• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Justice League Will There Ever Be A Solo Superman Film After Justice League?

I am still sure that WB will make a another Superman movie, it may surprise some of you but it will happen, but for that announcement, Superman fans will have to wait till JL Part-1 is over.

I am still sure that WB will make a another Superman movie, it may surprise some of you but it will happen, but for that announcement, Superman fans will have to wait till JL Part-1 is over.

O4PKE1x.gif

Agreed. Honestly, I hope BvS proved to everyone else that Superman just isn't safe whenever placed in a film with Batman.
I never had a doubt that Batman would shine in BvS but I also didn't expect Snyder to **** on Superman's characterisation he himself built up in MOS. He's so willing to sacrifice that confident & commanding & self-assured Superman just for the sake of fitting him into Batman's world. He let his personal bias got a better of him which was shamelessly unprofessional.

I wish I have your optimism. I can't afford to have any at the moment. It hurts less to give up all the hope and stop expecting anything though.
:csad:

I never had a doubt that Batman would shine in BvS but I also didn't expect Snyder to **** on Superman's characterisation he himself built up in MOS. He's so willing to sacrifice that confident & commanding & self-assured Superman just for the sake of fitting him into Batman's world. He let his personal bias got a better of him which was shamelessly unprofessional.

I wish I have your optimism. I can't afford to have any at the moment. It hurts less to give up all the hope and stop expecting anything though.
:csad:

Snyder did nothing to Superman's character the comics haven't already done...before Donner's Superman. There is more than one way to portray him and I sick of having purist trying to force every portrayal to be the same portrayal.
Superman questions himself all the time. Again and again and again. When do I intervene? How often do I intervene? What will happen if I do? When do I sit back and do nothing? What are the repercussions of these actions? Are they acceptable? Can I live with them? Do I have the right to do this?
Superman recieved his own version of "with great power speech,' long before Spiderman was ever written and it applies to him even more since he is so much more powerful.
He is so powerful he has to let people die. People who were merely born in the wrong country. People shot dead in a turf war because he decided it was outside his rights to destroy every gun in the world. Or those who died simply because he was Clark Kent at the time.
Yet people want him flying around with a smile on his face, carefree and confident in his every decision. Only a psychopath could behave like that.

Snyder did nothing to Superman's character the comics haven't already done...before Donner's Superman. There is more than one way to portray him and I sick of having purist trying to force every portrayal to be the same portrayal.
Superman questions himself all the time. Again and again and again. When do I intervene? How often do I intervene? What will happen if I do? When do I sit back and do nothing? What are the repercussions of these actions? Are they acceptable? Can I live with them? Do I have the right to do this?
Superman recieved his own version of "with great power speech,' long before Spiderman was ever written and it applies to him even more since he is so much more powerful.
He is so powerful he has to let people die. People who were merely born in the wrong country. People shot dead in a turf war because he decided it was outside his rights to destroy every gun in the world. Or those who died simply because he was Clark Kent at the time.
Yet people want him flying around with a smile on his face, carefree and confident in his every decision. Only a psychopath could behave like that.

Honestly, I don't think anyone here wanted to see a version of Superman where he's always shown smiling and carefree.

The problem with BvS was that there wasn't much room for levity to balance out all of the burden and struggles that Superman was facing. And it didn't really help that the film's atmosphere and tone was so serious to downright dark/depressing.

And this isn't to start a Marvel vs DC argument, but I take "Winter Soldier" as an good example of how to handle inherently good superheroes like Superman and Captain America.

Steve Rogers was questioning his place in the modern day world and was shown having his own inner turmoil in that film. But they allowed breathing room for some sense of levity and balance in terms of presentation, which was why it worked.

Then you also have to consider the timing of this arc for Superman. At the end of "MOS", we finally see Clark completely embrace his new role as Superman. And yet, we're thrown directly back into Clark being unsure of himself and his role in the world, where the only time he finds peace and confidence in his actions is when he decides to sacrifice himself.

Precisely. :up: I totally like how Superman is approached from a more realistic perspective. How he evolves. How his views are challenged and what comes out of it.

Exactly. I have read plenty of Superman comics where Superman questions his own actions and feels guilt for the people he cannot save. While he is powerful he can't be everywhere at once and this is the stuff which gets him down in the comics and its the same with the movie.

I loved the moment in BvS on the balcony with Lois where he is questioning why he didn't notice the bomb or even look for it.

Some of my favourite Superman story's are the darker ones where he doesn't smile and questions himself. So getting that version in the movies is something I am loving at the moment. I have cited Sacrifice, For Tomorrow and Camelot Falls numerous times. And they are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. The Imperiex War was probably another.

We have had the brighter version before so getting this version now really is refreshing for me.

Last edited:

I sir, stand and applaud this! very well put and I agree 100%

I think there will be one. I want it to be directed by Michael Vaughn

This is just a personal opinion, but I don't think WB knows for sure one way or another whether there will be another Solo Supes film. I think they've put all of their Superman eggs into the BvS and JL baskets, and are putting off making any decisions about what to do with the character until they see how these next few DC films play out.

Also, I think the decision to give Batman a very significant role in the follow up to MOS is... very telling.

I know people like Ron Howard, Alfonso Cuaron, Brad Bird get tossed around a lot.
Here are some relatively new directors/(less talked about for Superman) I'd like to see,

Alex Garland- Ex Machina
Joe Cornish - Attack the Block
Rick Famuyiwa - Dope
Jenifer Kent - Babadook
Dean DeBlois - guy behind Lilo & Stitch/Mulan (writer)/How to train your dragon series
Christopher McQuarrie - Mission Impossible 5

Oooohhh...McQuarrie.

