Justice League Ben Affleck Offered to Direct Justice League

FilmNerdJamie

Obtainer of wrong opinions!
Reaction score
WB eyeing Ben Affleck to direct 'Justice League'
Thesp also mulling offer to topline Greg Berlanti's 'Replay'
By Jeff Sneider, Variety Staff

With Christopher Nolan declaring himself out of the running for "Justice League," Warner Bros. has approached another of its go-to directors in Ben Affleck, who's expected to discuss the project with studio brass in the coming days, multiple sources tell Variety.

Since guiding WB's "The Town" to commercial success and critical acclaim from both sides of the camera, Affleck has ascended high on the studio's list of filmmakers who can be trusted with prime properties. Thus far, Affleck is the only candidate who's been sent Will Beall's "Justice League" script, which the "Gangster Squad" scribe was hired to write last summer.

DC Comics' answer to Marvel's Avengers, "Justice League" is expected to bring together marquee characters Batman and Superman, as well as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and The Flash. Affleck has made it clear that he's only interested in directing films in which he also stars -- "The Town" and "Argo" are proof of that -- so its likely that if this pairing ever came to fruition, he would don a suit of his own. DC Entertainment, Warner Bros. and Affleck's reps declined to comment.

While Affleck has shown an aptitude for mid-budget movies, he's poised to prove he can handle a nine-figure budget like other actors-turned-directors Jon Favreau ("Iron Man") and Kenneth Branagh ("Thor").

One possible hesitation on Affleck's part is that any involvement with "Justice League" would take him out of circulation as a director for a few years. He could, however, still fit in an acting gig at Warners.

Affleck has spent the last several weeks mulling an offer to star in topline Greg Berlanti's long-gestating sci-fi drama "Replay," which WB has spent more than a decade developing. Based on Ken Grimwood's 1987 bestseller, story follows a man who dies and gets the chance to relive his life over and over again, changing partners and professions each time.

As a director, Affleck is also keen to bring another epic adaptation to the bigscreen: Stephen King's "The Stand," a potential two-part pic that will be a co-production between CBS Films and Warners. Should Affleck sign on for "Justice League," it remains unclear whether WB would wait for him to move forward on "The Stand" or bring on another filmmaker.

Warner Bros. took control of DC Comics in 2009, folding the comicbook company into the studio and re-launching it as DC Entertainment to better manage how its characters wind up on the big and small screens. The CW will air "Arrow," based on the Green Arrow character this fall, but the studio hasn't greenlit any new films since "Man of Steel," which bows summer 2013. Other pics based on Wonder Woman and the Flash also are in development, but are only in script stages.

"Justice League" won't likely be ready for release until summer 2015, which could put it up right against Marvel's "Avengers 2," which has Joss Whedon returning to helm.

Since making his directorial debut in 2007 with "Gone Baby Gone," Affleck has been balancing acting and directing duties. After "The Town," he signed on to work with Terrence Malick on "To the Wonder" before returning to Warners for "Argo," which preems at Toronto next month. Multihyphenate recently wrapped New Regency's online gambling pic "Runner, Runner," and is also developing a movie about Boston crime boss Whitey Bulger with fellow "Good Will Hunting" Oscar winner Matt Damon.

Affleck is repped by WME and Ziffren, Brittenham.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057612

I just saw this on /film. Interesting indeed.

He was apparently the favored pick for MOS but due to the time constraints Affleck backed out. I guess they'll offer him a good chunk of time with JL so he may consider it.

Well he's an awesome director so I'm honestly not against this. If anyone can make a standalone JL movie work I guess it would be Affleck.

I will say it's mighty suspect that this comes our right at the heels of Disney confirming Joss Whedon for The Avengers 2.

[insert Daredevil joke here]

Wow, didn't see this coming. I'd be interested to see what he had to say.

I like Affleck. But I think i'd be more interesting in his other projects than him specifically doing Justice Leauge

Titus Welliver as Martian Manhunter! :awesome:

Money on Affleck casting himself as Wayne/Batman. :p

He's a fantastic director, but an awful actor. He'd be an inspired choice to direct, but if he HAS to also star then I say pass...

Maybe it he gets to cast Casey he'll stay behind the camera.

But in seriousness, he actually is a good actor, providing the right role.

He's not an awful actor by any means, if push comes to shove, cast him as Barry Allen/The Flash.

Affleck was one of many offered The Man of Steel. Once again, WB wants to stay inhouse for their big properties.

You know I wasn't excited at all about this project because I don't think it's a good idea of having different actors play the same characters. It would confuse audiences and create a fuddled mess but I honestly believe that Affleck could make it work just based on how strong of a writer he is and the visual flair that his movies have. The guy is a solid package when it comes to both writing and directing.

Affleck has really elevated my excitement from non existent to curiously optimistic.

I love Affleck. I really do. However, I think JLA might be too big for him right now. I'd like to see him do a more "street level" hero like Daredevil (coming full circle), Batman, Green Arrow, etc first.

^That's what they said about Joss Whedon as well handling The Avengers, right?

I was going to say I preferred him going smaller and correcting the crapfest that was DD by directing it but If he's the one interested with a vision already in his head and not just a name WB is going after then go for it.

He's got a fantastic record for directing and writing, The Town and Gone Baby Gone are up there with some of my favorite crime dramas so I'm down.

Also if he did have a part in the film, I want it to be only one person...
[YT]HU3C0Vv0FeA[/YT]

He's got a fantastic record for directing and writing, The Town and Gone Baby Gone are up there with some of my favorite crime dramas so I'm down.

Also if he did have a part in the film, I want it to be only one person...
[YT]HU3C0Vv0FeA[/YT]
That there shows how great of an actor Affleck can be. I know some think he isn't but given the right material the guy is ace.

I like the choice but don't see this as the type of project Affleck would accept. If he does I would be surprised.

So a 2015 release? So I am assuming this movie won't have any solo films building up to it? Would Cavill's Superman be the Superman in this? What is WB's strategy here? I doubt one even exists. Just throw whatever **** up at the wall and see what sticks.

So I wonder if he has changed his mindset now regard big-budget movies since he did backed out of the shortlist for MOS since he wasn't willing to tackle a big-scale project back then. Anyway Affleck has proven himself to be a good director, still am not a huge fan of his acting though but he's certainly a worthy contender to get the gig.

:hmm Intersting...

I like the idea of Affleck directing, his directing capabilities has been pretty darn good so far imo. He would certainly bring a level of "grittiness" that WB seems to be going for and I think he is capable of putting together a good cast.

Hopefully he accepts.

Hmm. While I like him as a director (and as an actor if given the right script), a film of this magnitude seems like a huge leap. He's certainly not a "safe" choice but he sure is an intriguing one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"