Sequels X4: Focus on Old X-Men or Young X-Men??

Drago

Civilian
Reaction score
For X4, would you rather they focus on the older X-Men (Storm, Beast, Wolvie, and bring back Cyke, Jean, and Xavier), or keep things moving and focus on the Young X-Men (Bobby, Kitty, Rogue, Colossus, etc.)?

I say move on to the young x-men. Wolvie has a solo film, and Storm and Beast can be mentors to the younger x-men. If they keep focusing on the same characters, I think it takes away a lot of opportunities for more x-men stories and more x-men characters.

I say young x-men with Bobby becoming leader of the next generation x-men. Then maybe they can coincide Bobby's rise to leader and relationship with Rogue with Cyclops's rise to leader and relationship with Jean thru flashbacks.

both, just like they have been doing, do a good mix of the Wolverines, Beasts, Storms, and Iceman, Gambit, and what not

I didn't see any good mix. Especially not with Beast and Iceman.

I'd like to see them focus more on the younger X-Men. Iceman, Colossus and Shadowcat and add in a couple others, such as Gambit.

Keep Storm, Beast and even Wolverine on as mentors, but let the main weights and character focuses be on the next generation.

X4 should continue the three X-men movies and The Young X-men should be another movie, maybe with new characters.

Decay said:
X4 should continue the three X-men movies and The Young X-men should be another movie, maybe with new characters.

How do you continue without making it a young x-men film though? All that's left are Beast, Storm, and the young X-Men. Everyone else is dead, and Logan has his solo franchise.

I say focus on the young x-men but not with the childhood drama junk- put them in the more mature situations and battles that the older x-men saw in X1-X3.

I'd perfer it if they concentrated more on the younger X - Men, Iceman, Colossus, Rogue, Angel and Kitty, but i'd bring in Gambit and maybe a few others.

I would rather see the younger x-men in the next film.
I'm all wolverined out already, and the solo movie hasn't even come out yet.

all the characters are important and deserve screentime and development, so I'd say a good mix, but a really good one, not like X3.

Surely what I don't want it's the same as the three previous films, with Logan like the main one. NO! no more Logan as a star.

when in the comic books did they ever decide to "focus on the young OR the old X-Men". Ever since "second genesis" it's been a mix of ages.

The only thing I want future X-Men movies to focus on which the first 3 have failed miserably at doing so is THE X-MEN, NOT WOLVERINE.

BT18 said:
when in the comic books did they ever decide to "focus on the young OR the old X-Men". Ever since "second genesis" it's been a mix of ages.

The only thing I want future X-Men movies to focus on which the first 3 have failed miserably at doing so is THE X-MEN, NOT WOLVERINE.

For the young, they had New Mutants and the more recent New X-Men.

The first two X-Men didn't fail as X-Men movies but that's for another thread.

Majik1387 said:
For the young, they had New Mutants and the more recent New X-Men.

The first two X-Men didn't fail as X-Men movies but that's for another thread.

I should have specified when I said "the comic books" I wasn't talking about an off-shoot, and really I'm just thinking about what I think the comic books they should have focused on to adapt, the classic uncanny X-Men storylines from the 70's and 80's. That should have been the movie franchise, ending it before the Liefieldization really kicked in, but at no point in that time, or afterwords for that matter, did we ever get anything resembling what Singer made in the first 2 movies that you could find in the classic comics. It was Wolverine: sort of featuring these other guys who call themselves X-Men. They weren't failures as watchable, compelling self-contained stories, and neither was the third one. But they were failures at truely giving a $hit about adapting the X-Men with truely adaptable important THINGS (for lack of a better all encomassing word) from the comics including pretty much every characters true personality and place within the team and relationship with other characters and the world. Particularly considering Singer and Harris and Dougherty's hypocritical bull$hit when it comes to Superman and how ridiculous the notions that people had for the new movie would have been, when they did pretty much exactly that to the X-Men.

