Xbox Xbox Series X Thread

yes. that's what they announced in their initial Cerny tech presentation.

PS5 SSD storage, from hard drive size and speed to expanded and external storage options, explained.

825gb just seems like a weird random number. And I'm assuming that's BEFORE you factor in the OS size, which would mean less than 825gb usable. Of course, it could be a place surprise if that 825gb number is AFTER you take out the OS. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
It’s going to be really low otherwise. Smaller than we’ve gotten used to last gen while games are only going to get bigger.

so from what I'm gathering from these early hands-on impressions is that the Series X benefits are much faster load times and smoother frame rates for game performance. Also, built-in enhancements for the BC games not even optimized for the Series X. Which is certainly a nice plus.

However, it's kind of hard to see any noticeable visual/graphical difference from these videos. The inevitable DF comparison videos should shed more light on that front.
Some very nice QOL improvements there.

Some very nice QOL improvements there.
after having some recent frustrating experiences trying to track down and play retro Playstation consoles and games, I appreciate even more the commitment that MS is making to BC. Not only simply allowing you to play games across all prior Xbox gens on one current console (although BC is not fully 100%), but also the Series X actually improving those older games.

Sony still hasn't clearly laid out just how BC on the PS5 is going to exactly work (other than being only for PS4 games).

Like, will PS5 add the "auto-hdr" like the Series X does to old games that were designed with hdr?

How exactly are our PS4 saves going to carry over to the PS5? Cloud? USB?

For 1st party titles, will we get free PS5 upgrades? This has been assumed, but look at what they are doing with Spider-Man remastered and charging $20 for that (and only by buying a certain edition of Miles). Does this mean that they will charge us for "remasters" of Ghost, Horizon 1, TLOUS2, etc.?

At least MS has been pretty open and transparent about all of this and has been talking about this for months now. So, I certainly applaud them for that and this is one area where Xbox does have an edge over Playstation.

Series X 1TB only 800gb of usable space.

Xbox Series X Internal SSD Has 802 GB of Usable Space

That's a fairly sizable chunk taken out. Does this mean the Series S will only have around 300gb of usable space??!!

I wonder if the PS5 will be comparable, meaning the 825gb internal will only be around 600gb? That's definitely an ouch.
A reminder that when 1 TB (1000 Gigabytes) is advertised, it's actually around 931 GiB (Gibbibytes). Thus, the 500 GB inside the XSS is more like 465 GiB.

1 KiB (Kibbibytes) = 1024 bytes, not 1000 bytes... Blame the ****ing marketing idiots for all this confusion.

So the PS5's 825 GB is actually around 768 GiB. Also, the PS5's SSD is on 12 channels:
PS5-SSD-Why-Is-The-PS5-SSD-825GB-768x432.jpg

So 12 * 64 GiB = 768 GiB = 825 GB, which explains the not-so-random-after-all storage amount of the PS5. :cwink:

Last edited:
A reminder that when 1 TB (1000 Gigabytes) is advertised, it's actually around 931 GiB (Gibbibytes). Thus, the 500 GB inside the XSS is more like 465 GiB.

1 KiB (Kibbibytes) = 1024 bytes, not 1000 bytes... Blame the ****ing marketing idiots for all this confusion.

So the PS5's 825 GB is actually around 768 GiB. Also, the PS5's SSD is on 12 channels:
PS5-SSD-Why-Is-The-PS5-SSD-825GB-768x432.jpg

So 12 * 64 GiB = 768 GiB = 825 GB, which explains the not-so-random-after-all storage amount of the PS5. :cwink:
well, all I know is that 825gb is smaller than 1tb. :o ;)

after having some recent frustrating experiences trying to track down and play retro Playstation consoles and games, I appreciate even more the commitment that MS is making to BC. Not only simply allowing you to play games across all prior Xbox gens on one current console (although BC is not fully 100%), but also the Series X actually improving those older games.

Sony still hasn't clearly laid out just how BC on the PS5 is going to exactly work (other than being only for PS4 games).

Like, will PS5 add the "auto-hdr" like the Series X does to old games that were designed with hdr?

How exactly are our PS4 saves going to carry over to the PS5? Cloud? USB?

For 1st party titles, will we get free PS5 upgrades? This has been assumed, but look at what they are doing with Spider-Man remastered and charging $20 for that (and only by buying a certain edition of Miles). Does this mean that they will charge us for "remasters" of Ghost, Horizon 1, TLOUS2, etc.?

