9.10 - Disciple- Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I saw that, so yes, I know that Oliver wasn't dominating the episode in screen time, but still, it's not just an issue of screen time, it's an issue of focus. I'm watching the show to see Clark become Superman.

I thought the episode was all right... maybe I was just happy to see the show back. I do agree, though, with the "less Ollie-centric stories, please" sentiment. Dude has had way more than his fair share of time for basically being a sulking sad-sack. Moving on to more interesting things...

the good news is that Disciple was the last episode we see Oliver as a "sulking sad-sack". I'm sure he'll be back to his hero form when Absolute Justice airs.

yea that is the problem when you have an such a big cast getting focus shared equally between everyone. That has never been sv best thing. Look back at early yrs characters like pete, chloe, were shafted in the early yrs for others. Then things changed. But the one main thing to look at this yr the main drive has been clark and him being mature and proactive hero.

I hope that the Dark Archer appears again, I think he would be a great recurring villain.

well since folks dont really want to much more ollie focused episodes. i rather leave him open like they did so if their was a green arrow spinoff for him to be a major baddie there. But at this rate who knows if cw would do a spin off from smallville. i definately would love to see the universe continue on once sv ends.

Finally saw the episode. My family and I normally get a kick out of Tom Welling's faces when he saves somebody mid-superspeed. But the face he made last week while taking those 3 arrows to the back is my favorite by far. The pose = classic! :funny:

I think this episode was really really good. I loved the whole story. For once , Zod was a bit down. But I found Ollie particularly well played, and Justin Hartley acting particularly well! And as ALWAYS, Erica Durance was excellent, especially the small smiling scene in the hospital with Zod.
I think the girl (I don't know her name) playing Mia, is good, she got guts, she is sensitive. I think most of the scenes between Ollie and Mia were good.
I read Green Arrow/black Canary each month, and I find that they have difficulties establishing bad guys for the duo, yet Smallville succeeded in this episode. I found the dark celtic archer excellent. Very good episode.
:up:

Hey trip Ksite has your review up now:
http://www.kryptonsite.com/disciplereview.htm

Once again a very good review on the episode. I love your thoughts on the episodes. And also like when you talk about all the behind the scenes folks.

Thanks... barely got time to breath lately.

Been working some OT, need the money, but I'm bone tired. I'm going to have to rethink the scoring...

I don't think this deserved a 4, but I liked it better than Roulette and Pandora, which I also gave a four.

The scoring is going to have to change, this excellent season has spoiled the curve...

;)

this may be because i'm in a bad mood, and i really don't mean to troll, but quite frankly triplet, i'm sick of you and a few others on here saying how "fantastic" a job tom welling does on this show.

i'll admit, there are times when he is entertaining, and has delivered the emotion required for certain scenes, but most of the time i would call his performances sub-standard.

it's quite clear you have a major crush on the guy, and i think that this affects your rational judgement.

if people would actually open their eyes and get over their lust of welling, they would actually be able to see how sub standard this show actually is at times, make the appropriate complaints, then watch as people take notice and change the show for the better.(fair play to the people on here who do critisise.)

"but why do you watch if you are so dissapointed by it?" i hear you ask-

because name another dc character with his own series at the moment (non-animated) --- a superman film is dead at the moment so i watch smallville for it's occasional good moments and dc comic references.

to me, wellings lack of interest in the character of superman rubs off, that's why we have neo-clark,(he's against the idea of the superman costume) and that's why the guy hasn't cut his hair in nine years.(not to mention the flight thing)

then again, maybe you think looking into the camera as if you have trapped wind is "fantastic"

i do not. good day.

Superman is a pretty dry character, so if your complaint is that Welling is one dimensional and lacking a variety of emotions then I suppose he's doing his job perfectly. At that point in Clark's like, he goes from being slightly irritated to awkward around Lois then looking off into the sky as he contemplates his "destiny". I think Welling only has those 3 emotions so he's spot on haha.

this may be because i'm in a bad mood, and i really don't mean to troll, but quite frankly triplet, i'm sick of you and a few others on here saying how "fantastic" a job tom welling does on this show.

i'll admit, there are times when he is entertaining, and has delivered the emotion required for certain scenes, but most of the time i would call his performances sub-standard.

it's quite clear you have a major crush on the guy, and i think that this affects your rational judgement.

if people would actually open their eyes and get over their lust of welling, they would actually be able to see how sub standard this show actually is at times, make the appropriate complaints, then watch as people take notice and change the show for the better.(fair play to the people on here who do critisise.)

because name another dc character with his own series at the moment (non-animated) --- a superman film is dead at the moment so i watch smallville for it's occasional good moments and dc comic references.

to me, wellings lack of interest in the character of superman rubs off, that's why we have neo-clark,(he's against the idea of the superman costume) and that's why the guy hasn't cut his hair in nine years.(not to mention the flight thing)

then again, maybe you think looking into the camera as if you have trapped wind is "fantastic"

i do not. good day.

