X-Men ‘97 X-Men ‘97 News and Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!!)

I’m sure Age of Apocalypse will happen somewhere down the line, but I see Fatal Attractions/Onslaught/Stryfe happening in the forseeable future.

I mean, it's not all completely "relevant" to the main story, but it would be a shame to just have like, Gambit and the X-ternals show up out of nowhere with the M'Kran crystal with no explanation and get 5 seconds of screen time, or just show one shot of Weapon X and Jean riding in on a crashing blimp to save the day... there was what, 7 main series for 4 issues each, plus Alpha and Omega? Even if its not all fully necessary, that's a lot of story to tell in 2 or 3 episodes

Its just such a beloved story I don't think the current "breeze through the story" pace would work for it. It needs at least as much space as the Phoenix Saga did, which was 5 episodes.

But X-Men '97 episodes are generally longer than the original series, and plus they don't need to deal with commercial breaks, etc.

3 episodes on Disney+ could easily be closer to 90 minutes (feature film length), whereas on basic cable that would have been 3x 22 minute episodes = 66 minutes. It's a rough calculation, sure, but I think there's a point to be made about the benefits of this being on a streaming platform.

Phoenix Saga had the burden of introducing the Shi'Ar and a whole bunch of lore to the original animated series. By the time Age of Apocalypse rolls around, all of these elements have already been introduced to the audience so the creators can really make the most of the time allotted to play with expectations with characters/dynamics in this new reality.

No that wasn't the last we saw of them. Cap And Red Skull were transported to Battleworld after that, then afterwards sent back to Earth (well at least Cap was, Red Skull was sent back to the Void). .

The Beyonder said, "All must be exactly as it was," indicating everyone was sent back to where they were before with no memories of what happened and nothing changed. We don't actually see Cap going back to Earth and staying free of the void, which is technically on Earth.

The Beyonder said, "All must be exactly as it was," indicating everyone was sent back to where they were before with no memories of what happened and nothing changed. We don't actually see Cap going back to Earth and staying free of the void, which is technically on Earth.

Ultimately none of that matter to this cause he is going to be on X-Men 97 given his shield is in an ad. So Cap is around and even if he wasn't, then they'd just use a different Avenger in his place. Not every character in the OG show or this one was in the corresponding comic. So this argument is ultimately moot

Ultimately none of that matter to this cause he is going to be on X-Men 97 given his shield is in an ad. So Cap is around and even if he wasn't, then they'd just use a different Avenger in his place. Not every character in the OG show or this one was in the corresponding comic. So this argument is ultimately moot

Just because his shield is in it doesn't mean Cap will be in the present time. Also, it still has to line up with Spider-Man: The Animated Series since both shows cross over multiple times.

Just because his shield is in it doesn't mean Cap will be in the present time. Also, it still has to line up with Spider-Man: The Animated Series since both shows cross over multiple times.
Explain Rogue's boot in the ad then. In the end, it doesn't matter. X-Men 97 doesn't even perfectly line up with itself. Magneto owning the Xavier estate is treated like a revelation in episode 1, when the X-Men were present when Charles left it to him and thus should know. Magneto and Rogue were on screen a lot and no hint of a romance. Etc. So between Spider-Man and X-Men appearances, he got freed somehow. It's not a huge deal

Either way, these writers are not going to be beholden to a minor subplot from a different series for a guest character. How many times have writers handwaved the return of a character and they simply "got better" in between runs? There is a time gap between the end of those shows and the begining of this one, so something happened in the months inbetween and is not big enough deal to address.

Last edited:
When you look at how Letitia Wright and Evangeline Lily were treated, to me at least, it's shamelessly clear how selective cancel culture is.

Based on what we know, both James Gunn and Beau DeMayo said despicable, terrible things. But at the end of the day, DeMayo is black and gay, so he most likely won't be graced with the gift of a second chance, the bless of educating himself, like beloved James Gunn. So people will sink their teeth into his throat while celebrating the highly antecipated Superman Legacy. And dear god, don't get me started on JK Rowling.

What I say, I say as a person who admittedly gave a second chance to Gunn, as many in this forum did, and I don't regret it. So if I did this, why on earth would I deny it to DeMayo, based on what we know?

What he said offended "my team", but he's also part of my team. And I connect to this weight minorities carry in having to be "flawless", because if we do **** up, forgiviness won't be an option.

I also say that the most challenging and difficult part for me in being progressive is believing in the transforming power of education. Believe it, I find it very challenging, but it's the option we have, otherwise how do we change people?

