Zack Snyder Comments on Wolverine

narrows101

Reaction score
http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1883&Itemid=99

IESB: (laughter) So the past few comic book adaptations which is the one you really dug?

ZS: I guess Batman Begins is one of my favorites, of recent time, you know, I just, none of them really, has there been an R-rated graphic novel, like comic book?

IESB: V For Vendetta, I guess…

ZS: V, I guess, is the only one but, I don’t know if it counts 100%, it’s not superheroes. It would be cool, an R-rated superhero movie, that’s just cool, I don’t care what it is. Wolverine would be cool if it was rated R.

IESB: If Fox allows it.

ZS: There’s no way, no ****in’ way that movie is going to be rated-R. I read the script, it’s cool but there’s no way. They asked me about it but I just said, I don’t know. That would be a thing that, if I didn’t have Watchmen, I would be interested in Wolverine.

IESB: Lauren Schuler Donner, we talked to her, and she said they were looking for a lot of different people to direct and Hugh Jackman said they were looking at some great people to direct this thing. Was it recent talk, them wanting you to do it?

ZS: It was right before I went to go do 300, I had a brief dance with X-Men 3.

IESB: Really? No one heard that did they?

ZS: No, that was kept on the down low. I had a dinner with Donner and Hugh, they were psyched about it and they thought it was a really great meeting. And I had a meeting at Fox, where I said, it was funny because I didn’t know the plot at all, and I said, “the awesome thing about X-Men is that they’re the only superheroes who don’t want to be superheroes, that’s cool.” And I said I like that. And they said, “oh my god you know our movie is about that they have this antidote.” And I said, “oh that’s cool, you know, that’s neat.” But I just said, “Look, the deal is, I am doing this thing called 300 and I really don’t want to do anything else.” And they said, “Really? It’s X-Men, it’s awesome.” And I said, “I know it’s awesome but, 300 is kick ass and I can’t even describe to you how hard core it is.”

He made the wise choice...300 looks like its going to be 10x better than x-3.

A Zack Snyder X3 would have been great!

Glad he did 300 though...

great....so no R-rated Wolverine

that woulda been so violent and awesome

An R rating is just a dream. 300 looks amazing though, i watch the trailers in awe of what this guys done

You can't cut out all those under 17 Wolverine fans.

IESB cornered Tom Rothman on the red carpet and asked about all upcoming Fox things in a video (including another XMen). "Wolverine" is at the end - he was asked about Zack Snyder and when the movie will be done - same answer - sometime after Hugh finishes "Australia" - which hasn't started filming yet.

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_xevidmegafx&Itemid=139&func=detail&id=172

IESB cornered Tom Rothman on the red carpet and asked about all upcoming Fox things in a video (including another XMen). "Wolverine" is at the end - he was asked about Zack Snyder and when the movie will be done - same answer - sometime after Hugh finishes "Australia" - which hasn't started filming yet.

Well, we do have a sort of hint at when Australia will be done. Kidman is making a movie with Naomi Watts that will start "in late fall" when Australia is done. So "in late fall" (maybe October, November) is a time to look at.

Maybe....maybe...if all falls into place.

Well, we do have a sort of hint at when Australia will be done. Kidman is making a movie with Naomi Watts that will start "in late fall" when Australia is done. So "in late fall" (maybe October, November) is a time to look at.

Maybe....maybe...if all falls into place.
"Australia" right now is scheduled to finish in August - unless that's changed because the starting date for filming in Bowen (not sure if that's the first location or not) has been pushed back two weeks from April 29, so don't know if that will affect anything. But yeah, I expect "Australia" to be finished in the fall. Now whether they have a director by then, Hugh is available, etc. is another story.

perfect.
Jackman will be pushing 40 and unable to do his own stunts.
recast please.
re-marvel too while you're at it.

Need I remind you that Viggo Mortensen was in his early 40s when he did the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and that 65-year-old Harrison Ford is about to start a new Indiana Jones movie?

40 is so NOT old. And he's not even 40 yet.

are you really going to compare what Viggo was doing in 'The Longest Walk Ever, erm, LOTR, to what Logan does ?

are you really going to compare what Viggo was doing in 'The Longest Walk Ever, erm, LOTR, to what Logan does ?

