• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

10.17 -Kent- Episode Discussion (Spoilers)

Bruce if u read my post back a page we already know what ai jorel can do so sending someone to an alt world isn't that far out of bounds. As for ai jorel he was never inheritatlu an evil being. He was just doing tough love approach with clark. But in last season/two clark and him have gotten a better understanding with each other. Plus as we learned in abandoned the ai didn't have real living jorel heart. Just his know how so that is why ai jorel did the touch love approach.

I don't see much point in trying to justify what happened in this episode. If one pays close attention, they see that continuity and internal logic aren't exactly the show's strength.

Plenty if things happen just to simply serve the episodes plot even if doesn't make much sense in the end.

I don't see much point in trying to justify what happened in this episode. If one pays close attention, they see that continuity and internal logic aren't exactly the show's strength.

Plenty if things happen just to simply serve the episodes plot even if doesn't make much sense in the end.
But if they don't argue or complain about it, then what else will they have to talk about?

:oldrazz:

But if they don't argue or complain about it, then what else will they have to talk about?

Exactly.

Comics and many stories in general are full of plot holes and nonsense... why a genius like Lex doesn't rule the world already or Brainiac? With kryptonite is easy to take care of Superman. Why Superman always conveniently arrives on time to save Lois or save the day, is that logical? Of course not, but that's the way storytelling works to keep people happy.

The episode was good, one of the best in a mediocre season. Jonathan was inspired by CK, Tess resisted her dark side, which shows how Clark has helped her become a better person, Clark Luthor gets a second chance to try to become the Superman of his world. Maybe it was a bit contrived, but they're not going to do a long arc about his redemption. We're seeing how Clark can inspire people for the better, and that's Superman. :up:

:super:

I get it now! You guys are right! We're morons for actually expecting writers to be good at their jobs! Why should they? They're only getting paid for it. Aw! My bad, fellas.

From here on out, I'll turn the old brain off 'cause thinking and logic and consistency and stuff is so stoopid. It's just a tv show! We can let it slide, right? It's all about the ads, anyway.

Thanks for setting us silly internetz peeple str8t. U guys rawk.

Guess I'm gonna start on a little rant here. When it comes to adapting a storyline that is based(loosely or not) on an already existing mythology, then of course there's gonna people not happy with it. It comes with the territory, there's no way to please everybody. There are many people who trash Nolan's Batman films too, despite them being universally praised. So I understand that completely. But something that I kinda have a problem with is when someone says that the Smallville crew don't know how to do their jobs. It's not only about ads and ratings. If WB or DC were as a whole unhappy with the show, they would've shut it down a long time ago. A lot of fans don't know what they're talking about when they start to make judgments like that. Personally, if I was one of the producers, while at conventions or wtv I wouldn't give some of these hardcore fans the time of day. So I would run a show for 10 years and some ****head fanboy is gonna come and tell me that I don't know how to do my job? Hysterical. Again - I understand that no matter what happens some people will complain, but a lot of their arguments are ******ed. Think you can do better, go there and convince WB to do another Superman show and let's see how much better you will do.

Last edited:
I'll be completely honest here. Smallville is my favorite show of all-time and always will be, but I know that it is not the best show on tv right now, nor do I think it has ever been. That's just the truth. There are plenty of other shows that I've never seen that most likely exceed it in every level, like writing, acting, special effects, etc. The biggest draw-in that the series has had is that it's a take on a major iconic character not just in comic books, but also in American history, Superman, even though they made it clear from the start that there were never any intentions to show flight or tights.

With that said, even though I know it's not the best, that doesn't impact why I still watch the show. I was never a comic book fan or a Superman fan, but this show introduced to the character of Clark Kent, and opened me up to the character of Superman and the 70+ years of mythos behind him. There hasn't been much support from the budget, the network or even the fans in recent years, but SV has lasted on television for 10 years, and even though its had its share of highs and lows, the fact that it lasted this long should be celebrated, not criticized, especially at this point. Had these stories been written into a comic series, fans would complain about the usual stuff, but when it ended, no one would really care or remember it because a new series would be on its way a couple of months later.