BT18 said:
I should have specified when I said "the comic books" I wasn't talking about an off-shoot, and really I'm just thinking about what I think the comic books they should focus on to adapt, the classic uncanny X-Men storylines from the 70's and 80's. That should have been the movie franchise, ending it before the Liefieldization really kicked in, but at no point in that time, or afterwords for that matter, did we ever get anything resembling what Singer made in the first 2 movies that you could find in the classic comics. It was Wolverine: sort of featuring these other guys who call themselves X-Men. They weren't failures as watchable, compelling self-contained stories, and neither was the third one. But they were failures at truely giving a $hit about adapting the X-Men with truely adaptable important THINGS (for lack of a better all encomassing word) from the comics including pretty much every characters true personality and place within the team and relationship with other characters and the world. Particularly considering Singer and Harris and Dougherty's hypocritical bull$hit when it comes to Superman and how ridiculous the notions that people had for the new movie would have been, when they did pretty much exactly that to the X-Men.

But you're only basing the first two X-Movies on The Uncanny X-Men when he was adapting from all titles of the X-Comics. The only one he kind of changed was Rogue but he had a plan to bring the Rogue we all know and love.

Majik1387 said:
But you're only basing the first two X-Movies on The Uncanny X-Men when he was adapting from all titles of the X-Comics. The only one he kind of changed was Rogue but he had a plan to bring the Rogue we all know and love.

what? He didn't adapt jack $hit from Uncanny X-Men. I really have a suspicion he couldn't be bothered to read more than a few issues of what he had since the only clear non-original story he chose to use was itself an ultimately meaningless/inconsequential/never-referenced again standalone novel with God Loves/Man Kills. No plot was shared with anything a person could read from the golden age of the comic franchise. He used some little homages here and there and based some things off of summaries you could read on a comic card but it's an extremely unfaithful adaptation. Wolverine was never the focus of the classic comics, especially when he joined the team. He was a richly well placed, well used, ENSEMBLE character, who had his little releationships with most of his teammates we really never get to see any of in his oversaturated reimagination via singer. As he's become the tall, dark, and handsome puppy who's truely mysterious distancing and boderline meanness lasted all of a milisecond in the movie.

I say they focus on some of the younger X-men. Like Drago said...if they keep focusing on the same characters, then it's gonna get boring. There's a lot of stories that they could use for the next generation of X-men.

As long as they don't focus on one character alone (WOLVERINE) i don't really care which group of X-men they focus on.

I think Iceman, Pyro, and the inevitable Gambit have the most potential for story-telling in X4. There's still some good directions they could take in terms of a Bobby/Kitty/Rogue love triangle (especially if Gambit is introduced), and Colossus could have good development if they try to do something with his invulnerability and his sister having some health issues (although that would be better for a film down the line, after a conclusion to Pyro's arc and we see more Iceman development).

BT18 said:
what? He didn't adapt jack $hit from Uncanny X-Men. I really have a suspicion he couldn't be bothered to read more than a few issues of what he had since the only clear non-original story he chose to use was itself an ultimately meaningless/inconsequential/never-referenced again standalone novel with God Loves/Man Kills. No plot was shared with anything a person could read from the golden age of the comic franchise. He used some little homages here and there and based some things off of summaries you could read on a comic card but it's an extremely unfaithful adaptation. Wolverine was never the focus of the classic comics, especially when he joined the team. He was a richly well placed, well used, ENSEMBLE character, who had his little releationships with most of his teammates we really never get to see any of in his oversaturated reimagination via singer. As he's become the tall, dark, and handsome puppy who's truely mysterious distancing and boderline meanness lasted all of a milisecond in the movie.

Yeah . . . In the comics, Rogue was never a runaway who left home after placing the first boy she kissed in a coma--nor was Cyclops ever one of Xavier's first students and neither was Jean . . . nor were the two ever in love, and Jean was never one of the weakest members of the team who steadily becomes increasingly and dangerously powerful--and she certainly never sacrificed herself by isolating her fellow team members in an aircraft cabin while attempting to save their lives only to later come forth from the water as the Phoenix . . . nor did Xavier ever establish a school for gifted youngsters in Westchester, New York or create a team known as the X-Men . . . and Magneto was never his former friend turned enemy who grew vengeful forming his own following known as the Brotherhood . . . and Magneto certainly wasn't a victim of the Nazi's hatred . . . there was never a Senator named Kelly that disliked mutants nor was Mystique a shapeshifting mutant willing to kill him . . . Wolverine was never in Canada and was certainly never experimented on nor was his body ever laced with adamantium--and he certainly never questioned his origins . . . I could go on and on about the adherences and departures . . .