Did you watch the version of LOTR that didn't have the battle sequences? :oldrazz:

I used to work at a movie theatre. I vividly remember taking several booster seats out of such movies as ("R" rated) Freddy vs Jason and Kill Bill. This means that some of the kids were so young that they needed a boost to see over the seat in front of them! (and no there weren't any midgets around.) Rated "R" doesn't mean what it used to. Parents don't care anymore. If little Timmy or Susie want to go see Sin City with Ma and Pa they drag 'em right along. Or the younguns will go to the picture with their nineteen year old brother. They'll find a way. I think an "R" rated Wolvie movie would rake in the dough. Maybe even more than a corny "PG-13" would.

I used to work at a movie theatre. I vividly remember taking several booster seats out of such movies as ("R" rated) Freddy vs Jason and Kill Bill. This means that some of the kids were so young that they needed a boost to see over the seat in front of them! (and no there weren't any midgets around.) Rated "R" doesn't mean what it used to. Parents don't care anymore. If little Timmy or Susie want to go see Sin City with Ma and Pa they drag 'em right along. Or the younguns will go to the picture with their nineteen year old brother. They'll find a way. I think an "R" rated Wolvie movie would rake in the dough. Maybe even more than a corny "PG-13" would.
"R" does mean "no one under 17 admitted without an adult" so if an adult is with them the kid can get in. But I know many parents who won't let kids into "R" movies - my best friend who has a 10 year old always looks at ratings and says "it's rated R, you can't go." Depends on the parents, but it's also true about going in with an older friend or just sneaking in. I'm really referring to really young kids and a lot of them are Wolverine fans.

I can top that...I saw a re-release of The Exorcist a few years ago and the people in front me brought two 6-year-olds. :wow:

There are just dumb parents out there. But a PG-13 isn't marketed to little kids...it's that teenage crowd they need to make their money. R-rated means the under-17s, who were able to see all of the X-Men movies, are blocked out of this one. That's got to be at least half of their box office take right there.

I saw Christian Bale get asked the same question about a Batman sequel, and he said the same thing...they can do it, but they won't.

It's interesting how Synder commented on what I was saying all along. The script may be cool and all, but it's going to be watered down for the kiddies who want to see Wolverine.

It's nice to see that he is echoing sentiments on how Wolverine SHOULD be done.

As far as Batman Begins is concerned? It would be nice if the upcoming stories with the Joker/Two-Face were Rated R, but we all know that's not going to happen. :csad:

It's interesting how Synder commented on what I was saying all along. The script may be cool and all, but it's going to be watered down for the kiddies who want to see Wolverine.

That's not what he said at all. He said:

"There’s no way, no ****in’ way that movie is going to be rated-R. I read the script, it’s cool but there’s no way. They asked me about it but I just said, I don’t know. That would be a thing that, if I didn’t have Watchmen, I would be interested in Wolverine."

He's actually saying what I've been saying...that there's no way it would be rated R. Nothing about your kiddies or watering anything down.

In fact, he said the script was cool. And in this interview, he says he would be interesting in doing it if it wasn't already commited to Watchtmen.

And for the record, I would love to see Zack Snyder involved...I think he directed the only recent horror movie remake (Dawn of the Dead) that was actually worth watching.

"R" does mean "no one under 17 admitted without an adult" so if an adult is with them the kid can get in. But I know many parents who won't let kids into "R" movies - my best friend who has a 10 year old always looks at ratings and says "it's rated R, you can't go." Depends on the parents, but it's also true about going in with an older friend or just sneaking in. I'm really referring to really young kids and a lot of them are Wolverine fans.

Now I admit, I have two kids, and yes I have on occasion allowed them to see an "R" rated film. But that is always at home, and always having screened the thing first. Some of the horror films they love to watch are "R" rated, but often it is what I would call a soft "R". No sex, just horror stuff.

So if this thing would go the "R" route, for let's say violence, and no sex, I would allow them to see it on DVD. I guess it all depends on the parent, and the situations. But for me, it all depends on the content. Heck, you see worse things on TV.

