X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

I love the discussion around the series and Episode 5 but I'm shocked at everyone's assumed finality of certain characters like Gambit. We're comic fans right? Does anyone ever stay dead? It feels like when everyone left the theater after Infinity War and actually thought half of the heroes would stay dead. I mean Vision was co-headlining a spin-off series in the first MCU entry post-Endgame.

For an episode that had Sinister in the opening credits (who has his own history with Gambit) and kicked off Act 3 with the sudden appearance of a certain time traveler, I would wager that Gambit's death will not be forever. Sure, I'll grant that he may not be resurrected this season, but we've already got Season 2 and 3 greenlit so I wouldn't be shocked to see Gambit reappearing as Apocalypse's new horseman Death or, in the very least, having Cable save him (or another version).

I could see this season ending with Scott and Jean leaving the team to go figure their relationship out, with maybe Storm returning to lead. Or Rogue could step into the leadership role--after all, she was ready to become queen of Genosha. That'd be an interesting place for her character to go--then in Season 2, Miss Marvel can awaken from her coma and seek revenge on the woman who stole her life & take Rogue back down a peg.

Hopefully Jean & Scott wouldn't be gone forever--maybe they journey to the future like that limited series they had in the 90s?

I also fully believe that Magneto is alive (if there's no body, he's still kicking). I could see him going full villain again and end the season by ripping out Logan's adamantium skeleton, thus setting up his story for Season 2.

Last edited:
Okay a friend and I are watching X-Men 97 from the beginning so calm yourselves and your worshipping of the misogynist, bottom-shaming showrunner.
Wait, were people doing that earlier in this thread? I'm confused.

I love the discussion around the series and Episode 5 but I'm shocked at everyone's assumed finality of certain characters like Gambit. We're comic fans right? Does anyone ever stay dead? It feels like when everyone left the theater after Infinity War and actually thought half of the heroes would stay dead. I mean Vision was co-headlining a spin-off series in the first MCU entry post-Endgame.

For an episode that had Sinister in the opening credits (who has his own history with Gambit) and kicked off Act 3 with the sudden appearance of a certain time traveler, I would wager that Gambit's death will not be forever. Sure, I'll grant that he may not be resurrected this season, but we've already got Season 2 and 3 greenlit so I wouldn't be shocked to see Gambit reappearing as Apocalypse's new horseman Death or, in the very least, having Cable save him (or another version).

I could see this season ending with Scott and Jean leaving the team to go figure their relationship out, with maybe Storm returning to lead. Or Rogue could step into the leadership role--after all, she was ready to become queen of Genosha. That'd be an interesting place for her character to go--then in Season 2, Miss Marvel can awaken from her coma and seek revenge on the woman who stole her life & take Rogue back down a peg.

Hopefully Jean & Scott wouldn't be gone forever--maybe they journey to the future like that limited series they had in the 90s?

I also fully believe that Magneto is alive (if there's no body, he's still kicking). I could see him going full villain again and end the season by ripping out Logan's adamantium skeleton, thus setting up his story for Season 2.
I'm not assuming this will be permanent, I'm just hoping for it. The characters trying to deal with the aftermath of an event like this would be more interesting than some sort of time travel plot to undo it like in End Game or Days of Future Past. We've seen that many times.

The last episode seemed to be building to Scott becoming the new Magneto. I could see some sort of X-Men Civil War with Jean & Wolverine on one side and Scott & Rogue on the other.

Yeah on the one supposed casualty, all I can say is "no body no crime"
But I think Gambit is screwed for a while, which really sucks
He's the most 90's of all X-Men, he should've been the star of this s***!

I would like Maggott to get the spotlight as a guest.

Back in the original series, I always liked how when an episode centered on a mutant guest. Nightcrawler, Colossus, Longshot, Iceman with the X-Factor, Bishop. The others like Psylocke and Dazzler didn't get that importance despite appearing in the show.

