2016 Primaries and Caucuses Thread - Part 1

Tonights the night where it all begins. For whoever becomes our next President, the road begins here. Place your bets on who will win. Make fun of a party making bad choices. Enjoy discussing the results of the nomination process!

It's ironic that Republicans are complaining about voter rights.

Blacks - "Yeah, that must suck"

(from the previous thread)

DDS said:
I'm not opposed to closed primaries like NY has, but having the voter registration deadline in October was totally crazy. I don't think it needs to be any more than a month away from the contest.

The registration think definitely was a huge screw up, but in general NY has no early voting laws(which I don't think is a biggy for a primary but it's a problem in general elections). Dems love going after republican run states for voter disenfranchisement, I think NY deserves a little kick in the butt for some of it's issues.

Nobody's talking about this?

No less a personage than the NYC Comptroller, whose job it is to crunch numbers when something looks fishy, has called into question, by implication, the New York primary results. Comptroller Scott Stringer has "confirmed" that "more than 125,000 voters in Brooklyn were removed from voter rolls." Brooklyn is one of five NY Boroughs. Multiply that by five and you get 625,000 voters. And that's just the city. 1.7 million voters officially turned out for the NY Democratic primary. It takes no genius to see that's a game changer, and a big one.
Comptroller Stringer said in a scathing press release:
“There is nothing more sacred in our nation than the right to vote, yet election after election, reports come in of people who were inexplicably purged from the polls, told to vote at the wrong location or unable to get in to their polling site,” Comptroller Stringer said. “The people of New York City have lost confidence that the Board of Elections..."
Stringer is a Hillary superdelegate. And even he says it stinks. You can't get politically covered any better than that.

Source: http://hubpages.com/politics/Bernie-Saying-the-Hillary-Cheating-is-Disgraceful-is-Not-Enough

Cruz and Kasich have teamed up to stop Trump. Kasich has conceded Indiana to Cruz while he has done the same for Kasich in Oregon and New Mexico.

Cruz and Kasich have teamed up to stop Trump. Kasich has conceded Indiana to Cruz while he has done the same for Kasich in Oregon and New Mexico.

tumblr_n6r8l9Yjwf1qm3rsfo1_500.gif

So do this mean if Cruz gets to be candidate he will choose Kasich as his VP?

Trump will get the nomination. The "Never Trump" movement was pathetic like everything else the Republican has given us for over a decade.

It almost makes no sense why they decided to break the states up like that, besides either one or both underperforming in states that should essentially be their backyards. You'd think Cruz would be performing better in NM since he's from TX and likewise for Kasich in IN considering he's from OH.

The only really sane split is Kasich in OR since his more moderate stances fits in with the state more than Cruz's overly conservative nature. From people I've talked to in my area of OR, the only names that come up are Trump or Kasich.

After this little stunt it should tell voters who they should really be supporting.

This is a battle versus American Globalism vs Nation State America. We'll see what happens but it's an uphill battle for Trump and the people.

Why those states? Seems an odd combination.

I still plan on voting for Kasich here in Indiana. Can't bring myself to vote for Cruz.

I'm not sure I'm seeing how well the Cruz/Kasich plan is going to work since it only concerns ad spending and holding rallies in each state and not about coordinating who to actually vote for. They seem to think that the votes will go to the one actually placing ads in the state versus the one who isn't. As evidence, Kasich told a dinner in Philadelphia that people should still vote for him if they support him, even if he doesn't intend to visit.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...00-kasich-indiana-voters-ought-to-vote-for-me

I'm not sure I'm seeing how well the Cruz/Kasich plan is going to work since it only concerns ad spending and holding rallies in each state and not about coordinating who to actually vote for. They seem to think that the votes will go to the one actually placing ads in the state versus the one who isn't. As evidence, Kasich told a dinner in Philadelphia that people should still vote for him if they support him, even if he doesn't intend to visit.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...00-kasich-indiana-voters-ought-to-vote-for-me

I hope Kasich and Cruz realize, even if they do stop Trump from getting the delegates he needs, neither of them will get the nomination....It'll be someone already in bed with the Republican elite...

Why those states? Seems an odd combination.

I still plan on voting for Kasich here in Indiana. Can't bring myself to vote for Cruz.

Kasich probably conceded Indiana because it's a winner-take-all state and Cruz getting all those delegates would hurt Trump more than Kasich doing so, and because Cruz is doing better than Kasich in the polls there.

I hope Kasich and Cruz realize, even if they do stop Trump from getting the delegates he needs, neither of them will get the nomination....It'll be someone already in bed with the Republican elite...

I used to think that too, now I think there's a pretty compelling case for Cruz. His platform is very similar to Trump which might ease his fan base, he at least has experience in the Senate even if his peers really hate him, the delegates that are part of the right-wing grassroots seem to like him, and he not only actually ran but will get second place, which will also make it look less like they "stole" the nom. They can run a "true conservative" in 2016, inevitably lose the White House but maybe save Congress, and come back in 2020 with a "moderate" that could very well unseat Hillary.

