• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Who owns the rights to the Kingpin?

Ah, right, I had forgotten about Mutant X. Granted, that's a more clear cut case than I was really pondering ( seriously, it totally was an X-Men clone intended to bypass the rights issue ), but clearly Fox considered their rights to encompass live action TV.

Can someone clarify something for me regarding Mutant X? I had always heard Mutant X was supposed to originally spin-off of the first X-Men film---(I've read a few things over the years that originally the characters would wear uniforms, had code names, etc.)...but FOX and the lawsuits started and most of the X-Related stuff was scrapped and changed with the only thing somewhat remaining was that the team had their version of the "X-Jet"......I due remember the first season had a disclaimer with regards to X-Men though.

quick question, Fox owns theatrical rights to the x-men characters, but do those rights extend to previous written material, namely Days of future past. or do they just get to say "we are going to take any x-men comic story we want and use it" surely if Disney wanted to they could put a stop to any story that has been used in "comic" form. Personally I would like to see Disney drag Fox into court over this right after the movie is finished filming, As far has i'm concerned, Fox has done nothing of note with the X-men franchise. X2 being the biggest exception, and First Class was ok (can anyone say S.h.i.e.l.d. in disguise???) Call me a hater, but I have never been a fan of Fox.

They can use anything X-Men related, including storylines.

They can use anything X-Men related, including storylines.

so why doesn't Disney just kill the X-men in printed form? the books created interest in the films, so without the books, people would eventually lose interest

so why doesn't Disney just kill the X-men in printed form? the books created interest in the films, so without the books, people would eventually lose interest

There's minimal overlap between the comic book reading audience and the movie-going public. Stopping publication of X Men books would cut off a small, but steady revenue stream for Disney/Marvel and upset loyal readers without having any impact on movie rights.

Disney controls the merchandise rights for the X-Men films, so you won't see the shelves stacked with merchandise or the valuable corporate tie-ins we've seen in the MCU films and Man of Steel. The X films peaked back in 2006, and Disney/Marvel's best play is to hope the box office drop continues with The Wolverine (I think it will), and that Days of Future Past doesn't revitalize the franchise.

There's minimal overlap between the comic book reading audience and the movie-going public. Stopping publication of X Men books would cut off a small, but steady revenue stream for Disney/Marvel and upset loyal readers without having any impact on movie rights.

Disney controls the merchandise rights for the X-Men films, so you won't see the shelves stacked with merchandise or the valuable corporate tie-ins we've seen in the MCU films and Man of Steel. The X films peaked back in 2006, and Disney/Marvel's best play is to hope the box office drop continues with The Wolverine (I think it will), and that Days of Future Past doesn't revitalize the franchise.

the only problem is that Fox (through a rep) has stated that if the x-men movies start to lose money, they would make a low budget movie, show it in 1 theater and then send it to home video just to maintain the rights. which is just dirty. now if Disney did kill them off in comics, they could weather the loss, without x-men comics, Disney will be just fine. The fan backlash would be directed at Disney at first, but would eventually fall on Fox and I believe they would cave.

I'm fine if Marvel Comics stop releasing X-Men comics. They are too many issues to follow and the stories aren't even that great.

the only problem is that Fox (through a rep) has stated that if the x-men movies start to lose money, they would make a low budget movie, show it in 1 theater and then send it to home video just to maintain the rights. which is just dirty. now if Disney did kill them off in comics, they could weather the loss, without x-men comics, Disney will be just fine. The fan backlash would be directed at Disney at first, but would eventually fall on Fox and I believe they would cave.

It was rumored FOX would do this, but that was before the Disney purchase. There is not a theater owner in the world who would get involved in a Disney IP dispute and risk being banned from showing Disney, Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars films.

Also, depending on how the contract was written, that might constitute grounds for Marvel/Disney to sue to revoke the contract. It certainly would be bad faith, and also would likely violate the rules on what they have to do to count as "in production." While Fox may have been willing to do that previously, figuring that they could crush Marvel in any legal fight, that isn't the case any more obviously.

Its complicated check out this link for the info it pretty much sums it up: http://marveldcforum.com/index.php?topic=145.0

this story was already posted on another site about a year and half ago.

since then, Daredevil, Blade, and Ghost Rider are all back at Marvel/Disney.

so fox is down to X-Men and Fantastic Four, fox just hired Mark Milllar to oversee their "own" shared universe which will fail, fox will get nothing on the merchandise side of things, the last official toy they made for an "x" movie was through mini-mates for first class, which was a tru exclusive and doesnt really count has "mass" market. regardless of what hard core fan boys want to say, the x-men movies have been only "slightly" successful (none have gone over 300 million domestically or over 500 million worldwide. for comparison, the worst spiderman movie did 300+/700+) I think its only a matter before we start seeing some crossovers, because everybody wants to get paid and with no merchandising money to cover a an advertising campaign, fox will give up first, i mean really 150 mil dom bo may seem like a lot of money, but its nothing when the movies budget was over 100 mil. the x movies profits have shrank since 3, and with sony having no merchadise money, spiderman will follow suit, my predictions:

fantastic four (going up against avengers 2 and possibly justice league) marvel gets them back in 2016

xmen (wolverine will tank, xdofp will see xfc numbers at best, and if fox will not share characters and give the FANS what they want)

after 2 more flops fox will cave in 2015

if sony doesnt reach out to disney (like they did prior to avengers)
i see spiderman coming home after amazing 2.........but i dont think sony will be that stupid.

please keep insults and spell checking to yourselves

Kingpin is a shared entity.

However, unlike previously where the rights were shared by 2 studios OTHER than Marvel, the rights are now held jointly by Marvel and Sony, and like the rights for Pietro and Wanda, its really up to who uses it first, though either can use the rights.

for whatever it's worth, I'm not sure how Kingpin fits thematically with the Avengers' typical threats. Even with the individual members, at best, he'd maybe be a villain for Capt. America, with Fisk being involved in some multinational criminal scheme but hiding behind his legal businesses.

for whatever it's worth, I'm not sure how Kingpin fits thematically with the Avengers' typical threats. Even with the individual members, at best, he'd maybe be a villain for Capt. America, with Fisk being involved in some multinational criminal scheme but hiding behind his legal businesses.

He's needed for Daredevil.

Yeah, Kingpin is mainly important for Daredevil. He has other usages, but they are contingent on the audience already knowing him as "that evil crimelord Daredevil fights."

So who would be a good person to cast as Fisk?

I don't think there's a way of realistically depicting Fisk's traditional girth without prosthetics and/or CGI.. and when it comes to this hyper-fascination that folks have with John Goodman... sigh, he's an excellent actor, but I don't automatically think he's "perfect" for the role just because, well, he's an upper-middle aged white guy with a belly..

if you're going with prosthetics then i say Kelsey Grammar

Can someone clarify something for me regarding Mutant X? I had always heard Mutant X was supposed to originally spin-off of the first X-Men film---(I've read a few things over the years that originally the characters would wear uniforms, had code names, etc.)...but FOX and the lawsuits started and most of the X-Related stuff was scrapped and changed with the only thing somewhat remaining was that the team had their version of the "X-Jet"......I due remember the first season had a disclaimer with regards to X-Men though.
Funny how they did a lawsuit against Mutant X but not Heroes

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"