Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

But weren’t there some complaints about Zimmer/Jenkins recycling John Murphy’s “Adagio in D Minor” (from the movie Sunshine)?

I always assumed that it was a matter of professional etiquette and respect that one film composer wouldn’t use another’s original score (except in obvious instances of parody, etc.). But Wikipedia tells me that “Adagio in D Minor” has been used in some other movies and TV shows — including The Lovely Bones and The Walking Dead. Also, in many commercials and trailers. But that type of “borrowing”/licensing is pretty standard.

But weren’t there some complaints about Zimmer/Jenkins recycling John Murphy’s “Adagio in D Minor” (from the movie Sunshine)?

I always assumed that it was a matter of professional etiquette and respect that one film composer wouldn’t use another’s original score (except in obvious instances of parody, etc.). But Wikipedia tells me that “Adagio in D Minor” has been used in some other movies and TV shows — including The Lovely Bones and The Walking Dead. Also, in many commercials and trailers. But that type of “borrowing”/licensing is pretty standard.
So? That has zero impact on how great the stuff he DID score was. Like you say, that kind of licensing is pretty standard.

So? That has zero impact on how great the stuff he DID score was. Like you say, that kind of licensing is pretty standard.
I meant that using movie music for commercials, trailers and ice skating routines was standard. But reusing music from one movie into another is... unusual.

I shall defer to your assessment that the original parts of Zimmer’s score are excellent. I’ve only seen WW84 once. In terms of its music, I only remember the (now-familiar) WW “theme” and Murphy’s Adagio. And the latter I found distracting because its power and beauty properly belong to another movie.

No it isn't...in fact it happens quite a lot if you really listen. Composers seem to borrow from each other a lot. (or at least that is what I hear)

Yeah, and “Adagio in D Minor” is almost more famous for its use in Kick-Ass than it is for its original film. Every now and then I hear a great piece of music from one film used in another. I’ve never once considered it a knock on that film’s score/composer. Often it happens simply because the director fell in love with the temp track.

I was so excited for Wiig as Cheetah. I can’t tell if it was the writing and her performance that didn’t work, or just the writing?

I've finally watched the movie for the very first time tonight, here in Italy, aired on prime time. Brilliant and awesome.
And that was the TRUE Wonder Woman. Finally.
1984 is one million light years ahead of Wonder Woman 2017.
It was a superb movie which truly captured the spirit and the essence of the character, as well as the quality of its silver age stories.
Gal Gadot was excellent, and the movie just destroyed the first chapter in terms of direction, plot, screenplay, acting, cinematography, special effects, action pieces.

Also, Wonder Woman 1984 is VASTLY better than:

All 3 Thor movies
Black Panther 1 and 2
The 2 Guardians of the Galaxy movies
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man 1 and 2
Black Widow
Dr. Strange 1
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Raimi's Spider-Man 2 and 3
The 2 Amazing Spider-Man movies
Hulk & The Incredible Hulk

I've finally watched the movie for the very first time tonight, here in Italy, aired on prime time. Brilliant and awesome.
It was a superb movie which truly captured the spirit and the essence of the character, as well as the quality of its silver age stories.
Gal Gadot was excellent, and the movie just destroyed the first chapter in terms of direction, plot, screenplay, acting, cinematography, special effects, action pieces.

All 3 Thor movies
Black Panther 1 and 2
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man 1 and 2
Black Widow
Dr. Strange 1

I rewatched WW84 a week ago. The first time I saw it I gave it 6/10, and I still do. There are things I like a lot; the Themyscira opening, the learning-to-fly sequence, the mall scene, Cheetah's design, the Wonder Woman-Cheetah fight near the end, Gadot's, Pine's, and Wiig's performances (nothing against Pascal - who I found entertaining - but he wasn't my idea of Max Lord).

But, the bad...

Too much Diana and Barbara, not enough Wonder Woman and Cheetah; having to wait two ****ing hours before we actually get to see Cheetah - and the fact that as far as I can see Cheetah has absolutely no bearing on the Max Lord story and its outcome. Max's story would play out exactly the same from beginning to end without Cheetah's presence. It's an Indy/Raiders thing; as far as Max's story - the main plot - goes, Cheetah is shoehorned in. She's wasted. Cheetah could easily justify a WW movie of her own, which focuses on how Diana and Barbara become friends, just how close they become, how that goes wrong, how/why Barbara becomes Cheetah, and the conflict that leads the two former friends to - all things that were rushed here. It's as though Patty Jenkins (or some exec) decided that the Max Lord story didn't deliver enough 'cool action', so they grafted Cheetah on as a quick fix. A waste of a good character who deserved better - and hopefully will one day get it.

As for those films you listed, I haven't seen them all; but of the ones I have seen, I can't hand-on-heart say WW84 is better, but I did enjoy it as much (and in some cases, more).

All 3 Thor movies
Black Panther 1 and 2
Iron Man 3
Ant-Man 1 and 2
Black Widow
Dr. Strange 1
WW84 is only better than Hulk 2003 and Tasm2 imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"