6.17 Combat - Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Zorex said:
See, I don't see last week as THE Big Reveal. She saw him use some of his powers, admit that he still loves her, but, yet again, no mention of how or why he has powers. Even Lionel said nothing specific, assuming Lana had found out the whole shebang, when she didn't. There's still a good chance for a Big Reveal scene, probably not this season, where she gets the whole story. I loved how close we got to seeing some sort of reconciliation between the two last week, closer than EVER, but, in a great, tragic twist, were denied it again.

I agree with that. The other thing to note as well, is that Clark doesnt know that she knows. So its still possible for him to reveal his secret to Lana and that the impact will be just as effective as it was when he told Chloe.

He seems to be taking Ollie’s advice in that regard, and that was who tipped him off to the “Krypto Fight Club” in the first place.

Did Ollie tip him off? I thought Clark approached him for a password, 'cause you needed some money, in order to get that.

Here’s a hint Clark; you know that Fortress that you powered back up after Fallout, you might want to try starting there

I think the fact that Clark said he didnt know how to get rid of them without killing them, more or less implied that this was his last resort, and had actually had a conversation with Jor-el about it. Jor-el also said in Zod that the only way to get rid of Zod was to kill him.

I'm not so put off by Clark playing bad cop. He did tell Martha that the meteor freaks were putting up a fight, so it required a little more force than usual, and lets face it, Clark can knock someone unconscious without actually hurting them too much. See Lois in Hypnotic. Also throwing the doctor over the car, was just the usual Throwing the Bad Guy Around on Smallville Gag.

Otherwise, putting aside that you should have asked me to proof read it before it was posted ;) , that was a good review and I agreed with alot of your points.

Did Ollie tip him off? I thought Clark approached him for a password, 'cause you needed some money, in order to get that.

Doesn't he say to chloe that ollie tipped him off? i thought ollie found it because he had the money and he is around a circle of people with money that would have come across it.

I didnt mean that every single action is rehearsed, but a lot of the "big" moves and the ones that take coordination are. A few years ago I spent about 2 hours in an airport bar in Dallas waiting out a hail storm and shooting the **** with Mick Foley (aka "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan) and he pretty much told me that they rehearse the big complicated finishing moves to ensure that no one gets hurt and the wrestlers are used to the "body positioning" (whatever the hell that means?) of their opponent.

How wrong you are. To start with Mick Foley is not Hacksaw Jim Duggan so god knows who you were even talking to. Hacksaw on the left Foley on the right.

21.jpg
URL]

If any thing the big moves would be the last ones they rehearse, when you consider most matches usually end with a simple move like Sweet Chin Music or the choke slam, which Kane did in this episode.
As for the big moves in a match there is no way they practice them beforehand, to take one of your examples of a wrestler Mick Foley do you think he practiced being thrown of a 20ft steel cell before he did it for real, no ****ing way. Also how do you practice being thrown shirtless into hundreds of thumbtacks or diving head first into fire to make sure you don't get hurt? I'd like to here how.

I'm getting my information from autobiographies by Mick Foley, The Rock, Shawn Michaels and Stone Cold Steve Austin who between them have held the World title 22 times.

I didnt mean that every single action is rehearsed, but a lot of the "big" moves and the ones that take coordination are. A few years ago I spent about 2 hours in an airport bar in Dallas waiting out a hail storm and shooting the **** with Mick Foley (aka "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan) and he pretty much told me that they rehearse the big complicated finishing moves to ensure that no one gets hurt and the wrestlers are used to the "body positioning" (whatever the hell that means?) of their opponent.

How wrong you are. To start with Mick Foley is not Hacksaw Jim Duggan so god knows who you were even talking to. Hacksaw on the left Foley on the right.

21.jpg
URL]

If any thing the big moves would be the last ones they rehearse, when you consider most matches usually end with a simple move like Sweet Chin Music or the choke slam, which Kane did in this episode.
As for the big moves in a match there is no way they practice them beforehand, to take one of your examples of a wrestler Mick Foley do you think he practiced being thrown of a 20ft steel cell before he did it for real, no ****ing way. Also how do you practice being thrown shirtless into hundreds of thumbtacks or diving head first into fire to make sure you don't get hurt? I'd like to here how.

I'm getting my information from autobiographies by Mick Foley, The Rock, Shawn Michaels and Stone Cold Steve Austin who between them have held the World title 22 times.

^ he told me his name was Mick Foley, I thought he looked like Hacksaw which was one of the last guys I remember from watching that stuff, so that's who I assumed he was. Our convo really didnt revolve him as much as it did wrestling in general. A few people came up to him and asked him for autographs while I was there, so I believe he was who he said he was.

you state that like it's something they've actually achieved themselves. That's like me crediting Bruce Willis for saving Nokatomi Plaza and Dulles Airport. It's a fictional achievement.

he said that Ollie tipped him off to it, and bought him the link and password.

