• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smallville 11.1 - Guardian - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I mean that he's not nearly as good at drawing Tom Welling as he is Christopher Reeve. But that's his first attempt so I'm not gonna burn him at the stake for it lol. When I see his next Smallville covers I'll be able to make more decent judgment.

The frank cover isn't as good as the kat one. And heck we don't even know how the real interial artist work will look.

captain-obvious-to-the-rescue.jpg

I was only getting at that we don't know how to judge how the book artist is vs the two covers. But from the stuff folks have posted. I can't wait to see how the inner art is.

I was only getting at that we don't know how to judge how the book artist is vs the two covers. But from the stuff folks have posted. I can't wait to see how the inner art is.

Me too.

Media Geek Exclusive Interview: Bryan Q. Miller on Smallville Season 11

I love this part from Bryan

"What he’s got now that he didn’t have before is literally almost a partner in Lois Lane. So [she is] kind of a Jiminy Cricket for him and also someone he can be completely and totally open and honest with. She’s totally in the know, so she’s kind of his…not just his comrade, but also his conscience. Even though he can fly now, Lois still very much helps keep him grounded. So that can only help his career as Superman."

Just listened to that myself. Sounds a good way for supes/lois.

Wow, after all these years it almost feels surreal to listen people call Clark Superman now. But damn it, he finally is. He indeed is Supes now lol. Nice interview by Bryan.

Media Geek Exclusive Interview: Bryan Q. Miller on Smallville Season 11

I love this part from Bryan

"What he’s got now that he didn’t have before is literally almost a partner in Lois Lane. So [she is] kind of a Jiminy Cricket for him and also someone he can be completely and totally open and honest with. She’s totally in the know, so she’s kind of his…not just his comrade, but also his conscience. Even though he can fly now, Lois still very much helps keep him grounded. So that can only help his career as Superman."

Nice find. Liked Miller's insights into what's coming even though he did say "Chris Reeves" *sigh*

Gary Frank is a great artist, especially with his Reeve version of Superman. The art alone is what made me buy Superman: Secret Origin and Superman: Brainiac. I love how much it resembles Reeve and (Kidder as Lois to some extent.)

I will say though, I'm not a big fan of the new costume look, though I'm guessing that it has to change because of the movie and lawsuit issues. But still I wish I could see Welling in comic form similar to the way Frank illustrated Reeve with the traditional costume. In fact, I started this drawing during the summer and finally finished the coloring this past weekend. It's based on a drawing of Frank's Superman in Secret Origin, only with Welling's face.

Superman2.jpg

Gary Frank is a great artist, especially with his Reeve version of Superman. The art alone is what made me buy Superman: Secret Origin and Superman: Brainiac. I love how much it resembles Reeve and (Kidder as Lois to some extent.)

I will say though, I'm not a big fan of the new costume look, though I'm guessing that it has to change because of the movie and lawsuit issues. But still I wish I could see Welling in comic form similar to the way Frank illustrated Reeve with the traditional costume. In fact, I started this drawing during the summer and finally finished the coloring this past weekend. It's based on a drawing of Frank's Superman in Secret Origin, only with Welling's face.

Superman2.jpg

That looks AWESOME!

Superman2.jpg

that looks incredible man :up: At first I thought this was the art from the book. I know it's not but it SHOULD be.

That's why I say Frank is an incredible artist. Great job for putting Tom's face on it. I really hope Gary proves us wrong that he can only draw Reeve-inspired Superman.

well remember frank isnt doing the book's art, just some covers.

Superman2.jpg

SEE NOW THAT's HOW SUPERMAN Should look like. :applaud:super::applaud

well remember frank isnt doing the book's art, just some covers.

Yeah, but unfortunately a lot of comicbooks' art is initially judged by the cover. That's why when the cover artist is different than the interior artist it can get tricky. That's something I'm personally not always a fan of cuz I believe there should be some sort of consistency between covers and interiors. If it's a variant cover, then by all means make it look as different as they want. But if it's not then for the lack of a better phrase, it kind of takes away the feeling a little. We'll see, that's only nitpicking after all. And I still hope Frank gives us a better looking Tom Welling down the line.

PS: This is Frank's variant cover for Action Comics this month with the New 52 Superman:

AC_Cv8_var_ajksdf67892643.jpg

Last edited:
That looks AWESOME!

that looks incredible man :up: At first I thought this was the art from the book. I know it's not but it SHOULD be.