Yes the show has had shotty writing and plotholes galore in the past, and still does in the present, hence why we refer to things as occurring in "Off-ScreenVille". But the truth of the matter is that it's always been that way. Is it fair? No. Should it be better? Definitely. But at this point in the series, does it matter? We have 3-4 episodes left and many of us are more concerned about the big payoff at the end, but why not just enjoy the journey while it's still here and leave the nit-picking for later when there really won't be anything left to enjoy about the show.

That's not what I'm really saying. If someone points out something blatantly obvious that happened to serve the plot or is some form of deus ex machina, there's no reason to jump on them for not liking it and why they thought it hurt their enjoyment of the episode. Especially when it comes to Smallville.

Could someone tell me the plotholes and illogical events that happened in the episode? I don't think anyone clearly stated them. Humor me.

Could someone tell me the plotholes and illogical events that happened in the episode? I don't think anyone clearly stated them. Humor me.

Well, you could look at the whole CL thing not needing to happen again since they pretty much wrapped that up the last time he was here. So, some may feel they're wasting time with it. The moving into a new apartment and Gold K parts of it, could probably have been put into an episode that at least felt like there was some sort of consequence or was really connected to Darkseid (who's been lacking) with so few episodes left in the season.

As far as plotholes/illogical events within the episode, they essentially made the focus of the Mirror Box pointless if Clark could've have simply used Jor-El to travel to another universe with no problems. You could even bring up the use of/how the Mirror Box works and the show's lack of having any concrete rules when it comes to it.

But, this is Smallville. So, whatever.

Oh my, these plot holes are unbearable!!

How Lex can be so stupid and not kill Clark to rule the world once and for all! Why Darkseid doesn't do it either, he's a freaking God! It doesn't make sense, comics/series/movies writers need to do a better job!! :oldrazz:

Seriously, one could find flaws everywhere, nothing is perfect, that's life. Some need to be more tolerant and relax, life is more enjoyable when you do.

Oh my, these plot holes are unbearable!!

How Lex can be so stupid and not kill Clark to rule the world once and for all! Why Darkseid doesn't do it either, he's a freaking God! It doesn't make sense, comics/series/movies writers need to do a better job!! :oldrazz:

Seriously, one could find flaws everywhere, nothing is perfect, that's life. Some need to be more tolerant and relax, life is more enjoyable when you do.

What reason would Lex have to kill Clark on this show? We aren't dealing with a post-Superman story here or a world were Lex could easily take it over.

They clearly went with the approach of having Darkseid be more calculating when it comes to taking over this world by trying to affect the people on a psychological level and then striking when they're weak.

No need to try to make these types of complaints sound trivial when they aren't. No one denying flaws can happen. Just that it would be nice if the writers actually tried to have their stories make sense even within the context of the show.

^^ Is not a matter of post-Superman, in the series Lex already considers Clark as his enemy. Obviously, he's not going to kill him, nor Darkseid, Brainiac, Zod... Superman will always conveniently save the day, evil will always be defeated, even if is not logical at all. If we're going to use logic, then we have to be consistent with it. ;)

^^ Is not a matter of post-Superman, in the series Lex already considers Clark as his enemy. Obviously, he's not going to kill him, nor Darkseid, Brainiac, Zod... Superman will always conveniently save the day, evil will always be defeated, even if is not logical at all. If we're going to use logic, then we have to be consistent with it. ;)

Well, there was never really a reason for Lex to try to kill Clark. He even left the show saying, "I love you like a brother," but still went ahead and tried to kill him.

Brainiac and Zod have either tried to kill Clark or put him in the PZ. Darkseid remains to be seen.

As always, the villains will fail to try again another day in some future we'll never see.