I think the fact that Clark said he didnt know how to get rid of them without killing them, more or less implied that this was his last resort, and had actually had a conversation with Jor-el about it. Jor-el also said in Zod that the only way to get rid of Zod was to kill him.

that's a big assumption that I didnt get at all. I dont think that's something that should've been implied if it was, that could've been solved with 1 line of dialogue.

I'm not so put off by Clark playing bad cop. He did tell Martha that the meteor freaks were putting up a fight, so it required a little more force than usual, and lets face it, Clark can knock someone unconscious without actually hurting them too much. See Lois in Hypnotic. Also throwing the doctor over the car, was just the usual Throwing the Bad Guy Around on Smallville Gag.

As a defensive measure I dont mind it, but using his powers offensively just to piss the guy off it bothered me. Like I said, he couldve shown his powers to the guy in other ways.

Otherwise, putting aside that you should have asked me to proof read it before it was posted ;) , that was a good review and I agreed with alot of your points.

:confused: I did proofread it. :(

he said that Ollie tipped him off to it, and bought him the link and password.

I obviously need to watch that again, since you and O4nbod have both pointed out that it was Ollie. Its hard to catch all the exposition some times when there is alot of action.

that's a big assumption that I didnt get at all. I dont think that's something that should've been implied if it was, that could've been solved with 1 line of dialogue.

Well lots of things can be solved with one line of dialogue, but they often use lines like "I cant send them back to the Phantom Zone and I cant let them run around free" as a means of covering what otherwise could take alot of scenes.

Knowing how Clark does feel about taking the life of another, isnt it reasonable to assume that he's covered all his bases and that there are only certain methods of disposing of them available to him. The crystal or killing them.

As a defensive measure I dont mind it, but using his powers offensively just to piss the guy off it bothered me. Like I said, he couldve shown his powers to the guy in other ways.

He did. Anyone with a bit of strength could throw another guy around, but catching a bullet is something very rare. He had to piss the guy off enough so he would pull the gun on him, and subsequently want to include Clark in his little fights.

:confused: I did proofread it. :(

Dont be sad, I was just messin' with you. :yay:

you state that like it's something they've actually achieved themselves. That's like me crediting Bruce Willis for saving Nokatomi Plaza and Dulles Airport. It's a fictional achievement.

LOL at your choice of comparison!

:up:

*affectionately ruffles Hulk's hair*

;) :D

Would have been awesome with some extra touchs if Clark's health bar was at least somewhat depleted and instead of "Clark Kent" say "Man of Steel". :ninja:

^ he told me his name was Mick Foley, I thought he looked like Hacksaw which was one of the last guys I remember from watching that stuff, so that's who I assumed he was. Our convo really didnt revolve him as much as it did wrestling in general. A few people came up to him and asked him for autographs while I was there, so I believe he was who he said he was.

Well Mick Foley is the last guy to reherase anything, you ever see him again ask him if he is successful in not getting hurt with all that rehearsing, bit of advice speak into the ear that wasn't ripped off him in Munich.

You know you really shouldn't talk on issue's you don't understand, being a World champion in professional wrestling is for from fictional, it takes talent and hard work. If it were simply fictional then anybody with a six pack of abs could be champion. Is it fictional when an actor wins an award for his performance, if Tom Welling was to win an Oscar would you dismiss it as a fictional achievement?

You know you really shouldn't talk on issue's you don't understand, being a World champion in professional wrestling is for from fictional, it takes talent and hard work. If it were simply fictional then anybody with a six pack of abs could be champion. Is it fictional when an actor wins an award for his performance, if Tom Welling was to win an Oscar would you dismiss it as a fictional achievement?

Good point MJD....I'm not a fan of the genre myself, but you are correct in the amount of work they put into their performances and wins.

