• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

This has been fun and much needed for us X-Men fans. Hope season 2 isn't a long wait. Im gonna re-watch a few other X-Men animated shows after this.

I realized the same thing! Strap in y'all!

Well, I got my wish from pages back 🤭

I know that some fans will persist with the "They're rushing through comic arcs!" complaint, but the point of an adaptation is to "adapt" as opposed to a paint by numbers approach. You're taking something pre-existing and translating it into another medium and distilling it into it's primary essence. Some comic arcs persist for months, sometimes years on end. The X-Men 97 S1 finale wasn't nearly the best episode of the season, but they're going to some wild places next.

Yeah, I'll be getting this.

Screenshot_20240515_013924_Chrome.jpg

Well it's over. As a Wolverine and Gambit fan this was a tough season to watch. I'm glad a new showrunner is taking over next season, don't know what possessed this guy to completely sideline the #1 fan favourite character and kill off the #2 fan favourite character.

Hopefully things get back to focusing on the characters that made the original series great, enough spotlight has been given to also-rans of the team.

A lot of cool things in this episode, though I'll admit it felt a bit cluttered. I did see this lovely theory that Storm, Wolverine and Morph are missing because they're headed back to One Man's Worth with all the Nimrod stuff. Definitely need to rewatch the full three-parter to see how I feel about it. As a whole though, this season has been a huge win.

Edit: I didn't realize there was a mid-credit scene.

Last edited:
That was so awesome!!!! I need more! I’m going to be so sad next week!

So who do you think will join next season? They seemed to hint pretty strongly at Piotr

Well it's over. As a Wolverine and Gambit fan this was a tough season to watch. I'm glad a new showrunner is taking over next season, don't know what possessed this guy to completely sideline the #1 fan favourite character and kill off the #2 fan favourite character.

Hopefully things get back to focusing on the characters that made the original series great, enough spotlight has been given to also-rans of the team.
I can't remember anything substantial Beast did in this revival.

The whole thing for me was too much Magneto, that he overshadowed a lot of the X-Men. :xmen:

You Wolverine fans are insufferable y’all already have three X-men movies with him in the lead, three solo films, X2 the game, Wolverine Origins the game, and soon insomniacs game, then animated shows like the Wolverine anime and Wolverine and the X-men oh and the Deadpool and Wolverine movie coming in the next couple of months. How much more do you need?! I feel for the Gambit fans but the Wolverine fans? Not at all.

Also Beau was still the showrunner for season 2 lol and I hope he continued to make sure it didn’t turn into the Wolverine show.

Last edited:

.....really?

Well sorry to disappointment you but Beau is still part of all of S2 so this wont be the Wolverine and friends show that you want.

X-Men 97 Season 1 is a 10/10. The only "weaker" episode was the Jubilee/video game episode for me personally. And it wasn't terrible, just okay.

I love Wolverine & Gambit, but I have had enough Wolverine to last a lifetime. Let's give the rest of the X-Men a chance to shine. Yes, Gambit's death caught me off guard, but he went out a true G/hero.

I can't remember anything substantial Beast did in this revival.

The whole thing for me was too much Magneto, that he overshadowed a lot of the X-Men. :xmen:

I loved Beast in this series. He, for me, had some of the best emotional beats in the Genosha fallout during his interactions with Ameila and Trish, respectively.

Plus, I love when he waxes poetic while fighting demons in a psychic hell or hot-wiring a Sentinel.

I'm seeing videos pop up today that the viewership is low. But it's also from people salivating at Marvel's downfall, so idk.
The show hasn't hit the top 10 overall or top 10 original shows on Nielsen. Per Disney's figures it appears viewership is on par with Bad Batch S3. That show also barely hit the charts throughout its three seasons. The caveat is that Nielsen uses "minutes" and the episodes for both shows are fairly short.

So, it doesn't have some insanely great ratings or anything, but Disney is happy enough to renew it. Animated shows almost always start with a two-season order, but it getting a third season is a good sign. That's what really matters. Good word of mouth will also allow viewership to grow over time.

I know that some fans will persist with the "They're rushing through comic arcs!" complaint, but the point of an adaptation is to "adapt" as opposed to a paint by numbers approach. You're taking something pre-existing and translating it into another medium and distilling it into it's primary essence. Some comic arcs persist for months, sometimes years on end. The X-Men 97 S1 finale wasn't nearly the best episode of the season, but they're going to some wild places next.

I don't have any issue with adaptation, any movie based on a comic or book is adapted
But with this show, it feels equivalent to getting a Greatest Hits Medley performed by a Tribute act of your favorite rock band
They mashed stuff together, and breezed through important beats, and excised vital characters

Fatal Attraction, and Lifedeath, and E for Extinction were all far far better in the comics imo
Whereas I thought the Phoenix Saga back in the day was almost, nearly on par with the comics (though thats probably rose-colored glasses)

There was a lot to love about this season, the action and animation were great (proving those who said it looked bad very wrong) Cyclops and Storm and many others had some awesome moments.. Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler is a huge win...
But I don't feel quite as enamored with the show as a lot of others here

Idk, maybe I'm just a joyless husk at this point, who knows...

I'm seeing videos pop up today that the viewership is low. But it's also from people salivating at Marvel's downfall, so idk.
I don't think a cartoon Marvel series is going to be that popular anyway.

If Disney expected that, they would have given this more budget or perhaps use 3d animation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"