X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

I re-watched the first trailer, amazingly we've seen every shot except for two:

I'm assuming this is Remmy's funeral. The top shot with Xavier might be a bait-and-switch; it's actually a picture of Gambit.

My guess is Bright Eyes will be Remy’s funeral in real time, intercut with flashes of Xavier’s funeral from a year ago.

While none of it has been established in the animated series (yet), him and Apocalypse are known to have a great partnership in the comics. If/when they eventually bring Apocalypse back into the fold, I could see the show bringing that element in with Sinister potentially stealing Remy's corpse (Sinister and Gambit are also intertwined in the comics and if the showrunners want, they could adapt their connection here) and not wanting to let his Omega Level power go to waste.

But that's just me speculating, could be completely wrong on this and looking way into it. 🤷‍♂️

This is exactly where I see this going; Apocalypse certainly has been shown a lot in the opening credits.

I could see the finale being a loose adaptation of both Fatal Attractions (with Magneto going berserk on humanity, ripping out Logan’s adamantium and all) and Evolutionary War, with Apocalypse taking the High Evolutionary’s role.

After “Beyond Good and Evil”, Apocalypse is revealed to have survived his fate at the Axis of Time and has rededicated himself to guiding and enhancing the evolution of humanity so that his race may one day be supreme to all others, including a race known as Beyonders. To this end, he ordered Sinister to hack Master Mold and decimate Genosha, knowing it will ignite war to accelerate Earth’s evolution and eliminate perceived threats to genetic purity so that he (and Sinister’s science) can make the perfect race—in line with his ‘survival of the fittest’ mantra. Their first attempt at this was Nathan Summers, but the X-Men interrupted them (and Apocalypse unknowingly created his greatest enemy).

Bishop specifically said in Episode 2 that’s he’s never heard of a future where Magneto led the X-Men. I think we’re gearing up Apocalypse’s return & an Age of Apocalypse adaptation in Season 2…

Last edited:
While none of it has been established in the animated series (yet), him and Apocalypse are known to have a great partnership in the comics. If/when they eventually bring Apocalypse back into the fold, I could see the show bringing that element in with Sinister potentially stealing Remy's corpse (Sinister and Gambit are also intertwined in the comics and if the showrunners want, they could adapt their connection here) and not wanting to let his Omega Level power go to waste.

But that's just me speculating, could be completely wrong on this and looking way into it. 🤷‍♂️
It was established. Sinister worked for Apocalypse in that 4 part episode in the OG show. Not illogical to think the 2 of them continued their collaboration.

I would LOVE an Age of Apocalypse adaptation!!!! I could maybe get an Abyss Marvel Legends figure finally :o

It was established. Sinister worked for Apocalypse in that 4 part episode in the OG show. Not illogical to think the 2 of them continued their collaboration.
It's been a long while since I've watched the OG series, so thanks for the reminder. :whoops:

I do believe it's inevitable that Apocalypse will come back as a big bad. Depending on how this season finale goes, it could very well be for season 2.

This is exactly where I see this going; Apocalypse certainly has been shown a lot in the opening credits.

I could see the finale being a loose adaptation of both Fatal Attractions (with Magneto going berserk on humanity, ripping out Logan’s adamantium and all) and Evolutionary War, with Apocalypse taking the High Evolutionary’s role.

After “Beyond Good and Evil”, Apocalypse is revealed to have survived his fate at the Axis of Time and has rededicated himself to guiding and enhancing the evolution of humanity so that his race may one day be supreme to all others, including a race known as Beyonders. To this end, he ordered Sinister to hack Master Mold and decimate Genosha, knowing it will ignite war to accelerate Earth’s evolution and eliminate perceived threats to genetic purity so that he (and Sinister’s science) can make the perfect race—in line with his ‘survival of the fittest’ mantra. Their first attempt at this was Nathan Summers, but the X-Men interrupted them (and Apocalypse unknowingly created his greatest enemy).

Bishop specifically said in Episode 2 that’s he’s never heard of a future where Magneto led the X-Men. I think we’re gearing up Apocalypse’s return & an Age of Apocalypse adaptation in Season 2…
What I am wondering is how Nimrod/Bastion will figure into this season because it's all but confirmed that he'll be involved.

It's been a long while since I've watched the OG series, so thanks for the reminder. :whoops:

I do believe it's inevitable that Apocalypse will come back as a big bad. Depending on how this season finale goes, it could very well be for season 2.

What I am wondering is how Nimrod/Bastion will figure into this season because it's all but confirmed that he'll be involved.
In AoA, Bastion was a horseman, but Abyss killed him and took his place (past events referenced but never shown in the event). So there is history to draw on.

Bastion/Nimrod’s origin could also be tied to the techo-organic virus, just to really connect all the dots. Though that might be more of a stretch.

It’d be interesting if Season 2 started with an adaption of Age of Apocalypse and ended with Onslaught (but done well)

I think 3-4 episodes, especially with this creative team, could cover AoA and still give time for other stories. But I wouldn’t be opposed to a season-long adaptation, knowing a Season 3 is in the works.

Now that I think about it, Age of Apocalypse would make for a cool animated feature film. Plenty of emotional stakes and high drama.

I kind of really don't want Onslaught on this show, LOL.

This storyline is getting a bit weird because they are mashing up several different storylines and runs of the comics together. It's not bad or anything but it definitely throws you for a loop when you think it's going one way or another.

Ross Marquand is really staying busy in animation these days between Invincible and now X-Men '97. I was not expecting him to voice Professor Xavier. I'd be curious to know what decisions rendered recasting some of the VAs and the other actors who did return. I get that in Alyson Court's case, she took herself out of the running for Jubilee, which was understandably the right thing to do. Also, Allison Chou is doing a great job as Jubilee. Similar energy and cadence to Alyson Court, so it's just as well she got the part.