I honestly dislike cancel culture and I wish Zygmunt Bauman was alive to talk about it, because sometimes I feel it's just a way of avoiding difficult topics and selectively getting rid of who we don't want.

Admittedly I don't know everything DeMayo did, but for that I don't feel like grabing my fork right now. Meanwhile I'll be giving credit where credit is due.

This has been, so far, the best X-Men adaptation I've seen, which is subjective of course. And I'd give DeMayo a second chance in a heartbeat (if he'd willing to change). I'm just being consistent with my believes.
Nobody is talking about grabbing a pitchfork and chasing the guy out of town. The point that I am making is that we have no idea what he did, who he did it to, or whether he has even expressed any remorse about it. So why say that he should be brought back? For all any of us knows, he could have done something truly horrific. And if that's the case, that is certainly more important than the fact that we like the way he tells X-Men stories.

We all know (or at least we SHOULD) about white privilege. And it is exactly why I will not watch a single movie that degenerate rat James Gunn is involved in. But that doesn't mean DeMayo gets a pass on whatever he does. I think BOTH should be held accountable.

I don't know if they will do a whole season of 1 storyline. This season does not really have a main central story with the whole group. Maybe AoA can be the theme but they will still have some internal stories for the characters.

Is there any evidence of what Beau DeMayo said or did yet?

Onslaught could also be a great 90s Animated crossover event! Bring in Spider-Man, the Avengers, etc

X-men's version of Spider-man's Secret Wars. Just leave the Heroes Reborn set up out of it.

I mean... how much of AoA is actually relevant to the story? Just because it ran for a full year in the comics doesn't mean it was all top-tier material. A mini-arc would definitely suffice, IMO.

It wasn't a full year. I forget if Alpha/Omega replaced books for a month, but it was only 4 issues replaced, so 6 months max. People love to talk about AoA, but I feel people forget it wasn't exactly one story. There was some connecting threads, but the series were fairly autonomous.

Some sick X-Men '97 art by Uzuri Art:

GJZOe-Bd-WIAAw-Oo-Y.jpg

GJok4f-WWAAA8n95.jpg

GK-Vy-Jc-WMAEe-Agq.jpg

GLj6myw-W8-AAelg8.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is they can't realistically use Cap without explaining his fate in Spider-Man: TAS.

most new viewers or old fans who didn’t remember the ending were confused xavier wasn’t actually “dead”. they can easily bring in captain america if they want to

I’m sure Age of Apocalypse will happen somewhere down the line, but I see Fatal Attractions/Onslaught/Stryfe happening in the forseeable future.
Yeah, I totally see Erik coming back as a big bad, which is super exciting to me what this show can do with a Magneto Vs X-Men. And yeah, I see Fatal Attraction happening, but hopefully next season.

And what was the name of that Stryfer saga in the early 90s? I remember loving it because was a mix of X-Men, X-Factor and X-Force. A boy can dream.

But X-Men '97 episodes are generally longer than the original series, and plus they don't need to deal with commercial breaks, etc.

3 episodes on Disney+ could easily be closer to 90 minutes (feature film length), whereas on basic cable that would have been 3x 22 minute episodes = 66 minutes. It's a rough calculation, sure, but I think there's a point to be made about the benefits of this being on a streaming platform.
Speaking of which, I do think the short number of episodes has a connection to the quality of it. So while I'm not asking for a 24 episode season, I do believe the show could gain a lot by having 12 episodes. Especially if they keep this structure of double premiere and three parts finale. That could give them 2 additional episodes to further develop the other characters.

This cast is big (and I won't be mad if it gets a little bigger).

Yeah, I totally see Erik coming back as a big bad, which is super exciting to me what this show can do with a Magneto Vs X-Men. And yeah, I see Fatal Attraction happening, but hopefully next season.

And what was the name of that Stryfer saga in the early 90s? I remember loving it because was a mix of X-Men, X-Factor and X-Force. A boy can dream.

That was X-Cutioner’s Song! Back in the good ole comic book and trading card buying days lol.

most new viewers or old fans who didn’t remember the ending were confused xavier wasn’t actually “dead”. they can easily bring in captain america if they want to

Except they picked up with Xavier pretty much right where they left off.

Hopefully in this year's SDCC, Marvel will announce the spin-offs I pitched here. :o

Then we'll have a good X-Cutioner's Song.

Seriously now, I do think this year we'll get lots of X-Men news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"