6.17 Combat - Discussion Thread (spoilers)

I just love resurrecting old threads. Just wait until my Noir and Prototype reviews finally (if ever) get posted. :p

I thought this was an excellent commentary on Combat and the significance of Lois and Clark's smokin' hot leather duds - besides just the smokin' hot factor.

from Huzzlewhat:
What is fascinating about "Combat" is who puts on the symbolic red when Clark switches to black. And yes, the neck to foot red leather does look unfortunately Britney Spears-ish, but the importance is the color, first and foremost. Lois dons the hero color, and when it comes down to the fight with Titan, Lois jumps into the fray for the reason that Clark should be there. While Clark, really, just wants to just let loose and kick some ass, Lois jumps on Titan's back in an effort to protect Clark. It's foolish, and silly, and a bit laughable, but her protective impulse is genuine. And that's the turning point for Clark in the fight, when he suddenly finds a purpose — a protective "leave her alone!" — instead of just looking for some of the old ultra-violence, and starts holding his own. Lois, of course, is conveniently unconscious by this point, but she was the catalyst. And when the fight is over, Clark goes to her side. Their love affair may be years away still, but she is still the one who re-engages his concern for human beings.

I just love resurrecting old threads. Just wait until my Noir and Prototype reviews finally (if ever) get posted. :p

I thought this was an excellent commentary on Combat and the significance of Lois and Clark's smokin' hot leather duds - besides just the smokin' hot factor.

from Huzzlewhat:
What is fascinating about "Combat" is who puts on the symbolic red when Clark switches to black. And yes, the neck to foot red leather does look unfortunately Britney Spears-ish, but the importance is the color, first and foremost. Lois dons the hero color, and when it comes down to the fight with Titan, Lois jumps into the fray for the reason that Clark should be there. While Clark, really, just wants to just let loose and kick some ass, Lois jumps on Titan's back in an effort to protect Clark. It's foolish, and silly, and a bit laughable, but her protective impulse is genuine. And that's the turning point for Clark in the fight, when he suddenly finds a purpose — a protective "leave her alone!" — instead of just looking for some of the old ultra-violence, and starts holding his own. Lois, of course, is conveniently unconscious by this point, but she was the catalyst. And when the fight is over, Clark goes to her side. Their love affair may be years away still, but she is still the one who re-engages his concern for human beings.

Excellent points!

:up:

Thanks for posting that.

Yeah, thanks Serene. I love reading posts like that. When people can look beyond what's seen on the surface. Good stuff! :up:

I'v been going back and reading alot of the LJ reviews lately and the interesting thing I've noticed is how most of them think that Smallville is better viewed on a symbolic level rather than a textual level. I think there's alot of truth in that.

from Huzzlewhat:

Oh, wow! Very insightful. Thanks for sharing, Rene. :yay:

yeah, i was kind of expecting Lois to do a bit of a dance number on Titan.

It looks like that wrestler chick that was in this episode is in this season's Survivor...

:confused:

Is CBS starting to cross-promote/stunt cast with their sister netlet, The CW? (CBS's parent company, Viacom, is part owner of The CW...)

Or is she not still an active member of the WWE?

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_china/2007_Jun_19_wwe_ashley

A WWE wrestler was recruited to join the cast of Survivor China, according to reports.

“CBS contacted WWE and asked them to send them someone that would make a good television character,” ProWrestling.com reports, citing the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. “With WWE already being low on male talent, it was obvious that they would send a diva. Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn both felt pretty strong about giving Ashley the role, especially Dunn.”

And her role was so insignificant in "Combat". :down

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_china/2007_Jun_19_wwe_ashley

A WWE wrestler was recruited to join the cast of Survivor China, according to reports.

“CBS contacted WWE and asked them to send them someone that would make a good television character,” ProWrestling.com reports, citing the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. “With WWE already being low on male talent, it was obvious that they would send a diva. Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn both felt pretty strong about giving Ashley the role, especially Dunn.”

And her role was so insignificant in "Combat". :down

I think she's going to have her ass handed to her on silver plate. She spent most of the first episode sick as a dog. After hurling (off-camera, thank goodness) she laid on the ground in a pathetic ball, shivering and miserable.

I felt sorry for her, but there is some sort of wrestling challenge next week that they imply she kicks butt in. It looks like it takes place in some muddy water that looks a lot like a rice paddy

Oh, and she wears a bikini top that barely covers everything. I'm sure that will do interesting things when she's wrestling with other girls...

They've already had to blur out at least one Janet Jackson moment for her.

It's clear she wasn't cast for her talent.

:rolleyes:

I hope she gets voted off next week.

:down

None of the girls on the Diva Search are cast because of their talent, they are cast because they have huge knockers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"