At least MS has been pretty open and transparent about all of this and has been talking about this for months now. So, I certainly applaud them for that and this is one area where Xbox does have an edge over Playstation.
It seems strange given how strong their older content from even before Microsoft got into gaming is. Nintendo and Sony are the ones you’d think would be going all in on BC but maybe it’s to do with knowing that they can get people to pay again for digital versions of all the old classics they love.

It seems strange given how strong their older content from even before Microsoft got into gaming is. Nintendo and Sony are the ones you’d think would be going all in on BC but maybe it’s to do with knowing that they can get people to pay again for digital versions of all the old classics they love.
Probably they just want more remasters and remakes to come out in Ps4/5. For example, lots of Naughty Dog fans probably doupled dip buying The Last of Us and Uncharted trilogy. And ps2/3 games like Resident Evil 4/5/6/1r/0, God of War 3, Shadow of the Colossus were either ported/remastered/remade to be played on ps4. Like for some of those you don't need to double dip if you already have the game originally on 360. But in ps4, its like you need build up your library again especially if your ps3/ps2 are already broken. This neXt gen, Sony is doing it for Demons Soul. Mass Effect trilogy is coming soon based on reports and Metal Gear Solid is rumoured to be remade.

Or maybe they just don't want to support those games in ps4/ps5 especially with bugs unless its remastered or rereleased.

Probably they just want more remasters and remakes to come out in Ps4/5. For example, lots of Naughty Dog fans probably doupled dip buying The Last of Us and Uncharted trilogy. And ps2/3 games like Resident Evil 4/5/6/1r/0, God of War 3, Shadow of the Colossus were either ported/remastered/remade to be played on ps4. Like for some of those you don't need to double dip if you already have the game originally on 360. But in ps4, its like you need build up your library again especially if your ps3/ps2 are already broken. This neXt gen, Sony is doing it for Demons Soul. Mass Effect trilogy is coming soon based on reports and Metal Gear Solid is rumoured to be remade.

Or maybe they just don't want to support those games in ps4/ps5 especially with bugs unless its remastered or rereleased.
I would be happy double dipping as well as having BC. It’s a real shame they can’t give us the ultimate PS box every time a new one comes on to the market that can play everything from 1994! At least if everything I care about is available through remaster/remake that would be ok too.

I would be happy double dipping as well as having BC. It’s a real shame they can’t give us the ultimate PS box every time a new one comes on to the market that can play everything from 1994! At least if everything I care about is available through remaster/remake that would be ok too.
Yeah. it is frustrating and a shame Sony doesn't just make the ultimate Playstation that can play all gens.

I managed to find a Slim PS2 over the weekend, and now I am able to finally play that copy of FF VI I've had for ages sitting on my shelf. It was such a great feeling to hear the music and play that game for the very first time.

My goal is to start building up a retro game and console collection so that I can experience (or reexperience) those classic games from the past. Next, I'm want to get a PS3, and then move on to Sega consoles like a Dreamcast and Saturn.

It would certainly be a whole lot easier if there were one Playstation to play all gens of Playstation. Or one Nintendo console to play all Nintendo games. Or one Sega console to play all Sega games.

Xbox definitely has the better approach in this regards and I wish the other companies would follow suit.

Indeed, they'll just release remakes and remasters to sell. Nintendo just released three old Mario games running on an emulator for 60 bucks...

There's only one platform if you want true, eternal BC.

I actually wouldn't mind buying remastered collections of classic games. That would actually be easier than hunting down the original games, which can be quite pricey due to rarity.

Also, remastered games would be better optimized for our current displays (as best as possible), would be guaranteed to work on the current tv/display technology, and would possibly include trophy/achievement support that was lacking in the original game.

Yeah. it is frustrating and a shame Sony doesn't just make the ultimate Playstation that can play all gens.

I managed to find a Slim PS2 over the weekend, and now I am able to finally play that copy of FF VI I've had for ages sitting on my shelf. It was such a great feeling to hear the music and play that game for the very first time.

My goal is to start building up a retro game and console collection so that I can experience (or reexperience) those classic games from the past. Next, I'm want to get a PS3, and then move on to Sega consoles like a Dreamcast and Saturn.