Or you may be just highly annoying.

Have you ever asked yourself if we're sick of your posts? Guess not, since nobody ever told you anything.

i do not. good day.

I have a 'crush' but it is one tempered with rational judgement.

I'm not a young girl squeeling with joy everytime I see him. Yes, I think he's gorgeous, but so are a lot of other men in Hollywood and on TV and I'm not not writing reviews of those shows. I love the show, but I love Tom too. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a fan of the man. And I think Tom is underrated as an actor, but you are of course entitled to your opinion, as I am for mine.

Tom is underrated, I believe, because his style of acting is very natural. Also, the reaction shots (which are scripted, btw) for some reason make people think he's as blank as his stare at the end of the scene is... Not sure why that is, because everyone does reaction shots.

All TV genres have them, but Sci-Fi/Action Adventure tend to have more, so all actors in TV, at one time or another, do reaction shots. Yet, Allison or Erica don't get **** for their reaction shots, yet Tom is always getting criticized for his...

I don't get that because Tom's not an empty slate. He's a very smart man who has done some remarkable work on the show When he's done less than what I think he could have, I bust him on it. I'm not so biased I never do that...

And his hair needs to be longer for it look right when it's brushed back off of his face and to get that hint of a curl across his forehead... not sure why you picked on that.

As for the costume and his wanting, or not wanting, to be Superman. I think in terms of the show, that's the right decision to make. The show is about Clark becoming Superman.

Once he pulls on the tights the show's over.

As far as him maybe doing the feature, who knows? I think it's possible, but he'll probably want to do something else. He's been doing this a long time, I think he'd make a good Superman but if they're going for a season 10, they could even build off that to an extent. Have Tom film the new film next summer...

Who knows?

As for Tom's acting, I think it's subtle yet powerful. I adore his acting, it's not as obvious as Callum Blue's for example or even John Glover's or Michael Rosenbaum's...

He's got a relaxed, natural style that I like quite a bit. It makes Clark seem more like a real person.

A broader portrayal wouldn't have suited the style of the show, so I'm a very happy Superman fan.

good points, triplet . i made those comments in anger, so sorry if i came across harsh .
i'm not saying i have a problem with tom welling , i think he is smart and capable of so much more , i think thats what got to me.

as for his hair, i meant it's too long at the back and sides,like a mullet

yea annie that is all your opinons. Sure i bet all fans of the show can say there has been many ups and downs through the 9 yrs the show has been on. HEck i do. Though this season has been very good and consistant which is great for being in its 9th yr. As for all the actors each i like for many different things and each are good at different things with their acting skills, writing skills, or even directing skills. Also annie if you gone through all the years tom's hair has changed many times from being short to long, messy, to styled very nicely.

And trip i totally understand about the work stuff, and we all know you have your regular life. So when ever your reviews come in its good. Heck i am still tryin to nab a job myself. Dam it being so hard.

Good review trip .

Thanks...

I adored the Lois and Clark bits and the Clark and Zod bits, the Vordigan/Oliver bits? Not as much, but Mia did improve a bit over her previous appearance in (what was it) Crossfire?

good points, triplet . i made those comments in anger, so sorry if i came across harsh .

That's fine... It's okay to get passionate about something.

i'm not saying i have a problem with tom welling , i think he is smart and capable of so much more , i think thats what got to me.

I think Tom is being held back a bit by the show, which is why I wouldn't mind him passing on bringing Supes to the big screen, so I would love to see him do something else. I think he is capable of more than they let him do.

He's shown he can be so much more, when given the opportunity. He's had some very strong performances when Clark has been altered and isn't so closed off emotionally, like when he's under Red-K or been taken over by something.

I loathed Spirit, but Tom as the crown-greedy prom-queen wannabe? That was awesome... and he did such a great job in Blank and Transference and Labyrinth. Oh, and Splinter? One of his best performances.

The man can act.

:heart: :super:

as for his hair, i meant it's too long at the back and sides,like a mullet

Well, I don't think it looks like a mullet to me (I live in mullet heaven, northwest Florida, also known as Lower Alabama...), but it's the style, to have a little length in the back for the front to blend into.

I personally like guys with short hair on the side and longer hair on top, the so-called Boy's Cut, and Tom's hair had been cut that short early last summer (there were some pics of him like that, although I don't have one handy and he's never had it that short on the show), but he looked awesome in that cut.

I think that would be too short for Clark, however...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"