Well with the majority of one love triangle killed off, I guess Scott/Jean/Wolverine take centre stage…again. And why not, it’s not like there were three-ish movies dedicated to it. *sigh*

Well with the majority of one love triangle killed off, I guess Scott/Jean/Wolverine take centre stage…again. And why not, it’s not like there were three-ish movies dedicated to it. *sigh*
Unless they go the Krakoa route
Throuple time! lol

On this killing characters debate, I am against killing characters frequently. It loses impact if done too often and just needlessly loses possible stories. So I feel like a good reason is needed when you pull that plug. In this case, I am 100% okay with it. They needed to do this for the moment to have the desired impact. I don't want to see this become a super kill happy show, but here it really worked

Yeah, we've seen the comics, but this is different. It's not like everyone who died in the MCU returned. And Gambit's death here has a very specific context. It's different. Also, we don't fully know what their plans are. The original show has never been this dark or dramatic. They're taking a drastically different approach here. And if they have a 3 season plan, for instance (which I doubt), I could see him remaining dead. And/or, if their plan is to keep showcasing new mutants every season as part of this rebranding and reintroduction of the X-Men, I can also see Gambit having an emotional heroic sendoff to give room to someone like Kurt, Colossus, Betsy, Kitty, Bobby, Alex, Rachel and many others...

Yeah, I've seen the comics and won't be mad at all seeing him returning. But I feel they cannot do it unceremoniously. There should be some consequences (like Gamora in the MCU).

On this killing characters debate, I am against killing characters frequently. It loses impact if done too often and just needlessly loses possible stories. So I feel like a good reason is needed when you pull that plug. In this case, I am 100% okay with it. They needed to do this for the moment to have the desired impact. I don't want to see this become a super kill happy show, but here it really worked
I disagree because of how turfed Gambit has been in the shows and movies. I personally would have loved to see Wolverine kick it. That would have had an impact too and he’s been given enough screen time over the last 30 years. In this case, it feels like Gambit’s death is just to further Rogue’s story arc and that never sits right with me.

I disagree because of how turfed Gambit has been in the shows and movies. I personally would have loved to see Wolverine kick it. That would have had an impact too and he’s been given enough screen time over the last 30 years. In this case, it feels like Gambit’s death is just to further Rogue’s story arc and that never sits right with me.
Wolverine has cred by being Wolverine, but within this season it would have been out of place. He isn't attached to many major stories to this point. Gambit feels tragic precisely cause this plot point has been emphasized. Because it feels it ended abruptly. And yeah, it's to partly serve Rogue's arc, but any death in movies or shows are doing that or should be. Whether it be killing Obi-Won in Star Wars or Apollo Creed in Rocky IV or whoever. If you are not advancing a story or a character, then killing a character doesn't matter and doesn't need to be done. If we are saying Gambit got fridged essentially, I don't think so at all. Gambit went out here like a hero in a sequence that had broader reasons to exist. Yes, you can say the collateral damage hammers the point to an extent, but 9/11 has a different context if you know someone who died that day or was there. Callisto and such don't convey that strong enough. Gambit and Magneto (assuming he is for sure dead and not saved by Leech) make it more personal for the audience. Hence why it was necessary

Just saying that we still haven't seen a body for Magneto. And he just stopped being 'detected' next to a character who temporarily removes mutant powers. Though I guess they could start the next episode with his body as well.

Wolverine has cred by being Wolverine, but within this season it would have been out of place. He isn't attached to many major stories to this point. Gambit feels tragic precisely cause this plot point has been emphasized. Because it feels it ended abruptly. And yeah, it's to partly serve Rogue's arc, but any death in movies or shows are doing that or should be. Whether it be killing Obi-Won in Star Wars or Apollo Creed in Rocky IV or whoever. If you are not advancing a story or a character, then killing a character doesn't matter and doesn't need to be done. If we are saying Gambit got fridged essentially, I don't think so at all. Gambit went out here like a hero in a sequence that had broader reasons to exist. Yes, you can say the collateral damage hammers the point to an extent, but 9/11 has a different context if you know someone who died that day or was there. Callisto and such don't convey that strong enough. Gambit and Magneto (assuming he is for sure dead and not saved by Leech) make it more personal for the audience. Hence why it was necessary
I respect your viewpoint but I don’t agree. I don’t believe in killing off characters for shock value after hyping them up and especially not after they express a desire for a happy ending. I know I know it’s all about “death is tragic!” but like I said before, I don’t consume this content to be reminded of how ****ty the world is. Genosha being massacred is poignant enough without killing off characters that still have so much story left.