Last edited:

First of all, the New York City Board of Elections has nothing to do with Hillary Clinton. This is their fault. Their mistakes are their own. Not Hillary's.

Secondly Stinger doesnt say anything about Hillary being the reason for this.

(New York, NY) – With the New York City Board of Elections confirming that more than 125,000 voters in Brooklyn were removed from voter rolls and widespread reports of voters having trouble accessing polling sites and other polling irregularities, New York City Comptroller Scott M. Stringer announced today that his office would undertake an audit of the operations and management of the Board of Elections. “There is nothing more sacred in our nation than the right to vote, yet election after election, reports come in of people who were inexplicably purged from the polls, told to vote at the wrong location or unable to get in to their polling site,” Comptroller Stringer said. “The people of New York City have lost confidence that the Board of Elections can effectively administer elections and we intend to find out why the BOE is so consistently disorganized, chaotic and inefficient. With four elections in New York City in 2016 alone, we don’t have a moment to spare.”

See more at: http://comptroller.nyc.gov/newsroom...-announces-audit-of-board-of-elections/#.dpuf

This is a Board of Elections **** up due to poor management. Not something a candidate did themself.

I was told once that I had to vote at the wrong place and Im pretty sure Hillary ****ing Clinton wasnt behind it. Nor was any other candidate. It was just a local ****up. Come on, people, use some common sense. State election boards and election management in general is always piss poor. There will always always always be errors and screw ups at the polls. The running and management of election boards and most polls is generally haphazard. Its not a conspiracy. Its just poor management.

Only Republicans suppress voters. Did you get the memo?

There is a big difference between polling place issues and Board of Elections screwups at a local level and the GOP forcing through restrictive legislation that makes it harder for minorities nationwide to vote.

Last edited:
Looks like the Cruz/Kasich deal is backfiring.

From MSNBC reporter Tony Dokoupil
tonydokoupil ‎@tonydokoupil
At IN's largest early voting site today, I found more Kasich voters who flipped to Trump...than Cruz.

From WaPO reporter Dave Weigel
daveweigel ✔ ‎@daveweigel
Kasich canvasser in his hometown tells me Cruz/Kasich should have kept deal quiet; he's meeting voters who switched to Trump bc of it

As it should, you don't advertise that type of thing....that was just stupid on their part.

Yep, this deal should never have been made public. But I can't understand how anyone who was a backer of Kasich could turn around and back Trump. They're complete opposite ends of the Republican spectrum...

As it should, you don't advertise that type of thing....that was just stupid on their part.

They had to go public to inform their Super PACS, it is illegal for them to coordinate with Super PACS so they went public to inform them of the deal...

This whole "alliance" did more to help Trump as it fits his "game is rigged agenda"... I really think we may see President Trump due to the incompentence of the RNC and DNC...They play right into his hands...

Amazingly he has spent the least amount of money out of all Presidential candidates thus far...

Yep, this deal should never have been made public. But I can't understand how anyone who was a backer of Kasich could turn around and back Trump. They're complete opposite ends of the Republican spectrum...
They actually really aren't. Besides a few minor differences in their platforms, the biggest differences are in experience, temperament and branding.

They actually really aren't. Besides a few minor differences in their platforms, the biggest differences are in experience, temperament and branding.

The differences between their positions on immigration, trade, foreign affairs, and entitlements are not minor.

The prople that jumped from Kasich to Trump may have been turned off by Cruz's weird hardcore religious evangelicalism.

On another note, hopefully tonight puts a fork in Sanders. If he doesnt win in myltiple states tonight by double digits I cant wait to hear one of his team members telling us how he can still totally be the nominee.

Also, Hillary has picked up 16 more superdelegates putting her at 518 superdelegates.

Berbie picked up 1 more superdelegate putting him at 39 superdelegates.

Last edited:
First of all, the New York City Board of Elections has nothing to do with Hillary Clinton. This is their fault. Their mistakes are their own. Not Hillary's.

Secondly Stinger doesnt say anything about Hillary being the reason for this.

This is a Board of Elections **** up due to poor management. Not something a candidate did themself.

I was told once that I had to vote at the wrong place and Im pretty sure Hillary ****ing Clinton wasnt behind it. Nor was any other candidate. It was just a local ****up. Come on, people, use some common sense. State election boards and election management in general is always piss poor. There will always always always be errors and screw ups at the polls. The running and management of election boards and most polls is generally haphazard. Its not a conspiracy. Its just poor management.

There is a big difference between polling place issues and Board of Elections screwups at a local level and the GOP forcing through restrictive legislation that makes it harder for minorities nationwide to vote.

As someone who lives in NY, I can attest to NY constantly screwing things up. They're the perfect example of good intentions but always botch it up in execution. Even something as simple as scanning a driver's license is done ineptly in NY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"