"Xbox 720" will possibly be "Forward Compatible".

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
It's only a rumor...for now...

The third Xbox installment will be "Forward Compatible" which will provide graphical and performance updates to Xbox 360 titles. This ranges from increased draw distance, improved framerate, or perhaps even new DLC. This would be the equivalent of upgrading your PC video card to allow for higher graphical settings. This, of course, will only apply to games still in development for the 360.

http://kotaku.com/5063787/rumor-next-xbox-to-be-forward-compatible

Erm, so really Forward compatiblity would only be useful for the first 2 years or so after the new console ships.

Ed: Never mind.

Erm, so really Forward compatiblity would only be useful for the first 2 years or so after the new console ships.

Yea.

Wasn't the ps2 forward compatible? I recall it using filtering in metal gear solid for the ps1.

Last edited:
Yup, and to an extent the 360 would "upgrade" the games from the original xbox that were backward compatible.

Honestly...I don't care.

I don't care if I end up buying the entire Xbox 360 libary, I won't buy another Microsoft system for quite a long time. Atleast a decade, I'm thinking.

I didn't get a 360 until last year. I'm not going to jump to the upcoming gen anytime soon

I can afford a new game system. I just bought the 360 last weekend.

With the economy self-imploding...who can afford it?

I hear ya, I'm glad I have some sort of timeframe so I can start saving up.

I had to pawn-loan my 360, so I'm just trying to get it and all my games back.

I thought this new Xbox was suppose to be called the Phoenix or something like that. Or is that just a codename for now?:huh:

It's really a case by case with consoles for me. I got a PS1 & PS2 for Christmas in their respective years they were released, and bought a PS3 with my own cash because I had come to like Sony game systems and the exclusives they put out. Gamecube I bought on impulse, I was wanting to play Windwaker, and Metroid Prime, so I bought one lol. 360 I passed, but I can't say yet if I will skip the next.

I personally feel good enough with the PS3 that I have no intention of getting a new console anytime soon. 5 years from now tho when they start showing next-next-gen trailers...I might be singing a different tune.

I'll just say the longer MS and Sony wait to put out their system, and the better their next consoles tag line, the more inclined I'll be to buy it. If the next Xbox or PS comes out 2 years from now, think I'll skip it, atleast for awhile. I currently see no reason to upgrade as the current console games look perfectly fine, and the PS3 has only started to really hit it's stride a bit more recently.

I think I'll purchase a PS3 and dig into it's libary before I jump onboard a new Xbox system.

And yeah, FadingCB is right....ask me in a few years, when suddenly the graphics on the preview trailers are looking like real life...and I might be swayed. Maybe.

But with the prices of games and the systems and the accessories...it can be a big investment for most.

i would love to get the xbox 720
but with all the gas prices...school prices and everything rising...i will not be able to afford this...i just got the xbox 360 a couple months and that was a a hefty price with buying the games and what not

I dont think the next gen of consoles will happen as soon as previous ones did. Development has been expensive now and Im sure MS and Sony will want to get more money out of their investments and that can only happen by delaying the release of their next consoles. Plus Im sure game developers will want to stick with the 360 and PS3 as long as possible since they are getting better at working with them as time passes on. I also dont see a major leap in graphics and hardware power. We might get some minor tweaks but I dont see anything really revolutionary, at least not enough to justify getting one early on

Well, the main reason that Microsoft went to the 360 quicker was because things fell through with Nvidia. I doubt Mircosoft wants something similar to happen with ATI

Confirmed! "Xbox 720 Rumors may be ******ed!"

How long do you guys think it's going to be until the new xbox comes out? Has Microsoft set a date yet? I'm asking because I may buy the 360 this year for christmas, but if the new one it's coming soon (like 2009 or 2010) then I think it's not worth getting it.

Buy it. 360 isn't gonne be replaced anytime soon.

Honestly...I don't care.

I don't care if I end up buying the entire Xbox 360 libary, I won't buy another Microsoft system for quite a long time. Atleast a decade, I'm thinking.

yea i think 360 has the best games...but microsoft blew it hard with the rrod, the disc scratching, the two red ring problem and the list goes on........

The disc scratching problem is stupid though. Just don't move your console when a disc is reading and nothing will happen to it. Can't be this hard, unless I'm missing something.

Well, the only thing about it is to not put the system at a vertical angle. Ever.

If the system could only lie flat, and didn't allow for the vertical angle to being with...the scratching wouldn't have been a problem for me.

The RROD though....that **** was the bane of my ****ing existence.

Now...I used to say I was never going to buy a PS3. **** sony, they're too expensive. Yada yada.

I now own a PS3. It's lying under my christmas tree.

What happened?

Metal Gear Solid 4 happened.

So, I'll say what Christian Bale say when asked about doing a JLA movie and reprising his role in it as Batman: "Hey, I won't knock it. You'll never know where you'll be 10 or 15 years from now, in my 50's needing work."

I'm paraphrasing...but still. Who knows. I could get swayed into another system 10 years down the line. Any earlier than that is simply too early and too rich for my blood.

The disc scratching problem is stupid though. Just don't move your console when a disc is reading and nothing will happen to it. Can't be this hard, unless I'm missing something.

no, its actually happened to people who havent moved it. over time ive gotta a ton of scratches on a few of my games and i dont move it while playing. at all. no lie. i didnt that once with my first 360 and never did it again.

I had the disc scratching when I had my PS3 earlier this year. What a pain in the arse it was. Playing Metal Gear Solid 4 (what did they do) and took the game out and for some reason i decided to check the underside. To my shock and horror I found the "rings of death"..........there were like two rings scratched into the disc.

I checked my other games and each of them had it. Even my blu-rays. It was soon after that I took the console back because, well, where were all the fun games. Oh that's right, on my xbox 360 which sat beside my PS3.

Now it's fun times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"