I respect your viewpoint but I don’t agree. I don’t believe in killing off characters for shock value after hyping them up and especially not after they express a desire for a happy ending. I know I know it’s all about “death is tragic!” but like I said before, I don’t consume this content to be reminded of how ****ty the world is. Genosha being massacred is poignant enough without killing off characters that still have so much story left.
This wasn't for shock value. This wasn't a Game of Thrones type death sequence where guys you met 5 mins ago die just for a swerve. This was meant to give the audience a personal touch. Like I said, context changes if your brother died in an event like this vs a stranger or your mail person you maybe spoke to like twice.

As for the point on not wanting to be reminded how bad the world is, X-Men is a book meant to cover issues like this. If this was Paw Patrol or SpongeBob, I would agree. But this is very in line with an issue the X-Men should be used for

This wasn't for shock value. This wasn't a Game of Thrones type death sequence where guys you met 5 mins ago die just for a swerve. This was meant to give the audience a personal touch. Like I said, context changes if your brother died in an event like this vs a stranger or your mail person you maybe spoke to like twice.

As for the point on not wanting to be reminded how bad the world is, X-Men is a book meant to cover issues like this. If this was Paw Patrol or SpongeBob, I would agree. But this is very in line with an issue the X-Men should be used for
They built Gambit up specifically to kill him off. Beau said as much when he said the crop top was to make people love him. That’s shock value for me.

X-Men also has mechanisms for reviving characters. If it’s true that the showrunners said they don’t want to revive the dead (I haven’t seen a quote anywhere) then that ruins this show for me personally.

They built Gambit up specifically to kill him off. Beau said as much when he said the crop top was to make people love him. That’s shock value for me.

X-Men also has mechanisms for reviving characters. If it’s true that the showrunners said they don’t want to revive the dead (I haven’t seen a quote anywhere) then that ruins this show for me personally.
I haven't seen such a quote personally. Just seeing it discussed conceptually by fans. In the end, to thine own self be true. If ya dislike the show if that's how they approach it, that's up to you. I personally disagree in this case. But that's just me and my preference

I'm loving the show, but am still quite angry about it, which I guess is kinda what they wanted
we'll see how it goes and whether or not I'll be back to watch season 2

I will say, as good of writing as this show has had, I’m a little tired of killing off the love interests of women as some sort of “you’ll be stronger for it!” mentality. Gambit literally says in the episode that the white picket reward isn’t for a scoundrel like him and Nightcrawler reassures him that love is forgiveness and then at the end it’s like “sike! You’re right. No happy ending for you. Die with the thought that the woman you love doesn’t love you back!” I find that needlessly cruel and it’s a trope I’m not too fond of. Killing off the men to develop a woman’s story doesn’t sit right with me.

Especially since the writers are dead set on telling the fans that death is permanent in this show.

/end rant
Given plenty of women characters have had to deal with this trope for decades, way more than men characters ever had to deal with (to the point that Simone created the term fridging), I give this a pass. Besides like others mentioned, this was not done for shock value. Gambit had been built up plenty throughout the series and his death was done in a very tasteful and tbh pretty bad*** way to go out, by saving hunderds if not thousands of mutants

Anyway, in other news, clip for tomorrow. Seems like we're taking a side trip to outer space and an appearance from Vulcan.

Wait, were people doing that earlier in this thread? I'm confused.
giphy.gif

Just seen a lot of DeMayo praise in general, but remembered he's a talented but toxic person.

Oh god, I just see Disney/Marvel put X-Men 97 as part of the multiverse saga playlist.

Ugh...

I'm devastated.

Given plenty of women characters have had to deal with this trope for decades, way more than men characters ever had to deal with (to the point that Simone created the term fridging), I give this a pass. Besides like others mentioned, this was not done for shock value. Gambit had been built up plenty throughout the series and his death was done in a very tasteful and tbh pretty bad*** way to go out, by saving hunderds if not thousands of mutants

Anyway, in other news, clip for tomorrow. Seems like we're taking a side trip to outer space and an appearance from Vulcan.

Cookin’

Oh god, I just see Disney/Marvel put X-Men 97 as part of the multiverse saga playlist.

Ugh...

I'm devastated.
They are obviously throwing it in the Madness of the Multiverse as one of the cartoon realities along with What If?. Marvel Zombies and the new cartoons for Wakanda and Spider-Man would be included as well.

Though I doubt what happens in this show will affect the story of the MCU films. Probably just some nods and references like the X-Men theme song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"