I don't want a season long adaptation of AoA. 3 episodes maximum should be enough.

Also with a ten episode order per season (my assumption), there aren't a lot room to adapt so many storylines from the comics, and also develop characters that either haven't appeared in the series before (Cecilia, Sage, Karma, Mirage), or simply didn't get the focus (Psylocke, Dazzler, Emma Frost) in the past.

I also would be surprised if X-Men '97 lasts longer than the 90s series, or if it gets a bigger overall episode count (70+ episodes). I feel like this cartoon series is a temporary thing (like most streaming shows anyway, especially Marvel on Disney+). When X-Men '27 is in full swing or soon to be released, I doubt they would still release new episodes/seasons for this cartoon.

I kind of really don't want Onslaught on this show, LOL.

This storyline is getting a bit weird because they are mashing up several different storylines and runs of the comics together. It's not bad or anything but it definitely throws you for a loop when you think it's going one way or another.

Ross Marquand is really staying busy in animation these days between Invincible and now X-Men '97. I was not expecting him to voice Professor Xavier. I'd be curious to know what decisions rendered recasting some of the VAs and the other actors who did return. I get that in Alyson Court's case, she took herself out of the running for Jubilee, which was understandably the right thing to do. Also, Allison Chou is doing a great job as Jubilee. Similar energy and cadence to Alyson Court, so it's just as well she got the part.

I think the writers of this show could do some interesting things with Onslaught; the comics story—in broad strokes—is a good concept. It just became an overbloated, meandering mess.

Still, when I think 90s X-Men, that’s a storyline that pops in my head.

Just making an observation.

From the looks of the boot, Cap must run into Rogue when he comes on the show. If they clash, Rogue will mop the floor with him. :o

IMG_9749.jpeg

AoA and Onslaught could both be fun
But yeah, blasting through them in one or two episodes isn't enough time
If next season was half AoA, followed by half Onslaught, that could work, but I doubt they'll do that
Plus, AoA was based on the episode from the original TAS, so I kind of doubt they go back to it

Unrelated, but another observation from last episode, I'm surprised there was no mention of Vulcan at all as anything other than as a member of the shiar

From the looks of the boot, Cap must run into Rogue when he comes on the show. If they clash, Rogue will mop the floor with him. :o

View attachment 87963
Idk, Cap has taken on some pretty powerful characters over the years, his fighting prowess makes up for a lot
Plus Rogue's state of mind may cause her to be too undisciplined to fight someone as capable as him

And honestly, while it does look more like Rogue's foot, I'd much rather see Cap and Cyclops come face to face

Last edited by a moderator:
AoA and Onslaught could both be fun
But yeah, blasting through them in one or two episodes isn't enough time
If next season was half AoA, followed by half Onslaught, that could work, but I doubt they'll do that
Plus, AoA was based on the episode from the original TAS, so I kind of doubt they go back to it

Unrelated, but another observation from last episode, I'm surprised there was no mention of Vulcan at all as anything other than as a member of the shiar

I mean... how much of AoA is actually relevant to the story? Just because it ran for a full year in the comics doesn't mean it was all top-tier material. A mini-arc would definitely suffice, IMO.

As for your comment about Vulcan, I assume there will be more revealed in time. I doubt that the Shi'ar Empire is going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, I'd be neat to see a disillusioned Cyclops leave the X-Men / Earth to be with his father Corsair & the Starjammers, only for the two of them to run into Vulcan & have some Summers drama

View attachment 87963

I actually think that's Forge's leg... his history is tied to the US Government & Bastion. Add Captain America in there, with his/the Avengers less-than-stellar history with mutant-human relations

Onslaught could also be a great 90s Animated crossover event! Bring in Spider-Man, the Avengers, etc

The problem is they can't realistically use Cap without explaining his fate in Spider-Man: TAS.

I mean... how much of AoA is actually relevant to the story? Just because it ran for a full year in the comics doesn't mean it was all top-tier material. A mini-arc would definitely suffice, IMO.

As for your comment about Vulcan, I assume there will be more revealed in time. I doubt that the Shi'ar Empire is going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, I'd be neat to see a disillusioned Cyclops leave the X-Men / Earth to be with his father Corsair & the Starjammers, only for the two of them to run into Vulcan & have some Summers drama

I actually think that's Forge's leg... his history is tied to the US Government & Bastion. Add Captain America in there, with his/the Avengers less-than-stellar history with mutant-human relations

Captain America is supposed to be stuck in a void with Red Skull.

Cant' say I recall Captain America's story from the Spider-Man animated series, but I'm sure they could easily overlook that last bit. Wasn't he included in the Secret Wars finale?

Could also be a flashback sequence too, with Forge from his X-Factor days.

The problem is they can't realistically use Cap without explaining his fate in Spider-Man: TAS.
Cap's shield is in a X-Men 97 ad, so apparently they're using him. Take that up with them lol

I mean, it's not all completely "relevant" to the main story, but it would be a shame to just have like, Gambit and the X-ternals show up out of nowhere with the M'Kran crystal with no explanation and get 5 seconds of screen time, or just show one shot of Weapon X and Jean riding in on a crashing blimp to save the day... there was what, 7 main series for 4 issues each, plus Alpha and Omega? Even if its not all fully necessary, that's a lot of story to tell in 2 or 3 episodes

Its just such a beloved story I don't think the current "breeze through the story" pace would work for it. It needs at least as much space as the Phoenix Saga did, which was 5 episodes.

AoA can easily handle a season if they wanted it

No that wasn't the last we saw of them. Cap And Red Skull were transported to Battleworld after that, then afterwards sent back to Earth (well at least Cap was, Red Skull was sent back to the Void). .

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"