All that has nothing to do with logic. It's just the nature of being able to keep telling stories with these characters. No one is complaining about that. Not having concrete rules about certain devices, internal logic, or pulling deus ex machina is where some people have problems. Again, it seems like you're trying to make this issue some may have with the show to sound like it's something trivial, when it's not.

Great episode Plotholes aside. Loved seeing Clark Luthor. People complain too much here lately it seems.

Yep, nothing new. I remember the first time I heard about Smallville. It was around the time it came out. I was a freshman in highschool then and I still didn't know almost anything about Superman's story including his hometown. But I saw the S symbol on the promos and started to do some digging cause it really intrigued me. So when I started going in forums and other sites to learn something more about it, it was the exact same thing as it is now - people *****ing and complaining about it all the time, how it doesn't follow the comics, how Clark doesn't fly or wear a costume, how it "shoves the relationships down our throats", how Clark "can't do nothing on his own", how some character should not be around all the time and I can go on and on. It's hilarious to see how ten years later, the same types of people still complain about the same types of things. But the thing is, many of them say that Smallville was better in the past, while ignoring the fact how much they were trashing it back then too. This final season really exposed many people for the naive hypocrites who they are. And that is just one of the many examples why sometimes the majority of the Smallville fanbase sickens me.

Last edited:
Liked this episode quite abit, there were a couple of plot elements that were questionable.. however I'm content to overlook them for the simple fact that I liked the 'mirror box episode' the first time round & I liked this 'mirror box episode' because it kinda nicely wrapped up that little arc. I liked how Clark seemed to be very inspirational in this episode towards Jonathan & his alternate self, that's the type of **** Superman should be doing.. not just catching buses & aimlessly saving people, but inspiring them to be better. :up:

Booster looks like it is gonna be a filler episode more than this, but at the same time it looks funny.. so I'll give it a chance. :D

The weather interrupted my satellite for a few minutes (from when CK and alt Jonathan were talking to when CK and CL were in the fortress), so perhaps I missed something in the episode that addressed this, but I kinda wish Clark had brought alt Jonathan back with him. I mean, he lost his farm, his wife left him, he was a bitter old man...but Clark has a farm he's about to be leaving, Martha is a Senator and really misses Jonathan...Alt Jonathan could have the life he always should have.

I think it would have been a good way to bring Jonathan "back from the dead" before the end of the series.

I mean, we've got alt Lionel Luthor running around. Can't we get Jonathan back too?

The weather interrupted my satellite for a few minutes (from when CK and alt Jonathan were talking to when CK and CL were in the fortress), so perhaps I missed something in the episode that addressed this, but I kinda wish Clark had brought alt Jonathan back with him. I mean, he lost his farm, his wife left him, he was a bitter old man...but Clark has a farm he's about to be leaving, Martha is a Senator and really misses Jonathan...Alt Jonathan could have the life he always should have.

I think it would have been a good way to bring Jonathan "back from the dead" before the end of the series.

I mean, we've got alt Lionel Luthor running around. Can't we get Jonathan back too?

Emil fixed the Mirror Box and Clark got pulled out of Earth 2.

[YT]kxNMSurquSg[/YT]

Based on the preview for the finale, it seems Pa Kent will be back somehow. Just have to wait and see how exactly.

^Hey, thanks for that! Like I said, wish Clark had been able to bring Jonathan back with him. But hopefully you're right and he will be back.

^Hey, thanks for that! Like I said, wish Clark had been able to bring Jonathan back with him. But hopefully you're right and he will be back.

No problem. :up:

Here's the preview if you haven't seen it...

[YT]TV7ttZueyq8[/YT]

One thing that was kinda weird is how exactly did he manage to fix it. It's an alien technology after all. ;) I guess Lionel's diaries and Chloe's database contain some pretty deep kryptonian knowledge. :D

I still don't see any issues with the episode like I stated earlier for episode I don't see any big plothole issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"