Your Favorite Batman Comic/Graphic Novel?

I would like to know what ppl see in TDKR, imo it does have a great story and a great idea, but the artwork was sub par/bad and the panels of the pages alot of the times were a mess. and the damn mutants were annoying with the repeated lines and what not
It seems like it would have been better as an a book then a graphic novel

But
1. Year One
2. The Killing Joke

Another question: what is the best noir Batman comic

Another question: what is the best noir Batman comic

Welll I'd say most modern Batman books are considered noir to some degree. Most of them emit some sort of noir style in the story-telling or artwork.

My personal favorite Batman noir story wouid have to be Year One. The Gotham Central books are up there as one of my favorite noirish stories too.

Strictly Batman titles or ones that also focus on villains? Counting just mainly Batman-oriented ones:

The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Knightfall Saga (Broken Bat, Who Rules The Night and Knightsend)
Haunted Knight

Other Batman titles that are among my favorites:

The Killing Joke
The Man Who Laughs
Catwoman: When In Rome
Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

I'm quite ashamed to say I've never read DKR, but it's on my agenda to do so. Next time I'm at either of my bookstores that carry it.

As much as I do love Year One and The Killing Joke - and they are close behind - my personal favorites are The Long Halloween and Dark Victory. DV doesn't get enough credit, but it's about as good as its predecessor.

Year One
Long Halloween
Dark Victory
The Killing Joke
Arkham Asylum

Last edited:
i think TLH & DV are meant to be 1 story, so if you include TLH, you have to include DV

The Long Halloween
Going Sane
The Killing Joke
Four Of A Kind

I recently bought Cataclysm and No mans land volume 1-5, and I enjoyed them more than I thought I would, even though they cut away the origin of Harley Quinn, and some kind of essential parts, like when catwoman gets the CD and when nightwing takes over blackgate.
Over all, I liked it a lot.

Well it was the first time we had the narrative focus on a member of the supporting cast who isn't in the Batfamily, and it was a great amalgation of pulp noir and then modern 80's sensibility. That's why it's so fondly remembered and still holds up today. They did the right thing by making this Batman's "origin" but still keeping his mystique by not telling us everything at all. Jim Gordon was finally properly fleshed out we never really got to see things from his POV before and the way it was handled was awesome.

Yes its one of the few Graphic novels in which the more I read it. The more I love it.

I like the Dark Knight Returns, but Miller's characterization of Batman in DKR bothered me a little. I can't quite put my hand on it, but I wasn't as amazed by Batman in DKR than in Miller's characterization in Year One.

It was a comic book that reminded me of the world we live in but did not compromise the more fantastical elements that makes comic books appealing to me, the perfect balance was found. To me it's my favorite piece of Batman fiction by Miller. I like DKR but it never amazed me on the level that Y1 did at all when I finally read both about 15 years back.

Exactly.

Arkham Asylum. Beautiful writing, stunning artwork, and easily my favorite portrayal of The Joker in the medium.

Arkham Asylum. Beautiful writing, stunning artwork, and easily my favorite portrayal of The Joker in the medium.

for me not only in "the" medium but in "any" medium that features batman so far. I love it, Arkham Asylum is not only my favorite Batman graphic novel, but my favorite comic book overall.

the long halloween and dark victory are pretty much tied 4 alltime favorite gn, but i'm gonna have to give it to tlh.

Batman Venom.
It portrays how easily bruce can slip away if he chooses to loose control and find other means to fight crime.

Hush (Vol 1 & 2)

85885144.jpg

I'm surprised no one appreciates Batman: Dark Legends as much as I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"