Why is making a good Superman movie so hard?

Unfortunately, Jenkins was the only one to listen.

Something I wouldn't mind getting a general opinion on: If the next cinematic take on Superman had the the trunks would that be a positive or a negative for most people? I'm only asking because I get the vibe that bringing them back in the comics didn't go down as well as DC probably hoped.

Wouldn’t hate it, but I feel like it’d be a step back. I’ve gotten used to them being gone, and even as a defender of them in the past, I didn’t miss them.

I think there's a general sense that we as an audience has gotten "used" to not seeing them, given how even the current CW iteration (one that is often trumpeted as the "good" representation) does not wear them. I'm also of a mind that having brought them back in the comics (even with the more modern "sheen" of the current shield and cuffs) adds an antiquated notion to the look. A label the character has been loathe to shed of late.

However, I will say that any argument that starts with the trunks being a central focus of the character and its relation to big screen success is doomed to missing the point.

it isn't hard to write. it just needs a heart to write one. they just need to write and show why superman is the greatest superheroes of all.
I have written 2 scripts since JL last year, worrying that WB will not proceed for MOS 2. It became a reality anyway.

one called: MOS 2: Hope Lives; with Brainiac, Lex Luthor and Samuel Lane as the villains
one called MOS 2: Entering Apokolips; Apokolips are the villains apparently.

Willi Berg has read both and really like them.

anyone interested to read, can pm me or email me. [email protected].

the English is a bit poor though.

I really want a new Superman film. I have great ideas, and they really need to make this movie because everyone wants it and they think the opposite.

But in terms of this topic, I've said what I had to say. You can search for them if you wish. I still stand by it.

However, I will say that any argument that starts with the trunks being a central focus of the character and its relation to big screen success is doomed to missing the point.

I think the costume does play a large part here, honestly. His ridiculous costume is what keeps me from really ever liking Superman - I mean, it's just hard not to laugh when you see him flying around in that gaudy blue and red outfit like that. I felt the same way about Cap's original outfit, and Iron-Man's original outfit, so this is not a Marvel vs DC thing - it's an observation that the "iconic" Superman outfit might need to be updated in order to successfully sell a reboot. Capes are so outdated. And the giant logo emblazoned on his chest :whatever: It's like he's a walking advertisement for himself. A superhero doesn't need to be that obvious! Wonder Woman's WW symbol is much more sophisticated and less flashy, and doesn't look like it's screaming "I am Wonder Woman!" at the world. I like Aquaman's A-symbol, even though it's a bit dull, because it looks more natural. Superman's S does not, at least not to me.

I think the costume does play a large part here, honestly. His ridiculous costume is what keeps me from really ever liking Superman - I mean, it's just hard not to laugh when you see him flying around in that gaudy blue and red outfit like that. I felt the same way about Cap's original outfit, and Iron-Man's original outfit, so this is not a Marvel vs DC thing - it's an observation that the "iconic" Superman outfit might need to be updated in order to successfully sell a reboot. Capes are so outdated. And the giant logo emblazoned on his chest :whatever: It's like he's a walking advertisement for himself. A superhero doesn't need to be that obvious! Wonder Woman's WW symbol is much more sophisticated and less flashy, and doesn't look like it's screaming "I am Wonder Woman!" at the world. I like Aquaman's A-symbol, even though it's a bit dull, because it looks more natural. Superman's S does not, at least not to me.
:dry:
hqdefault.jpg

I think in terms of a post that completely misses the point of Superman, this is the champ.

I think in terms of a post that completely misses the point of Superman, this is the champ.

I'm glad you think so. Where's my trophy? :D But I think you will continue to be watching very bad Superman movies for a long time (assuming they ever make anymore) - and it'll be because of that costume. Subconsciously, you can't take him seriously. It gets in the way. It interferes with our suspension of disbelief.
Just my opinion. We agree to disagree on this, clearly. :cwink:

I don’t understand why people who don’t like Superman in the first place care about his movies, what he wears, or what happens to him.

JJ Abrams's Superman, with select rewrites, best Superman movie never made. Perfectly imperfect. It's not harder to make a Superman film, they just have lousy instincts for who to hire. If, instead of letting Ratner, McG and Peters run the project into the ground, WB had given Abrams his first non-TV director's chair just a few years before Paramount did with MI3, they would've made Superman into the bankable property that, over a decade later, it still isn't. Sorrynotsorry.

3qoG3fV.jpg

FluNnKl.jpg

NzevolP.jpg

It feels like Abrams. They'd probably punch it up a little if made now.

It feels like Abrams. They'd probably punch it up a little if made now.

It's basically the Man of Steel blueprint in broad strokes. And you can tell they read it before writing MOS. I think if anything they'd have to punch it down. A bit over-crazy w the action.

JJ would be a good fit to direct superman. But that script needed to go imo.

think you will continue to be watching very bad Superman movies for a long time (assuming they ever make anymore) - and it'll be because of that costume. Subconsciously, you can't take him seriously. It gets in the way. It interferes with our suspension of disbelief.

Superman doesn’t want to be taken seriously.

He wears that costume you think is so goofy, precisely because he doesn’t want to look cool, or edgy. He’s trying to look as friendly as possible. Just like Spidey.

The big silly S on the front of his chest is meant to inspire hope and a sense of safety and protection - not make you sit there and think it’s cool.

They’ll keep making bad Superman movies like the last three all the time they have the same opinion as you do about his suit... because it totally misses the point of who Superman is.

He isn’t serious. He isn’t ‘cool’. He isn’t modern. He isn’t edgy.

He’s ****ing Superman.

Last edited:
Superman doesn’t want to be taken seriously.

Okay, but the general audience wants to be able to, if they're gonna buy into his storyline and willingly suspend their disbelief.

JJ would be a good fit to direct superman. But that script needed to go imo.
That July 2002 draft, I'd agree. But the October 2003 version, that ditched the Kryptonian Lex angle and the "Kryptonian fu" fight scenes? Nah, that would've been my favorite Superman movie easily.

Okay, but the general audience wants to be able to, if they're gonna buy into his storyline and willingly suspend their disbelief.

You think the general audience wants to take Superman seriously?

When the only successful Superman movies have been pretty damn light hearted and fun?

You think people didn’t suspend their disbelief for Reeve? Because I’m very sure they did it a lot more for him than they ever did for Cavill.

The costume is not the problem.

That July 2002 draft, I'd agree. But the October 2003 version, that ditched the Kryptonian Lex angle and the "Kryptonian fu" fight scenes? Nah, that would've been my favorite Superman movie easily.
Dang I guess I need to read that script

My god

When you ignore someone you don’t see their posts even if someone quotes them.

Maybe this new forum layout is a good thing :funny:

Superman does want to be taken seriously. What he doesn’t want is to be considered is threatening or intimidating.

That’s a good way to put it, yes. My point was that he’s not concerned with things like how serious his costume is :D

That’s a good way to put it, yes. My point was that he’s not concerned with things like how serious his costume is :D
Doesn’t he want to be BADASS though?
He should’ve just thrown that costume in the trash as soon as his mother made it for him :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"