9.10 - Disciple- Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

So, I didn't look back through the thread, so forgive me for not looking, but is the Dark Archer original to Smallville?

I tried to find stuff on him online for my review and I couldn't find a thing...

Anyone would who can fill me in, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks....

Here's what wikipedia has on him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlyn_(DC_Comics)

I remember he was feature in DC's Identity Crisis, but that's the only place I've seen him in the comics. I think he's the same but they don't mention Smallville in his media appearances??

Last edited:
Here's what wikipedia has on him

I remember he was feature in DC's Identity Crisis, but that's the only place I've seen him in the comics. I think he's the same but they don't mention Smallville in his media appearances??

Slightly different origin, but the Dark Archer does appear to parrallel Merlyn in parts of his.

Thanks... I like to give the new characters some context, if possible.

Although, that link was bad...

I thought it was the best Green Arrow episode they've done so far in the series. Better than Toxic and way better than Roulette. Loved the story of the Dark Archer and it's cult. The Clark/Lois scenes were some of the best they've done and the dinamic of the Clark/Zod scenes were electric. I loved how in the end Clark said that if Zod came near Lois again he would destroy them all.
I'm not sure why they keep bringing up Ollie still having feeling for Lois but I assume this episode was just and hopefully the final chapter on him coming out stronger for his recent trials and tribulations and his relationship with Mia and him training her will keep him focused where his destiny lies.
I think it was a better episode than ppl may give it credit for (some may even overlook it because they can't wait for Absolute Justice and are so psyched for it) and it was another good job the SV writers did in bringing another part of the DC Comics (in this case from the Green Arrow...) mythology.
Now...on to Absolute Justice ! ;0)

yea the character was like others have pointed out pretty much based on the Green Arrow villain Arthur king aka merlyn. But what ever the reasons were it looks like smallville producers were not able to secure the rights to the character name/backstory. So that was why a slightly different story and name for the character. Though i thought they did handle the guy pretty well. i would love to know official reason why he couldnt have been merlyn. Cause the character isnt appearing in any cartoons presently, and i dont think is apart of anything major right now related to other dc media projects. I do know he was in the david goyer green arrow supermax prision movie. But last i read months back goyer stated the film was pretty dead at the moment. So i dont really see any other reasons on blockage of the name. But that is the nature of the beast with sv at times. All the darn red tape with being X dc character in or what not.

I know in the comics Kal-el used to mean Star-Child

I don't remember the exact line, but in the show Kara and Lara were talking about the stars (maybe something about their son looking up at the stars and thinking of them) and that's when the name was suggested.

"Kal" means "child" and "El" means "star" in the kryptonian language; hence, "Kal-El" means "Star Child." :super:

Kara: Have you given your baby a name yet?

Lara: No. With everything happening on Krypton, Jor-El and I have yet to discuss one. He'll be so far from home. Our sun will be nothing but a distant star.

Kara: Maybe you could name him Kal-El. And that way, when he looks at the sky, he could think of us.

Lara: Kal-El. Well, that's a beautiful name.~ "Lara" season 7 episode 6

Ahh.... thank you. That helps clear up my confusion. When Kara said "Star" she didnt specifically mean the name of the Kryptonian Star.... just "star" in general.

I really didn't care for this episode. Isn't this the 3rd or 4th time Oliver has had to face his darkside? Wasn't the whole Lois and Oliver thing put to bed along time ago? Could there be a more useless or bland character than Speedy? Chloe seriously thinks Oliver has split personality disorder? Really?

Really looking forward to Absolute Justice. A Chloe/Oliver realtionship, not so much.

This was possibly the most boring episode of SV I've seen :down No more Oliver stories pls.

Glad SV is back. That was a loooong hiatus to me. The writers seem to be really lazy w/ the whole Ollie/Lois stuff. I'm pretty sure Ollie had just as strong feelings for Tess but I guess they just forgot about that.:whatever: Clark needs to just be more proactive and find a way to deal w/ Zod. He has to know that no good is going to come from this.

Can't wait til next week.

i didnt think it was boring at all. Sure ollie episodes i know folks dont like them alot. But i thought the story was well, and time was spilt well between all the regulars. Plus ironically clark had the most screen time by 2 mins over ollie. So it really wasnt so ollie centric. Plus the whole lois thing sure its smallville old bag with triangles but it really wasnt about love to much more about him caring for lois and all that. Plus the whole motto to the cult he was in and all that.

i didnt think it was boring at all. Sure ollie episodes i know folks dont like them alot. But i thought the story was well, and time was spilt well between all the regulars. Plus ironically clark had the most screen time by 2 mins over ollie. So it really wasnt so ollie centric. Plus the whole lois thing sure its smallville old bag with triangles but it really wasnt about love to much more about him caring for lois and all that. Plus the whole motto to the cult he was in and all that.

At least this episode was much better than Toxic. I don't care too much for the Oliver Queen/Green Arrow episodes.

I think I'm one of the few people on Earth who enjoyed "Toxic" lol

Glad SV is back. That was a loooong hiatus to me. The writers seem to be really lazy w/ the whole Ollie/Lois stuff. I'm pretty sure Ollie had just as strong feelings for Tess but I guess they just forgot about that.:whatever: Clark needs to just be more proactive and find a way to deal w/ Zod. He has to know that no good is going to come from this.

Can't wait til next week.

He knows it, but he's not going to defeat Zod now with half a season left for obvious reasons, TPTB did a good job showing Clark distrusting Zod, the kandorian knows he has to be careful with Kal-El.

I thought the ep was pretty dull overall, nothing special in my eyes. And it seems that even knowing the future, Clark is still setting up his situation with Zod to play out nearly the same way...

I actually like what they've been doing with Chloe. Zod, is ALRIGHT. But I feel things could be improved. I think it's time for Green Arrow to move past his inner demons now and be a hero again.

I loved this episode this show never fails to amaze me! Dark Archer was very cool (and brought to my attention how heavy SV is on the Stargate actors. :p). I really enjoyed the stuff between Lois and Zod.

well yea canada shows tend to reuse actors over and over again. plus the dark archer was in the pilot episode for smallville too, he was the garage guy that jermey creek killed.

I thought the episode was all right... maybe I was just happy to see the show back. I do agree, though, with the "less Ollie-centric stories, please" sentiment. Dude has had way more than his fair share of time for basically being a sulking sad-sack. Moving on to more interesting things...

yea i agree there but i thought time between all the leads were good, and if u got back a few pages i posted screen times of all the characters and it was pretty decent amount for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"