There never has been, and never will be, a 100% faithful comic book adaptation of any comic book established in the 50s, 60s, or 70s (Batman Begins isn't, Spider-Man isn't, and Superman isn't) . . . and there was never a Golden Age of X-Men comics as the X-Men weren't developed until the Silver Age--and thank God no movie was ever directly translated from the first issues of the X-Men comics. Those stories weren't even developed well enough to keep comic book readers interested, which contributed to the X-Men's being relegated to reprints for years. I don't want to have to wait film after film to get a glimpse of the likes of Colossus, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Pyro, Rogue, Sabretooth, Storm, Wolverine, etc. And I certainly don't want a film randomly following the likes of Count Nefaria, Ka-Zar, The Living Monolith, Zaladane, the living island Krakoa, or some lame character like the Vanisher.

Wolverine isn't initially the focus of the classic comics, but he certainly earns his share of dedicated issues thereafter (perhaps you should blame all Marvel fans since the 1970s) . . . like every character eventually does (kind of like Jean looks like she is initially going to do post X2)--it's a rotational basis, just like in the comics, and why not start with Wolverine in the films, especially since they were never meant to be nipped in the bud as a trilogy in the first place.

. . . also, in those initial comics, Wolverine isn't as mean as you would like to make him out to be (that happens much later). He is actually relatively tame, and remains that way for a rather long time. Wolverine in the films is at least, if not more, mean than Wolverine is in some of the classic issues. Take his first meeting with Xavier for instance:

wolverineandxaviercopy3xy.jpg

He's isnt' quite the ferocious character people initially believe he was.

Personally, I don't particularly care if they go with the older or younger X-Men in the next installment, if there is one. It will be interesting to see either way to say the least, especially given the circumstances in which a fair number of the main characters find themselves at the end of The Last Stand (talk about a departure).

Posted this in the manips thread, but what the heck.
161629783.jpg

Mutant Cool, Old-School!

I picked old because we dont have Cyclops or Jean, Just Wolverine and Storm. Iceman, Shadowcat, Colossus and Angel will be older.

It would be a huge mistake if you eliminate
Wolverine from the equation.....

- with all due respect to Prof. Xavier -
Wolverine is the face of these Xmen movies and the number one
character audience is interested in seeing........
i think it's still very important to see Wolvey, Storm
and Professor X back
( Rogue could have the same role-time she had in Xmen 2.)

i would still keep and mixed both elder Xmen
and young ones as well also
introduce " NEW" Xmen members as well
- just as they did with BEAST in X3.

of course the writing is on the wall - GAMBIT simply has to
be implemented in this upcoming one.

i think we can skip the Cyclops and Jean characters
until a later future movie
- this would allow more of a focus on Gambit, Beast
and Kitty Pryde and Angel and
other possible new intriguing villains ....
( Apocalypse, Emma Frost, Selene, Sentinels, etc. )

But i most definitely would like to see a better
character-developed, non-rushed plot/scenes in x4...
..... in short, we just have to have
a better, more qualified director who can do
a much better, well-rounded job
than Brett Raetner.

:wolverine

Brett Rattner did an exellent job, blame the writers.

EnSabahNur said:
Brett Rattner did an exellent job, blame the writers.

I blame Rothman, Ratner, and the writers equally.

LatinoReview.com reviewed the "Wolverine" script recently, commenting that it is strictly a prequel. So I think that it's safe to say X4 will still have Logan as a major focus.

I think in X4 they should start giving more atention to Rogue and Gambit. and the characters that aren't developed enough, like Angel, Kitty, Colossus, and Nightcrawler, more some atention to Storm and Beast, of course, like the main teachers of the school. Logan should start being a secondary character, mostly for the action, with a few interaction with Rogue, Storm, Beast and Gambit and Nightcrawler but no so much more.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Storm, Beast, Logan and Moira as teachers, and maybe even Bobby and Colossus (art class anyone?..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"