Here's an extract from HBK's book to show what it means to him, then I'll stop talking about this cause I'm sure this is annoying a lot of people here for Smallville and not the merits of professional wrestling;

As I knelt in the ring clutching the belt to my chest, reality started to set in. Winning the World Wrestling Federation Championship did not fulfill my boyhood dream. It had far, far exceeded any dream I ever had as a boy. I tried to capture what winning the title meant to me during my post-match celebration, but it was so soon and everything was happening so fast. It would take a little time for everything to sink in completely.
When I made my way back to the dressing room, most of the guys came by and congratulated me. Whether they liked me or not, they knew about my desire to be a wrestler and to be the best. Everyone knew it was a huge moment for me. Wrestling was all I had in my life and this was my moment.
Pat Patterson, the man who had supported me from the first minute Marty [his former tag team partner] and I came in, and had supported me ever since, hugged me. Vince hugged me. Kevin hugged me. It was very emotional, and I was spent both physically and mentally, I broke down crying...
After I left the arena, I had a few moments to myself in my hotel room before I headed over for the post-Wrestlemania party that Vince throws every year. Alone in my room, I was finally able to take a moment a digest what had happened. I waited a long time for this to happen - twelve years. I always believed I could be the best wrestler in the world, but I didn't know if I would ever get to be champion and to be recognized as such. And then there was the constant struggle of being unpopular within the industry, I loved to wrestle, but the politics, the gossip, the "it's all a work, brother" drove me nuts, and I never felt at peace.
Now, I felt at peace. I felt relief and joy. It's the kind of joy I have everyday now. It comes from within. I had plenty of happy moments in my career, but those were different. Those were fleeting moments caused by an external event. Sitting on my bed, staring at the belt and remembering my drive to Louisiana so many years ago, I felt complete. I thought to myself, if it's all over tomorrow, it doesn't matter; I've gone to the top. Those few minutes in my room were nice and quiet. It was the best quiet I ever heard.
I understand winning the World Wrestling Federation Championship in sports entertainment is not the equivalent of winning the Super Bowl. But in this line of work, I don't know what else there is besides the world title that can signify that you deserve to be called the best in the business. If it isn't, at what point in our business do you get to say "Damn, good job you did it."

Finally got to watch Combat this weekend...

HIGHlights:
Loved Clark's righteous (as opposed to redK) anger and intensity. The fight with Titan was amazing.

The conversations with Martha that gave us more insight into his state of mind... I love those heart to hearts.

Lana... so tragic... I really felt for her. (Did you see the knowing look Lex gave her when she took a sip of the sparkling grape juice? He had obviously put something in her glass that induced her pains.)

TW in black leather... *gulp* WOW... as always.

LOWlights:
[SIZE=-1]You know, I'm having enough trouble getting into ED's Lois Lane and that little [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]homoerotic exchange didn't help. At all.

What the heck were they thinking?! Pleeease... [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]I appreciate the need for "sex appeal" but voyeurism, skanky T&A, and lesbianism?! NO. Totally unnecessary and yet another otherwise good episode I will have to censor when my niece and I watch SV together. :mad:

[/SIZE]

I have a question about the "rules" concerning what can hurt Clark. I thought I knew, but may-be not...

Of course the green K makes him sick and vunerable, but how did Titan draw so much blood? I mean, a BOMB going off or dip in a firey furnace wouldn't effect him, so how the heck did Titan manage to damage him?

I can understand how a punch could send Clark flying, but it didn't seem like it should have been more powerful than a bomb blast...

I have a question about the "rules" concerning what can hurt Clark. I thought I knew, but may-be not...

Of course the green K makes him sick and vunerable, but how did Titan draw so much blood? I mean, a BOMB going off or dip in a firey furnace wouldn't effect him, so how the heck did Titan manage to damage him?

I can understand how a punch could send Clark flying, but it didn't seem like it should have been more powerful than a bomb blast...

Besides Kryptonite and Magic, most things can't penetrate his skin.

But there are some Super powered characters, most of them extraterrestrial, that have been able to draw blood without the afformentioned things....one example of this is Doomsday, whom actually killed Superman.

Well Mick Foley is the last guy to reherase anything, you ever see him again ask him if he is successful in not getting hurt with all that rehearsing, bit of advice speak into the ear that wasn't ripped off him in Munich.

as I said before I dont know the guy. I happened to sit next to him at an airport bar a few years back, and he had 2 ears at the time...I think.

LOL that's a flawed analogy. Welling winning an Oscar would be for his acting. He really did the acting, so it's not a fictional achievement. Your wrestling championship scenario is more akin to Tom playing a bodybuilder in a movie and in the film he wins Mr. Universe, and then me citing Tom's Mr. Universe title as one of his career achievements.

I realize pro wrestlers put a lot of time and hard work into what they do, I just find it laughable when you cite one of them as being a "champion" when who wins the title or not is determined ahead of time by the Wrestling Federation based on popularity.

edited, because quote thingy didn't work...

Ok, for some reason, this quote feature seems to be messing up, but basically the intention was to quote from the part of Hulk's review, where he talks about the brawl.

I think it was a helluva fight. I watched the fight bits again, and I loved the choreography, and both Tom and Kane did a good job in making the whole thing, set up look convincing.

Good review, Hulk. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"