It would certainly be a whole lot easier if there were one Playstation to play all gens of Playstation. Or one Nintendo console to play all Nintendo games. Or one Sega console to play all Sega games.

Xbox definitely has the better approach in this regards and I wish the other companies would follow suit.
Yeah, what I would have liked from the 3 active console makers is that every time they release a console for the gen after this that you can play everything from their back catalogue at least on that one machine, even if you have to buy everything digitally. As long as those digital purchases mean you can play those games on every new console going forward after that.

That would tempt to me to go back to buying every console and trading in for the newest console from that line continuously. So I would only ever have 3 consoles. One thing I really like doing (similar to movies) is marathoning an entire series of games. Not necessarily playing them all the way through but sampling them all, especially doing a similar thing in each and seeing how they improve over time. Imagine doing that with a long running series in 50 years from now lol.

I actually wouldn't mind buying remastered collections of classic games. That would actually be easier than hunting down the original games, which can be quite pricey due to rarity.

Also, remastered games would be better optimized for our current displays (as best as possible), would be guaranteed to work on the current tv/display technology, and would possibly include trophy/achievement support that was lacking in the original game.
Yeah, I’m quite happy with improved versions. The one thing is that every series I want needs to be available.

Yeah, what I would have liked from the 3 active console makers is that every time they release a console for the gen after this that you can play everything from their back catalogue at least on that one machine, even if you have to buy everything digitally. As long as those digital purchases mean you can play those games on every new console going forward after that.

That would tempt to me to go back to buying every console and trading in for the newest console from that line continuously. So I would only ever have 3 consoles. One thing I really like doing (similar to movies) is marathoning an entire series of games. Not necessarily playing them all the way through but sampling them all, especially doing a similar thing in each and seeing how they improve over time. Imagine doing that with a long running series in 50 years from now lol.
I actually have done that recently in Assassin's Creed games when I linked them to my Uplay account. The only game missing is the original Assassin's Creed, which should have been remastered before or after the Ezio collection. Well I didn't really play them eXcept for Origins but I at least free roamed a bit and it was nice to see how the series evolved in the last ten years, instead of just watching on YouTube. Can't do with the GTA and even Resident Evil.

I actually have done that recently in Assassin's Creed games when I linked them to my Uplay account. The only game missing is the original Assassin's Creed, which should have been remastered before or after the Ezio collection. Well I didn't really play them eXcept for Origins but I at least free roamed a bit and it was nice to see how the series evolved in the last ten years, instead of just watching on YouTube. Can't do with the GTA and even Resident Evil.
Awesome. Glad you can see the appeal of doing that too. :up:

Hey guys not sure if I should have posted this in the general Xbox One thread or this but it is concerning a Xbox accessory. I have a current 1st gent 600 Turtle Beach headset and the frame near one of the cups broke (it is not falling apart but it may get worse) I plan on upgrading to the gen 2 600, the question I have is, does all the same features that the 600 carry over to the gen 2. On my gen 1 I can turn down the audio of chat so I do not have to hear screaming kids or annoying music, can the gen 2 do this too? I saw on the package it says balance of game and chat audio so if any of you guys have a gen 2 600 let me know before I A: buy this one or B: just buy another gen 1 (they are the same $$$).

I have actually been holding off on playing some of my current games just so I can play it on the XBSX for the faster loading times like Wasteland 3 and Outer Worlds. Lately I hate the longer load times between transition areas. CyberPunk and all my older games will keep my busy.

Though we shall see, been harder to get a new job (damn Pandemic) than I thought it would be and the wife if giving me grief about the pre-order I have ($$$$)..

I have actually been holding off on playing some of my current games just so I can play it on the XBSX for the faster loading times like Wasteland 3 and Outer Worlds. Lately I hate the longer load times between transition areas. CyberPunk and all my older games will keep my busy.

Though we shall see, been harder to get a new job (damn Pandemic) than I thought it would be and the wife if giving me grief about the pre-order I have ($$$$)..
Good point. I might wait till I get a XSX before I start playing games again and at least they'll all perform better. I've been on a long break to try and organise various parts of my life so that I won't have to take a break again!

Also good luck on the jobs front. :up:

The Medium releases on December 10.

And some interesting stats for The Falconeer:

Looking forward to 4K 60FPS and massively reduced losing times next gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"