Left field choice that'll never happen: Duplass Bros.

I think that at least one thing is clear, any future in-continuity Solo Superman movie that happens will be exploring brand-new ground with the character. In MOS and BvS, Snyder and Co. did their (ever-so-brief) take on the classic mythology everyone knows, with the dual identity and most of the usual supporting cast of characters and all that. But with how BvS ended, I think it's clear they won't be going back to any of that, which will be a first for cinematic Superman.

At least we'll finally get a full solo movie of Superman past the learning stage of his career. "Superman not being Superman" was something that was cool in MOS because it was an origin story, but I think it was wrong to continue it in BVS.

Thing is mate, you're right... that is Superman - spread over 75 years.

The GA isn't privvy to that - the GA just sees the pop icon that is superman, blazoned across t shirts, lunch boxes, on cheesy saturday morning cartoons, the 70's and 80's movies.

The GA isn't going to watch Batman Vs Superman twice, to understand the layers.

Captain America has pretty much taken over what superman once was, in the GA eyes as the all american hero. Snyder's vision tried to do something different.

They didn't let us share his glory and struggles. We didn't see Clark being a character in the office, we couldn't feel his sorrow or loneliness, we didn't get to share the joy he had when he was 'himself' as dupes around lois or jimmy - instead we just saw him how the world did, as a god.

It feels like the 'spear' moment was a rebirth - that superman came out that pool, realizing what his father meant. It felt like a homage to the donnerverse, where he had it around his neck. Clark told lois she was his world, that earth was his home, he pretty much copied his fathers lines. He had the spit curl, he didn't want anyone else to do the deed, incase they got hurt - he became superman.

It's just a shame it was right at the end.

JL needs to bring him back at the start and let us see him happy, i honestly cannot cope with a movie where for 60% he isn't what we know as 'superman' only for a finale where he returns then have to wait another 18 months. That would be 3 films of a vision i don't truly care for.

If there is another solo Supes film it has to have a new director, I'd rather have no Supes film than a Snyder directed Supes film. He just doesn't deserve to touch that character again, not after giving us the mopey, downbeat mute that we saw in BvS.

A new film starring Superman and directed by someone like George Miller or Edgar Wright would really get me back onside

Right now, I don't imagine WB has enough to think a new solo won't be devoured by competition on its 2nd weekend, as has happened twice in a row; or that it will encourage enough business to justify the budget it'd need to be worth the effort, or to impress as favorably as it would need to. The property's been turned into a losing horse.

If there is another solo Supes film it has to have a new director, I'd rather have no Supes film than a Snyder directed Supes film. He just doesn't deserve to touch that character again, not after giving us the mopey, downbeat mute that we saw in BvS.

A new film starring Superman and directed by someone like George Miller or Edgar Wright would really get me back onside

Cry me a river. Snyder is directing Superman again in JL.

Cry me a river. Snyder is directing Superman again in JL.

I'm well aware, probably the reason it won't get a big opening weekend like BvS.

It'll be the studio bosses and a whole lot of dedicated fans crying when that bombs too. At least you'll love it though

Honestly, I don't think anyone here wanted to see a version of Superman where he's always shown smiling and carefree.

The problem with BvS was that there wasn't much room for levity to balance out all of the burden and struggles that Superman was facing. And it didn't really help that the film's atmosphere and tone was so serious to downright dark/depressing.

Then you also have to consider the timing of this arc for Superman. At the end of "MOS", we finally see Clark completely embrace his new role as Superman. And yet, we're thrown directly back into Clark being unsure of himself and his role in the world, where the only time he finds peace and confidence in his actions is when he decides to sacrifice himself.

I particularly enjoyed the questioning of Superman's sense of responsibility and what he SHOULD do against what he CAN do.

I remember even Singer stating that you wonder how to challenge Superman, because of his great power. That is how we got the other guy in Lois's life and the kid. Because they wanted to sidestep his powers.

But both MOS and BvS instead tackle it directly and state, yes, he has all this power, but what difference can it really make in a more realistic world? What can he do or not do and what is the cost of each, both on the large scale and the personal scale? These movies have tackled bravely the REAL challenge of Superman's powers, both for the world and for Clark Kent. THAT is what makes them memorable for me.

However, the execution could have been so much better.

Lex states, regarding the conflict he set up: Day versus Night.

However, how many of Superman's heroic actions were set in clear day? How many were brightly lit scenes? Even those set in daytime were always under overcast skills, or smoke-filled, or depressing situations were Superman was not really making much of a difference. Why was the tugging of the stranded ship a night time scene???? THAT was a mistake.

Lex speaks of an antipodal dichotomy, but the movie did not previously establish it strongly enough.

Just having a montage of Superman doing brightly lit heroics would have done wonders. Hey, maybe even showcase some in that fashion early in the movie, and then contrast it with the more problematic ones later, showing how Clark was growing more and more uneasy with how the world perceived him. It would have made his arc more compelling.

I love the movie. The arc is there. I can see it. I can understand it, and appreciate it. I applaud the creators for having gone in this direction instead of the easier paths.

But I understand why it seemed muddled for others, and why it hurt the overall work and its appreciation.

Last edited:

I don't know about Miller, his comments on his superman and the concept art showing superman and ww fighting, I think we'd just get a better executed downbeat mute.

But I am with you on no film being better, the character can't take another snyder driven film, hopefully JL redeems him a bit, or at least doesn't muck it up further.

I'm praying to Zod that Snyder doesn't ruin Superman further

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"