The real question is: Is Snyder right for an X-movie?

300 looks visually thrilling in a very CGI, stylised way - it follows the graphic novel panels but not the story in every way (and the story itself is not historically accurate - the Persians never went into battle using giant rhinos!), it includes a raunchy sex scene.... It remains to be seen whether it has the 'heart and soul' required for an X-movie or whether it will be style over substance...

I think Zack might have done a very good X3... but I'm not sure he could do Wolverine the way people want it done.

Now I admit, I have two kids, and yes I have on occasion allowed them to see an "R" rated film. But that is always at home, and always having screened the thing first. Some of the horror films they love to watch are "R" rated, but often it is what I would call a soft "R". No sex, just horror stuff.

So if this thing would go the "R" route, for let's say violence, and no sex, I would allow them to see it on DVD. I guess it all depends on the parent, and the situations. But for me, it all depends on the content. Heck, you see worse things on TV.

My parents were the same way...if the R was questionable, they would find out about it first or see it for themselves and decide what we could see from there, and it would usually wait until cable. I saw my friends do the same thing with their kids during the last Star Wars movie, since it was PG-13, as well as Batman Begins.

Those ratings are a guide, but it depends on the content and what you know your kid can handle. (I still remember my mom's "Not until you're 30!!!" review of Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom when I was a kid. :oldrazz:

The real question is: Is Snyder right for an X-movie?

300 looks visually thrilling in a very CGI, stylised way - it follows the graphic novel panels but not the story in every way (and the story itself is not historically accurate - the Persians never went into battle using giant rhinos!), it includes a raunchy sex scene.... It remains to be seen whether it has the 'heart and soul' required for an X-movie or whether it will be style over substance...

I think Zack might have done a very good X3... but I'm not sure he could do Wolverine the way people want it done.

Yeah, I think he can. Have you seen the Dawn of the Dead remake? It opened with one of the scariest opening scenes I've ever seen, it was gory, it was scary, it was funny, and it was even a halfway decent action film as well.

I am completely anti-horror movie remakes, but I loved this one. 300 is the first movie this year I've really looked forward to, and I've heard some great things about it so far...I think he'd be perfect for Wolverine or an X-Men film. Sounds like he wants to do one, too.

Yeah, I think he can. Have you seen the Dawn of the Dead remake? It opened with one of the scariest opening scenes I've ever seen, it was gory, it was scary, it was funny, and it was even a halfway decent action film as well.

I am completely anti-horror movie remakes, but I loved this one. 300 is the first movie this year I've really looked forward to, and I've heard some great things about it so far...I think he'd be perfect for Wolverine or an X-Men film. Sounds like he wants to do one, too.

Dawn of the Dead isn't my thing, it just isn't. I don't like gorefests or generic horror, I'm not at all squeamish but it just isn't my idea of entertainment.

I'll be seeing 300, then I will be able to make my judgement on Zack. But it sounds like he is interested in doing an X-movie. What do you think the chances are?

(Just got chance to see, on DVD, the remake of The Wicker Man tonight. I confirmed to myself that I don't like Nicolas Cage, so am even more wary of Ghost Rider now. The Wicker Cage remake was appalling, for anyone who hasn't seen it... Cage overacts and runs around yelling, the dialogue is dreadful. I couldn't wait for them to set fire to that effigy)

Did you watch the version of LOTR that didn't have the battle sequences? :oldrazz:

Exactally. The fencing expert that worked with Viggo on LOTR says he was the best fencer he ever taught...so I'm going to have to say that Viggo's probably a pretty good athlete.

Dawn of the Dead isn't my thing, it just isn't. I don't like gorefests or generic horror, I'm not at all squeamish but it just isn't my idea of entertainment.

I despise gorefests, which is why I can't wait for the current Saw/Hostel trend in the movies to run its course so we can get some real horror movies back again. I love horror movies though, and that one did it just right.

I had heard his name in the mix for X3 awhile back, he says in the interview he won't be able to do Wolverine because of his commitment to Watchmen. So I would doubt him being involved with anything X-related in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"