maradona. Maradona has made the greatest goal in the history of soccer. As good as Jordan was he is not at the same level as Maradona. To this day Maradona attracts millions of people where ever he goes.
I dunno, I associate Maradona with soccer but not the other way round. He's one of the greatest footballers but I wouldn't say he's THE greatest.

Greatest World Sportsman of all time?

I'd have to go with
33-65453-F.jpg

Michael Jordan would be high on my list and maybe #1 on my greatest American sportsman list

With futbol the only person i ever knew until recently when friends started to get me into it was Pele

I'd have Gretzky as the face of Hockey but no one cares about Hockey :o

And have to mention Joe 4 Super Bowl victories Montana

Those are my top 5 I guess

Not in any particular order:

Ali
Jordan
Gretzky
Tony Hawk
Pele
Babe Ruth

<---------Banned for not mentioning the Great Bambino :(

Michael Johnson. One of the best athlete's In us history.

Not in any particular order:

Ali
Jordan
Gretzky
Tony Hawk
Pele
Babe Ruth

Hahahaha. That's like one of those questions you get on a standardized test:

Which one does not belong?

Hahahaha. That's like one of those questions you get on a standardized test:

Which one does not belong?
Well? What's your answer? You get 10 points for the right answer. Exiled if you choose the wrong one so choose wisely.

Well? What's your answer? You get 10 points for the right answer. Exiled if you choose the wrong one so choose wisely.

This post makes you sound like your protecting the Grail in the Last Crusade :woot:

I'm thinking non-Americans, not having checked the first page and Pele is the first name that pops to mind. Though Gretzky was great and I don't even like hockey much.

Jerry... try leaving the country once in your life... then get a better feel of where Jordan stacks up with the great soccer players that have lived... he's probably in my top five but no way is he number one... ofcourse you don't give a sh:t about soccer... neither do I... but you just have to realize... 75% of the countries outside the US don't give a sh:t about anything BUT soccer. If you wanted an American Sportsman thread... I'll be the first to put guys like Jordan, Ruth, etc. on the list.

Jerry... try leaving the country once in your life... then get a better feel of where Jordan stacks up with the great soccer players that have lived... he's probably in my top five but no way is he number one... ofcourse you don't give a sh:t about soccer... neither do I... but you just have to realize... 75% of the countries outside the US don't give a sh:t about anything BUT soccer. If you wanted an American Sportsman thread... I'll be the first to put guys like Jordan, Ruth, etc. on the list.

I agree totally, I even made this kind of point when I started the thread.

Let's avoid sports that are really only specific to certain nations of regions. So we'll have to exclude my favourite sport Rugby, along with Cricket and most American sports like Baseball, Gridiron etc.

I'm talking about the guys who are recognisable anywhere;

Pele
Ali
Tyson
Woods
Borg

etc.

So of the greatest players in the world. Who is the greatest. Choose from any era. You can only choose one. Please also give the justification for your choice. I will total up choices and give results periodically.

Jerry! I don't dispute Jordan's greatness, it's as Fat Tonie (great name from a great show by the way) said, it's in a sport of limited exposure my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"