SEE NOW THAT's HOW SUPERMAN Should look like. :applaud:super::applaud
Thanks guys, and yeah this is definitely my ideal vision of Superman, both in face and costume. I only wish we could see something similar, especially with a comic based on Smallville.
Yeah, but unfortunately a lot of comicbooks' art is initially judged by the cover. That's why when the cover artist is different than the interior artist it can get tricky. That's something I'm personally not always a fan of cuz I believe there should be some sort of consistency between covers and interiors. If it's a variant cover, then by all means make it look as different as they want. But if it's not then for the lack of a better phrase, it kind of takes away the feeling a little. We'll see, that's only nitpicking after all. And I still hope Frank gives us a better looking Tom Welling down the line.

I completely agree. Personally, I've never been a huge comic reader so I don't have to many, but usually for me, the biggest thing that draws me to a comic is the art style. For example, I got Secret Origin and Brainiac because I liked the style and the resemblance to Reeve. But /i believe there was a comic that continued that story arc with New Krypton and the first few pages were done by Frank, whereas the rest were done by someone else with a completely different art style. It really turned me away from that book so I didn't bother.

The same thing happened recently with a comic cover of the Green Arrow wearing the Smallville costume, and I was interested in the look and style, but the inside was different and it turned me away. I've seen other work from the cover artist on his deviantart page and he does excellent work, but I noticed a lot of it is only for covers and variant covers which I think does take away from the consistency and experience, at least for me.

^^ It certainly does. Same thing goes for Smallville here. If a Smallville fan who doesn't know the details about S11 and only sees GF's cover and dislikes it, they wouldn't even bother to read the comic cuz they would think the interior has the same art the cover does. Covers do have big significance for the over-all experience indeed.

oh i totally agree johnny, the cover art should be done by interior artist, unless of course they are doing a special variant cover/covers series which is when a different artist should be brought in.

as cool as a comic is i don't think i can get into it like i did the show. hard to believe it's been off the air for almost a year now. if they wanted to continue it soo bad they should of onscreen. the fanbase would and still is there for smallville.

The thing is the fanbase they had wasn't that big, especially compared to ratings for other shows on other networks and the CW. Smallville has constantly dropped in viewership season after season, so the fact that they were allowed to finish the series on their terms as opposed to being cancelled is something tht we should all be grateful for.

Not to mention, the show has now become a Superman show, so if they had wanted an eleventh season, it would not have been about Clark being Superman with the tights and flights because now it would be a different show and they would have to raise the bar to a level where it would consistently have to be on par with episodes such as Absolute Justice on a weekly basis, in terms of storyline and hero presence. And Smallville was never really about that. And with the low budget they already had, there's no way they could've built it for another season or two.

But I agree, I know it will be hard to get into the comics, especially since I've never been much of a comic book reader, and all of the magic that comes from seeing Tom and Erica on screen on a weekly basis is not going to be there. I just hope they come up with some cool stories and art styles that do the show some justice.

I dont think it will be that hard to get into it as a comic.

just found some new details on sv comic:
http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/122/1221300p1.html
On When Smallville: Season 11 Is Set:

So in the finale, there was this seven year time jump that went to everyone seven years in the future. We are not that far in. We're six months after Clark became Superman for the first time and pushed Apokolips out of orbit, because we had a proto-Darkseid causing some chaos and Apokolips was going to crash into Earth and people were not happy! Superman saved Air Force One with Lois on it and then he pushed the planet out of orbit. So it's kind of Superman: Year One with a Smallville cast of characters.

On Whether Or Not We'll See The Likes Of Batman And Wonder Woman:

People keep asking that, it's the weirdest thing! [laughs] There's certainly a chance for lots of DC guest stars to show up, and lots of DC guest stars will show up. But the focus is primarily on Clark as Superman. So if they do come in, just like they did on the show, it would somehow have to inform what Clark is going through. I mean there's a cast of at least five characters, possibly more, who are regulars in the comics. It's definitely an ensemble piece, so people will come in and out but there's already a very large pool of characters to play with.

On The Status Of Lex Luthor In The Series:

I would say that the situation you have is a Lex Luthor who has lost his memory after he killed his half-sister Tess. Whether or not he remembers that moment could be up for debate. He definitely came back into the world with Apokolips in the sky and a dead Tess on the floor in his office. Our cast knows that the last person to see Tess alive was Lex, so whether or not he remembers it, I think that is kind of a dark stain on Lex's "new man" status. They all know that even though he may say it was just a suicide, they don't really believe that after everything Tess went through she would do that. Whether or not there are consequences to it, even if she's not there I think Tess is still very present.

On Introducing New Characters And The Chances Of Seeing Connor Kent Return:

In the first arc, we meet a former astronaut named Hank Henshaw. As for Superboy, at least not at first. Because he's tied to Martha, since she's kind of custodian for him now. I think there is an opportunity for the younger tier of heroes that we've set up, if not the Titans, then… well, we've had Blue Beetle on the show, our version of the Wonder Twins on the show, Mia never quite reached Speedy but that's not saying she can't become Speedy officially. There's definitely something to be explored in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"